Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

This is complete 100% bullshit.
That said, Young is guilty of embracing or ignoring science due to politics.  I don't understand how you can be anti-GMO and pro-vaccine.  Well, I can, because this country is full of comically hypocritical people.  We're just used to mocking the right wing ones more.
Neil Young is a certified badass all time rock and roll great with a handful of suspect opinions.  I'm bummed that he pulled his music off Spotify, but I own his best albums (On The Beach, Tonight's the Night) already anyway.

I dont know a whole lot about GMO, but it js not a necessary part of our food supply.

On the other hand, Big Pharm has us by the balls on vaccines and whatever they need to do to produce and distribute life-saving vaccines, we try to accommodate them.

Strangely I can remember a time long, long ago when the GOP often relied on factual information in decision making, and did not wholesale and embrace lies as a means of day to day rationalization for a myriad of uninformed political positions.  

Rogan is EXACTLY what a lot of males in the country want, and escape from reality.  Joe Rogan is likely going to weather this, unless a couple more big names start hopping in with Neal Young.  Even then Rogan will have a huge audience, because a large swath our our country WANTS to be misinformed.  Because the misinformation, reinforced the misinformed opinions they already hold.  Same as Fox News, lies don't matter, dollars matter.

I wish the GOP as a collective was better informed.  THE GOP is simply a minority race identity party. If you doubt this statement?  I will give this as my evidence -- Unless you are 60 you haven't voted in an election where a first term Republican President actually received more votes than their Democratic opponent.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Bravo said:

This is rich. Howard Steen of all people wants Rogan to be censored. He was censored his entire career and moved to satellite radio finally to get away from it. Hypocrisy at its finest. He doesn't even see it. I used to be a huge fan but his show started to suck ass 7-10 yrs ago so stopped listening. 

Not even remotely the same situation.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, F250 said:

I knew this person that regularly listened to Rogan and is a big Peterson fan. Typical lifestyle of crossfit paleo fanaticism and holistic medicine. A very attractive blonde blue eyed fit 26 yr old female that really liked to talk about Peterson. There was this one time she was explaining some insight she got from a Peterson podcast on feminine empowerment derived from sexual objectivity.

I must admit when she explained this concept I looked something like this.

"Go on."

lenny-thinking.gif

I don't listen to either of these guys but from the samples I've seen did it go like this?

- For women, being an object of sexual desire puts you in a position of power over the men that desire you.  You can use this power to your advantage.  Ok, let's remind our audience today's podcast is brought to you by SeekingArrangement.com

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

Howard Stern calling for the censorship of anyone is hypocrisy. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say.

BTW the dude is weird now and has been disconnected from reality for a long time. He got mixed up with the celebrity elites in the Hamptons a while back and he changed quite a bit. Also, he is so scared of covid he moved to FL and lives bunkered up on his estate rarely leaving. He isn't the same guy anymore is what I am saying so this actually didn't shock me he said this. 

Hi Q!

Howard Stern calling for the censorship of anyone is hypocrisy. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say.

BTW the dude is weird now and has been disconnected from reality for a long time. He got. Mixed up with the celebrity elites in the Hamptons a while back and he changed quite a bit. Also, he is so scared of covid he moved to FL and lives bunkered up on his estate rarely leaving. He isn't the same guy anymore is what I am saying so this actually didn't shock me he said this. 

What I mean is that the "censorship" that Stern faced was strictly over whether the things he was doing were obscene or not. He was tasteless at times and pushed the boundaries. But he was satire. Nobody took the Whack Pack's advice on real-life, important matters. They just laughed at Beetlejuice or Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, etc. They weren't making political decisions, or health decisions based on shit that Beet would say.

I haven't listened to Stern in years so can't speak to his show today. He's been a germaphobe so I'm not surprised that he's bunkered himself away due to COVID. I know one thing, though, he's a bajillion times more intelligent than Joe Fucking Rogan.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think people change as they age and honestly I think that Stern, underneath all those layers of craziness that he built his show and career on, is a guy who does actually care about his fellow human beings. I have never gotten a vibe from listening to Stern that says this guy is the kind of person that would be doing what Rogan is doing. Plus I have always found Robin Quivers to be entertaining in the back and forth banter they have. 

