Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Hesitant to even post in here but I listen to his stuff sometimes. On one recently he was talking about how Spotify is a Swedish based company unlike the YT, fb, twitters of the world and as such they basically don't give a fuck about censoring anything. I haven't listened to the Malone or other Dr. interview but they are both still up and unless Joe wants to pull them they will remain up. 

Edit: my bad, quoted the wrong post 

Edited by SubliminalHorn

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You sound upset because he beat it. 

I am.  Many people who had health problems they had no control over (e.g. cancer and autoimmune disorders) are almost certainly dead now because some Rogan-listening dipshits infected them. And Rogan did this knowingly and intentionally because he realized it's the kind of shit his audience wanted to hear. Going to Spotify reduced his audience so he pivoted to a bunch of conspiracism, disinformation, and antivax shit to help keep his remaining listeners around.

Rogan has effectively killed thousands of people for money, many of whom weren't even his own dumbass listeners but people who had to risk exposure because they had bills to pay and were killed by his dumbass listeners. If it were possible to bring them back and the cost was him dying instead? Fuck yeah I'd take that deal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've listened to (at least) several hundred episodes of Rogan's podcast.  I started listening regularly in 2015, probably up until the middle of 2020.  I'm not some peanut gallery hater, but a long time fan that finally couldn't take it anymore.

It definitely started as an organic thing - just a comedian and his buddies getting high and bullshitting on mics.  But it's definitely morphed over the years.  For a period of time, I really enjoyed it because the format was him bringing in some (usually) interesting person from all sorts of avenues of life and letting them talk without much interruption.  It turned me on to a lot of awesome stuff.

In the back half of Trump's first presidency, something really started to change.  The frequency of political guests increased, and while he was still bringing in people from both sides of the aisle, when it was a left wing guest the conversation was mostly left wingers criticizing left wing bullshit.  When he had right wing guests on, there was no critique of right wing bullshit - they just bagged on the left.  He kept making nominal appeals to the idea that he's "basically a liberal", but kept repeating right wing talking points.  He also started interjecting political bullshit into apolitical conversations.  Some guest would crack a joke and and he'd go on a tangent about how "you can't say that you know?  The left is trying to destroy you."  It started to seem to me that he'd straight up taken a turn into being a full fledged right winger and was no longer providing an objective space to hear out both ends of an argument, but constructing an echo chamber.

The move to Spotify, and him leaving California has pushed it completely into that corner.  Once he started on his bullshit about the COVID vaccine, I punched out altogether.  At this stage, he's basically Rush Limbaugh.  Not that he's on that extreme, but he's just right wing talk radio that tells that crowd what they want to hear.  It's a grift.  It's not what he set out to do, but it's absolutely where he's at today, and he's printing fat stacks so I doubt it changes.

He makes some good points (I mean, being healthier is a great fucking idea and we should place a higher emphasis on it) but he shreds his credibility hammering the vaccine while he takes fucking ivermectin.  At this point, he just strikes me as a psuedo-intellectual clown.  Back in the day, he rarely injected his opinion and when he did, made it clear he didn't know shit and was willing to consider alternative perspectives.  Now he thinks he knows something.  No dude, you are the dummy you always claimed to be.

Do you know something?

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You sound upset because he beat it. 

I'm upset because he's a fucking idiot whose opinions were used to weaponize stupidity and get people killed. But I guess the silver lining is he probably mostly hurt his own audience and anyone dumb enough to listen to him on the reg and take his advice probably shouldn't be living anyway

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've listened to (at least) several hundred episodes of Rogan's podcast.  I started listening regularly in 2015, probably up until the middle of 2020.  I'm not some peanut gallery hater, but a long time fan that finally couldn't take it anymore.

It definitely started as an organic thing - just a comedian and his buddies getting high and bullshitting on mics.  But it's definitely morphed over the years.  For a period of time, I really enjoyed it because the format was him bringing in some (usually) interesting person from all sorts of avenues of life and letting them talk without much interruption.  It turned me on to a lot of awesome stuff.

