The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

9 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Don’t believe the Mach E qualifies for the 7500 tax credit as of Jan 1. 

Well that sucks.  Looks like Chinese batteries put it out.  Is there any vehicle in the US that qualifies for the full $7500?  Still like the Mach E though.

31 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Well that sucks.  Looks like Chinese batteries put it out.  Is there any vehicle in the US that qualifies for the full $7500?  Still like the Mach E though.

there's a company based in the US manufacturing in the US and using qualifying US-sourced batteries that are eligible for the full $7500

you're never gonna guess what it is.

37 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Get her a Model Y Performance and be done with it.  

15 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Anybody have first hand experience with the Ford Mach E (electric Mustang crossover)?  Thinking about this for my wife’s next vehicle now that the kids are gone.  She just drives around suburban Houston and almost never more than 20-30 miles a day.  I’m looking for the utility of a straight electric.  Don’t like Elon and all his shenanigans, so am not seriously looking at Tesla.  Like the idea of the federal rebate.  Pros/cons?  Seems like an electric fits our mission.  

I don't blame you. Tesla's are ugly as shit and the Cybertruck is the ugliest vehicle ever. Even uglier than the BMW XM.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kia EV9 looks really nice.  But, you're not going to get any tax credit and they are about $10k too expensive in my opinion.  And until Tesla opens up their chargers to Kia, you won't be able to reliably charge them on road trips.

12 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Rivian does, but you have to do a lease first. You do the lease, which gets the $7,500 credit applied to the purchase price (it's available for fleet sales regardless of income or anything else is my understanding), then buy out the lease. I beleive you can do it without any penalty. 

But they are about 50% more expensive than the MachE or Model Y. 

18 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Kia EV9 looks really nice.  But, you're not going to get any tax credit and they are about $10k too expensive in my opinion.  And until Tesla opens up their chargers to Kia, you won't be able to reliably charge them on road trips.

• Kia EV owners will have access to 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across North America
  • North American Charging Standard (NACS) planned to commence production within U.S.-assembled Kia EVs starting in Q4 2024
  • Existing Niro EV and EV6 owners and future EV9 owners will have access to Tesla Superchargers via forthcoming NACS adapter and software updates with activation and payment via Kia Connect

https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/21261/kia-to-adopt-north-american-charging-standard-in-the-fourth-quarter-of-2024

On 1/31/2024 at 2:19 PM, hornian said:

They are on the lot now most places. 

Just dropped last month in Houston.

Still overpriced but easier to swallow than the $115k driveout that Rivian was going to hit me for.  I couldnt pull the trigger and now I might look at the EV9.

On 1/16/2024 at 12:07 PM, troph said:

would get drunk on the weekends with her......would run out to talk about bitcoin and how I had to get in on it. he has one and it was worth $60,000. mkay. dude bragged about never spending money and he played the electric guitar by himself and only liked hard rock music and shat on anyone that liked anything else - especially Texas country. just a total dork.

Did you just dox me?

• Haha 1

Still overpriced but easier to swallow than the $115k driveout that Rivian was going to hit me for.  I couldnt pull the trigger and now I might look at the EV9.

That and who the hell knows how long Rivian will actually be around.

23 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
7 hours ago, huge said:

That and who the hell knows how long Rivian will actually be around.

That was probably lower on my giveashit-meter than it should have been.

Doing a launch in the quad motor blinded me.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:53 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Got the notification today my C8 has been built and ready to ship.  It’s happening. 

Nice.  Driving back from Austin Sunday and got caught in the rain storm.  Guy in a convertible C8 stopped under a bridge on the tollway near Mockingbird, engaged the retractable roof, stopped in a turn lane, then came roaring back past me and everyone else.  Gave me a case of the happy pants....

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Nice.  Driving back from Austin Sunday and got caught in the rain storm.  Guy in a convertible C8 stopped under a bridge on the tollway near Mockingbird, engaged the retractable roof, stopped in a turn lane, then came roaring back past me and everyone else.  Gave me a case of the happy pants....

They are sweet rides for us poor folks.  I had intended on getting a Porsche. But I wanted brand new and at my price range 

495 HP > 360HP. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

They are sweet rides for us poor folks.  I had intended on getting a Porsche. But I wanted brand new and at my price range 

495 HP > 360HP. 

Is there a better whip for the money?  I can't think of one relative to what you pay and what you get.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't liked 'vettes since the 1963.5 split window.  The C8 changed that for me.  Damn fine car.  I'd like to get one in a couple of years, but my wife says I can't wear a gold necklace, so tradeoffs.

I thought gold necklace was a requirement for vette owners?  You’re half way there! 

36 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I thought gold necklace was a requirement for vette owners?  You’re half way there! 

This is the standoff.  I don't currently own a gold necklace, but if I buy a 'vette, it seems like I must, but she says no.  I could buy, say, a Supra, and then I don't need the necklace, but every C8 in town would dust me.  There must be a solution.

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is the standoff.  I don't currently own a gold necklace, but if I buy a 'vette, it seems like I must, but she says no.  I could buy, say, a Supra, and then I don't need the necklace, but every C8 in town would dust me.  There must be a solution.

Aftermarket downpipes and a tune on that Supra and you'd mostly hold your own. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Get an E63s or RS6.  Nobody on the street knows how to launch a car.  I've embarrassed a couple Hellcats off the line in my S6.  I love the sound of wheelspin.  Just don't race them on the highway.  Result will be different.

• Hook 'Em 2

To be honest, I'm not really too fond of the German makes, other than Porsche.  I lust after Italian supercars like the 488, but that will never be in the cards.  Hence, the C8 is the poor man's version.  They really knocked it out of the park in my mind, even if it does still have a little of that Joe Dirt vibe (which ain't me).