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

How is it not even remotely the same? That seems like too aggressive an adverb to use there. I can see it not being the same, but remotely? There are similarities…

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

On 1/26/2022 at 10:37 AM, Brisketexan said:

This.

Look, I'm an old fart.  I remember when absolutely batshit insane, irrational, and detached-from-reality-and truth "pamphlets" were how people indulged in this shit.  I went to gun shows and similar events 30-40 years ago, and occasionally, there were some "fringe-y" types around, or some guy's table also had a stack of "newsletters" about how the illuminati were hiding proof of aliens and having perverse sex with them along with JFK who was actually still alive and tag-teaming the still-alive Marilyn with Elvis (I'm not saying I picked up a newsletter to read that particular story, but I'm also not saying I didn't).  

But their distribution was......limited.  The nutbars reached.....dozens of people.

Now, through the magic of internet first, and then the amplification of such things as the approach got picked up by "celebrity" types, the same inane, utterly batshit crap I once saw on hand-printed newsletters at a SE TX gun show in 1986 now get an audience of 11 million people.

I didn't worry about these ideas when they were only communicated among a few dozen gullible morons.  Now that the gullible morons have a common source, and have become the largest single "information consuming" audience in the country....yeah, it's fucking troubling.

Listen to some of that batshit crap he's selling.  Fucking listen to it. You're not "black" unless your skin is midnight black?  Ignoring (just for starters) the continuing legacy of treatment of people of even fractional african descent in this country for centuries?  The treatment of such people by the law and law enforcement?  How your dad would have felt if your daughter brought home one of those lighter-skinned black guys?  Jesus fucknuts, what the fucking fuck?

You're goddammed right the problem is that idiotic shit like that has an audience of 11 million people.  It should make everyone concerned.

I share your concern here because of the audience size that is listening to him. I don’t listen to Rogan, but it is not because I hate him. I just don’t really listen to podcasts and until recently I did not realize how much of a negative effect this guy is having with his “I’m a moron that’s just asking questions” approach on his show.

I think that in a society we all have a responsibility to be a good part of it. We all have our own weight to carry so to speak. Rogan has 11 million plus people listening to him. I assume there are many vaxxed listeners who just watch or listen for the celebrity guests he has. There are also some I assume that listen to his vaccine stuff and go right along with it. That is absolutely an irresponsible use of a media platform. He could be doing a lot of good in spreading news about the vaccine and how it is saving countless lives. He is messing around and eventually, like almost everyone e who wants to be the contrarian, he’ll find out. You play with fire long enough you’ll eventually get burned.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I think people change as they age and honestly I think that Stern, underneath all those layers of craziness that he built his show and career on, is a guy who does actually care about his fellow human beings. I have never gotten a vibe from listening to Stern that says this guy is the kind of person that would be doing what Rogan is doing. Plus I have always found Robin Quivers to be entertaining in the back and forth banter they have. 

Schtick aside, he absolutely cares about his fellow man.

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I just don’t really listen to podcasts

There's a common thread here.....people who get a huge chunk of their information from podcasts and Youtube videos.  Seriously, I think it would be fascinating to poll people's opinions, and segregate them out by news source.

My hypothesis is that people who get a big chunk of their information from the "just asking questions" type sources -- that allow people to "just ask questions" without being challenged by actual, credible and reliable data and such -- are going to fall for misinformation bullshit.

Rogan is not a source of good, trustworthy information on most topics.  He shouldn't be treated as such.  But he is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bravo said:

So what are you saying exactly? You want him censored or no? 

I am very libertarian on free speech issues and always have been. Our country was founded on freedom of speech even if you don't agree with it or it is misinformed in your eyes, offensive, etc. . I want people to keep in mind some of the worst things in history have been done almost always to protect the public from "harm" or for greater good. The thought police stuff would fall into that. 

Who's advocating for Rogan to face government action for his speech? That's the definition of censorship. 

It sounds more like you don't want consequences for speech than you want freedom of speech.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There's a common thread here.....people who get a huge chunk of their information from podcasts and Youtube videos.  Seriously, I think it would be fascinating to poll people's opinions, and segregate them out by news source.

My hypothesis is that people who get a big chunk of their information from the "just asking questions" type sources -- that allow people to "just ask questions" without being challenged by actual, credible and reliable data and such -- are going to fall for misinformation bullshit.

