The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 12/15/2023 at 4:54 PM, hornbri said:

I picked mine up Wednesday, it is getting PPF and tint now but am excited to start driving it next week. 

Welcome to the club. How has the first week been? 

I’m ~7,500 miles in since the end of June and still love driving mine every day. 

Edited by hornian

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Welcome to the club. How has the first week been? 

I’m ~7,500 miles in since the end of June and still love driving mine every day. 

Loving it, I can’t decide if I like it more as a SUV or a really cool Tech Toy. It really is fun to drive. 

One of the projects I have this week is to install the wall charger.

The Stealth PPF came out great too. 

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, hornbri said:

Loving it, I can’t decide if I like it more as a SUV or a really cool Tech Toy. It really is fun to drive. 

One of the projects I have this week is to install the wall charger.

The Stealth PPF came out great too. 

image.jpeg

Nice. I have the same color (no PPF) and the 20”AT tires. 

I need to get some running boards, which was going to be my Christmas present. But I’m spending all my running board $$ on then Sugar Bowl/NC if we make it.  

41 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Here she is

IMG_2832.jpeg

Looks good. You don't have to tell us the price, but were the dealers trying to hit you with a lot of "market adjustment" BS? I know GM is trying to void warranties to combat flipping right now. Looking at the recent BAT sales, it seems to be working. Lots of no sales as of late.

https://bringatrailer.com/gmc/hummer-ev/

On 12/29/2023 at 8:26 AM, Da Fino said:

The ultimate sleeper. 

I knew a guy in college who drove an old hearse that he outfitted as a sex room on wheels. 
It was a pretty ratty looking thing, and somebody on campus (St. Edward’s U.) slipped a burning newspaper in a partially open window so it burned up in the dorm parking lot.

AFD was kinda amused, but the school admins were not. The owner had to pay for the burned hulk to be towed. 
The arsonist was never caught.

33 minutes ago, topochico said:

Looks good. You don't have to tell us the price, but were the dealers trying to hit you with a lot of "market adjustment" BS? I know GM is trying to void warranties to combat flipping right now. Looking at the recent BAT sales, it seems to be working. Lots of no sales as of late.

https://bringatrailer.com/gmc/hummer-ev/

There’s enough now coming off the line that dealers are largely at sticker. Got this one for such. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2024 at 7:11 PM, Armybrat said:

I knew a guy in college who drove an old hearse that he outfitted as a sex room on wheels. 
It was a pretty ratty looking thing, and somebody on campus (St. Edward’s U.) slipped a burning newspaper in a partially open window so it burned up in the dorm parking lot.

AFD was kinda amused, but the school admins were not. The owner had to pay for the burned hulk to be towed. 
The arsonist was never caught.

Did you use the sports section, or the editorial page? Hopefully you first clipped the coupons.

• 2 weeks later...

What the fuck happened to Honda automobiles? I purchased a 2024 CRV Hybrid Sport. The thing has 1,100 miles on it and I'm awaiting the arrival of the tow truck to take it to the dealer. The thing started knocking yesterday. There is a lawsuit about the previous generation of CRVs with the 1.5L for oil dilution. They released a software flash, but some of them are shitting out with as little as 50-70k miles. Honda just released a massive 250k vehicle recall on Ridgelines, Pilots, etc for faulty engine bearings. Mine began knocking with 1,100 measly miles. I should've went with the Rav4, fuck me right?

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2022/honda-oil-dilution-problems-class-action-lawsuit.shtml#:~:text=November 24%2C 2022 — Honda oil dilution problems,Accord vehicles allegedly stall and suffer engine failures.

https://mycarvoice.com/news/honda-oil-dilution-lawsuit/

Edited by Chad

13 minutes ago, Chad said:

What the fuck happened to Honda automobiles? I purchased a 2024 CRV Hybrid Sport. The thing has 1,100 miles on it and I'm awaiting the arrival of the tow truck to take it to the dealer. The thing started knocking yesterday. There is a lawsuit about the previous generation of CRVs with the 1.5L for oil dilution. They released a software flash, but some of them are shitting out with as little as 50-70k miles. Honda just released a massive 250k vehicle recall on Ridgelines, Pilots, etc for faulty engine bearings. Mine began knocking with 1,100 measly miles. I should've went with the Rav4, fuck me right?

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2022/honda-oil-dilution-problems-class-action-lawsuit.shtml#:~:text=November 24%2C 2022 — Honda oil dilution problems,Accord vehicles allegedly stall and suffer engine failures.

https://mycarvoice.com/news/honda-oil-dilution-lawsuit/

I bought low mileage off lease CRVs for my teens when they turned 16.   My son got an '09 and my daughter got a '16.   I helped each one change out the stereo to a Carplay unit with navigation and upgrade the speakers etc.  Taught them how to change the oil, windshield wipers, air filters, and brake pads (so they knew their way around the car a little bit)  I can tell you the quality fall off from my son's 09 to the '16 is amazing.  Just one example, the tabs that hold the door panels to the doors changed from 5 metal tabs with metal screws to 3 glued in plastic ones.  The clips that hold interior panels have fewer clips or connection points.   I get that you can simplify manufacturing and make improvements to something that's over built, but everything about his 09 feels much better built.

