The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 3/13/2023 at 1:45 PM, nolongerU2horn said:

rapt.jpg

Somewhere out there there's a 28 year old high school educated oil patch bro that's about to take on $3,600 a month for 84 months to park that thing next to his $1,500/mo bay boat in front of his rent house in Victoria/Corpus/Beaumont. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Somewhere out there there's a 28 year old high school educated oil patch bro that's about to take on $3,600 a month for 84 months to park that thing next to his $1,500/mo bay boat in front of his rent house in Victoria/Corpus/Beaumont. 

Don’t forget, that’s $1500 at 184 months. A 215k Simmons don’t come cheap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The mailing came out from the Porsche Club of America for the Spring/Summer member's raffle.

This raffle is giving away a 2023 Cayman GT4 RS and a 2023 Cayman GTS, or, Boxster GTS.

I always buy two tickets, as of yet I have not won.

Im not a mathemagician but you cant win 3 cars if you buy only 2 tickets

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Im not a mathemagician but you cant win 3 cars if you buy only 2 tickets

Ha ha. They start with two cars, and then as they reach a threshold of tickets sold they add another car, and then another. They have given away, as long as I have been in the club, as many as five cars. I’ve never seen anything in writing that says you can’t win more than one. That’d be an interesting thing for sure.

I’d be extremely happy to just win one.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:45 PM, nolongerU2horn said:

rapt.jpg

I love the free market and don’t mind dealers pricing at whatever the market will bear, but that’s too much for a truck with pretty abhorrent rear main seal leak issues.  
Also, sign me up for the GMC with an LT4/LT5 set up more for Texas ranch duty than Baja. 

Apparently people hate their experiences at dealerships so much that they don't want to deal with the hassle of returning every 2-3 years for a lease schedule, which snarls the used car market.  Since January 2020, around the time dealerships started playing shell games with dwindling inventory, lease originations have dropped 40% and aren't coming back. 

Of course, their buying power has dramatically decreased over that same short period, with rising vehicle prices and finance rates, which might never be reversed.

https://jalopnik.com/people-aren-t-leasing-cars-and-it-s-killing-the-used-m-1850018655

I just talked to a guy who runs a dealership here on Phoenix who said leasing is just starting to come back a bit.

I think it’s a function of the cost of lease money. For whatever reason, it’s been expensive while interest rates were down for a long time.

Now with rates back up, leasing starting to work again.

So I’m in that boat now… I leased for quite a while because the residuals were down and then they were up and I started making a little scratch on the side when I sold them back.

Then the market went wonky and I got a 0%apr deal I couldn’t pass up.

Fast forward to this past couple of weeks and my Wide body Scat pack got stolen and now I’m looking at rates that suck for cars that are now $1-3k more.

So I’m figuring I’m probably just gonna lease again because fuck a 6-7.5% apr

• Rage+1 1

So my oldest is a nervous driver and he doesn't like driving the 2002 Landcruiser I bought for him and his brother because it's too big.  So the younger one will take the Landcruiser as his.  Need a car for the older one.   Criteria are:

• Full time AWD (no part time 4WD systems that have to be turned on/off)
  • Smaller than a Landcruiser.  Ideally something that is small to mid-sized, I think.
  • Reliable as I don't want to put a lot of money into it
  • SUV or a wagon
  • Price point is $10-12k since that's what I spent on the LC

Thinking about something like a Mazda CX-5, Subaru Outback.  Any other suggestions?

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, blacklab said:
You can get a pretty nice 2000's 4runner for $10k
If that's too big the Rav4 isn't bad.

4R is part time 4wd. Will look into Rav4.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, blacklab said:
You can get a pretty nice 2000's 4runner for $10k
If that's too big the Rav4 isn't bad.

4R is part time 4wd. Will look into Rav4.

The Limited model 4R are full time AWD. May push against your budget though. 

So the gf is buying a model Y. I didn’t really have any experience with Teslas until we test drove this weekend. I get all the Elron wacko theater stuff from the other thread, but just regarding this car I came away extremely impressed.

We also drove an Audi etron. I’ve always considered Audi a pretty modern design car, but the Tesla just felt light years ahead of them.

I’m not saying they should be worth more than all the other car makers combined or whatever the fuck that was. But they’ve definitely shifted the paradigm. Yea, I know, in other news water is wet.

Just one guy’s $.02.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

So the gf is buying a model Y. I didn’t really have any experience with Teslas until we test drove this weekend. I get all the Elron wacko theater stuff from the other thread, but just regarding this car I came away extremely impressed.

We also drove an Audi etron. I’ve always considered Audi a pretty modern design car, but the Tesla just felt light years ahead of them.