In the back half of Trump's first presidency, something really started to change.  The frequency of political guests increased, and while he was still bringing in people from both sides of the aisle, when it was a left wing guest the conversation was mostly left wingers criticizing left wing bullshit.  When he had right wing guests on, there was no critique of right wing bullshit - they just bagged on the left.  He kept making nominal appeals to the idea that he's "basically a liberal", but kept repeating right wing talking points.  He also started interjecting political bullshit into apolitical conversations.  Some guest would crack a joke and and he'd go on a tangent about how "you can't say that you know?  The left is trying to destroy you."  It started to seem to me that he'd straight up taken a turn into being a full fledged right winger and was no longer providing an objective space to hear out both ends of an argument, but constructing an echo chamber.

The move to Spotify, and him leaving California has pushed it completely into that corner.  Once he started on his bullshit about the COVID vaccine, I punched out altogether.  At this stage, he's basically Rush Limbaugh.  Not that he's on that extreme, but he's just right wing talk radio that tells that crowd what they want to hear.  It's a grift.  It's not what he set out to do, but it's absolutely where he's at today, and he's printing fat stacks so I doubt it changes.

He makes some good points (I mean, being healthier is a great fucking idea and we should place a higher emphasis on it) but he shreds his credibility hammering the vaccine while he takes fucking ivermectin.  At this point, he just strikes me as a psuedo-intellectual clown.  Back in the day, he rarely injected his opinion and when he did, made it clear he didn't know shit and was willing to consider alternative perspectives.  Now he thinks he knows something.  No dude, you are the dummy you always claimed to be.

Great post. He found what sells, and he's going to milk it for all it's worth. The same has happened to a few of the people that I used to listen to or watch: a slow drift into the fringes to attract those looking for that kind of content, and to be told that they're right to question all authority. The audience for objectivity and playing it down the middle is significantly smaller. If he didn't have a true target audience before, he absolutely does now, and he's fully aware of it.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm upset because he's a fucking idiot whose opinions were used to weaponize stupidity and get people killed. But I guess the silver lining is he probably mostly hurt his own audience and anyone dumb enough to listen to him on the reg and take his advice probably shouldn't be living anyway

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

It's not Rogan but a frequent guest of his and Weinstein doesn't deserve a separate thread, but they're still on this shit:

Absolutely fuck every one of these grifting narcissists. 

Really top drawer logical fallacy stuff here.

Omicron has been around for oh, let's say two months and with a highly imprecise number of people infected.

Vaccines have been around since 2020 (clinical trials and early availability in December 2020) with exposure nearing 10 billion doses.

• Hook 'Em 1

Weinstein is a good example of the ideological creep that's been going in the Rogan-verse.

I remember the first time he came on, and he was this super reasonable lefty prof who was explaining how the ultra-liberal college he worked for went bat shit crazy (which is a true story) and it being this cautionary tale of what happens when political extremists get control.  I agreed completely with how insane the students were in that case, and how spineless the admins were in responding to them.

Of course, within 2-3 years, Weinstein is coming on and they've shifted the goal posts to the idea that everyone who votes for Democrats is in lock step with this nonsense, and The Left is coming for you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Weinstein is a good example of the ideological creep that's been going in the Rogan-verse.

I remember the first time he came on, and he was this super reasonable lefty prof who was explaining how the ultra-liberal college he worked for went bat shit crazy (which is a true story) and it being this cautionary tale of what happens when political extremists get control.  I agreed completely with how insane the students were in that case, and how spineless the admins were in responding to them.

Of course, within 2-3 years, Weinstein is coming on and they've shifted the goal posts to the idea that everyone who votes for Democrats is in lock step with this nonsense, and The Left is coming for you.

And also that the getting the vaccine is so dangerous it's like playing Russian roulette.

Every one of these "free thinkers" ends up getting on this insane right-wing conspiracy train because it's extremely profitable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don't know about 'failed' but he was never funny to me.  Didn't he get into it with Carlos Mencia?  The thing there is I never found either of those dudes funny. 

I first recall hearing about him outside of "Talk Radio" when he was into the moon landing was fake shit.  He was one of the reasons  I couldn't really get into UFC..I find his voice just grating.  His hollering, his descriptions.  Just bleh.  I'm in a minority there I'm sure.  

