Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

2 hours ago, Loather said:

With the problems that Sark had at USC and his win/loss record as a head coach, this was at best a risky hire. After firing Mack, Charley and Herman I don't understand how you can roll the dice on anyone. With Herman under a big contract, the only way he should have been fired was if they had another coach lined up like Jimbo Fisher. Texas A&M takes their football program seriously. We can mock ATM all we like, but the truth is they made a great hire. They have made a lot of great moves with their program. The accountability needs to start with the guys that hired Sark. Even if he ends up turning this around, which seems doubtful, this was still an irresponsible hire. 

The problem was once you flirted with Urban, you couldn't continue with Herman. You cut his legs out from under him. You made him a dead man walking. Recruiting was already going bad. Once you open the door that the head coach will be fired, it's a lot harder to get anyone to commit, especially with early signing day. You would've had to extend Herman to keep any semblance of a class together and even then you're behind aggy in the state because they can show you stability and continuity in their program. 

The problem with the search was why go straight to Sark after the Urban flirtation ended? Why not have a larger, more robust search. aggy got Jimbo because aggy offered everything Jimbo wanted and couldn't get at Florida State. I'm sure Jimbo would've jumped to LSU if it was an option but aggy was right there for him. Why couldn't we identify a similar candidate? Instead we took another flyer on a guy with a questionable head coaching resume. Sark was fantastic at Alabama but I'm not sure how anyone with the authority to hire him could confidently think he would have what it takes to build a program. And that's the biggest problem we seem to keep having. It's why I wanted Urban or Brian Kelly. We needed someone who could competently rebuild Texas and have the cache to recruit well. Yet we keep taking risks on our hiring and sure every hire has risk. We just seem to make the riskiest ones and seemed shocked when they don't work out at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2021 at 12:06 PM, Loather said:

With the problems that Sark had at USC and his win/loss record as a head coach, this was at best a risky hire. After firing Mack, Charley and Herman I don't understand how you can roll the dice on anyone. With Herman under a big contract, the only way he should have been fired was if they had another coach lined up like Jimbo Fisher. Texas A&M takes their football program seriously. We can mock ATM all we like, but the truth is they made a great hire. They have made a lot of great moves with their program. The accountability needs to start with the guys that hired Sark. Even if he ends up turning this around, which seems doubtful, this was still an irresponsible hire. 

Jimbo at aggy is 25-13 against P5 teams.  During the same period, including this disaster of a season UT is 23-19 against P5 teams.  When does aggys great moves start paying off?  We fired our last coach that had Jimbo results.  I know we suck, but if we're going to suck some other school's dick it really shouldn't be aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 12:06 PM, Loather said:

You seem like you’re enamored with aggy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do we think ticket prices going up because of fear that some monies are going to NIL? Move to the SEC? Both?

For us less well to do folks, it makes decisions to keep investing in the program for tickets difficult.

I mean, the number one reason the prices went up is the extra game. The rest is probably best summed up with “because they can.”
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 1:38 PM, gmr548 said:

I mean, the number one reason the prices went up is the extra game. The rest is probably best summed up with “because they can.”

Want to bet the ticket prices don't come down next year when we have 6 home games?

The bigger news is that the seat related gifts will no longer apply to basketball once the Moody center opens up. Big loss of value for people who use it for both. 

On 11/14/2021 at 2:32 PM, mdmost said:

The problem was once you flirted with Urban, you couldn't continue with Herman. You cut his legs out from under him. You made him a dead man walking. Recruiting was already going bad. Once you open the door that the head coach will be fired, it's a lot harder to get anyone to commit, especially with early signing day. You would've had to extend Herman to keep any semblance of a class together and even then you're behind aggy in the state because they can show you stability and continuity in their program. 

The problem with the search was why go straight to Sark after the Urban flirtation ended? Why not have a larger, more robust search. aggy got Jimbo because aggy offered everything Jimbo wanted and couldn't get at Florida State. I'm sure Jimbo would've jumped to LSU if it was an option but aggy was right there for him. Why couldn't we identify a similar candidate? Instead we took another flyer on a guy with a questionable head coaching resume. Sark was fantastic at Alabama but I'm not sure how anyone with the authority to hire him could confidently think he would have what it takes to build a program. And that's the biggest problem we seem to keep having. It's why I wanted Urban or Brian Kelly. We needed someone who could competently rebuild Texas and have the cache to recruit well. Yet we keep taking risks on our hiring and sure every hire has risk. We just seem to make the riskiest ones and seemed shocked when they don't work out at all. 

Agree with the first paragraph.  

Second paragraph assumes too much, namely "go straight to Sark."  We really know nothing of the coaching search.

Want to bet the ticket prices don't come down next year when we have 6 home games?
The bigger news is that the seat related gifts will no longer apply to basketball once the Moody center opens up. Big loss of value for people who use it for both. 

Uh, no, I didn’t say they would? I said it was the leading justification for the price increase. Best case scenario - they take this year’s higher per game rate (mine are anyway) and use it x6 next year. But certainly wouldn’t be surprised to see them just keep it level. Never bet on UT cutting prices.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2022 at 12:52 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Like everyone else here on Surly, I can afford any ticket price CDC throws at me. However, pricing thousands of regular fans out of the market in favor of corporate ticket holders (many of whom have no loyalty) and Surly elites isn’t good for Texas football. /imho

Don't worry gameday atmosphere will improve :)

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

This AD may not be the power broker some of us would like but at least he recognizes and states that the last ten years has been, "horse shit". I'll allow it.   

I think the dynamics of college athletics are such that the days of ADs as "power brokers" are over or nearing the end, for the foreseeable future, anyway.

So, having a sort of "nimble" guy with some recent experience in a smaller program is pretty ideal.

14 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

This is FANTASTIC. Let’s just hope this goes better than the Surly road-trip…

We can and do shit on Del Conte for various reasons and some are justified.

But it's also very justified to say that this is very cool of him.  And, yeah, why he didn't have a private jet on speed dial I dunno. But he's just rolling with a couple of strangers, doing what it takes to get to the game.

• Hook 'Em 7