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Wife has a 2017 CRV with 110k miles and the only issue we've had is a plastic piece that's part of the air intake developed a tear. 

Good to hear, my daughter's just passed the 60k mark...  fingers crossed.

Sounds like I had terrible luck with my shit sandwich. The 2.4L engine was damn near bullet proof, mine is a 2.0L hybrid and not the 1.5L turbo engine that has had numerous problems with the oil dilution issue. I guess I'll find out if it's the engine or the ECVT once they get a chance to check it out.

That may explain why my new 2024 Accord is getting 2 years of maintenance for free...

Yep. After 21 years of driving WRXs, I've moved to a Boring-Ass Accord hybrid. The Touring edition, with ALLLLLL the gizmos and gadgets, because I discovered that I could get that and still pay less than everything else I was looking at. Only thing I wanted that it didn't have was a plug-in option, but anything I plugged in was at least $10k more for anything decent.

Pretty happy with it so far. Now that I work from home the whole time, my driving patterns changed, and the WRX was a terrible fit. Also... 11 years old and 103k miles, it was due for something really expensive to break.

Our Macan S lease is up in 3 months I have no idea what’s next. We won’t buy it, we may get the same car newer version. It’s a ridiculously great touring vehicle. I can get to rockport for fishing in no time flat. It yawns at 95 mph doing 2100 RPM in 7th gear. Handles like a champ. Has CarPlay but the electronics are German.  

my X is paid for and I’m in the cars and tuition window now with two teens. Ugh. So I’m not thrilled about having to reup.

Everything from downsize to one daily driver (I work from home but still unlikely) to downsize to a less expensive car - wife says the Volvo or Subaru route is fine but she’s not driving the lezzie car, to give up my truck and her macan and get a newer truck, to a Benz or Audi or fuck I don’t know are on the table.  Probably not another Tesla. 

the sports cars are out we need it for road trips. So it’s looking like the macan or maybe the Mercedes GLE. GLS may be too tight for my comfort for our garage. Or go the Subaru or Volvo route. Fuck I dunno.

last time I was uninspired but twice got us looking at the macan it was a great choice.  

Who’s totally thrilled with what they have right now in the ICE / hybrid categories?

16 minutes ago, troph said:

Our Macan S lease is up in 3 months I have no idea what’s next. We won’t buy it, we may get the same car newer version. It’s a ridiculously great touring vehicle. I can get to rockport for fishing in no time flat. It yawns at 95 mph doing 2100 RPM in 7th gear. Handles like a champ. Has CarPlay but the electronics are German.  

my X is paid for and I’m in the cars and tuition window now with two teens. Ugh. So I’m not thrilled about having to reup.

Everything from downsize to one daily driver (I work from home but still unlikely) to downsize to a less expensive car - wife says the Volvo or Subaru route is fine but she’s not driving the lezzie car, to give up my truck and her macan and get a newer truck, to a Benz or Audi or fuck I don’t know are on the table.  Probably not another Tesla. 

the sports cars are out we need it for road trips. So it’s looking like the macan or maybe the Mercedes GLE. GLS may be too tight for my comfort for our garage. Or go the Subaru or Volvo route. Fuck I dunno.

last time I was uninspired but twice got us looking at the macan it was a great choice.  

Who’s totally thrilled with what they have right now in the ICE / hybrid categories?

I mean... I'm pretty fuckin stoked about the Accord Hybrid, but then, I spent 21 years with the lezzie/nerd Subaru so... I'm weird.

• Haha 1

"Oh wow i can drive this all the way to Merced and back and I'm not deaf from road noise and broken from the stiff suspension"

to say nothing of having to deal with driving through los angeles traffic with a stick

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I mean... I'm pretty fuckin stoked about the Accord Hybrid, but then, I spent 21 years with the lezzie/nerd Subaru so... I'm weird.

My ex is in an accord hybrid. So probably not that particular one - but honestly with two teenager cars and two college bills I’m struggling with the spend a lot on a car idea right now. I’m 50/50.  

The problem with an Outback is it kinda takes the place of a truck except significant towing, which we need. But it would  probably make the truck superfluous in all other ways. I am intrigued with finding the trail heads off dirt roads in the mountains with a car and not a truck. But that may be attraction to sheer novelty that would wear off.  

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, troph said:

My ex is in an accord hybrid. So probably not that particular one - but honestly with two teenager cars and two college bills I’m struggling with the spend a lot on a car idea right now. I’m 50/50.  

The problem with an Outback is it kinda takes the place of a truck except significant towing, which we need. But it would  probably make the truck superfluous in all other ways. I am intrigued with finding the trail heads off dirt roads in the mountains with a car and not a truck. But that may be attraction to sheer novelty that would wear off.  

Is that the new one? Accord is new as of 2023 models.