I’m not saying they should be worth more than all the other car makers combined or whatever the fuck that was. But they’ve definitely shifted the paradigm. Yea, I know, in other news water is wet.

Just one guy’s $.02.

Enjoy riding around in the MAGA hat of cars. 

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I see you're NOT a dash molestor.  Battery management and infotainment, yes, the Tesla is still years ahead of VAG, but that gap may be slowly closing.  Vehicle fit/finish, materials, and lack of simulated whoopie cushion noises, the Audi wins.  

I like my new car to feel like a solid, modern vehicle, not an experiment by Fischer-Price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

see, its like the borg.  everyone will eventually assimilate.

Enjoy riding around in the MAGA hat of cars. 

I thought my truck with the big V8 was the maga hat of cars, no?

It was until Grimes broke Elon. Tesla was able to claim the crown when we went off the deep end.

Had a buddy and his wife always give me shit about driving my 6.4L V8 challengers with the standard set of jokes/ribbing/etc while they both drove Teslas with their home solar panels from Tesla. When Elon did his heel turn, I made sure they were the first to hear from me. “I always thought y’all were anti-vaxers! And that y’all were closet MAGA!”

lol, ah how the turntables
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2023 at 9:48 AM, Planet Houston said:

Ugh. I had a year-old new Bronco that just got totaled when an asshole with no license and no insurance blew through a red light and broadsided me on the passenger side (thank god). I am very lucky to have walked away fine, and even luckier my wife and kids (8-yo twins) weren’t in the car. I also would have flipped but for rolling into an F-150 waiting to take a left going the opposite direction on my street. Oh and this happened all of 5 blocks from my house. 

So with all that being said, I think I’m in the market for a safe, luxury SUV. Not sure I need a full-size model as long as I have a tow hitch - we have a great trailer-mounted tray and bag that solved long trips with the smaller cargo space of my Bronco - so I’m looking at mid to large luxury SUVs that are above all safe. Performance is important-ish, I certainly don’t want to be driving a 4 cylinder, but I’m also not looking to break the bank to upgrade to souped up models of the below ideas I have. 

What say you, Shaggy? What I’m currently contemplating is Tahoe/Yukon, Escalade, X5/X7, GLE/GLS, GV80, XC90, Range Rover Sport, Expedition, Navigator. I left off several I know, and that list is a bit all over the place, but curious what y’all think. 

On 2/9/2023 at 10:34 PM, Planet Houston said:

X7 is mental leader of the pack. GV80 is out, although it is very nice on the interior and is a good looking SUV. Just doesn’t quite have it - several little things bugged me with the test drive. And if I’m going to spend that much, I don’t know that a souped up Hyundai makes a lot of sense. 

6D3E7B8E-D6B4-4C80-9A99-DE0C3B5CB679.thumb.jpeg.ab0267b23b743fe31d549d6b62ad3fd5.jpeg

F7CC9616-99DA-40FF-8B53-6E97C34663DA.gif.fae586f1fa6be1971b4bdb7384a65df9.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

Nice choice. A bit irked that BMW uses *30i label for their 2.0 liter motor and *40i for their 3.0 liter motor when they very well have a 4+ liter v8 in the stable (which they call *50i)….

On 4/18/2023 at 3:00 AM, tbone_ said:

Yea what can I say. I liked it.

Kind of thinking about getting the cheapest model 3 so I don’t have to drive the gas hog truck all the time. But damn if that gas hog isn’t awesome on road trips.

they just dropped the prices across the range today. if you get the next trim up, you get AWD, more range and better acceleration, and the full federal tax incentive (vs half because base trim battery is foreign made)

2 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Dravit?  If so - best color on that car. Love mine. 

Dravit is such a great color. I did it on my X5M on a whim just because I've always driven black cars and was wanting to change things up. I absolutely love how it different it looks depending on the light.

they just dropped the prices across the range today. if you get the next trim up, you get AWD, more range and better acceleration, and the full federal tax incentive (vs half because base trim battery is foreign made)

Thanks for the heads up. GF ordered her Y a few days ago and they were righteous enough to drop her price to match without her having to ask, or cancel and reorder.

9 hours ago, royiv said:

Dravit is such a great color. I did it on my X5M on a whim just because I've always driven black cars and was wanting to change things up. I absolutely love how it different it looks depending on the light.

No kidding. It’s gray. No it’s green. No it’s gold green. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Nice choice. A bit irked that BMW uses *30i label for their 2.0 liter motor and *40i for their 3.0 liter motor when they very well have a 4+ liter v8 in the stable (which they call *50i)….

Wait 'till you learn the new M60i models use the S63 V8 and aren't fitted with the V12.

