The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I have some oil and air filters left over. You plan on keeping it long? (I miss mine, such a fun car.)

it's got a list of maintenance and repair issues to address.  could easily spend $2,000 or more fixing some things.  but every month i drive it i'm saving $700 in payments and insurance easily.  with $0 in depreciation.  and car shopping is a giant pain in the ass.  and fuck current interest rates.  might keep it even if buy something else, it's too cheap to run to get rid of. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

20240304_121743.thumb.jpg.e1ee94d0a4a3e95d13ebf1933f517115.jpg

So how was YOUR day? Because my day featured this little scene right here, with my brand-spankin' new car with not even 1600 miles on it. Hit a MASSIVE pothole that dented the rim and opened up a 2-inch gash in the tire at 8 this morning.

Now, I can file a claim with the city, but when I went to the spot where it happened this afternoon, guess what I saw?

20240304_150818.thumb.jpg.57e42626a53c0008a22585ad4c8a57b3.jpg

They fixed it.

Fuck me, right?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7
  • Prepare your anus 1

5 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

From the size of that patch I would take it to a frame shop and make sure the front suspension isn't warped.

I made sure they checked; seems like there's no frame damage.

But yeah. It was a doozy.

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:

I hate how more cars are coming with 18-20 inch wheels now. Makes it easier to bend a rim.

And slower to accelerate, slower to break, rougher ride, more unsprung weight...  but you trade that all for looks

My pet peeve is that you see people with tactical barbie dress up a trucks or jeeps and then they slap on big rims with small stiff sidewall tires. Off road machine indeed!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, locodos said:

And slower to accelerate, slower to break, rougher ride, more unsprung weight...  but you trade that all for looks

My pet peeve is that you see people with tactical barbie dress up a trucks or jeeps and then they slap on big rims with small stiff sidewall tires. Off road machine indeed!

Seems like they’re easier to break

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, locodos said:

agreed.  but wheel wells are getting ridiculous where the small wheels look pathetic. 

this is really aesthetically sensible dimension and sidewall for a mid-sized car: 235/40/19

11f479bed30be6614640d1323c3e255d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2024 at 7:40 PM, Rimbo said:

20240304_121743.thumb.jpg.e1ee94d0a4a3e95d13ebf1933f517115.jpg

So how was YOUR day? Because my day featured this little scene right here, with my brand-spankin' new car with not even 1600 miles on it. Hit a MASSIVE pothole that dented the rim and opened up a 2-inch gash in the tire at 8 this morning.

Now, I can file a claim with the city, but when I went to the spot where it happened this afternoon, guess what I saw?

20240304_150818.thumb.jpg.57e42626a53c0008a22585ad4c8a57b3.jpg

They fixed it.

Fuck me, right?

I'm right there with you.  Hit a pothole on the highway yesterday and blew out the front right tire on my car. Haven't been to Discount Tire yet, so I don't know if the rim is damaged or not.  And since my car is AWD, it's likely I will need to replace all 4 tires.

• Prepare your anus 1

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

And since my car is AWD, it's likely I will need to replace all 4 tires.

Now that's one nice thing about doing it with a new car... hahahahhahaha... new enough I don't have to replace more than just the one. :)

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

Now that's one nice thing about doing it with a new car... hahahahhahaha... new enough I don't have to replace more than just the one. :)

The tires on it only have maybe 4-5k miles on them, so there's a chance I'll only have to replace one (my car eats tires at a prodigious pace), but I have to wait and see what DT says.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/7/2024 at 8:01 PM, EastHorn said:

Those are gonna sell like hot cakes.  Ride height is gonna kill a lot of kids in whole foods parking lot.  

It's quite a bit lower than the current Rivian offerings. And I haven't killed anyone in a parking lot yet!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:38 AM, Jersey Man10 said:

I hate how more cars are coming with 18-20 inch wheels now. Makes it easier to bend a rim.

