The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

58 minutes ago, sidis said:

that sounds pretty damned nice.

Except for the death part, which will suck. I'm pretty excited. I've had my A6 for 8 years and its in need of new brakes and a few other things that were going to cost around $4k. The car is worth $10-12k based on the estimates I've received, so just not worth dumping that much into it. I think the Audi does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds or something and its got enough power quite honestly. The BMW will do it in 3.6 seconds.

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

2020 550i should be in in a couple weeks. Can't wait to check out the new engine. The '19 i drove was plenty fast but with the 850 engine in the '20, it has 523hp. May get a Dinan stage 1 to bump that up to about 600hp. May I RIP.

Imagine telling somebody at the turn of the millenium that there's a luxury sedan that comes out of the factory with 500 horses.  And it's not even the top of its line. 

And that these factory cars are running 10s and 11s in the quarter-mile stock.  It's almost perverse.

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Imagine telling somebody at the turn of the millenium that there's a luxury sedan that comes out of the factory with 500 horses.  And it's not even the top of its line. 

And that these factory cars are running 10s and 11s in the quarter-mile stock.  It's almost perverse.

It really is.  Add in that its displacement is under 300 ci.

But frankly the crazy-ass turbo 4s like the eco-boost are the most flabbergasting of all.

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The M5 and M8 are insane, both with 600+ horsepower stock. Of course that's a $20k upgrade over the 550 and I can get nearly the same hp with the Dinan upgrade for under $3k. It won't keep up with the M5, but will be pretty damn close.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It really is.  Add in that its displacement is under 300 ci.

But frankly the crazy-ass turbo 4s like the eco-boost are the most flabbergasting of all.

Mercedes AMG A45... 2.0 liter producing 416HP.  More than the BMW E39 4.4L V8. 

Back then to drag race you got an F-body with LS1, intake, cam, exhaust, slicks, maybe nitrous... and today it might get walked by a Mercedes from the showroom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Except for the death part, which will suck. I'm pretty excited. I've had my A6 for 8 years and its in need of new brakes and a few other things that were going to cost around $4k. The car is worth $10-12k based on the estimates I've received, so just not worth dumping that much into it. I think the Audi does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds or something and its got enough power quite honestly. The BMW will do it in 3.6 seconds.

Brakes are about $500 and a case of beer if you find someone like me to do them for you. Biggest fucking ripoff ever at a dealership.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

SUVs. An M and a 4.8i.

400,000 miles and counting

I drove around 500,000 between a 318, a 335, a 540i, and then I had 3 x5’s. One 4.4, and 4.8 txt and a x5m.  Every one of those was various levels of bad. The xm was a demon nightmare. I keep thinking it’s due to the x5 being made here vs the others being made in Germany. Idk. 

41 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

I drove around 500,000 between a 318, a 335, a 540i, and then I had 3 x5’s. One 4.4, and 4.8 txt and a x5m.  Every one of those was various levels of bad. The xm was a demon nightmare. I keep thinking it’s due to the x5 being made here vs the others being made in Germany. 

Well, there is one common denominator here 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Okie State said:

Seriously. One chance and fuck you. Zero brand loyalty.

I've just heard too many anecdotes about BMW and Audi along those lines.  I won't even let myself look at them seriously.

One of my parents' friends pined for a Benz back in the 60s-70s when they weren't as ubiquitous as today.  He finally got one, I presume a 230, and it was a complete POS, in the shop constantly and he only had it a couple of years.  They giggled at and pitied Mack for years.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've just heard too many anecdotes about BMW and Audi along those lines.  I won't even let myself look at them seriously.

One of my parents' friends pined for a Benz back in the 60s-70s when they weren't as ubiquitous as today.  He finally got one, I presume a 230, and it was a complete POS, in the shop constantly and he only had it a couple of years.  They giggled at and pitied Mack for years.

I always want to buy one, but shy away after reading horror stories. I have the same issue with Volvo. Love their design, but worry about reliability. I, of course, am not like most on here who buy new every two years so reliability matters to me. We'll still at least test drive an Audi and Volvo though.

Edited by Okie State
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I always want to buy one, but shy away after reading horror stories. I have the same issue with Volvo. Love their design, but worry about reliability. I, of course, am not like most on here who buy new every two years so reliability matters to me. We'll still at least test drive an Audi and Volvo though.

I havent really heard bad things about Volvo, but for the most part I haven't known anyone who had one since the old boat style.  On the rare occasion I ride in one, I am usually impressed, though.