Rogan is not a source of good, trustworthy information on most topics.  He shouldn't be treated as such.  But he is.

there’s still a large part of this country that thinks “he wouldn’t have his own podcast/youtube show unless he knew what he was talking about!”

after years of experience seeing what a canon xl1 and a bright shining light will do to a group of people who acted like they were somehow “on tv”, this development is the opposite of shocking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Rogan is just like any media source. People only pay attention to mediums which re-affirm their beliefs. Rogan appeals to the dumb as a rock idiot jocks in high school who grew up to be just as dumb adults. He's the poster child for bro culture. If someone is listening to Rogan to "learn" shit, that someone probably hasn't read a book since sophomore year in high school.

10 minutes ago, Bravo said:

In the end he was censored for unapproved inappropriate content. He hated it. He moved to satellite radio to get away from it. BTW I was the biggest fan for 20 yrs. I mean waiting 3 hrs to get a pic w/ bababooey on a promotional appearance at a lake travis bar, 1st person to see his movie on 1st day in Austin, took off work for his 1st day on Sirius so I could listen, Butt Bongo PPV. I know his story well. He is being a hypocrite of the highest order. 

Is he? Did any of Stern's antics put the lives of his listeners in danger of misinformation to the point they could die, or prolong a global pandemic longer than it needs to? And, again, Stern's guests were laughed at or with. Howard has always been about entertainment. He's mixed in quite a bit of integrity and solid interviewing over the years. Whether he likes it nor not, Rogan puts himself out there as a source of information. It doesn't sound like he challenges any of his "experts." Some of his guests are legit. Many others have taken advantage of a platform and host who will let them say whatever the fuck they want without pushback. Howard is a free speech touchstone. So was Larry Flynt. But even those two knew you can't walk into a movie theater and yell "fire!" and not face repercussions. I'm sorry that America is too dumb to critically think about many of the things they're consuming online, on TV or on podcasts, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have no problem with private companies choosing who they want to do business with as long as it isn't pressured by govt. When for instance you have the Surgeon General implying Rogan being censored and you have govt in bed with big tech which is running cover and doing their dirty work then we should all have a huge issue with that. 

The surgeon general's primary responsibility is to provide scientific information available on how to improve their health and reduce the risk of illness and injury.

Rogan's actions directly oppose that mission and muddy those waters.

He's not the focus of ire because of his political or religious beliefs - Rogan is in getting heat because he's directly contributing and platforming medical and scientific disinformation.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bravo said:

So what are you saying exactly? You want him censored or no? 

I am very libertarian on free speech issues and always have been. Our country was founded on freedom of speech even if you don't agree with it or it is misinformed in your eyes, offensive, etc. . I want people to keep in mind some of the worst things in history have been done almost always to protect the public from "harm" or for greater good. The thought police stuff would fall into that. 

This isn’t a free speech issue insomuch as it’s not related to government controlled speech. 

spotify knew what Rogan was as when they added him to their roster, so they likely wouldn’t be persuaded to drop him but it’s entirely fair for people to vocalize their disappointment in the company, let them know, and/or take measures such as boycott or letter writing in an effort to sway their opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I was waiting for the fire in the movie theater argument. That's quite the jump there to equate this to something like that. OK, this will be fun. Who gets to decide what is considered yelling "fire" in a movie theater? 

Stern left terrestrial radio because A) he got several hundred million dollars and B) it allowed him to say the "7 dirty words" to his heart's content and push the boundaries of his sophomoric humor further than regular radio. Nobody ever took Howard's shows very seriously. It was entertainment -- and everybody knew it.

8 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I was waiting for the fire in the movie theater argument. That's quite the jump there to equate this to something like that. OK, this will be fun. Who gets to decide what is considered yelling "fire" in a movie theater? 

Look, this isn’t difficult. They are smarter than you and know what’s better for you. It just breaks their hearts to see all these Rogan listeners that they disparage and despise putting themselves at risk. Wake up and accept their moral superiority. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Look, this isn’t difficult. They are smarter than you and know what’s better for you. It just breaks their hearts to see all these Rogan listeners that they disparage and despise putting themselves at risk. Wake up and accept their moral superiority. 

Troy Laugh GIF - Troy Laugh Point - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This isn’t a free speech issue insomuch as it’s not related to government controlled speech. 

spotify knew what Rogan was as when they added him to their roster, so they likely wouldn’t be persuaded to drop him but it’s entirely fair for people to vocalize their disappointment in the company, let them know, and/or take measures such as boycott or letter writing in an effort to sway their opinion. 

