The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

The nice thing about the hybrid to me is the range. Was lucky to get 300 miles out of the WRX. This thing... I'm not sure what kind of driving I'd have to do to get fewer than 400.

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Try starting a new subscription with a different name

But... I like the name I have. Can't I just go to the Texas One store and, like, buy a new one?

• Hook 'Em 1

new Lexus GX550 is looking hot. Lexus TX comes in hybrid. both are big. Sequoia looks nice too.

MDX looks hot as well. My ex's bf drove an MDX, he was a total wanker. accountant, would get drunk on the weekends with her and when I'd come to get the kids or drop them off he would run out to talk about bitcoin and how I had to get in on it. he has one and it was worth $60,000. mkay. dude bragged about never spending money and he played the electric guitar by himself and only liked hard rock music and shat on anyone that liked anything else - especially Texas country. just a total dork.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Drive a GLE/GLS and you'll know quickly if it's a fit for you. I absolutely hate the experience: soft, isolated, way undersprung so you're using bump stops on even small bumps. Digital dash that has visual effects going all over the place, I find them fatiguing to drive esp at night, just never know what is normal visual effects and what is an actual alert/alarm message. My mom loves the isolated floating cloud driving experience and that's why I have experience with them. Burmester sound (stereo) is not bad but should be better.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, troph said:

new Lexus GX550 is looking hot. Lexus TX comes in hybrid. both are big. Sequoia looks nice too.

MDX looks hot as well. My ex's bf drove an MDX, he was a total wanker. accountant, would get drunk on the weekends with her and when I'd come to get the kids or drop them off he would run out to talk about bitcoin and how I had to get in on it. he has one and it was worth $60,000. mkay. dude bragged about never spending money and he played the electric guitar by himself and only liked hard rock music and shat on anyone that liked anything else - especially Texas country. just a total dork.

V6-Twin Turbo in the GX... do want

image.png.f7a59ad7f963889b4cdcd576b5cc1a1f.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, troph said:

Our Macan S lease is up in 3 months I have no idea what’s next. We won’t buy it, we may get the same car newer version. It’s a ridiculously great touring vehicle. I can get to rockport for fishing in no time flat. It yawns at 95 mph doing 2100 RPM in 7th gear. Handles like a champ. Has CarPlay but the electronics are German.  

my X is paid for and I’m in the cars and tuition window now with two teens. Ugh. So I’m not thrilled about having to reup.

Everything from downsize to one daily driver (I work from home but still unlikely) to downsize to a less expensive car - wife says the Volvo or Subaru route is fine but she’s not driving the lezzie car, to give up my truck and her macan and get a newer truck, to a Benz or Audi or fuck I don’t know are on the table.  Probably not another Tesla. 

the sports cars are out we need it for road trips. So it’s looking like the macan or maybe the Mercedes GLE. GLS may be too tight for my comfort for our garage. Or go the Subaru or Volvo route. Fuck I dunno.

last time I was uninspired but twice got us looking at the macan it was a great choice.  

Who’s totally thrilled with what they have right now in the ICE / hybrid categories?

I love my Rivian R1S. But they are not cheap at the moment. Coming from a Tesla Model X, you'd enjoy it. It's not an ICE or Hybrid. You can get it in dual motor now and with the max pack it gets like 350 miles (real miles, not Tesla estimate miles) with a full charge. 

My wife test drove the Volvo XC90 Hybrid and loved it, but is holding out for the EX90 full electric. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, hornian said:

I love my Rivian R1S. But they are not cheap at the moment. Coming from a Tesla Model X, you'd enjoy it. It's not an ICE or Hybrid. You can get it in dual motor now and with the max pack it gets like 350 miles (real miles, not Tesla estimate miles) with a full charge. 

My wife test drove the Volvo XC90 Hybrid and loved it, but is holding out for the EX90 full electric. 

That may be on the list to replace the X. Honestly right now I think we need one more stint in a car that accepts gasoline so we can get there fast. I don't really have an issue traveling with my Tesla X for most road trips. I've taken it to the coast multiple times as well as even Colorado and the delay is just part of it. But it has been nice to hop in the Porsche, drive 500 miles at 95 ,mph and stop once or twice for less than 10 mins.

I'll poke around the volvo site too.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1wOlldoP8E/?igsh=MWFzMzNnZm9xNDRzYQ==

That may be on the list to replace the X. Honestly right now I think we need one more stint in a car that accepts gasoline so we can get there fast. I don't really have an issue traveling with my Tesla X for most road trips. I've taken it to the coast multiple times as well as even Colorado and the delay is just part of it. But it has been nice to hop in the Porsche, drive 500 miles at 95 ,mph and stop once or twice for less than 10 mins.
I'll poke around the volvo site too.

