The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 10/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, Atxracer said:

Interior and body look great.  At least from the pics. Going to call the sales guy today and FaceTime with him to check out the car.  

Haven’t heard too many reasons not to go through with it but the mileage scares me a bit.  Ideally would like to find it with as few of miles as possible. 

Ding, ding, ding. But, has to be the pearl white.  No can do on the stick. It’s for the wife.  I give up trying to teach her how to drive a manual.  Insert a million jokes here. 

CAE2121F-C939-423B-B794-3852019D961D.jpeg

F1EC2C1A-2C36-4813-8BDF-AC0C9EBC17E4.jpeg

That's like the most 90's car that has ever 90s-ed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/13/2023 at 11:06 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

They are definitely a huge pain to work on engine wise (there’s no room in there, plus the rats nest of 1990s emissions and vacuum lines), but as said above I’d rather find one that doesn’t need bodywork. Pics?!?

cannot be overstated. I was working in the car stereo business when these things were new. Every tech in the shop would find something else to do when we rolled in one of these.

5 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Oh shit.  Hope Jeep Mafia don't see this.

They can come at me.  That CJ-7 broke all the fucking time.  It was only 7 years old when I bought it and the paint was already faded down to the metal in spots.  I would buy one if I could get it cheap.  But for $20k or more, that's a hell to the fucking no.  I'll go get an FJ40 for the same money.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

They can come at me.  That CJ-7 broke all the fucking time.  It was only 7 years old when I bought it and the paint was already faded down to the metal in spots.  I would buy one if I could get it cheap.  But for $20k or more, that's a hell to the fucking no.  I'll go get an FJ40 for the same money.

Some family friends had an 86 CJ-7 that they let us run around in was in high school. I got nostalgic a while back and went through the same process you did. Crazy what a clean one goes for.

My pops bought a 79 CJ-5 for ~$2,500 around 2002. It ran good but had the typical Jeep bugs here and there. He put $1,500 into it and sold it 4 or 5 years later for $5,000.

It looks like the CJ-5s aren't quite as much as the 7s, but they are also older and have a popcorn fart for a back seat.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars-for-sale/jeep-cj_5-for-sale?models=jeep.cj-5,jeep.cj-7&sort=price asc

It would be fun to have one to run around in this time of year though.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Some family friends had an 86 CJ-7 that they let us run around in was in high school. I got nostalgic a while back and went through the same process you did. Crazy what a clean one goes for.

My pops bought a 79 CJ-5 for ~$2,500 around 2002. It ran good but had the typical Jeep bugs here and there. He put $1,500 into it and sold it 4 or 5 years later for $5,000.

It looks like the CJ-5s aren't quite as much as the 7s, but they are also older and have a popcorn fart for a back seat.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars-for-sale/jeep-cj_5-for-sale?models=jeep.cj-5,jeep.cj-7&sort=price asc

It would be fun to have one to run around in this time of year though.

I bought my 1984 CJ-7 for $3,200 in 1991.  I sold it in 1996 for $4,000.  Still can't believe they are so expensive.

Jeeps have plenty of problems but I love them.  Our 2017 Wrangler is awesome, no problems so far, and someday I'm going to buy the 1978 CJ-5 Renegade that my best friend drove in high school, just as soon as his dad decides to let it go.  It's old but a real survivor.

Anyway, I really hate the look of those 90s Nissan 300ZX but I really love THIS car, which my next door neighbor drove:

Feel Nostalgic In A 1980 Datsun 280ZX 10th Anniversary ...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

Interior and body look great.  At least from the pics. Going to call the sales guy today and FaceTime with him to check out the car.  
Haven’t heard too many reasons not to go through with it but the mileage scares me a bit.  Ideally would like to find it with as few of miles as possible. 
Ding, ding, ding. But, has to be the pearl white.  No can do on the stick. It’s for the wife.  I give up trying to teach her how to drive a manual.  Insert a million jokes here. 

CAE2121F-C939-423B-B794-3852019D961D.thumb.jpeg.38aacd38f246c4a7b8198ec2c2391cde.jpeg
F1EC2C1A-2C36-4813-8BDF-AC0C9EBC17E4.thumb.jpeg.c71cacdbb5bc25020e1b170d249f1e77.jpeg

I have an old colleague in Japan who has a right hand drive version of this car. It’s almost pristine with less than 40k on it.

We should have a 90s car thread.  BMW 850CSi, Acura NSX, Ferrari 355.  Those are my favorite styles.  I had a sweet Prelude with pop-up headlights my freshman year in high school.  It was sweeeeet.  The Silverado Z71 was bad ass too in hunter green with tan bottom panels.

BMW-E31-8-Series-test-drive-2.jpg

ferrari_f355_gts_4k-HD.jpg

132-1327630_honda-nsx-wallpapers-high-re

• Drool 2

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

Jeeps have plenty of problems but I love them.  Our 2017 Wrangler is awesome, no problems so far, and someday I'm going to buy the 1978 CJ-5 Renegade that my best friend drove in high school, just as soon as his dad decides to let it go.  It's old but a real survivor.

Anyway, I really hate the look of those 90s Nissan 300ZX but I really love THIS car, which my next door neighbor drove:

Feel Nostalgic In A 1980 Datsun 280ZX 10th Anniversary ...

Fred Akers' daughter drove one of these in high school.  (Go Knights!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, Chewbacca said:

I had an ‘81 CJ7 with a 304V8 and can confirm the general shittiness of all the components.  That said, it was great fun in college. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 6:57 AM, Atxracer said:

Same! My wife would get anxiety everytime I tried to teach her. I finally just gave up. Her mom and dad said it was the same way when she was young. I moved on to my daughter.

