Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well it's tough to improve a system when you're dealing with bad faith actors that just want to siphon off public tax funds for their private charter/religious schools so your crotch goblins won't have to deal with inconvenient topics and undesirable people.

Our education doesn't need fixing so much as it needs to stop getting strangled by a political movement that is opposed to higher order thinking skills and critical thinking.

So me paying and sending my kids to Christian private schools, while also funding public schools, is why Joe Rogan is such a problem. Got it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

So me paying and sending my kids to Christian private schools, while also funding public schools, is why Joe Rogan is such a problem. Got it.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Dumbass policies like no child left behind (Bush) leads to dumber people. Shitheels like Betsy Devos stripping public schools (Trump) of their funding to give to private charter and religious schools leads to dumber people.

Dumber people make Rogan more of a problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

I knew this person that regularly listened to Rogan and is a big Peterson fan. Typical lifestyle of crossfit paleo fanaticism and holistic medicine. A very attractive blonde blue eyed fit 26 yr old female that really liked to talk about Peterson. There was this one time she was explaining some insight she got from a Peterson podcast on feminine empowerment derived from sexual objectivity.

I must admit when she explained this concept I looked something like this.

"Go on."

lenny-thinking.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Bravo said:

/csb This reminds me when I was 18 or 19. I was home from school for the weekend. My dad had this horrible new wife. She was a fucking disaster and I felt bad for my younger brother having to live with this crazy person. Well, that night when I got home this lady went off on me for who knows what. I tell her dont talk to me and I wont talk to you and Ill be gone Sunday. Later that night I hear her yelling at my dad its your kids or me! My dad goes this is easy. Get the fuck out. Never saw her again. Maybe the proudest I've ever been of my dad.

And that woman’s name? You guessed it, Frank Stallone!

/Lobo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

On the question of "if Joe Rogan having an 11 million person audience for a podcast about idiotic misinformation, what is the solution?"........the answer is "there is no solution."

Thus, The Ledge.

As a culture -- and this really isn't confined to the US, plenty of other places are going down this same road -- we are deciding to go all-in on ignorant populism untainted by evidence-based reasoning, and all that entails.  How do we correct from such a path?  We don't. We can't.  It's too big, has gone too far, and has too much momentum.  Hell, that path has too many apologists and defenders on this very board, which is not exactly a haven for morons.  We've jumped off a cliff, and have reached terminal velocity.  How do we stop that?  There's just one way -- with a giant "splat!" at the end.

We won't alter course until the pain of the present course becomes unbearable.  And it is going to get a LOT worse before it gets to that point.  We are in a shitty place.  But buck up, troopers.....it's gonna get WAY shittier before it even has a chance to get better!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Look, I'm an old fart.  I remember when absolutely batshit insane, irrational, and detached-from-reality-and truth "pamphlets" were how people indulged in this shit.  I went to gun shows and similar events 30-40 years ago, and occasionally, there were some "fringe-y" types around, or some guy's table also had a stack of "newsletters" about how the illuminati were hiding proof of aliens and having perverse sex with them along with JFK who was actually still alive and tag-teaming the still-alive Marilyn with Elvis (I'm not saying I picked up a newsletter to read that particular story, but I'm also not saying I didn't).  

But their distribution was......limited.  The nutbars reached.....dozens of people.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I didn't worry about these ideas when they were only communicated among a few dozen gullible morons.  Now that the gullible morons have a common source, and have become the largest single "information consuming" audience in the country....yeah, it's fucking troubling.

I've said this before, I was into the JFK stuff back in the early 90s (became more interested in the actual fans of conspiracy theories than the theories themselves) and it was very  much a limited amount of contact with the general public.  These people were confined to backrooms of local bookstores, student lounges in dorms, various little community center rooms, etc.