You might hate it but the Genesis gets rave reviews. If I decide I’ve had enough of this Benz I’m gonna take a look.
  • Hook 'Em 1

They look awesome. I want one. However, I can’t justify getting rid of my truck. I work from home. We fly for most trips. It’s a 2017 Tundra with only 85k miles. It’s paid for. There is no good reason at all to trade in.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

They look awesome. I want one. However, I can’t justify getting rid of my truck. I work from home. We fly for most trips. It’s a 2017 Tundra with only 85k miles. It’s paid for. There is no good reason at all to trade in.

No good financial reason. Rubbernecking ladies eyeing goofyboy in a sexy ride is a plenty good reason. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rimbo said:

The nice thing about the hybrid to me is the range. Was lucky to get 300 miles out of the WRX. This thing... I'm not sure what kind of driving I'd have to do to get fewer than 400.

I hate buying gas. Feels like a total waste of money.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 1:29 PM, locodos said:

I bought low mileage off lease CRVs for my teens when they turned 16.   My son got an '09 and my daughter got a '16.   I helped each one change out the stereo to a Carplay unit with navigation and upgrade the speakers etc.  Taught them how to change the oil, windshield wipers, air filters, and brake pads (so they knew their way around the car a little bit)  I can tell you the quality fall off from my son's 09 to the '16 is amazing.  Just one example, the tabs that hold the door panels to the doors changed from 5 metal tabs with metal screws to 3 glued in plastic ones.  The clips that hold interior panels have fewer clips or connection points.   I get that you can simplify manufacturing and make improvements to something that's over built, but everything about his 09 feels much better built.

We buy all of our autos used. The newest is my 2013 and what you're talking about is evident even then. When we got the 2013 (bought pre-pandemic) we handed the 2010 CRV to one of our teens and with just that three year window everything just wasn't quite as solid. That being said, the issues that have developed in later models that I've read both on here and elsewhere may mean we look around at comparable models from other manufacturers for the next go around. We've never been particularly locked in to one specific make/model. We shop around the used market for reliable, safe transport and go from there. Got a great deal on a 2010 Outback that is still working for another teen, and the twenty year old Toyota is chugging right along with regular maintenance. Definitely think the construction quality among the last few years is just not that great.

I miss the old tiny trucks that Toyota used to make that ran forever even if they rusted like a sumbitch. You could fix that thing with odds and ends from the junk drawer in the garage and it would go like a champ. (Probably a deathtrap against today's massive beasts on the road but c'est la vie).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

V6-Twin Turbo in the GX... do want

image.png.f7a59ad7f963889b4cdcd576b5cc1a1f.png

I've been banging on my toyota dealership to get a release date but can't get a solid answer.  Damn it.  I want the Land Cruiser of this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

response from the closest lexus dealer:

"Thank you for reaching out.  The 2024 Lexus GX550 will begin production next month.  We will start receiving inventory on this model in March/April.  We do have a long list of pre-orders so there may be a wait if this is the model. "

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

response from the closest lexus dealer:

"Thank you for reaching out.  The 2024 Lexus GX550 will begin production next month.  We will start receiving inventory on this model in March/April.  We do have a long list of pre-orders so there may be a wait if this is the model. "

How long is the wait do you estimate? Are we looking at June or November, as examples? 

I wish I could answer that question.  Until production begins, I won't have a good idea of the wait time.  We will have a better understanding once we start receiving inventory.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

I hate buying gas. Feels like a total waste of money.

I didn't mind it when I was paying for premium and getting 19mpg on the WRX. I mind it much less paying 1/3d that on the Accord. I would like to go full electric; we bought extra solar panels, anticipating that we'd go electric soon, but right now the car companies are expecting me to pay extra for that, since the government is giving me a rebate.

Seriously. I'd get a $7500 rebate if I bought an Ioniq 6... or I should. So what does the dealer do? $7500 "market adjustment." They are stealing government incentives that are rightfully mine. That's theft, right there. Fuck Hyundai.

• Hook 'Em 1

I found it more appealing on the street to be quite honest but appealing in the same way the redic sports cars are like lambos and the like. I don't like any of them but the cyber truck looks stupid in pics, and less stupid in real life. not a fanboi though.

I sort of dig the way the Cybertruck looks.  But, if I want a pickup truck, I am getting a pickup truck.  I'll be interested in a Ford Lighting as soon as you can charge them at Tesla chargers.  The Rivian R1T is also pretty cool but too expensive.  

On the SUV EV front, the Kia EV9 looks interesting.  But, again, I am not interested unless and until you can actually charge these on the road...ie at Tesla chargers.

