The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

I had a '91 Chevy Blazer that looked very similar to this Typhoon in profile. 
If I don't have an AMG wagon by the time our kid has a defined hobby or two that requires hauling around some variety of crap, I may seriously pursue a Typhoon. 

20200420_225733.thumb.jpg.b70765e6baf0e6ae1fa7705bdaa2214d.jpg

You could keep it GM and go with a CTS-V wagon. Do they still make those?

Haven't made them for a few years. Mrs. Doom and I did a manufacturer-sponsored driving event with all the Vs (including the maiden voyage of the ATS-V) at Palm Beach Raceway a decade ago, and while we both really liked it, it feels smaller on the inside than you would think. I don't even know whether the rear would be large enough to accommodate a couple of decent sized dogs - it certainly wouldn't hold dogs and bags. Not that the space in the Typhoon would be any better, either. 

And while probably not cost prohibitive, they're collectible enough that they're surprisingly expensive and sought after. 

25 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’m probably the only one but I think a black wing in that big caddy sedan that no one likes would be cool.

It's dead, Jim.  Went out of production in February.

Also, these will not have the Blackwing V8.  It's dead, too, Jim.  But crazy HP as in the past.

17 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I did an event with your wife's V as well. 

Yes, I already referenced that, but didn't want to mention you by name - see below. 

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

it feels smaller on the inside than you would think.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

All this Syclone talk and noone brings up the first gen F150 Lightning?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series#SVT_Lightning_(1993-1995;_1999-2004)

The 2 of them together laid the groundwork for the crazy high-powered SUVs and trucks we get today.

My dream truck in high school.

'94 for sale in NC with 45,000 original miles and factory dual 35 gallon tanks. 70 gallons of fuel holy shit:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-1994-Ford-F-150-SVT-Lightning-c5533#listing=263273044

1994_ford_f-150_svt_lightning-pic-488132

1994_ford_f-150_svt_lightning-pic-498614

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Cars are so much more powerful nowdays, I wonder how a stock 2020 f150 stacks up against that thing. Too last to look it up.

An extremely pedestrian 240hp from a 5.8L V8.  Bested by all engines in the current F-150 lineup, even the 3.0L6TD.

49 minutes ago, Loco said:

don't add this to your feed... https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer

Sheeeeeeeit.gif

A couple of years too late for that...

I just wish that they would tweet the results of auctions as well as the starting announcement. I want to see what shit costs and read all the bickering and subject matter expert advice and/or idiotic arguments in the comments, not be notified at the outset. 

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Screenshot-20200424-110131.png

Wow, stock 2019 faster than 1999 lightning.  Even crazier considering the 2019 is heavier as a crewcab and 4x4.

The limited comes with the high output 3.5 right?  Runs like 450 hp?

eta:  I had a summer job in make ready at a ford dealership when those 2nd gen lightning came out, and they got one and put it on the showroom with the hood up. It was the Triton 5.4 I believe and it had that big Eaton sc and fat belt right front and center and looked allsome.

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Sheeeeeeeit.gif

A couple of years too late for that...

I just wish that they would tweet the results of auctions as well as the starting announcement. I want to see what shit costs and read all the bickering and subject matter expert advice and/or idiotic arguments in the comments, not be notified at the outset. 

Some they do...  but I think it's only the high $ results (promoting their platform)

57 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The limited comes with the high output 3.5 right?  Runs like 450 hp?

eta:  I had a summer job in make ready at a ford dealership when those 2nd gen lightning came out, and they got one and put it on the showroom with the hood up. It was the Triton 5.4 I believe and it had that big Eaton sc and fat belt right front and center and looked allsome.

8 or 10 speed trannies have a bit to do with it, as well. Heh, trannies.

• 2 weeks later...

The funds transfer went through today so in a week or two I'll this one sitting in my garage ready for weekend driving:

pl84082(4)1584427048.2091117full.jpeg.267533881db8f8dd5aa3ff27b589c082.jpeg

pl84082(1)1584427046.104009full.jpeg.1a5918c20569ece61ee9292fd7e171a5.jpeg

I ended up having to search further away from home than I wanted to find one with the exact specs I was looking for... 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, SDG said:

The funds transfer went through today so in a week or two I'll this one sitting in my garage ready for weekend driving:

pl84082(4)1584427048.2091117full.jpeg.267533881db8f8dd5aa3ff27b589c082.jpeg

pl84082(1)1584427046.104009full.jpeg.1a5918c20569ece61ee9292fd7e171a5.jpeg

I ended up having to search further away from home than I wanted to find one with the exact specs I was looking for... 

Noice.  I'm a fan of grey.

M4? Or smaller?  I find myself consistently confused by the BMW lineup as far as telling them apart from any distance or without perspective.  I have to double take or see a badge to discern a 2 from a 4 and 3 from a 5  and even from a 7 at times.  And fuck those gran coupes.

Brand spanking or not?

Edited by TwiceHorn

52 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Noice.  I'm a fan of grey.

M4? Or smaller?  I find myself consistently confused by the BMW lineup as far as telling them apart from any distance or without perspective.  I have to double take or see a badge to discern a 2 from a 4 and 3 from a 5  and even from a 7 at times.  And fuck those gran coupes.

