The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

34 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

240 buddies! Coming up on 1 year with mine. Did you have the rear spoiler port-installed?

IMG_6966.jpeg

Yup!  I thought about getting the MP exhaust installed at port too but decided against it in the end.  I may go aftermarket down the road or just do a downpipe. 

Had a hard time deciding between portimao blue and thundernight metallic.  Ultimate went with TNM since to be unique.  And can't go wrong with the PB&J colorway.  Currently get PPF, tint and ceramic coating done this week.  Should get it back on Friday.

Edited by speed817
  • Hook 'Em 1

Apologies for not digging too deep into the thread but looking for opinions on the luxury mid-size SUV market. We checked out the qx60 and c60 today. I loved my old g35 so I'm partial to the 3.5 (if they're anything like they used to be) over the other 4c turbo options but what do I know - wife (no pics) probably doesn't give a shit one way or the other. Haven't had recent ownership experience with any of the big brands so any help is welcome. 

All the reviewers seem to rave about the Genesis. If you like the unusual styling probably worth a look.

Apologies for not digging too deep into the thread but looking for opinions on the luxury mid-size SUV market. We checked out the qx60 and c60 today. I loved my old g35 so I'm partial to the 3.5 (if they're anything like they used to be) over the other 4c turbo options but what do I know - wife (no pics) probably doesn't give a shit one way or the other. Haven't had recent ownership experience with any of the big brands so any help is welcome. 

What do you mean by “luxury”?

On 9/14/2023 at 6:44 AM, Buzzrock said:

All the reviewers seem to rave about the Genesis. If you like the unusual styling probably worth a look.

Wife is in the market for a new car since some idiot rear-ended her on 360 last week and totaled her Model Y (to be fair, the Model Y held up well in the crash, but insurance ain't gonna pay to try to fix it).

Anyway, she is only looking at EV SUV/crossovers. She test drove the Genesis GV70 yesterday and loved almost everything about it, surprisingly to her. The BMW iX is her favorite, but it's almost 50% more expensive. She's also looking at a slightly used Rivian R1S today (I have one, so we know what it drives like). 

Too bad Volvo pushed the EX90 out another year - we have a deposit for it, but the plan was to trade the Model Y when it came out. Now that we are probably buying something new that may not work. Unless we decide to lease for a year and just put the insurance payout from the Tesla into a HYSA or something and wait for the Volvo. 

On 9/12/2023 at 12:00 PM, nolongerU2horn said:

240 buddies! Coming up on 1 year with mine. Did you have the rear spoiler port-installed?

IMG_6966.jpeg

I much prefer the look of the M240i over the new M2. Something about the new one just looks off to me. Being the owner of a 2020 M2C, I am somewhat biased.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, faps said:

I much prefer the look of the M240i over the new M2. Something about the new one just looks off to me. Being the owner of a 2020 M2C, I am somewhat biased.

I mostly agree. Although I also kinda hated the M240i at the time of reveal and really warmed up to it a lot (obviously). I suspect I'll warm up to the new M2 over time as well.

On 9/14/2023 at 11:03 AM, Handcruser said:

What do you mean by “luxury”?

That's part of the issue... Wife's ideal price point doesn't get far enough into Audi/BMW etc to feel the luxury. Test drove X3 and Q5 today and she wasn't impressed. She's coming from a '13 Pilot (awesome, reliable car) so has her mind set on a fancy brand. Car buying can be difficult enough without bringing my wife into it. 

10 hours ago, faps said:

Awful geometrics going on with the front and rear bumper covers but dem hips don't lie

image.thumb.jpeg.201301e52d41da912c3c0cdc7d0601d1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f7b7f244c34ae3936551f5cebf41cedb.jpeg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Nice car. It’s growing on me. Not that I own a BMW anymore (E28, E34 here), but I am happy they at least moved away from that long buck toothed look of the newer grill to their more traditional/classic styling.

The rest of the styling, reminds me of the trade offs of the C6, C7 to C8 tail lights. Shocking, other worldly, so different that it cast aside their traditional market appeal, in hopes of capturing a new and younger demographic.

On 9/15/2023 at 10:18 PM, Rimbo said:

Thinking about selling my 10 year old WRX wagon and getting something electric. Currently leaning towards the Ioniq 5.

I like the look and shape of the BMW i4 but... why it so 'spensive?

giphy.gif

the bmw... theres no reason for an electric car to have a transmission tunnel hump and unusable front trunk

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2023 at 1:54 AM, Gravy Train said:

Awful geometrics going on with the front and rear bumper covers but dem hips don't lie

image.thumb.jpeg.201301e52d41da912c3c0cdc7d0601d1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f7b7f244c34ae3936551f5cebf41cedb.jpeg

For the most part, I like it.  My only issue the the front, below the kidney grilles.  Feel like they could've done something better here.  Just fills like empty space.  Hoping to installed my yellow DRLs tomorrow afternoon now that I have my car back.

On 9/16/2023 at 1:54 AM, Gravy Train said:

The sad thing is it coulda been awesome. The body shape is great, but the front intake squares, headlights, tailights are bad. The rear bumper cover is a monstrosity. The 240 has the same issues except for the rear bumper cover. The 230 is actually better, doesn't have the fugly triangles.

Usually the nice styling cues from the top models flow down to the lower models, but BMW decided to go all crazy with look at me crap rather than art. This shape with a front and rear like the M8 would have been awesome.