How about we game this out.  Let's imagine that there is a wildly popular podcast by a guy named Roe Jogan.  Roe has a loyal audience of 11 million who super-love him, and are heavily influenced by what he says.

On his show, Roe actively encourages and amplifies the following viewpoints:

- black people are a scourge, and should be exterminated.

- big pharma doesn't want you to know this, but the key to good health is to ingest lead.  And if you are a decent parent, and not a shithead, you will add lead to your infant's baby food.

- If anyone has a bumper sticker for a politician you disagree with, you should shoot them.  If enough of us do this, then the law won't be able to stop us all, and we will effectively make our own law.

- anyone who serves warm fruit cobbler WITHOUT ice cream is an asshole and should be relentlessly shamed.

I mean, as much as I STRONGLY agree with the fourth point, and see it as the most concerning issue of our times......I would have a big problem with any person or company giving Roe a platform because of how horrific, dangerous, and destructive points 1-3 are.  That's what a decent and responsible society does.  I can't stop Roe from having stupid and dangerous ideas, nor should I be able to -- privately or through government action.   But I CAN and SHOULD take whatever action I can to make sure Roe doesn't have a platform to encourage 11 million people to do that awful shit in points 1-3.

Is the "free speech!  No consequences!" crowd going to stand in the breach, and fight against any pressure on Platform X to maybe not supply Roe with the platform to reach and influence 11 million people with that crap?  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How about we game this out.  Let's imagine that there is a wildly popular podcast by a guy named Roe Jogan.  Roe has a loyal audience of 11 million who super-love him, and are heavily influenced by what he says.

- big pharma doesn't want you to know this, but the key to good health is to ingest lead.  And if you are a decent parent, and not a shithead, you will add lead to your infant's baby food.

- If anyone has a bumper sticker for a politician you disagree with, you should shoot them.  If enough of us do this, then the law won't be able to stop us all, and we will effectively make our own law.

- anyone who serves warm fruit cobbler WITHOUT ice cream is an asshole and should be relentlessly shamed.

I mean, as much as I STRONGLY agree with the fourth point, and see it as the most concerning issue of our times......I would have a big problem with any person or company giving Roe a platform because of how horrific, dangerous, and destructive points 1-3 are.  That's what a decent and responsible society does.  I can't stop Roe from having stupid and dangerous ideas, nor should I be able to -- privately or through government action.   But I CAN and SHOULD take whatever action I can to make sure Roe doesn't have a platform to encourage 11 million people to do that awful shit in points 1-3.

Is the "free speech!  No consequences!" crowd going to stand in the breach, and fight against any pressure on Platform X to maybe not supply Roe with the platform to reach and influence 11 million people with that crap?  

wHY yOu No LEt me gIVe mY baby LeAD? I wILL nOT acCePt YoUr MoRal sUpeRiorty!!

But seriously, of course trying to get Rogan taken off Spotify is the wrong answer. The right answer is to have these folks that disagree with him to get on his podcast and call his ass out. Of course people are going to dig when you are condescending towards them. How can people that are so educated suck so badly at predicting human behavior? 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I'm sorry that you're so insecure about your intelligence.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The problem with the argument is that despite what you or others here ardently believe, his stances aren’t akin to telling people to drink bleach.

”If you aren’t fat and pretty healthy, what’s the big whoop about not wanting the vaccine? Eh I’ll take my chances”

=

“Absolutely and completely morally irresponsible and killing human being directly and indirectly” to people like you.

Which in a Streisand effect sort of way makes him more popular. Because old tawdry, think-they-know-it-alls like some of you people are trying to quiet someone who has reasonable contrarian takes, it makes others want to support him or like him more as a referendum on your perceived absurdity.

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Fuck You 2

Also who would have thought Howard Stern’s racism and misogyny and all the other problematic behaviors (ableism, little people, etc.) would be so whitewashed just 10 or 20 years later as “satire” by people on here.

It’s really true that politics make strange bedfellows and the friend of my enemy is a friend. 

If Don Imus was smart he’d put out a press release about how Joe Rogan sucks and he’s been vaccinated 4 times and he might get a second chance.