Even the little cars like my brand new 2024 Civic Hatchback has 17” rims. 
They oughta pad the seats more in these things if they’re gonna go wagon wheel design.

347BB50B-AB20-481E-87E9-D39A0925EA9B.jpeg

625976FF-0D2D-40C9-B8B2-5D3F43092A98.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 1:54 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Gorgeous 

53617500815_af783e4971_b.jpg

Pulled up next to a restored one in dark green at a stop light today. Such a badass vehicle and it sounded perfect. Just a Dad cruising with his son in the back. I was jealous.

On 3/12/2024 at 8:22 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

A guy in my neighborhood owns a garage that specializes in Swedish cars. This was in his driveway today. 

20240312_183523.thumb.jpg.9759dadc9ae82aece45733bd264ecf9e.jpg

Hey Griswold, where do you think you’re gonna put a tree that big?

Edited by Your Mom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I coded those onto our Mercedes. Had a very basic 6zone system on a Mazda that was fun to watch but not great. The Mercedes has 20+ zones and it's amazing. Would like to try one of the zoned laser headlights.

4 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

I coded those onto our Mercedes. Had a very basic 6zone system on a Mazda that was fun to watch but not great. The Mercedes has 20+ zones and it's amazing. Would like to try one of the zoned laser headlights.

What year Mercedes? Who did the work for you? How easy of a process was it? 

I've got a '16 that I am debating unlocking, but I'm a little leery of letting some rando from the internet remotely log into my car's shit and mash buttons. 

I posted about it somewhere on here, but RJauto was who I used, and yes some rando remoted my (beater) laptop over the internet. Had to swap the steering wheel buttons in my case, which they shipped to me pretty quick from Europe, wasn't too difficult.

This is on a 2021¿ GLS.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2024 at 1:23 AM, Sam Lin said:

Ironically the best headlights ive used are older systems with fewer zones. A rental Opel with their first-gen matrix lamps were magic. 

Favorite headlights were Xenon era with slightly purplish hue. My S2k had bright ass beams with amazingly sharp cutoffs. 

LEDs so far suck but the matrix make em really useful. 

Went to the Audi dealership Sunday (mid day) to look at a couple of SQ8’s. Kept hearing something over the PA system, so I walked back around where I could hear better and it was an announcement saying we were trespassing and the police had been notified. Security guys pulled up not long after and said they keep the entire dealership group under video security and notify the police if people are on the lot after hours. I told him he might want to tell someone to post a sign in the only place you can park to access the lots and save the hassle. I’m sure police weren’t notified, but the whole thing was dumb. 

She is eyeballing an Ineos now, we’ll see where that goes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Brew said:

She is eyeballing an Ineos now, we’ll see where that goes.

Post pics of Grenadier, and wife, if you get it.

The blue Grenadier looks pretty fuckin sweet.

E30-34-001-01-22-5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

My goddamn electric car failed road inspection because — get this — the rotor has “too much rust”. Turns out, parts of the inside face is hazy (instead of polished smooth) because the brakes are so minimally used. 

Anyway what is the quickest way to wear down the rotor surface? Ride the brakes at lower pressures? Stomp on the brakes at higher speeds and pressures? Use while the brakes are hot or cold?

• Haha 1

Brake harder, probably from higher speed. Electrics can only regen brake up to a limit, and then the mechanical brake takes the load. So if you're always braking lightly, your mechanical brakes are hardly being wiped at all.

But if your inner and outer face look different, it's a caliper not compressing evenly and may be the real reason they failed you.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

My goddamn electric car failed road inspection because — get this — the rotor has “too much rust”. Turns out, parts of the inside face is hazy (instead of polished smooth) because the brakes are so minimally used. 

Anyway what is the quickest way to wear down the rotor surface? Ride the brakes at lower pressures? Stomp on the brakes at higher speeds and pressures? Use while the brakes are hot or cold?

Find an empty road and do a couple 60-0 hard stops.  That should do it.