It wasn't just that their ideas were out there, it's that people recognized their ideas were out there.  When I got into it, it was like "oh hey, wow there was a lot of legitimate sleazy shit going on around Lee Harvey Oswald" (whose daughter used to waitress at the Texas Chili Parlor here in Austin), but there was also a lot of overlap with the Art Bell/UFO crowd, and that was too much for me, but not for a lot of others.

Not helping things is that it was hard to grift off of these folks.  Not hard in the sense of getting their money, but it's just that their numbers were small (they walked in single-file lines) and you distributed your wares through the backs of local community magazines and in the case of books, etc., you had to pay to get it printed and then schlep it around to various small groups.  If you wanted to grift that crowd, you had to be involved with that crowd as well.

Everybody focuses on how their platform nowadays makes it easy for batshit stuff to get out there, but it also makes it easy for mainstream grifters to hit that crowd up, and the more grift you get, the more t-shirts and books and bumper stickers get out into the wild, creating the impression that it's a lot more mainstream than it is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thinking people should have turned on Joe Rogan when he was getting into conspiracy theories about the Apollo moon landings and whether or not we actually landed on the moon.  When he pulled that shit, that was the bat signal telling the world that he was a complete fucking moron or he was a complete fucking grifter trying to play these people by "asking questions".

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

As a culture -- and this really isn't confined to the US, plenty of other places are going down this same road -- we are deciding to go all-in on ignorant populism untainted by evidence-based reasoning, and all that entails.  How do we correct from such a path?  We don't. We can't.  It's too big, has gone too far, and has too much momentum.  Hell, that path has too many apologists and defenders on this very board, which is not exactly a haven for morons.  We've jumped off a cliff, and have reached terminal velocity.  How do we stop that?  There's just one way -- with a giant "splat!" at the end.

Eventually the shit they believe falls apart.  Maybe it takes a while, and yes, they will move on to other shit, but the stupid shit they believe will eventually fall apart/blow up in their face.

We have seen this with Qanon and Trump not arresting and executing the Democrats and personally leading thousands of kids out of underground tunnels, and him being reinstated as the President and all of that jazz, to the point where more than a few high-profile qanon types have publicly disavowed Trump and the GOP and have ranted that it was all a con.  We are seeing it with quite a few in the anti-vaxx crowd who have turned on Trump over him pushing the vaccines/booster.  These people get extremely wrapped up in these issues to the point where their identify and those issues are one and the same, and when their God King Emperor Trump does something (or doesn't) that goes against those beliefs, they will turn their back on him because their identity is whatever issue they are wrapped up in, and he's been clearly compromised in their eyes, so they can't trust him.

They also get ostracized over this shit, they get their identifies blasted out into the public/social media platforms.  For every 10 people you see in Qanon t-shirts, there's a lot more that are keeping that shit to themselves.  Hell, more than a few people I encountered in the early 90s who were into conspiracy stuff would have backed way off on that stuff if there was a chance that their family/friends/employers could find out.

And in the case of the vaxx crowd, we keep seeing example after example of them dying, and that will wear plenty of them down and/or scare the shit out of them. 

It sucks, and you can't force them to change their views, and mocking those views to their faces usually makes them dig in even more, but we don't have to defeat all of them, or even most of them.  A shit-ton of them had very sporadic voting records before Trump, Trump captured that lightning in a bottle, but there is not another Donald J. Trump on the horizon who will motivate these people to vote and toss money his way the way he did.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've said this before, I was into the JFK stuff back in the early 90s (became more interested in the actual fans of conspiracy theories than the theories themselves) and it was very  much a limited amount of contact with the general public.  These people were confined to backrooms of local bookstores, student lounges in dorms, various little community center rooms, etc.

It wasn't just that their ideas were out there, it's that people recognized their ideas were out there.  When I got into it, it was like "oh hey, wow there was a lot of legitimate sleazy shit going on around Lee Harvey Oswald" (whose daughter used to waitress at the Texas Chili Parlor here in Austin), but there was also a lot of overlap with the Art Bell/UFO crowd, and that was too much for me, but not for a lot of others.

