The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

19 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Saw a ton of badass shit over the weekend at the IndyCar race at RoadAmerica, including this Corvette. 

20230618_150247.thumb.jpg.c8d207ead9b6bd86c6b5f30bb7f86979.jpg20230618_150333.thumb.jpg.7de2672e0835763cf15d42a02a50071e.jpg

I’m not really a car guy, but why is that Corvette covered in all those little prancing horses?

• Haha 1

Anyone know of any good rim repair places in Houston?  I would love to tell you my wife did it, but alas.  I got over a bit too far when someone decided to jump their lane due to a fucking street parker. 

Check out Rollos, on Bissonnet
  • Like 1

No, and that car you see is the one they had to move out of the way to get to Ed’s car. It’s a Rolls that was headed elsewhere.

Chewbacca will be happy with Ed’s new car. I’m sure it will be on his channel soon, but we’ve got rainy weather here now and a long holiday weekend to get through.

No pics right now, but I took delivery of my Rivian R1S (the SUV) last week. I've seen a lot of them around Austin, so I'm not the only one.

This sucker is fast. It's ridiculous that a 7,000 lb SUV can go 0-60 in 3 seconds, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun. Although I did so many launches on day 1 showing it off I think I gave myself some mild whiplash. 

Extremely fun to drive, and assuming that the switch over to the Tesla charging standard that was announced (including a free adapter supposedly) happens next year, it's going to get even better for long road trips and the like. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 8:44 AM, midtown said:

Just a heads up for anyone buying a "higher end" weekend low mileage car.  I moved my Mach 1 to Hagerty from GEICO where I have DD F 150.   Saved me $500 a year in premium. 

What's a DD F 150?

Are used car prices ever going to come down?  Looking for a car for my oldest because the Landcruiser I bought him is too big, so we're looking at Mazda CX-5s and Subaru Crosstreks.  What the hell is up with a 9 year old car with 120,000 miles selling for $15k?  They were only $25k brand new!

This is very biased opinion for a myriad of reasons but I would buy a Korean vehicle long before I’d consider all but the very top of the line Mercedes.  And I’m not likely to buy Korean.

Years ago, maybe even decades ago a family friend had a Mercedes’ and had nothing but trouble with it and mainly the customer service. That being said it was a long time ago, he was a bit of a snob and it could have been strictly that dealer altogether he says he talked with corporate also. 
I’ve  been in the automotive industry for 25+ years so some customers just can’t be happy and some dealers aren’t what yelp says they are.  

I regularly visit a Mercedes’ dealer. It’s a huge one. It feels like every bay has an engine out… I don’t have that feeling at the even bigger ford dealer I visit. 

fuck Lewis Hamilton.  He’s a whiny little bitch driving a great car. Lol

Edited by Eugene11
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Would an AMG GT 63 s stay out of the shop? I'll stop dreaming if they're junk. I used to be afraid of turbos but my Volvo has been flawless so maybe...but I know nothing about Mercedes reliability. 

I had an E55, and two E63's. 

Get one that isn't the first year of a new model and they are pretty good. Pretty much no issues with them up until 120k-140k miles and then they kinda fell apart. Shocks went out on one and electrical issues on the other. Bought them around 80k miles. I took the one with electrical issues to a shop, they couldn't figure it out and sent it to the dealer. The dealer charged $100 for a diagnostic, worked on the car for around 150 hours, couldn't figure out the issue and didn't charge me a penny more. 

@immamac bought a low milage 2019. Other than a blown tire I don't think he's had much issues. Dealer took care of him on the blown tire even though it wasn't really covered.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Would an AMG GT 63 s stay out of the shop? I'll stop dreaming if they're junk. I used to be afraid of turbos but my Volvo has been flawless so maybe...but I know nothing about Mercedes reliability. 

The engine wouldn't be the reason it ever went to the shop. 

are you local to austin? I'm happy to let you take mine for a spin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/18/2023 at 4:29 PM, Chewbacca said:

Are used car prices ever going to come down?  Looking for a car for my oldest because the Landcruiser I bought him is too big, so we're looking at Mazda CX-5s and Subaru Crosstreks.  What the hell is up with a 9 year old car with 120,000 miles selling for $15k?  They were only $25k brand new!

Used car prices are still extremely stupid.  Looking for a 3rd vehicle and sellers are still asking for all sorts of crazy prices.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

The engine wouldn't be the reason it ever went to the shop. 

are you local to austin? I'm happy to let you take mine for a spin. 

When did you start driving a volvo?