And I gave one or two episodes of his podcast a listen and I just found him boring.   I don't get his appeal, but then again there's  much in popular media I don't get anymore.

But yeah, if he's getting that many listeners, Spotify is going to tell everyone else to suck it.  Capitalism. 

His high water mark for me was on NewsRadio.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is where I’m at. He will still have some interesting guests on but his always wanting to inject politics into conversations that turns me off from listening to him.  

I’ll admit I liked his interview with Dr. Peter McCullough but Rogan continuously trying to get him to admit that the reason for not pursuing treatments or other topics discussed was because of “media hate for trump”… he tried to get Dr. McCullough to admit it until he stated it wasn’t a conspiracy against trump.

one I remember is him having that ufc fighter Holloway on and that one was full of political talk misstating pretty much everything they discussed. Couldn’t even get through half of that one.  A favorite episode is one he had with Bill Burr where Burr pretty much tells him they shouldn’t be discussing covid because they’re not doctors and both know they don’t know shit about viruses. Duncan Tressel episode was good too.

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

As @wildcat09said, it appears Weinstein discovered how lucrative this schtick can be.

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

His high water mark for me was on NewsRadio.

Such a great damn show.

29 minutes ago, Chooky said:

That's exactly the problem when these guys find themselves in the "I can't be wrong" business.  

Jesus, just take the L already Joe, for fuck's sake. 

I posted my thoughts about him on the other thread a few years back.  At the time I was spending 8+ hours in the car every week and listened to a shitload of his podcasts.  I wouldn't listen to the MMA or comedian guests, but I really enjoyed quite a few of the others.  But like @Al_4_ISU said, he somehow had a pretty significant shift in his tone, content and to some extent his guests that turned me off.  His covid hot takes were the final straw for me and I haven't listened to any of his shows in quite some time.

It's a bummer because his reach is significant and for some reason people put weight in his takes.  But the clip above is a perfect example of his shift.  I feel like in the past he would have taken the L and said something pithy about how he's a meathead and he's not sure how he missed it so bad.  But now he doubles down, and then when punched in the face with another source (other than his SME guest), he goes to the tried and true tactic of attacking the source.  I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS BRAH!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

And Rogan did this knowingly and intentionally because he realized it's the kind of shit his audience wanted to hear. Going to Spotify reduced his audience so he pivoted to a bunch of conspiracism, disinformation, and antivax shit to help keep his remaining listeners around.

Rogan has effectively killed thousands of people for money, many of whom weren't even his own dumbass listeners but people who had to risk exposure because they had bills to pay and were killed by his dumbass listeners.

He's the primary announcer of a sport worth more than Formula 1.  Has had a long TV career.  Has royalties from a catalog of standup media.  Has had the top n'th listened and monetized podcast for far, far before it was purchased by Spotify.

Money doesn't seem a concern.  The more likely explanation is he has the freedom to say what he wants, and you happen to not like what he says.  Which is fine. 

America with a 74% adult fully-vax rate, and his last 10 guests including General McMaster, Jim Gaffigan, Oliver Stone, and Carrot Top.... he has to intentionally peddle antivax disinformation... to get money?  Talk about a conspiracy....

• Hook 'Em 2

He kowtow'ed to Peter Schiff (fund manager and wellknown goldbug), and Peter Schiff is a full-on lunatic.

He pushed back against one of the Weinstein brother promoting some wacky unified theory of physics, that dude/idea was looney too.

He hosted Kanye and after 5 minutes of trying to satisfy my curiosity I thought I'd go crazy if I continued another minute listening to that nutjob.

and then he had Matthew Walker on a Berkeley neuro/psych guy and was an absolutely fascinating listen.

The stuff is all over the board.  If you don't like it, move on.

people who had to risk exposure because they had bills to pay and were killed by his dumbass listeners.

People aren't tuning in to listen to medical device.  If you wear your mask and stock shelves at Target, you're getting killed because some of the customers listen to a podcast?

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Agree. People are calling him a failed comedian for the same reason Fox News viewers call Bill Maher a failed comedian. Neither are failed comedians but both strike a political nerve that pisses people off. He also had a big impact on the UFC as someone that had both "on air" skills combined with really good technical knowledge of the sport when it was in its infancy.