Not helping things is that it was hard to grift off of these folks.  Not hard in the sense of getting their money, but it's just that their numbers were small (they walked in single-file lines) and you distributed your wares through the backs of local community magazines and in the case of books, etc., you had to pay to get it printed and then schlep it around to various small groups.  If you wanted to grift that crowd, you had to be involved with that crowd as well.

Everybody focuses on how their platform nowadays makes it easy for batshit stuff to get out there, but it also makes it easy for mainstream grifters to hit that crowd up, and the more grift you get, the more t-shirts and books and bumper stickers get out into the wild, creating the impression that it's a lot more mainstream than it is.

Why are you lumping people who know the truth about JFK in with all these nuts?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

stack of "newsletters" about how the illuminati were hiding proof of aliens and having perverse sex with them along with JFK who was actually still alive and tag-teaming the still-alive Marilyn with Elvis…

Uh…  there wouldn’t happen to be any of these “newsletters” circulating around now would there?  

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It sucks, and you can't force them to change their views, and mocking those views to their faces usually makes them dig in even more, but we don't have to defeat all of them, or even most of them.  A shit-ton of them had very sporadic voting records before Trump, Trump captured that lightning in a bottle, but there is not another Donald J. Trump on the horizon who will motivate these people to vote and toss money his way the way he did.

I said it in another thread - don't buy into the "great man" version of history. Trump was simply who it happened to coalesce around. The trends and forces that made it possible for him to win the election are absolutely still in effect. We're going to see everything ramped up to eleventeen in this year's election and even moreso in 2024.

It's driven by people barely holding onto their lower middle class lifestyle, looking for anything or anyone to blame and feel better about themselves. And I'm sure you're aware, those people aren't doing any better today than they were four years ago - generally worse off because of trumpian economic trickle down (your face) policies. It wasn't lightning in a bottle, it's a lightning rod. And to borrow a favorite phrase of the Q loons, the storm is coming. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Here's the part I don't get.

A lot of the angry-ass Trumpers I know are doing absolutely fine.  They just get riled up by social media.  They aren't barely clinging onto shit.  They have good jobs in small towns that have next to no COL.  It's almost like they're mad because they don't have ENOUGH shit distracting them from caring about shit that doesn't affect them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Peterson has apparently decided that he's an expert on everything. He's also been a long term addict to Xanax but hopefully he's better now. He talks about it in that rogan interview.

Unsure of the source but this was a crazy story from Peterson's wiki page: According to his daughter, Peterson and his family were unable to find doctors in North America who were willing to accommodate their treatment desires, so in January 2020, Peterson, his daughter and her husband flew to Moscow, Russia for treatment.

He couldn't find a doctor to treat him, so he ended up in Russia where he was in an induced coma. WTF. If you can't find treatment in the US or Canada, perhaps you might be the problem. I have no doubt Peterson (PhD not MD) was telling medical doctors how to treat him.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Here's the part I don't get.

A lot of the angry-ass Trumpers I know are doing absolutely fine.  They just get riled up by social media.  They aren't barely clinging onto shit.  They have good jobs in small towns that have next to no COL.  It's almost like they're mad because they don't have ENOUGH shit distracting them from caring about shit that doesn't affect them.

Fox News and social media.

And I'd bet that many of those you know are white, and subconsciously maybe there is something kicking in for some of them that is scaring them about a changing country and/or state.  And they are cocooning themselves into their own little social media echo chambers as well, where it's all about saying stupid shit to get likes.

The current Fox News lineup in the evenings makes the old Fox News Channel version Bill O'Reilly look like William Buckley Jr or George Will.  They are fucking chimpanzees shitting in their hands and flinging it everywhere, and they are riling up a lot of people.

21 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I said it in another thread - don't buy into the "great man" version of history. Trump was simply who it happened to coalesce around.

