The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Yup. Aforementioned dealer got hungry on the last week of the quarter and we made a deal. I flew from Atlanta to Louisville yesterday morning to pick it up and I made it as far as Jasper, TN (after a little bourbon shopping) before it threw an error saying the coolant was hot and to shut off the car. I was just outside of Chattanooga.

Louisville service manager tried a few things remotely and determined it would need to be towed. MB Roadside couldn’t find a tow truck but the sales manager at the Louisville dealership eventually found one to tow it to the Chattanooga dealership and put me up at a hotel.

But I spent five hours on the side of the interstate from 6 to 11PM. Got to the hotel after midnight.

Nice car though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

How unfortunate.
If interested, there may be some kind of clause in the contract that allows you to back out of the deal within 24 (or maybe even 48?) hours or some such. 

It’s hard to know if one issue is going to lead to more. It has a clean service history and is warranted through 2025.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/30/2023 at 6:38 AM, Buzzrock said:

Yup. Aforementioned dealer got hungry on the last week of the quarter and we made a deal. I flew from Atlanta to Louisville yesterday morning to pick it up and I made it as far as Jasper, TN (after a little bourbon shopping) before it threw an error saying the coolant was hot and to shut off the car. I was just outside of Chattanooga.

Louisville service manager tried a few things remotely and determined it would need to be towed. MB Roadside couldn’t find a tow truck but the sales manager at the Louisville dealership eventually found one to tow it to the Chattanooga dealership and put me up at a hotel.

But I spent five hours on the side of the interstate from 6 to 11PM. Got to the hotel after midnight.

Nice car though. emoji854.png

I had a Porsche Cayenne S that had hot engine and low coolant problems.  It actually was caused during a starter replacement.  For some stupid reason, the starter is installed under the intake plenum.  You have to open up the top of the motor and that means coolant has to be lost and refilled.  I had to take it back several times to burp it or fill it.  It was really annoying and I sold it shortly after.  Owning a 115k mile Porsche is a pain.

• Rage+1 1

New water pump is installed. They paid all my expenses, will cover the next couple of regularly scheduled maintenance visits at my request, and are detailing and delivering the car to my house tomorrow. They’ve made it right as far as I’m concerned.

Now if it’s back in the shop any time soon…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

New water pump is installed. They paid all my expenses, will cover the next couple of regularly scheduled maintenance visits at my request, and are detailing and delivering the car to my house tomorrow. They’ve made it right as far as I’m concerned.

Now if it’s back in the shop any time soon…

Albeit a “small” story, at least you have something to laugh about with the neighbor.  Nothing compared to flood/stripper/whatever other crazy shit he’s used to buying. But still. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

How does it compare to your Audi (other than much better tech)? 

The Audi is a 2012 so at this point it fits like an old baseball glove. I’ve put about 85K miles on it. So the Benz feels kind of like a pair of shoes that haven’t broken in yet. There is also a shitload of tech customization (maybe too much?) that I haven’t gotten into. 

It’s more powerful by a bit and the steering feels heavier but not in a bad way. It feels like a bigger car than it is but that might be because the hood is more visible when driving. 

I need more quality time in it which I might get next week. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The Audi is a 2012 so at this point it fits like an old baseball glove. I’ve put about 85K miles on it. So the Benz feels kind of like a pair of shoes that haven’t broken in yet. There is also a shitload of tech customization (maybe too much?) that I haven’t gotten into. 

It’s more powerful by a bit and the steering feels heavier but not in a bad way. It feels like a bigger car than it is but that might be because the hood is more visible when driving. 

I need more quality time in it which I might get next week. 

11 years old and 85k miles.  Damn, dude, I thought I didn't drive much and kept cars possibly over-long.

Interesting that M-B has sporadic water pump problems.  That's probably the most common semi-major repair I've had over the years, mostly murican cars.  The only thing ever went wrong in my CTS.

17 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

There is also a shitload of tech customization (maybe too much?) that I haven’t gotten into. 

I find the current Benz to be fatiguing to drive, as there's just so many screens and so much shit constantly changing display in front of you. I much prefer my older ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

About to enter year four with my lil hamster wheel ATS and I still love the thing.  It had quite a few niggling problems handled expediently under extended warranty and I was afraid this last year would be horrific, but it's been fine so far, knock on wood.

Part of me is sorry I didn't jump on the turbo wagon earlier, then again some of the niggling problems have been turbo/intake related.  But I am very impressed with the around-town driveability and fun factor of a 2.0T.

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I find the current Benz to be fatiguing to drive, as there's just so many screens and so much shit constantly changing display in front of you. I much prefer my older ones.

My newest car (both in terms of how long I've owned it, and the age of the car) is my 2016 AMG wagon, and I feel that I wouldn't want any more tech than that. While I've had it a couple of years, and I don't drive it in the winter or the rain (2007 Subaru Legacy GT wagon now gets those honors), I am still getting the hang of some of the tech. I truly don't want some of the shit that it has, so even thinking about more than that kind of stresses me out. 

I don't plan to ever buy another car for myself if I don't have to (between the two fast wagons and my 71  Skylark convertible, I have all my bases covered - just need to figure out how to convince Mrs. Doom to trade her Forester XT for a 911, and then I'll be even happier to stand pat...) and I'm happy to keep rebuilding the Subaru motor every 120k miles rather than getting a more modern car that I won't like as much. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

About to enter year four with my lil hamster wheel ATS and I still love the thing.  It had quite a few niggling problems handled expediently under extended warranty and I was afraid this last year would be horrific, but it's been fine so far, knock on wood.