It is reasonable to criticize his opinions and even the format of his podcast but trying to diminish his accomplishments is weak.

I'm not calling him a failed comedian because I disagree with his politics. One's got nothing to do with the other.  I called him a failed comedian because I thought it was true.  I didn't know he started as a comedian.  I knew him as the Fear Factor and UFC guy, but I'm not a big follower of either of those.  I learned that he was getting a lot of attention for his podcast/YouTube shows and that's why I took a look, to see what all the fuss was about.  I thought he was a failed comedian because:  A) he wasn't still doing comedy (as far as I knew), so if he was so great at that why?, 2) he did other things that had nothing to do with comedy (Fear Factor, UFC, podcast), 3) I watched some of his standup routines on YouTube and I did not find him funny or good.  I also have admitted that I have not done a lot of research on the man or his past comedy career.  Maybe he won a bunch of fucking awards for his comedy and is well-respected among comics and people who would know.

I don't really think Joe Rogan is worth that much thought. He's accomplished some things; he's a celebrity.  He tries to portray this deep thinker persona on his YouTube show. I guess a lot of people buy it.

27 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

He's the primary announcer of a sport worth more than Formula 1.  Has had a long TV career.  Has royalties from a catalog of standup media.  Has had the top n'th listened and monetized podcast for far, far before it was purchased by Spotify.

Money doesn't seem a concern.  The more likely explanation is he has the freedom to say what he wants, and you happen to not like what he says.  Which is fine. 

America with a 74% adult fully-vax rate, and his last 10 guests including General McMaster, Jim Gaffigan, Oliver Stone, and Carrot Top.... he has to intentionally peddle antivax disinformation... to get money?  Talk about a conspiracy....

are.... are you Joe Rogan?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Jesus, just take the L already Joe, for fuck's sake. 

I posted my thoughts about him on the other thread a few years back.  At the time I was spending 8+ hours in the car every week and listened to a shitload of his podcasts.  I wouldn't listen to the MMA or comedian guests, but I really enjoyed quite a few of the others.  But like @Al_4_ISU said, he somehow had a pretty significant shift in his tone, content and to some extent his guests that turned me off.  His covid hot takes were the final straw for me and I haven't listened to any of his shows in quite some time.

It's a bummer because his reach is significant and for some reason people put weight in his takes.  But the clip above is a perfect example of his shift.  I feel like in the past he would have taken the L and said something pithy about how he's a meathead and he's not sure how he missed it so bad.  But now he doubles down, and then when punched in the face with another source (other than his SME guest), he goes to the tried and true tactic of attacking the source.  I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS BRAH!

100%.  This is exactly what has turned me off so much.

32 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

He doesn't have to peddle disinformation to get money.  He had plenty of money.

He's just found he can make more of it doing that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He doesn't have to peddle disinformation to get money.  He had plenty of money.

He's just found he can make more of it doing that shit.

Lots of rich people do stuff that is dumb as shit or just bad simply because they can.  

Also, rich people are rarely dumb about EVERYTHING.  Otherwise they’d be poor.  But they are often chronically incapable of admitting they are dumb about SOME things (as we all are) and when you combine that with money, that’s worse. 

22 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

This fucking bonehead conveniently does not disclose that VAERS reports include ANY spontaneous reports of ANYTHING from ANYONE.  

Motherfuckers be getting on the dubya dubya dubya dot vaers dot hhs dot gov typing in all kinds of bullshit.  So, you look at uncurated VAERS data and draw firm conclusions at your own peril, but when you host a podcast, you are right about everything so who fuckin' cares?

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

100%.  This is exactly what has turned me off so much.

I have never listened to his podcast until just hearing that clip. It’s not because I dislike the guy or find him uninteresting. He was just someone that I just never really followed. I did vaguely remember him from the NewsRadio show. 

Listening to that short clip, sweet baby Jesus. He was presented with factual information and did everything he could to discredit it. If you did not give a brief history of your listening experience with him I would have guessed he was your average GQP member. He’s somehow below that.