I both agree and disagree.  Trump isn't some Machiavellian genius, but he IS incredibly talented at one thing: appealing to idiots, angry fucksticks, and craven power-hungry wannabe fascists.  He was 100% the right man at the right time.  Nobody else in the MAGAsphere comes anywhere close to inspiring the kind of fanatical loyalty that he does.  

Cults build around the exact right kind of personality, and he has it -- and showed up at the exact right moment in history for it to work.  If Trump dies tomorrow, a huge amount of the momentum of the MAGA movement dies with him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I said it in another thread - don't buy into the "great man" version of history. Trump was simply who it happened to coalesce around. The trends and forces that made it possible for him to win the election are absolutely still in effect. We're going to see everything ramped up to eleventeen in this year's election and even moreso in 2024.

Trump doesn't get credit for everything - he needed Hillary on that ballot in 2016, and he needed the Qanon idiots to get the votes he did in 2020.  Honestly, if you take the Qanon movement out of the equation, does Jan. 6th happen the way it did?  Does Trump crack 70 million votes in 2020? 

The thing about the Qanon movement is that they were a bit of a force multiplier, to borrow an old military term.  Not only did they provide votes and warm bodies, but they were were stirring up plenty of non-Qanon types and getting them angry at Democrats and excited for Republicans.  Plenty of Republicans shunned the batshittery of the Qanon idiots, but they still saw plenty of stuff passed around by the Qanon crowd that they found palatable.

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's driven by people barely holding onto their lower middle class lifestyle, looking for anything or anyone to blame and feel better about themselves. And I'm sure you're aware, those people aren't doing any better today than they were four years ago - generally worse off because of trumpian economic trickle down (your face) policies. It wasn't lightning in a bottle, it's a lightning rod. And to borrow a favorite phrase of the Q loons, the storm is coming. 

This is not the group @Al_4_ISU is talking about, but yes, I think this is a huge chunk of the base that pushed Trump into victory.

It's basically my Qanon in-law and her bf.  They didn't have shit going well before Trump (and later Q) came along, but Trump (and Q) told them that all of their problems were the result of Democrats, illegal immigrants, Hillary Clinton, etc. and all of the sudden everything made complete sense.

And the thing is, if my in-law Qanon would put as much effort into, I dunno, getting an associates degree at a community college, as she did scouring the internet for stupid Q shit and saying and liking and replying on social media, etc., she'd be supporting herself (and her loser bf) instead of camping in her dad's backyard and living off of what they give her.

I both agree and disagree.  Trump isn't some Machiavellian genius, but he IS incredibly talented at one thing: appealing to idiots, angry fucksticks, and craven power-hungry wannabe fascists.  He was 100% the right man at the right time.  Nobody else in the MAGAsphere comes anywhere close to inspiring the kind of fanatical loyalty that he does.  
Cults build around the exact right kind of personality, and he has it -- and showed up at the exact right moment in history for it to work.  If Trump dies tomorrow, a huge amount of the momentum of the MAGA movement dies with him.

Agreed 100% and this is why Republicans bow to him. Trump drew a lot of low education angry white people who just didn’t participate in politics out of the woodwork, and they all vote straight ticket R.

In Iowa you really see it. I’m ‘16 and ‘20 Republicans won everything by a landslide. In ‘18 (Trump not on ballot) those margins went dramatically back to center.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

And the thing is, if my in-law Qanon would put as much effort into, I dunno, getting an associates degree at a community college, as she did scouring the internet for stupid Q shit and saying and liking and replying on social media, etc., she'd be supporting herself (and her loser bf) instead of camping in her dad's backyard and living off of what they give her.

Unproductive people considering being more productive with their time.

steve-buscemi-fuck-all-that.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Captainant said:

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think these are both true.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

but Trump (and Q) told them that all of their problems were the result of Democrats, illegal immigrants, Hillary Clinton, etc. and all of the sudden everything made complete sense.