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

But seriously, of course trying to get Rogan taken off Spotify is the wrong answer. The right answer is to have these folks that disagree with him to get on his podcast and call his ass out. Of course people are going to dig when you are condescending towards them. How can people that are so educated suck so badly at predicting human behavior? 

you mean go on his show and argue the merits of the term "black" as it relates to describing people? that hard hitting type shit?

do you argue with your idiot 5 year old nephew when he says stupid shit? do you argue with idiot flat earthers? 

he has stupid fucking idiots on his show to entertain and "educate" his fucking idiot listener base. why would any self respecting person go a show to argue with a 5 year old?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

you mean go on his show and argue the merits of the term "black" as it relates to describing people? that hard hitting type shit?

do you argue with your idiot 5 year old nephew when he says stupid shit? do you argue with idiot flat earthers? 

he has stupid fucking idiots on his show to entertain and "educate" his fucking idiot listener base. why would any self respecting person go a show to argue with a 5 year old?

Bernie Sanders is so dumb and disrespectful of himself for going on Rogan’s show?

No, it’s because he has the bullhorn and amplifier of being able to reach 11mm people at once.

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

”If you aren’t fat and pretty healthy, what’s the big whoop about not wanting the vaccine? Eh I’ll take my chances”

=

“Absolutely and completely morally irresponsible and killing human being directly and indirectly” to people like you.

You believe that wanting to take your chances against the virus only affects you. Which is not true, and has been proven over and over again to be false for 2 years but the same people keep repeating it. I wonder why

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Aren’t we discussing vaccine disinformation? If one is truly scared of what’s he’s saying, get on there and call him out. Stomping your feet and asking Spotify to throw out their cash cow is just wasting time. 

Also, do you not have children? I argue with my 5 year old every day. 

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Aren’t we discussing vaccine disinformation? If one is truly scared of what’s he’s saying, get on there and call him out. Stomping your feet and asking Spotify to throw out their cash cow is just wasting time. 

Also, do you not have children? I argue with my 5 year old every day. 

the idiots who are not getting the vaccination based on the opinions of a idiot like Rogan are exactly the people who I want to get covid. fuck arguing with him. i'm encouraging his ass to dig a bigger trench. in the last 2 years, cemeteries are filled with people who would follow Rogan's advice. I'm perfectly Ok with that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

BTW the dude is weird now and has been disconnected from reality for a long time. He got mixed up with the celebrity elites in the Hamptons a while back and he changed quite a bit. Also, he is so scared of covid he moved to FL and lives bunkered up on his estate rarely leaving. He isn't the same guy anymore is what I am saying so this actually didn't shock me he said this. 

Just say what you're thinking.  Howard got "woke."

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The only podcasts I listen to short form news ones like The Daily (NY Times) and NPR's Up First, and then some golf-related ones (Golfer's Journal, Fried Egg, NLU).  

19 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

The problem with the argument is that despite what you or others here ardently believe, his stances aren’t akin to telling people to drink bleach.

Good.

So, what we're arguing about is NOT so much the tool being brought to bear (pressure on a private outfit to not provide him a platform), but rather whether his activities are dangerous enough to merit bringing that tool to bear.  That's a particular and specific conversation.

Anyone with a lick of sense agrees that it's permissible and appropriate to use private pressure to push people/businesses to not give dangerous/hateful merchants of bullshit a platform.  Now, we're just arguing about whether Joe Rogan's bullshit-selling is sufficiently harmful to merit such treatment.

Personally, I don't think it's dangerous enough to merit a push for full de-platforming.  I DO think that there can and should be a push to him directly to be more responsible, and to be more cautious about amplifying things that can and do actually hurt people (sorry, but the data is clear -- encouraging people not to get vaccinated, and instead take vitamins and ivermectin, gets people killed -- the unvaxxeed, when infected, are dying at much higher rates than vaxxed).  He should perhaps invite someone on to discuss risk analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and how people are generally not very good at it  Joe would then find out he's not very good at it.  And maybe his audience would as well.  I think that would be a fantastic outcome.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the idiots who are not getting the vaccination based on the opinions of a idiot like Rogan are exactly the people who I want to get covid. fuck arguing with him. i'm encouraging his ass to dig a bigger trench. in the last 2 years, cemeteries are filled with people who would follow Rogan's advice. I'm perfectly Ok with that.

Too bad Omicron isn’t more lethal.