He’s grifting off people with his persona and giving out advice that can quite literally cause someone’s life to end earlier than expected. To me that is the personification of evil. He knows what he is doing is wrong, but hey there’s a lot of money to be made lying to people who simply do not know better so he’s gettin’ while the gettin’ is good.

55 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

This fucking bonehead conveniently does not disclose that VAERS reports include ANY spontaneous reports of ANYTHING from ANYONE.  

Motherfuckers be getting on the dubya dubya dubya dot vaers dot hhs dot gov typing in all kinds of bullshit.  So, you look at uncurated VAERS data and draw firm conclusions at your own peril, but when you host a podcast, you are right about everything so who fuckin' cares?

This too.  You don't think people willing to risk their lives to physically block the lines of a vaccine site in CA are willing to spew a bunch of BS onto the VAERS site?  That's probably not the best source of data for your argument Joe.

39 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I have never listened to his podcast until just hearing that clip. It’s not because I dislike the guy or find him uninteresting. He was just someone that I just never really followed. I did vaguely remember him from the NewsRadio show. 

Listening to that short clip, sweet baby Jesus. He was presented with factual information and did everything he could to discredit it. If you did not give a brief history of your listening experience with him I would have guessed he was your average GQP member. He’s somehow below that.

He’s grifting off people with his persona and giving out advice that can quite literally cause someone’s life to end earlier than expected. To me that is the personification of evil. He knows what he is doing is wrong, but hey there’s a lot of money to be made lying to people who simply do not know better so he’s gettin’ while the gettin’ is good.

I first learned what a Joe Rogan was when he gave money to people to eat bugs on tv. 

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, 3adays said:

Fuck those Dr’s. I’m tired of anyone who asks questions or wants to have an open conversation being silenced. If they want to criticize his comments, do so with your own argument not some bullshit letter. I hope Spotify tells them to get fucked and I’m sure they will. 

I'm all for open conversation.  I'm not for somebody providing a platform for flat out lies/propaganda (or that are themselves propagating such lies) that affects a lot of people in a negative way (both directly/indirectly).  What do I mean about directly/indirectly, and is there a line?  Let's look at our own homegrown Alex Jones.

Alex Jones, when he ranted about Republicans doing gay stuff at Bohemian Grove (NTTIAWWT) back in the 90s - didn't care, didn't harm anybody (nobody believed it), made the rest of us chuckle and make it a point to catch his show on Austin Public Access.

Alex Jones ranting about water turning frogs gay.  Didn't actually affect anybody, was good for a chuckle.

Alex Jones claiming that a bunch of dead kids aren't dead and/or didn't exist and claiming the parents were lying.  Let's tap the brakes a bit, because he was directly causing harm (anguish) to a lot of people, his followers began directly harassing the parents of said dead kids, and he crossed over into defamation territory.  It may have only affected a few hundred people directly - the family and friends of those who were killed at Sandy Hook, but a line got crossed.  He caused harm and defamation.

Now let's flip over to Alex Jones's good buddy, Joe Rogan.  He's got a lot more followers than Alex Jones and a bigger platform.  When his platform is used by him or others in such a way that causes those followers to engage in dumbass behavior, it starts to affect the rest of us.

If you are saying "well AHB, you are free to take the vaccine, mask up, etc. how does this affect you directly?" sure, I got the vaccine, I'm mostly careful about who I associate with, etc., so no, Joe Rogan's fuckery isn't directly impacting me.

But if millions of his dumbass followers ignore all the science, ignore the vaccine opportunities, etc., and some start ending up in hospitals because their fucking horse paste didn't cure what ailed them, it's sucking up hospital capacity here and there that shouldn't have been spent on people who should have been vaccinated.  You can argue that it's an indirect problem for most of us, particularly those of us who don't need the hospital, but we can argue that it affects things like ER staffing, etc.

But it's also a direct problem, because taxpayers and those of us paying into various healthcare systems/providers are having to foot the bill for these fuckups.

So that's a problem for the rest of us, that Joe Rogan is causing, even if it's just by the guests he has on his show.  If his followers fuck around and find out, Joe Rogan doesn't foot the bill, the rest of us do.

Basically this:

17 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

meanwhile, rogan’s fans all wondering why covid is still a problem. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2