Part of me is sorry I didn't jump on the turbo wagon earlier, then again some of the niggling problems have been turbo/intake related.  But I am very impressed with the around-town driveability and fun factor of a 2.0T.

I know that’s a real word. No fucking way Im trusting autocorrect with it several times.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

There’s something to be said for that. The Audi had a shit load of buttons and just one screen but once I learned what they all did I liked it that way. The new cars (Audis included) may have gone too far with the screens. I know Honda drivers screamed so they put a physical volume knob back on the radios. Sometimes the old ways are best. 

At age 51 I do find myself wondering how many more cars I will own. I’m going to trade the Audi in on something for the 17 year old girl, and the 14 year old boy tells me he wants a truck. Wife is in a 2017 Pilot so she will get something in a few years. 

It’s possible I will get tired of all the screens and noise of this car and get something different in a few years. Maybe an EV by then. But this crisp cool morning I met my parents for breakfast and then just decided to ignore all that stuff, put some music on, and drive. And for that application it is very nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

There’s something to be said for that. The Audi had a shit load of buttons and just one screen but once I learned what they all did I liked it that way. The new cars (Audis included) may have gone too far with the screens. I know Honda drivers screamed so they put a physical volume knob back on the radios. Sometimes the old ways are best. 

At age 51 I do find myself wondering how many more cars I will own. I’m going to trade the Audi in on something for the 17 year old girl, and the 14 year old boy tells me he wants a truck. Wife is in a 2017 Pilot so she will get something in a few years. 

It’s possible I will get tired of all the screens and noise of this car and get something different in a few years. Maybe an EV by then. But this crisp cool morning I met my parents for breakfast and then just decided to ignore all that stuff, put some music on, and drive. And for that application it is very nice. 

If I do have to buy another car, basic controls (climate, radio, etc.) will have physical buttons, not screens. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

13 hours ago, Okie State said:

Taught my 10 year old daughter how to change the oil in the car today. I'd wager 99% of the men I work with don't know how.

I did my last brake job last year.  I taught each kid how to do it on their own car.  Not that I ever expect them to change their brakes, I just wanted them to know the work involved and how badly they'll be screwed it they go to a mechanic without a clue about what they need done.  I had them call a few places to get quotes on 4 wheel pads and rotors.  Easy $1000+ with a teenager calling.   Then ordered the parts <$300 and put them on in a few hours.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, locodos said:

I did my last brake job last year.  I taught each kid how to do it on their own car.  Not that I ever expect them to change their brakes, I just wanted them to know the work involved and how badly they'll be screwed it they go to a mechanic without a clue about what they need done.  I had them call a few places to get quotes on 4 wheel pads and rotors.  Easy $1000+ with a teenager calling.   Then ordered the parts <$300 and put them on in a few hours.

and that is getting more difficult on new cars.  My Lexus has somehow integrated the emergency brake into the maintenance system so you need a Lexus computer to disengage it during a brake job

I want something like my 70 442 or 71 Ford pickup for when the shit comes down or we get an EMP attack so I can still drive. Although I don’t know if the modern gas station has accessible fuel with all the shit they have now.

I like my 99 4Runner as I can do so much on it without having to deal with a Toyota overlord.

I may have mentioned this before but for nostalgic reasons, I have been looking for a 95 ish 300zx twin turbo.  But, it has to be an automatic and has to be a certain color.  

After years of looking I found one that is completely stock which is rare.  But, it has 116k miles. 2 owner car with the current one having owned it since 1993.  

I don’t have any experience with older Japanese cars. Is this a major headache in the making, fafo, worst idea ever, not a terrible idea, something else?

54 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I may have mentioned this before but for nostalgic reasons, I have been looking for a 95 ish 300zx twin turbo.  But, it has to be an automatic and has to be a certain color.  

After years of looking I found one that is completely stock which is rare.  But, it has 116k miles. 2 owner car with the current one having owned it since 1993.  

I don’t have any experience with older Japanese cars. Is this a major headache in the making, fafo, worst idea ever, not a terrible idea, something else?

Body/Interior condition is far more important to me than mechanical. IMO, if those 2 are solid I would pull the trigger. Then again I enjoy turning wrenches.

12 hours ago, Atxracer said:

If it’s not white exterior, tan interior with T-tops you are wrong and should feel bad. 

*and has to be a stick*

Interior and body look great.  At least from the pics. Going to call the sales guy today and FaceTime with him to check out the car.  

Haven’t heard too many reasons not to go through with it but the mileage scares me a bit.  Ideally would like to find it with as few of miles as possible. 

8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If it’s not white exterior, tan interior with T-tops you are wrong and should feel bad. 

Ding, ding, ding. But, has to be the pearl white.  No can do on the stick. It’s for the wife.  I give up trying to teach her how to drive a manual.  Insert a million jokes here. 

CAE2121F-C939-423B-B794-3852019D961D.jpeg

F1EC2C1A-2C36-4813-8BDF-AC0C9EBC17E4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Called/FaceTimed the seller today.  They seemed pretty open and honest.  The driver front quarter does appear to have had some work so the whole car will need re-sprayed.  The interior and the rest of the body, including the frame, looked great.  Spectacular for the miles.  Took a video of start up and sounded normal.  

Getting an idea of what re-spraying it will cost and will take it from there.  

thanks for the input so far.