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

To be honest, I'm not really too fond of the German makes, other than Porsche.  I lust after Italian supercars like the 488, but that will never be in the cards.  Hence, the C8 is the poor man's version.  They really knocked it out of the park in my mind, even if it does still have a little of that Joe Dirt vibe (which ain't me).

To each his own.  Every time I think I want to replace my S6, the only things I would replace it with cost $150k, so I keep it for now.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

F430 has been my dream car since, well, 2005.  Before Covid they were trending down to higher spec C8 territory.  Now that’s all gone and they’ve been on the rise for last 18 months or so.   Maybe someday. 488 and up, shit. Maybe if my OF takes off, lol.  I stay in coral gables once a month or so, right across from their Ferrari, Maserati, Mclaren dealer. They have a Senna in there that is unreal.   So many 20 somethings over there in super cars, makes you wonder where great gramps went wrong.  

A few years back when my son was in HS at McCallum, he texted me a photo of the car line to pick up after school sports kids.  One of the cars was a McLaren Senna.  It kinda stood out from the Pilots, the Camrys and even the Teslas.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

To each his own.  Every time I think I want to replace my S6, the only things I would replace it with cost $150k, so I keep it for now.  

RSQ8 is my replacement for the S6, I'm planning to move to a climate better suited for something slightly more SUV-like.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Exactly. Keep on keeping on, worker bee. The world needs ditch diggers, too.

Lulz. Guess someone on the business board was able to help you figure out how to value your share, and it’s better than you thought. Typically where the most business savvy go to get their answers about divestment, a college football board.  Please continue to flex your $60k Audi though, boss man. And not one but 2 Toyota’s?  I couldn’t be more impressed with your wealth.  

5 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

RSQ8 is my replacement for the S6, I'm planning to move to a climate better suited for something slightly more SUV-like.

The RSQ8 is my favorite SUV, basically a Lambo Urus with different styling for $100k less. And I think it looks better. Wish I coulda afford one. Must be nice to be rich.

A question, why do people still want to compare German HP to American HP? The Germans use a different system and measure differently. A 500 hp BMW M4 will smoke a 800 hp Dodge Hellcat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't liked 'vettes since the 1963.5 split window.  The C8 changed that for me.  Damn fine car.  I'd like to get one in a couple of years, but my wife says I can't wear a gold necklace, so tradeoffs.

Caddy Blackwing.  Basically the same engine, 4-doors, a trunk, and it comes with a stick shift.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

The RSQ8 is my favorite SUV, basically a Lambo Urus with different styling for $100k less. And I think it looks better. Wish I coulda afford one. Must be nice to be rich.

A question, why do people still want to compare German HP to American HP? The Germans use a different system and measure differently. A 500 hp BMW M4 will smoke a 800 hp Dodge Hellcat.

This.  And as a point of mention, BMW flat out LIES about their HP in their M cars for insurance purposes.  Beyond that, M cars are so much more than their HP numbers.  Same with Porsche.  It's all the engineering that puts all four wheels at optimum output for what you need.  If you are launching the car.  Or a track day.  Etc..

Those stupid Hellcat drivers who can't manage a RWD car and just sit there and smoke vs an AWD German sports car/sedan with launch control isn't even fair.  Buddy just got the new M3CS.  That car is stupid fast.  Another friend had a GTR tuned to 700hp and clocked a 2.2 on the draggy and he used to F with those Mustang/Hellcat/Charger dorks all the time.  He let me take it out on the track a few times.  Jesus.....GTRs just drive angry, especially when you downshift with the paddles.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

A few years back when my son was in HS at McCallum, he texted me a photo of the car line to pick up after school sports kids.  One of the cars was a McLaren Senna.  It kinda stood out from the Pilots, the Camrys and even the Teslas.

McCallum grad here.  Do they still have their weird zoning where they carve out of portion of the Terrytown kids?  I went to school with one of the Kosmetsky kids....as in the formerly known Texas Kosmetsky school of business.  I think he went through three new cars in the four years I knew him?  Wrapped one around a light pole, not sure about the others.  Lots of cheddar for some of those families.....

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

They did good for sure.  Car has shipped. Should be in Orange County next week for pick up 

IMG_6658.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Caddy Blackwing.  Basically the same engine, 4-doors, a trunk, and it comes with a stick shift.  

Sexy AF. I was allowed to test drive one.  Almost bought it.  Almost. But I chose the C8

Like Jay Leno said. It’s an aspirational Car.  Most people dream of Ferraris and Lamborghinis. But those are dreams. A corvette is attainable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No thanks on the Blackwing.  For starters, it's almost $30K more than the C8 (comparing base models).  I'm not a fan of the looks, either, although I do admit modern Cadillacs have come a long way in that department over the last two decades.  The original CTS was just flat out ugly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I owned a first-gen CTS-V for a couple years and found it sexy at the time, with its slab-sided creases, subtly flared fender arches, and straight-edged sheetmetal.  At that time, automakers were just starting to depart from the "bubble car" styling and only the much more expensive Germans competed.  It was also fun that the CTS-V was only available in the ZF 6-speed manual.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

I owned a first-gen CTS-V for a couple years and found it sexy at the time, with its slab-sided creases, subtly flared fender arches, and straight-edged sheetmetal.  At that time, automakers were just starting to depart from the "bubble car" styling and only the much more expensive Germans competed.  It was also fun that the CTS-V was only available in the ZF 6-speed manual.

First one I drove was a 2005.  Teeth chattering. Fun cars 

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I actually really liked the C3s.

And I bet you could rent a gold chain, just long enough to buy the C8, and then return it.  Wife never has to know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2