4 minutes ago, RichUT said:

The frunk obsession baffles me. What the fuck do I need yet another place to store shit for? I need less shit in my life, not more.

i cant answer why you would need more space.  when we take long roadtrips we occupy every inch of cargo volume, including the frunk. 

also it signals the design philosophy behind the car.  what kind of engineering and packaging went into that car, if it lacks a gigantic motor but frees up no volume?

i cant answer why you would need more space.  when we take long roadtrips we occupy every inch of cargo volume, including the frunk. 
also it signals the design philosophy behind the car.  what kind of engineering and packaging went into that car, if it lacks a gigantic motor but frees up no volume?

The i4 is unapologetically an EV that was retro-fitted from an ICE platform. Personally that was a major selling point for me, as I find many purpose designed EV’s to be too kitschy looking. But to each their own.

On 9/15/2023 at 4:18 PM, Rimbo said:

I like the look and shape of the BMW i4 but... why it so 'spensive?

I had an i4 loaner while my iX was getting service, I have to say I was not super impressed with the performance. It was a I guess a base model, so that probably has something to do with it, but the iX is significantly more fun imo. And the iX isn't even close to my old X5M itself as far as chassis.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

I had an i4 loaner while my iX was getting service, I have to say I was not super impressed with the performance. It was a I guess a base model, so that probably has something to do with it, but the iX is significantly more fun imo. And the iX isn't even close to my old X5M itself as far as chassis.

I test drove an iX followed by the i4 e40 and walked away feeling the same. Then I got the m50 and it was a dramatically different experience. Thats the model to get.

Edited by RichUT

I made on offer on a car over the weekend. I was dealing with an out of state dealership over email. Their price was $55K, and I offered $52K. Specifically I wrote, “I am ready to move forward at $52,000 + your doc fee + my local taxes, out the door with the 2.09% financing. If that works, please let me know what you need for the deposit/down payment and the credit app.”

To which he replied, “I'd like to be the first to tell you congratulations! the next step is to get you qualified for the special rate and collect a non-refundable partial payment to take this off the market. You can complete the financing application by going to the following website:” etc.

Since then it has become apparent that he misread my email and assumed I had agreed to the $55K. He says he has no room to move on the price. He asked how close I can get to the $55K, but I said he has my offer and if he wants to counter he can.

I like the car, and low mileage examples that are similarly equipped are hard to find (the next closest is 800 miles away). The manager left me a voicemail but I’ve had some travel this week and haven’t called him.

I’m trying to decide if I want to deal with them or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Okie State said:

Like you said, he has your offer and can counter if he wants to. Not sure what additional conversation needs to occur.

Seems like it would be fun to fuck with him about reading comprehension, but time seems to be short.  Other than that, yeah he’s got the offer and balls in their court. 

I made on offer on a car over the weekend. I was dealing with an out of state dealership over email. Their price was $55K, and I offered $52K. Specifically I wrote, “I am ready to move forward at $52,000 + your doc fee + my local taxes, out the door with the 2.09% financing. If that works, please let me know what you need for the deposit/down payment and the credit app.”

To which he replied, “I'd like to be the first to tell you congratulations! the next step is to get you qualified for the special rate and collect a non-refundable partial payment to take this off the market. You can complete the financing application by going to the following website:” etc.

Since then it has become apparent that he misread my email and assumed I had agreed to the $55K. He says he has no room to move on the price. He asked how close I can get to the $55K, but I said he has my offer and if he wants to counter he can.

I like the car, and low mileage examples that are similarly equipped are hard to find (the next closest is 800 miles away). The manager left me a voicemail but I’ve had some travel this week and haven’t called him.

I’m trying to decide if I want to deal with them or not.

Where are you getting 2.09?

You know what sucks about most new cars I look at? The colors. You get a selection of gray, light gray, dark gray, greenish gray, cyber gray, flat gray, bland, off-white, white, black, rust, unvarnished bronze, khaki, and beige. It's like the designers nowadays are taking their cues from 1990s-era desktop computers.

IF you're lucky, you might get one actual color, and it's almost always blue or green, never orange or yellow or red or something, you know, nice.

My '03 WRX 20 years ago was this color Subaru called Sonic Yellow. Your eyes were drawn to it before you'd be conscious of it. I'd go to the parking lot, and before my brain would think "So where's my car?" my eyes would already be looking at it. And there were many times where I'd be driving and some sleepy commuter would be about to pull out in front of me, and the same thing would happen to them -- that yellow just made you look.

For chrissakes, someone make a fuckin' magenta car already or something. Gimme something red, yellow and green, Rasta bitch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

You know what sucks about most new cars I look at? The colors. You get a selection of gray, light gray, dark gray, greenish gray, cyber gray, flat gray, bland, off-white, white, black, rust, unvarnished bronze, khaki, and beige. It's like the designers nowadays are taking their cues from 1990s-era desktop computers.

IF you're lucky, you might get one actual color, and it's almost always blue or green, never orange or yellow or red or something, you know, nice.

My '03 WRX 20 years ago was this color Subaru called Sonic Yellow. Your eyes were drawn to it before you'd be conscious of it. I'd go to the parking lot, and before my brain would think "So where's my car?" my eyes would already be looking at it. And there were many times where I'd be driving and some sleepy commuter would be about to pull out in front of me, and the same thing would happen to them -- that yellow just made you look.

For chrissakes, someone make a fuckin' magenta car already or something. Gimme something red, yellow and green, Rasta bitch.

grays are nice.

but also, yellow is the best car color.

• Hook 'Em 1