COVID-19 and Basketball thread

Jive Turkey

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

With all due respect, fuck the fuck off. Now is the time to step back, gauge situation and see what the next steps should be. It’s a fucking conference basketball tournament.

Mike Pence has the situation under control. Cancelling major events just increases the panic. As Trump has explained to you, April will be here soon and the flu will go away with the warmer weather.

• Fuck You 12

As a Ku fan, not earning the title via tournament when we have our best chance against the field maybe ever is far more painful than losing it on the court. I’d rather lose in the second round than not have the tournament at all. At least we would know that we weren’t the best team at the end of the tournament. Now it’ll always be questioned who was going to win. it also robs bill self of his second (assuming we would have won) national title. 

I know Camelback is a blatant, unapologetic troll, but there are plenty who share his sentiments sincerely.

People can't do math. If only 10% of the US population gets this and, of those, only 2% die (right around the current estimated fatality rate), that's 650,000 dead bodies. That's a lot of people's parents and grandparents, with a sprinkle of kids and young adults thrown in for shits and giggles.

So yeah, just like the flu. Just more contagious, with a longer incubation time, many people showing no symptoms to help spread it, and no vaccine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Rudy Gobert has surpassed Ron Artest as the League’s biggest moron of all time. 

yeah I first read it and thought it was incidental, turns out he was purposely spreading his germs to his teammates shit and purposely touched the microphones joking about it. 

Rudy Gobert DPOY shut down the whole fuckin league

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I know Camelback is a blatant, unapologetic troll, but there are plenty who share his sentiments sincerely.

People can't do math. If only 10% of the US population gets this and, of those, only 2% die (right around the current estimated fatality rate), that's 650,000 dead bodies. That's a lot of people's parents and grandparents, with a sprinkle of kids and young adults thrown in for shits and giggles.

So yeah, just like the flu. Just more contagious, with a longer incubation time, many people showing no symptoms to help spread it, and no vaccine.

2% is world wide, not the states. Estimated to be similar to the flu here. There are tens of thousands that have had it and didn't know it per the head of infectious diseases at Dell medical. Who also told the city that cancelling SXSW's was unnecessary.  The panic is unreal and unwarranted. 

And as numbers continue to come out, the mortality rate continues to drop. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

I like the Big East still going like Fuck off, this is New Yawk. There's a huge fucking train station three floors down from us right now. That virus got plenty to do down there, leave us alone

I did it my way!  Cough, cough, cough......death.

51 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I was psyched to watch us take on Tech today and I'm just bummed that March college basketball is getting cancelled this year. It's the sporting event I most look forward to all year. C'est la vie. Peace y'all, and stay safe.

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

If Duke is taking itself out this thing will be cancelled.

KU also cancelled all athletic travel.

Also, Texas took itself out of the tournament too way before everyone else.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

It's also not all about avoiding catching or dying from corona virus necessarily. It's also about trying to avoid flu and other common diseases to ease demand on healthcare facilities and to avoid the need to test people with cough or sneezing. Together this is intended to help contain and be as effecient as possible in focusing on corona.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

As a Ku fan, not earning the title via tournament when we have our best chance against the field maybe ever is far more painful than losing it on the court. I’d rather lose in the second round than not have the tournament at all. At least we would know that we weren’t the best team at the end of the tournament. Now it’ll always be questioned who was going to win. it also robs bill self of his second (assuming we would have won) national title. 

Fuck Kansas and Bill Self

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

yeah I first read it and thought it was incidental, turns out he was purposely spreading his germs to his teammates shit and purposely touched the microphones joking about it. 

Rudy Gobert DPOY shut down the whole fuckin league

Lock down defender

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Mark Emmett just announced that the tourney is canceled. not postponed, canceled. 

According to this, everything else this spring is cancelled too. No chance at a College World Series?

“Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships,” the governing body said in a statement. “This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-basketball-tournaments-canceled-due-to-coronavirus-201905232.html

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

According to this, everything else this spring is cancelled too. No chance at a College World Series?

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-basketball-tournaments-canceled-due-to-coronavirus-201905232.html

Nope.  No CWS, no WCWS, no tennis/T&F/everything. 

Spring Championships

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Spring Championships

In very Texas-related news, the swimming championships are cancelled as well.

Back to basketball, poor Rutgers and Dayton, this was their first ever time being real contenders. I had a meeting in Newark today and people were really heartbroken for RU. Sad.

Edited by texifornia

Just now, texifornia said:

In very Texas-related news, the swimming championships are cancelled as well.

Back to basketball, poor Rutgers and Dayton, this was their first ever time being real contenders. I had a meeting in Newark today and people were really heartbroken for RU. Sad.

Texas had very legit chances of winning men's swimming, softball, men and women's tennis, rowing and women's golf.  We just had to forfeit potentially 6 national titles :(

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Spring Championships

are we number 1 in any polls related to any of these sports?

because if so IT'S TIEM TO HANG BANNER!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Hollow feeling not being able to hear the beautiful "ping" sound of bat on ball ringing out in the air.  The 2A went scorched earth on athletics. 

They'll spend the next few days/weeks figuring out eligibility for the lost season.  I mean, do you give the seniors an extra year and screw the rest?  Do you temporarily increase roster sizes for 4 years and grant everyone currently playing an extra year? 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/coronavirus-infected-jazz-star-rudy-gobert-issues-apology-to-the-people-that-i-have-endangered/

Fuck this asshole. Seriously, fuck him, and to hell with his weak as fucking apologies.

Literally everyone: "This is serious, please act accordingly."

Gobert: "Lulz, so srsly, imma touch stuff, lulz, so funny.

Doctors: "Mr. Gobert, you got the virus."

NBA and every other sport: "Shits cancelled, like seriously, everything."

Gobert: 

image.png.951452f2a59cef4974d554e2bc4457c6.png

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, landman said:

2% is world wide, not the states. Estimated to be similar to the flu here. There are tens of thousands that have had it and didn't know it per the head of infectious diseases at Dell medical. Who also told the city that cancelling SXSW's was unnecessary.  The panic is unreal and unwarranted. 

And as numbers continue to come out, the mortality rate continues to drop. 

No.  It's not estimated to be similar to the flu.

The flu has a mortality rate well below .01%.   https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

This is expected to have mortality rates of .06%-1% in the U.S (2% on average worldwide, 3.4% peak).  That is a range of 6-10x deadlier than the flu and far more contagious.

Edited by caliHORNia

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They'll spend the next few days/weeks figuring out eligibility for the lost season.  I mean, do you give the seniors an extra year and screw the rest?  Do you temporarily increase roster sizes for 4 years and grant everyone currently playing an extra year? 

Good question.  A clusterfuck for sure.