College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

So, the season's over.  Blame the scientists that say it's medically unsafe.  When the dust settles, no bureaucrats will take a stand against that. Sliver lining:  Lack of revenue is going to hurt a lot of programs badly.  Despite what is sure to be a lot of whining from the athletic department asking for donations, UT is in a much better position than most to ride it out.

• Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

But with their weekly format a team quarantine in football may mean only missing/rescheduling a single game.

Also, as to playoffs, if the conferences manage to complete most of a regular season, I can't see a solid reason for not playing the 3 extra games of the current playoff format.  Especially since there is a multiweek layoff before they begin in which the 4 teams could bubble beforehand.

I think this is all window-dressing at this point anyways. I don't see any college football happening this fall.

1 minute ago, JohnLocke said:

So, the season's over.  Blame the scientists that say it's medically unsafe.  When the dust settles, no bureaucrats will take a stand against that. Sliver lining:  Lack of revenue is going to hurt a lot of programs badly.  Despite what is sure to be a lot of whining from the athletic department asking for donations, UT is in a much better position than most to ride it out.

Yep big business wins. Small business loses. Maybe that’s part of why B1G is ok with sitting?

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

If I were the Big 12 I'd say we're going to continue moving forward and will discuss with the remaining conferences how to best proceed together and allow the option of retreating to Spring later in the year if it ends up not working.

People die and can be forever impacted if it ends up "not working"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

If I were the Big 12 I'd say we're going to continue moving forward and will discuss with the remaining conferences how to best proceed together and allow the option of retreating to Spring later in the year if it ends up not working.

This. Even if it's a short lived recruiting and PR edge, take the free money.

I do not for one second believe this is about Covid. Every other sport has gotten off the ground. These commissioners are nervous about the momentum of players unionizing. They know their antiquated system for dealing with these student athletes is being threatened. These players are coming together and knowing how bad they are getting fucked over. They need to put a stop to this and figure out how to counter these players wanting to unionize. And it's perfect for them to hide behind the Covid and act like they care about player's interest. When, they have never once shown they ever did in the past. 

I think the fear is rooted that they can't guarantee all patients that get heart damage will fully heal. 

Basically, there is a very low but possible chance an extremely contagious disease could end a kid's career because of damage to the heart. If you are really really unlucky, that kid could be Trevor Lawrence. Who does he sue and for how much? Or do you have to up your insurance policy?

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Which members of the media are pushing this? Are our medical experts not good enough? Or Duke’s?  The ACC is full of strong academic institutions. 

I only read an article about the Duke doctor, but it sounded a lot like "CFB can be played safely if....." My guess is the discussions have focused on the "if" and determined that it would be impossible for the needed conditions to work. First thing that comes to mind is keeping players from parties. Another is massive testing which for some reason is still not efficient or cheap. And all it takes is a few outbreaks and cancelled games for it to become a complete clusterfuck. They can't bubble like NBA, and MLB had a pretty rough start and I suspect will face some more issues. NFL will be the same. And those guys are paid millions and millions of dollars for that risk. It just doesn't jive well when the players are not paid and have already been airing grievances on that front.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pasken said:

I think the fear is rooted that they can't guarantee all patients that get heart damage will fully heal. 

Basically, there is a very low but possible chance an extremely contagious disease could end a kid's career because of damage to the heart. If you are really really unlucky, that kid could be Trevor Lawrence. Who does he sue and for how much? Or do you have to up your insurance policy?

This is absolutely the issue, nothing else. Liability over possible permanent damage and/or death, even if only to 50 people out of 10,000. How do the schools navigate around it? Obviously there is a path, but the Big 10/Pac-12 are saying they don't want to go down that path. 

You would think there would be some kind of waiver available, but would it be binding protection? I'm not a lawyer

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Of course not. Big Ten presidents and Pac presidents have united to fuck over the college football fan many times in the past. See: all their bitching about the Rose Bowl "tradition," which prevented the sport from moving toward a meaningful postseason for a long time. They have also been a huge roadblock in the quest for playoff expansion.

They may get out over their skis and  fuck themselves right out of any relevance in the immediate future.

I'm not condemning their decision to pull out, but this is precisely correct pre-covid.  Along with Domer's Celebration of Special-ness, the Rose Bowl cockblocked a playoff for 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

Logistically there was no way to properly test all conference members as much as needed to safely proceed imo.

At minimum testing twice a week at a minimum of 125 people associated with the team would result in 2500 test a week for a conference of 10 and 25000 over the course of a 10 week season.

It’s not just about testing players, it’s coaches, training staff, and doctors.

48 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

While I appreciate a guaranteed win, fuck them.  Let them sit at home.

this.  the ball hit the rail when there was still :01 second on the clock.  they couldn't beat squints.  they fell for the banana in the tailpipe in st. louis.    they only had to deal with 15 years of being owned.   aggy was dealing with 125 years of pwnership.

8 minutes ago, The_highest_of_fives said:

Looking at CFB crumble before our eyes....

giphy-downsized-large.gif

XII can add a few power brands (Nebraska/ Colorado/ Utah/ Arizona State/ USC & UCLA, in a year or so..?

Mar 30, 2020 - The Big 16 Alignment. Per Staples, the obvious brand name picks from the Pac-12 would be USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington, while the ...

13 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Tim is losing his mind today.

when it comes to college football, there is very little "national" leadership to speak of, by design.  it's all self-interested regional conferences with a toothless NCAA overseeing it.  as stated above, the process of determining a "national" champion is a joke.

Interesting coincidence:  After not playing for 5 years (and they were OOC before that) the Michigan-Ohio St Big Ten football rivalry began in 1918 during the height of the 2nd wave of the Spanish Flu, and will have its first interruption since then because of the China Flu.

https://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/umosu/results.htm

Edited by clapclapclap
Or Wuhan Xi, if you prefer