• Like 1

A couple years ago I was nosing around and found some Volvos that seemed really cheap. Deeper dive indicated that they lose value really quickly due to unreliability (actual or perceived). 

Speaking of unreliable, just saw a fb posting of a guy not too far from me trying to sell his 1990 XJS V12 with 200k miles. 

We just got rid of my wife’s Volvo 2013 XC90. It was an OK car but seemed unsuited to Texas heat: peeling, cracked exterior rubber and weatherstripping, a lot of fading and sun bleaching of badges, interior trim that warped and cracked, and a ton of failed electrical parts, not to mention an AC compressor that sounded like it was about to go out.

I was happy with the dealership experience and the V90 wagon is pure sex, but I didn’t want to deal with more hassles and bought an Outback. My wife is listening to a lot of Tegan and Sara these days, but the car is rock solid.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

BMW is great under warranty or if you’re prepared for service costs. Our new one has a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. I drive it like I stole it.

I've not found the service costs all that high. Over the past 11 years I've only been to dealer once, and that was to calibrate the adaptive headlight I had to replace that got wiped out by a bit of shrapnel from a tractor trailer blowout in front of me.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
I could dig that color on a Singer.  

You still building yours?

I actually emailed them telling them Olson here can do them much faster and while they may not be quite as good - waiting that long is real turn off.  Then Seamus Taaffe (can't make that name up) magically said they can move the build dates up.  Then they sent the configurator with a login - and holy shit it's overwhelming.  I still want to do one but will clearly need to dedicate time to the option/build out planning. 

I actually emailed them telling them Olson here can do them much faster and while they may not be quite as good - waiting that long is real turn off.  Then Seamus Taaffe (can't make that name up) magically said they can move the build dates up.  Then they sent the configurator with a login - and holy shit it's overwhelming.  I still want to do one but will clearly need to dedicate time to the option/build out planning. 
I'll spec it for you. Just make sure you pay for it.
  • Haha 1

Despite my wants, I am likely buying a branded luxury car. Always had more practical as I am cheap af. 
Between a 2-3 year old BMW 3/4 series or Audi A4-A6. I am leaning towards Audi as they seem to be more reliable. 
My S6 has been incredibly reliable. Add on a CPO warranty and you're good to go.

10 hours ago, LABEVO said:

Despite my wants, I am likely buying a branded luxury car. Always had more practical as I am cheap af. 

Between a 2-3 year old BMW 3/4 series or Audi A4-A6. I am leaning towards Audi as they seem to be more reliable. 

B8 S4 or a V8 Lexus if somehow they creep down to that price.

18 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

So I didn’t watch that but I heard about this...

How did they find tires that could handle 300+? Or really how did they build them

I’d be shitting myself worrying that they would come apart... and I mean explode...

i know that ehra-lessien is manicured to the nth degree but i would still just be scared shitless a pebble somehow made it onto the road and sent me flying...as for the tires, they were reinforced with carbon fiber:

According to Ellrott, the two French companies (Michelin’s Clermont-Ferrand headquarters is just a six-hour drive from Bugatti’s digs near Molsheim) took the Chiron’s standard tire and applied a layer of carbon fiber to the carcass for additional strength. Then the two companies tested, but not with a car.

“We used a plane test bench in Charlotte, [North Carolina], U.S.A., to make sure that the tire will be okay with more than 500 kilometers per hour (311 miles per hour),” Ellrott said. “After that you might see that 500 kph is okay, so you go faster and faster [with the tire], so we could see what the fade would be.”

That’s a fancy way of saying Bugatti and Michelin tested the carbon-fiber-reinforced tires to failure. This was not just for giggles, though. Suffering a blowout at such speeds would almost certainly be fatal for the record-setting Chiron’s driver, Andy Wallace. So, the two companies pushed the tire to the max to identify warning signs that the tire was preparing to let go.

‘You will first have signs that the tire is going to be destroyed. There will be noise and vibrations before the tire completely explodes,” Ellrott told Wheels.

Fortunately for Bugatti, Michelin, and Wallace, aside from a jump, the Chiron hit 304 without issue. According to Wheels, the upgraded Michelins will likely end up on the limited-edition Chiron Super Sport 300+.

The unheralded hero of any speed run is the tires: At a certain threshold, the

rubber can’t properly grip the asphalt, capping the car’s velocity. To hit 305 mph, the Chiron’s tires had to withstand 5,300 g while rotating 68 times per second. So Michelin made the car a special set of rubbers, with reinforced steel belts holding everything together. In a run on a test bench, the tires held up at 318 mph, and the engineers x-rayed each to have a proper look before attaching them to the car.

• Like 2