Speaking of which, the 2024 X5 M60i has entered the fold of something I might entertain, as it's easier configured and cheaper than a similarly-equipped Audi SQ8 and that's the same V8 from the M5, turbos and all.

image.thumb.png.8120b4ce797995e9f33d43f5ccaff0d4.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:45 AM, Planet Houston said:

6D3E7B8E-D6B4-4C80-9A99-DE0C3B5CB679.thumb.jpeg.ab0267b23b743fe31d549d6b62ad3fd5.jpeg

F7CC9616-99DA-40FF-8B53-6E97C34663DA.gif.fae586f1fa6be1971b4bdb7384a65df9.gif

Picked it up yesterday. Pretty amazing vehicle. I hated giving it up to my detailer immediately but should have it back by Fri. Loved the color in person, gonna really love it once I get it back. 

6BA788CB-4851-4912-9749-9DB543D5F329.thumb.jpeg.58d8c6af5cec56062a81e87de4da533b.jpeg37BEF35B-BCEF-4BB1-BC84-E1A9BD2F21CF.thumb.jpeg.a2413e4acd762cece193a8b228e1d134.jpeg1C4CA1EF-90A1-4BA5-A75D-D7006452649B.thumb.jpeg.ba135f6320199131b924f9c9ad07ebd6.jpegF8634430-F91A-4CCC-9452-C49D6872FF9F.thumb.jpeg.08761893de1542be2d3a75b49c4bc049.jpeg

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

On 4/19/2023 at 1:11 PM, tbone_ said:

Thanks for the heads up. GF ordered her Y a few days ago and they were righteous enough to drop her price to match without her having to ask, or cancel and reorder.

Yeah I have a strange reaction to this price drop; I don’t give a shit.  I bought the Y in 11/22 after a year wait list. I drive a lot for business and gave the price drop a shrug. I love the fucker. It’s just comforting to drive, with the added benefit of ridiculously strong torque whenever needed.

It’s odd since I’m an avid gas guzzler owner. But I have no allegiance to it like I do my combustion cars; it’s a disposable thing that serves a current purpose.

tl;dr don’t buy it as an asset

On 2/5/2023 at 10:37 PM, Sam Lin said:

For Mercedes, I've been eyeing some infotainment flash options from RJ Automotive. They can unlock a lot of factory options if you didn't buy them, they can also set some user preferences to default to settings you prefer on startup (example, set to Individual drive mode instead of it always defaulting to Comfort). I'm not a customer yet, but am planning to do the multibeam headlight and the Distronic radar cruise control on my GLS.

https://rjautomotive.net/

Just following up on this, went ahead and did the coding with RJ. Added the auto multibeam high-beam lights and the Distronic radar cruise. General note, the biggest pain was that they are in the UK so the time slots for coding are not convenient for US times. I wound up doing it with them at 2am, which worked out ok for me as I was awake from jet lag anyways. I think you can book roughly their 5pm to be your 7-8am? Wouldn't be awful then.

The multibeam auto high beams are super cool. This car already had the best headlights I've experienced, and I was already impressed with how fluid and seamless the light movement into corners was as you turn the wheel. The high beams are just as seamless, they turn on automatically, you don't really know when they turn on and off (other than the indicator in corner of gauge cluster), but you never get flashed by any traffic. The only complaint is they aren't sensitive enough to road signs up high and sometimes they stay on and glare off the sign quite badly, but that sensor may be confused by my window banner tint (I am not sure where the sensor is.)

For the Distronic, my GLS required swapping the button assembly on the steering wheel. Easy, clear instructions and YT video were provided, parts arrived from UK same week. I marred up the access hole on the back of the steering wheel when inserting a tool to remove the airbag, but it's something only I'll ever see and know about.

The actual coding was super easy. They mail you a programming dongle, you provide a laptop with Anydesk (and obviously need to have some data security comfort in letting some random stranger take over your PC for a while and do shit that is invisible to you). Laptop needs to have internet during coding, so you need to park somewhere with wifi or tether a hotspot. But then you connect the laptop to the car OBD2 via their dongle, give them the Anydesk code, they connect, and you just sit there and wait. In my case I had to turn the IGN off and on for a few seconds at one point in the middle of process, and then I had to immediately take the car for a ~15min drive without shutting it off when they finished so the Distronic radar could recalibrate itself. I think the coding itself took 15min or so, and then the drive. Was home and done in 45min, after driving around a bit extra just to play with the auto high beams.

Did a few other "usability preference" codes since they included some free coding credits with my Distronic, stuff like "remember engine stop-start setting" and "64color ambient lighting" - exciting stuff, I know.

Here's the full list of coding options they can do, apply to most modern Mercedes Benz:

https://rjautomotive.net/pages/coding-options