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That takes up too much room for fly rod tubes. Rod tubes on the roof and a small pop up camping trailer

1C3BD975-662A-4FE6-AB27-A70C02D55F5C.jpg

My experience with the pop ups is in Africa, where if you have a tent on the ground you might get eaten while you are sleeping.  Looks like this

IMG_0052.jpeg.56ab7e906c4e7f4dca03ab2fb67470ce.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My experience with the pop ups is in Africa, where if you have a tent on the ground you might get eaten while you are sleeping.  Looks like this

IMG_0052.jpeg.56ab7e906c4e7f4dca03ab2fb67470ce.jpeg

Counterpoint: I know a woman that was sleeping in a RTT in Yellowstone and got attacked by a grizzly. 

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Counterpoint: I know a woman that was sleeping in a RTT in Yellowstone and got attacked by a grizzly. 

Those fuckers are tall.  Lions are short.  I went down a wormhole when planning the South Africa trip.  We ended up not doing the camping thing, but based on what I learned researching it, If I had to have a nationality build me a vehicle to survive in the wild for more than a week, the South Africans get my vote.  Quality work at a good price.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Did she have food in the tent?

nope. Followed all the rules. Food kept in a yeti closed up in the cab of the truck. Trash taken down the road to the bear proof dumpsters. She said they had two cans of bear spray in the tent with them, and her boyfriend emptied a whole one directly into the bear's face before it finally ran off. She got out with bumps and bruises and some scratches. Boyfriend got stitches in his arm and scalp. Wrecked the Yakima RTT. 

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

nope. Followed all the rules. Food kept in a yeti closed up in the cab of the truck. Trash taken down the road to the bear proof dumpsters. She said they had two cans of bear spray in the tent with them, and her boyfriend emptied a whole one directly into the bear's face before it finally ran off. She got out with bumps and bruises and some scratches. Boyfriend got stitches in his arm and scalp. Wrecked the Yakima RTT. 

Yikes!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I was in my 20s and had a grizzly or black walking by my tent in Yellowstone. I wouldn’t know I froze and just tried my best to make sure I didn’t wet my pants. It walked away and tried to get in the trash cans they have there. Then it walked away. Fuuuuuck.

that one we followed all the rules hence no attack. Another time with little toddlers we went to Colorado to visit my FIL and could not get the goldfish crumbs out of the mini van. Watched a bear from inside the house rock the mini van trying to get the gold fish crumbs. Probably 5 mins easy before he or she left frustrated. Scratched the hell out of the paint.

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, troph said:

I think I’m going to get that gx550 unless I have to wait a year. Only thing is no hybrid so we may lease for 3-4 years expecting they will have it fully electric or at least hybrid by then.

The Landcruiser variant will be Hybrid at launch, whenever that is. Assume there will be an 18 month wait though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The Landcruiser variant will be Hybrid at launch, whenever that is. Assume there will be an 18 month wait though. 

I’m gonna sit with this decision for a week or so then go talk to them. Y’all know me, I like the nice things so I’ll probably stick to the L brand. I need to get my f350 fixed back up and I can drive that as a second if need be for 6 months - it’s not common we need two cars since I work from home. My son will be fully licensed today so we have him to help out too. 

Edited by troph

56 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m gonna sit with this decision for a week or so then go talk to them. Y’all know me, I like the nice things so I’ll probably stick to the L brand. I need to get my f350 fixed back up and I can drive that as a second if need be for 6 months - it’s not common we need two cars since I work from home. My son will be fully licensed today so we have him to help out too. 

Honestly, I'd probably lean Lexus as well. The twin turbo V6 gives it a significantly higher towing capacity than the 4 cyl hybrid in the LC. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have first hand experience with the Ford Mach E (electric Mustang crossover)?  Thinking about this for my wife’s next vehicle now that the kids are gone.  She just drives around suburban Houston and almost never more than 20-30 miles a day.  I’m looking for the utility of a straight electric.  Don’t like Elon and all his shenanigans, so am not seriously looking at Tesla.  Like the idea of the federal rebate.  Pros/cons?  Seems like an electric fits our mission.  

Anybody have first hand experience with the Ford Mach E (electric Mustang crossover)?  Thinking about this for my wife’s next vehicle now that the kids are gone.  She just drives around suburban Houston and almost never more than 20-30 miles a day.  I’m looking for the utility of a straight electric.  Don’t like Elon and all his shenanigans, so am not seriously looking at Tesla.  Like the idea of the federal rebate.  Pros/cons?  Seems like an electric fits our mission.  

100% agree on Elon and his shit. That said, the fiancée just bought a model y. She’s the perfect electric car owner, works from home, never takes road trips (that’s what my truck is for) Honestly, it’s a pretty damn good car for that. FWTW.

59 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Don’t believe the Mach E qualifies for the 7500 tax credit as of Jan 1.