On 10/18/2023 at 6:48 AM, utee94 said:

I had this one (some of you probably did, too):

Justification for Higher Education, the Erosion of the ...

This used to just be a poster.  Now, I call it "@G650's garage."  

Now you can have this for 1 lawyer salary

Ferrari 308: 60k

Porsche 928: 20k

Mercedes W126:  10k

BMW E30: 10k

except no clue what that white car is... looks like a kitted C4?

I was making a little money out of college(1980s) and to reward myself, bought a used 928 for $13,000.  Newly married, had just got a $1000 per month raise and was on top of the world.  No one told me that the price paid was just the starting point and the monthly repair bills would meet or exceed my new raise.  What a beating.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I was making a little money out of college(1980s) and to reward myself, bought a used 928 for $13,000.  Newly married, had just got a $1000 per month raise and was on top of the world.  No one told me that the price paid was just the starting point and the monthly repair bills would meet or exceed my new raise.  What a beating.  

Back in the day I was running late for work and had to make a stop at the cleaners.  Had a ball hitch on the truck.  Parking lot sloped down and I backed into the hood of some late 80's model Porsche.  Didn't even feel it.  Thought I'd rolled up on the curb slightly (pre backup cameras).

Guy got my info from the cleaners called raising hell (justifiably).  Cost for the slight damage was $1,300.  Cost to replace the entire car with same year/make/model.  Little under twice that.  Just cut the guy a check.  

2 hours ago, Gladeite said:

• Hook 'Em 1

That is the model.  Mine was also a 5 speed, black and had 30,000 miles on the clock.  Similar amount of work was done while I owned it.  That was 40 years ago. I remember $3,000 a/c fix, $3,000 transmission repair and miscellaneous $1000 per month repair items including locks, electric windows, water leaks, etc.  Sold it after a year for about $10,000 and owner financed it for $1000 per month to a local liquor store owner that paid cash every month.  
Trivia:  with cruise control engaged, pushing in the clutch would cause engine to bounce off the rev limiter.  Scared me to death.  Had to turn off cruise control before using clutch.  

23 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Mustangs, Chargers, and Camaros banned from the Houston Cars & Coffee due to burnouts and crashes. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a45766597/mustangs-chargers-and-camaros-banned-from-coffee-and-cars-in-texas/?

Those videos of people crashing as they leave those events are intoxicating.

People are so damned dumb, especially when they get behind the wheel. Just because I have an older 911 that does not automatically make me a driver at the skill level of Hans Stuck. I don't all of a sudden have rapid reflexes like Seb Vettel.

These people leave these events, on cold tires, somehow thinking the laws of physics do not apply to their cars.

People are stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 2:06 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

The Porsche Club fall raffle announcement just came out this past week.

This fall the grand prize is a 2024 Spyder RS. Second prize id a 2024 718 Boxster/Cayman Style Edition.

I bought two tickets, hopefully I will win. Although, I'm not expecting to win.

About 20 years ago I thought I had won an M5 from BMW Club raffle. They posted the first name and city. It was  my name and the city before Austin which

caused me to try to figure out if I joined before after moving. I didn't win :(

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Pros/cons? I’ve been seeing more and more around town and I’m intrigued.

It's almost all pros for me, but it's not my first EV experience (wife had a Tesla and i3 before that), so I was aware of some of the EV issues. I have a charger at home, so I almost never have to worry about charging, and the times when I have (driving to/from DFW, Houston, or SA), it hasn't been a huge deal. I will say some of the "fast chargers" I've used have not been as fast as advertised, but all in all not a huge paint in the ass by any means. 

As far as the vehicle itself, here's what I like the most:

It's stupid fast. No reason a vehicle this size should have 835 HP or go 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, but it does, and it's awesome. Now, I don't use that all the time, but it's nice to be able to floor it and get instant torque at highway speed if needed (and even going uphill - I drive up the hill on 2222 towards Four Points several times a month and if I need to I can gain speed going up that hill effortlessly. 

The space is great for my use case - I have 3 kids (8/5/2), the older 2 are in the 3rd row and the youngest is in a car seat in the 2nd row. That leaves enough space for a friend/family member to jump in easily with us if needed without playing tetris or moving car seats around. and when I've had to take the car seats out and put all the seats down, it really does have a lot space. 

It's fun to drive. In addition to the speed/torque, it drives really well. And it's actually gotten better with OTA updates (which come about 1x a month). One recent update actually adjusted the suspension and made the ride smoother, which is pretty wild when you think about it.

It's also very Tesla-esque with driving, which I like. By that, I mean no start button, get in and go, one pedal driving is the standard/fairly aggressive (I hate EVs that try to make it drive more like an ICE - once you get used to one pedal driving it's a game changer). 

Really the only cons are the following, and none of them are deal breakers:

It doesn't do texting when driving (no CarPlay or Android Auto, and no native text features. Supposedly coming soon, but who knows when that will happen). It also doesn't have satellite radio, which I was used to having in previous cars. And there are a few things that Tesla had implemented that I miss (green light chime at a stop light, ability to pull up blind spot camera on turn signal). And the built in Nav has some issues with not updating real time traffic and routing not being the best at times. But all of that can theoretically be fixed with future OTA updates, and none of them are deal breakers as I said. 

Edited by hornian
  • Hook 'Em 1