I'm kinda methodical. I do research. I had a spreadsheet. With multiple tabs.

So in that vein, what do you need from your vehicle? So far you got

1. Towing (how many pounds?)

2. Dirt road/off-pavement driving

3. Good road trip ability, which I take to mean

3a. Not loud

3b. Good range (for now, leaves out pure EVs, heavily favors hybrids)

3c. Safety/entertainment options?

If you're actually looking to make the truck superfluous, an Outback probably won't cut it. While it's not the modified Impreza it used to be, I still think of it as being wanna-be off-road rather than ACTUAL off-road.

• Hook 'Em 1

but i may be totally off in that

i was very happy with my car for 11 years and didn't think much about other cars until suddenly I needed one, and ignored everything that didn't fit into my little bucket

my point is, however, that this is a pretty effective way to find a car that'll make you happy for a long time

Edited by Rimbo

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Is that the new one? Accord is new as of 2023 models.

I'm kinda methodical. I do research. I had a spreadsheet. With multiple tabs.

So in that vein, what do you need from your vehicle? So far you got

1. Towing (how many pounds?)

2. Dirt road/off-pavement driving

3. Good road trip ability, which I take to mean

3a. Not loud

3b. Good range (for now, leaves out pure EVs, heavily favors hybrids)

3c. Safety/entertainment options?

If you're actually looking to make the truck superfluous, an Outback probably won't cut it. While it's not the modified Impreza it used to be, I still think of it as being wanna-be off-road rather than ACTUAL off-road.

I’ve never done the spreadsheet thing. I just wing it on a test drive and emotion. Pretty much not kidding.

We have a tow vehicle - 13,000 lbs. it’s what I drive when we go fishing or camping. It’s bordering on a classic truck now.  Probably shouldn’t get an off road wanna be. I think I just eliminated the Outback. 

• Hook 'Em 1

sex appeal 

good range - will road trip with it

driving experience 

space - for people and things 

quiet 

sound

*for the most part I assume safety and tech will be ok - CarPlay, adaptive cruise, blind spot etc. these features are a must.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ve never done the spreadsheet thing. I just wing it on a test drive and emotion. Pretty much not kidding.

We have a tow vehicle - 13,000 lbs. it’s what I drive when we go fishing or camping. It’s bordering on a classic truck now.  Probably shouldn’t get an off road wanna be. I think I just eliminated the Outback. 

I had the spreadsheet made out already because I was using it to estimate how much my annual repair/maintenance/fuel costs were on the WRX and compare that to a monthly payment on a new car.

THEN, I ended up using it because I had expected the WRX to stick around a few more years, and was blindsided by this year's estimates. (tldr, a lot of things were due to be fixed, and were things like tires, brakes, steering, clutch that you really need working) So I set up a table of different cars, things I cared about, vs what they offered.

Also, what I wanted and needed changed, so I found myself in a new space that way, unfamiliar with most of the options. The table gave me a way to list out ideas and then go see if, at least on paper, they fit what I wanted. Hyundai Tucson, for example, made the list, but I never even bothered to fill out its feature matrix; Polestar 2 got its matrix filled out, but I never bothered driving one (price was high and didn't like any of the colors it came in). Ioniq 5 likely would've gotten a test drive before I saw that the dealer was adding a "market adjustment" the exact same value as the government rebate -- if you steal the money the government intended for me, go fuck yourself.

THEN I did test drives, because you don't buy anything you've never driven before. Which really came down to the

I'm usually more like you in my habits, but that's because I also usually have my head in the space already and kinda know what is out there and what I might want... and because for most of my driving past, what I wanted was "as much speed and handling as possible on my budget." Then I just go drive em.

and now i really can blather on and on and on and on about it. Haven't even started blathering about the actual car yet, and boy is there a lot to say... let's talk about all these nifty whiz bang driver assistance features for example...

2 minutes ago, troph said:

sex appeal

that would also disqualify Subaru

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

sex appeal 

good range - will road trip with it

driving experience 

space - for people and things 

quiet 

sound

...but mostly I'd check out Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus hybrid SUVs as a starting point.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

that would also disqualify Subaru

Yes and no. If I was younger and available I’d be quite interested in the woman driving one, assuming she’s wearing flannel and tight jeans with that I didn’t try very hard today but I still look smoking hot and yes I like the ladies vibe going on.  but I’m pushing 50 and taken so that ain’t happening. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rimbo said:

oh, shit, that reminds me... @RGBIII? The ol' WRX got traded in with the Texas One Fund badge attached to it. Where do I throw money at to get one for the new vehicle? This is important.

Try starting a new subscription with a different name

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

...but mostly I'd check out Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus hybrid SUVs as a starting point.

The girlfriend has a non-hybrid Acura MDX and it's pretty sweet. I drove it home from Houston after the CFP final (She's a Michigan grad) and it took constant vigilance to keep it below 90. Drives really nice, plenty of power, and it's quiet and smooth. I say that as a guy that has a leveled Tundra with oversized tires for a daily, so YMMV.