• Hook 'Em 1

Last year we bought my son a 2007 Honda Accord V6 with 45k miles for 13k from eAuto here in San Antonio.  So yeah its 15 years old but other than the paint everything else looks almost new.  Per the eauto due the dealerships wont touch a car that old.  Also its hard for most people to get financing so the price really drops.  Even the mechanic we took it to for a minor repair said "where did you get this car because its in amazing condition"

Edited by midtown

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Lots of new teen drivers in my hood seem to be getting used Nissan Rouges. No one really wants them so the price is usually decent and they’re fine for new teen drivers. 4 of my daughters friends have one.

Oh yeah? What color rouge?

We went the new route, I could get a brand new Escape for less than what used ones were going for when we bought it and not much more than older, high mileage vehicles. Getting ready to buy something for the youngest and we’re probably going to do the same thing again unless something changes.

• Hook 'Em 1

*cross-posting to the classic car thread too

So I had one of those days the other day when my personal email inbox was overflowing with promotional emails from companies that I've done business with, events I've participated in, etc., and somehow the glut was like a Black Friday shitshow. 

So I went through and unsubscribed to 50 or so emails that I don't need to receive regularly. One of them was from California Car Cover, and they had a little box on the Unsubscribe page asking for my reason why I want off their list. 

I've been very pleased with the two covers of theirs that I use to protect my summer cars during their winter hibernation (1971 Buick Skylark convertible; 2016 E63s AMG wagon) and I told them as much, and how I simply don't need another until I hit the lottery and can build another garage to store cars in, or until I swap one of them out of the rotation, which I never intend to do. And as such, I no longer needed their regular email correspondence or their print catalogs, but that if I ever needed another cover, that I wouldn't go anywhere else. 

A few minutes ago, I got an email from someone at the company thanking me for my kind words, and telling me that he didn't see a car duster in my order history, so they were going to send me one free of charge. 

Really nice to see, and the kind of goodwill towards customers that I think has become all too rare these days. 

Their products are top notch, and their service is very attentive - when I ordered my AMG cover, I put a little note on the order form about how I installed a standing star hood ornament rather than the more flush-mounted stock style, and they called me in advance of constructing my order to talk about how to adjust for that. Even though it now required non-stock measurements, they drew it up and didn't change me a penny extra. 

Anyway, just wanted to give some context for plugging a company that I'm truly happy to do business with.

Check them out if you're in the market:

https://www.calcarcover.com/

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

single rear electric motor, 55kwh (so about half capacity of a Tesla Model S)

270hp against 2600 pounds

their commercial vehicle offering has so far been limited to putting other oem's motors into a single chassis from 50 years ago... so one wonders how much of this design is done in house vs relying on engineering from a mishmash of suppliers

04-1903-104542.jpg

04-1827-104487.jpg

04-1904-13005.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

single rear electric motor, 55kwh (so about half capacity of a Tesla Model S)

270hp against 2600 pounds

their commercial vehicle offering has so far been limited to putting other oem's motors into a single chassis from 50 years ago... so one wonders how much of this design is done in house vs relying on engineering from a mishmash of suppliers

04-1903-104542.jpg

04-1827-104487.jpg

04-1904-13005.jpg

This is what the rebooted Mitsubishi Eclipse should have looked like, instead of a fucking crossover. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

*cross-posting to the classic car thread too

So I had one of those days the other day when my personal email inbox was overflowing with promotional emails from companies that I've done business with, events I've participated in, etc., and somehow the glut was like a Black Friday shitshow. 

So I went through and unsubscribed to 50 or so emails that I don't need to receive regularly. One of them was from California Car Cover, and they had a little box on the Unsubscribe page asking for my reason why I want off their list. 

I've been very pleased with the two covers of theirs that I use to protect my summer cars during their winter hibernation (1971 Buick Skylark convertible; 2016 E63s AMG wagon) and I told them as much, and how I simply don't need another until I hit the lottery and can build another garage to store cars in, or until I swap one of them out of the rotation, which I never intend to do. And as such, I no longer needed their regular email correspondence or their print catalogs, but that if I ever needed another cover, that I wouldn't go anywhere else. 

A few minutes ago, I got an email from someone at the company thanking me for my kind words, and telling me that he didn't see a car duster in my order history, so they were going to send me one free of charge. 

Really nice to see, and the kind of goodwill towards customers that I think has become all too rare these days. 

Their products are top notch, and their service is very attentive - when I ordered my AMG cover, I put a little note on the order form about how I installed a standing star hood ornament rather than the more flush-mounted stock style, and they called me in advance of constructing my order to talk about how to adjust for that. Even though it now required non-stock measurements, they drew it up and didn't change me a penny extra. 

Anyway, just wanted to give some context for plugging a company that I'm truly happy to do business with.

Check them out if you're in the market:

https://www.calcarcover.com/

I second this, I have gotten one of their covers before.

• Hook 'Em 1