Does he know that he’s following hitler’s  road map to power, to the letter?  Or does he think he’s a very stable genius who is operating on a never before reached plane of manly existence?

13 hours ago, Bravo said:

Fuck you. That is all real. Why in the world would I make that up? What is real is you're a 100% troll. 

I don't know why people do things.  But I apparently was one of the few sober people to ever take the SAT.   

Edited by Nivek

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

On the question of "if Joe Rogan having an 11 million person audience for a podcast about idiotic misinformation, what is the solution?"........the answer is "there is no solution."

Thus, The Ledge.

We won't alter course until the pain of the present course becomes unbearable.  And it is going to get a LOT worse before it gets to that point.  We are in a shitty place.  But buck up, troopers.....it's gonna get WAY shittier before it even has a chance to get better!

At least I hope you are being over reactionary and not dead on.  I'm not sure yet but the former will help me sleep better tonight. 

23 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Holy shit lol.  I have been away but happy to return to all of you assholes.  I had a convo about Rogan with a couple buddies.  Definitely pertinent.  

B1345941-F992-4FDB-B945-3166779D9B99.png

jesus h fucking christ on a popsicle stick all the rogan apologists sound exactly the same.

are they working off a script like a telemarketer?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

At least I hope you are being over reactionary and not dead on.  I'm not sure yet but the former will help me sleep better tonight. 

Oh, the world will keep spinning. That’s absolutely true. People will survive. Life will go on. All of that was true before the rise of fascism in Europe, before psychotic totalitarian regimes built on a relentless cascade of lies and demonization of the other by a cult leader personality took power, resulting in millions of dead people and untold suffering.

We’ll survive. The questions are how much and how awfully we’re going to suffer to get from here to there. I’ve read the books that describe the script we’re following. They tell me that the answers to my questions are “a lot, and pretty awfully.” I’m not looking into a crystal ball. I’m looking at a story that’s already been written, several times, and reading it right off the page.

19 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

It isn’t glib to say our education system should be fixed.

You should probably first dispel with your requirement that we not increase revenue for education.  

Maybe we can hire some Chinese or Russians to staff and maintain our newest aircraft carrier.    Got to think outside the lines my dude. 

Does anyone feel bad that Neil Young opened himself to get self-owned on Twitter? Not sure if he was a cultural icon or whatever as I never listened to his music or know anyone who cared about him, but the memes and farks seem like he isn’t making a difference except to invite his own ridicule.

Or is it a case of hopefully bigger more influential musicians will follow after he broke the ground. I can imagine a Taylor Swift or The Weekend saying this would actually have a Spotify exec sit up in his Herman miller.

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

19 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Does anyone feel bad that Neil Young opened himself to get self-owned on Twitter? Not sure if he was a cultural icon or whatever as I never listened to his music or know anyone who cared about him, but the memes and farks seem like he isn’t making a difference except to invite his own ridicule.

Or is it a case of hopefully bigger more influential musicians will follow after he broke the ground. I can imagine a Taylor Swift or The Weekend saying this would actually have a Spotify exec sit up in his Herman miller.

no, you just seem like a uncool republican dweeb?

Neil Young is the shit, who cares what Brogans are tweeting about him? 

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

This is complete 100% bullshit.

That said, Young is guilty of embracing or ignoring science due to politics.  I don't understand how you can be anti-GMO and pro-vaccine.  Well, I can, because this country is full of comically hypocritical people.  We're just used to mocking the right wing ones more.

Neil Young is a certified badass all time rock and roll great with a handful of suspect opinions.  I'm bummed that he pulled his music off Spotify, but I own his best albums (On The Beach, Tonight's the Night) already anyway.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

And I don't want Rogan to go away, I want him to go back to what he was 4-5 years ago.  Drop the right wing grifter shit, quit disseminating outright lies, and just go back to being a podcast that lets interesting people talk about what they do and why they do it.

• Hook 'Em 4