Brand spanking or not?

It's an old E93 M3.  I had to go old because I want the v8 for the sound and it's not a daily driver.  This is my 3rd BMW but the first one I've purchased used so fingers crossed.  

The M4 replaced the M3 in the coup/convert segment in I believe 2015.  

All this Syclone talk and noone brings up the first gen F150 Lightning?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series#SVT_Lightning_(1993-1995;_1999-2004)
The 2 of them together laid the groundwork for the crazy high-powered SUVs and trucks we get today.
Seriously almost bought one of these fresh out of college. Went the boring route though.

27 minutes ago, SDG said:

It's an old E93 M3.  I had to go old because I want the v8 for the sound and it's not a daily driver.  This is my 3rd BMW but the first one I've purchased used so fingers crossed.  

The M4 replaced the M3 in the coup/convert segment in I believe 2015.  

Ahhh.  I guess I mistook all the M bodywork for the more recent iterations.  Looks nice.

Yeah I'm aware of 3 vs. 4, etc.  I just have increasing difficulty telling them apart in the wild.  I obviously am not a BMW fanatic, but I do have a generally good eye for cars and didn't have this problem until fairly recently.  I was eyeballing X3s and 5s and never could tell them apart from any distance.

Seems like as with pickups, they're doing a good job with proportions to make them look bigger than they are.

For the record, I am really enjoying the little ATS coupe.  I have had a series of highly regarded, if less than supercar, sporty sedans (Acura TSX, Caddy CTS coupe, and now this) and I think this is the best of the lot from a fun-to-drive standpoint.  It checks most of the other boxes as well, especially that 30mpg.  Granted, it's a smallish two-door, but even trunk and back seat space are less horrible than I expected in use.

I have had it four months now and still get a little frisson getting behind the wheel.  I guess a part of that is the general boredom of the virus practices, but it's a sweet little rig, especially for the money.

I'm pretty impressed with the turbo 2.0.  It has sufficient grunt without boost for soccer mom driving, which is the majority of what I do, but it reacts highly favorably when you put your foot into it, both at low and at high speeds.  It's probably inadequate to run balls out all the time, but for practical Rodney Racetrack applications, it does the job with gusto.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 4/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, smuggs said:

My dream truck in high school.

'94 for sale in NC with 45,000 original miles and factory dual 35 gallon tanks. 70 gallons of fuel holy shit:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-1994-Ford-F-150-SVT-Lightning-c5533#listing=263273044

1994_ford_f-150_svt_lightning-pic-488132

1994_ford_f-150_svt_lightning-pic-498614

My first F-150 was a 1994. It had two 17-gallon tanks, not two 35 gallon tanks. It was a great truck. I had the straight-6 motto. It was fantastic.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That straight 6 was a great motor

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I had a ‘95 SWB single cab with a 5.0 and a 5 speed. A true unicorn. I miss it.

I think the straight-6 is still running while the rest of the truck has rusted away. My manual transmission was awesome too. Never had any issue until 172,000 miles.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That straight 6 was a great motor

I didn't realize any American maker besides maybe Jeep was putting straight sixes in things as late as the 90s.  Which is a little odd, because it's naturally one of the smoothest engine configurations.

I went down quite a rabbit hole.  I found out they've fallen out of favor because of length and crumple zones, especially for passenger cars.

And I stumbled on the GM Vortec 4200 L6 used in the early-mid 2000 Chevy Trailblazer and related SUVs.  It made a pretty impressive 270 hp and 295 torque, but was less fuel efficient than the 5L Vortec V8 of the time.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I didn't realize any American maker besides maybe Jeep was putting straight sixes in things as late as the 90s.  Which is a little odd, because it's naturally one of the smoothest engine configurations.

I went down quite a rabbit hole.  I found out they've fallen out of favor because of length and crumple zones, especially for passenger cars.

And I stumbled on the GM Vortec 4200 L6 used in the early-mid 2000 Chevy Trailblazer and related SUVs.  It made a pretty impressive 270 hp and 295 torque, but was less fuel efficient than the 5L Vortec V8 of the time.

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

The old Toyota straight 6 in the FJ 60 was bulletproof and pulled like a tractor.

I’ve heard older mechanics say Ford got rid of the straight-6 because nothing ever broke. They replaced it with a horrid V6 when they redesigned the 150.  It was a terrible redesign.  Mercedes has a great straight-6 in the E Class now.  Didn’t BMW have an awesome one too, or still does?

40 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’ve heard older mechanics say Ford got rid of the straight-6 because nothing ever broke. They replaced it with a horrid V6 when they redesigned the 150.  It was a terrible redesign.  Mercedes has a great straight-6 in the E Class now.  Didn’t BMW have an awesome one too, or still does?

The Ford V6 they replaced the straight 6 with sucked ass, and so did the initial V8s (4.6 and 5.4). But they did get the V8s better eventually and the next V6, the 3.5 is a great motor.

BMW has been using them from the 30s to the present. They haven’t ever made a V6. It’s awesome that Mercedes has recently brought them back, too.