College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

So we should tell these young men what to do with their bodies?

Last I checked, they know the risks, they want to play.

How can anyone truly judge the risks when the numbers are being juked so that people will return to normalcy? Your point might be valid if transparency and trust existed. They do not.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

TBH I didn't read through the entire press releases from the B1G or Pac12 but I'm not sure what is compelling them to make their decision today versus waiting  a week or two or even until September 10th or so.  Was the MAC and Mtn West decision that much of a shock to their sensibilities?  Are there significant outbreaks on their campuses now that Fall camps have opened?  Were the networks pressuring them for a decision (highly unlikely)?  It seems like they could have announced that there would be no fans in stadiums, so people wouldn't plan trips or could cancel those already planned, but allow for a final decision on the Fall season much closer to when games were going to be played and with the benefit of seeing what happened among their players and staff once practices and classes fully resumed.  Might still be the ultimate decision but just seems too early to make it in my opinion.

The same reason the county judges and mayors in Texas tried to stop school from starting a couple of weeks ago: Stop it now before people realize that the panic is not as justified as advertised. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

The same reason the county judges and mayors in Texas tried to stop school from starting a couple of weeks ago: Stop it now before people realize that the panic is not as justified as advertised. 

Lulz you think county judges and mayors in Texas are pushing the grand conspiracy?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I just dont see how anyone can expect college football to carry on in the middle of fucking worldwide pandemic. its insane. i want my Horns to play more than anyone and i miss football BAD. but its just a game and is not worth risking the health of any player. We have to be adults and put their interests above our own. 2020 sucks. 

well, you immediately disproved this

• Hook 'Em 3

college football in an empty 100k seat stadium would be painful to watch.  assume college football happens.  fans won't be allowed in.  and that will suck all of the enjoyment out of the games.  i can handle the NBA, NHL, and even Premier League without fans.  but college football?  hell no.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

man you guys are good.  your camp has every trick from Debate State and Senior Year Mock Trial in your awesome set of tools.

At least come up with something not known to the universe about the epidemiology of viruses to scare the masses with.

39 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How can they be asymptomatic if there’s myocarditis?

Asymptomatic Covid positives.... they don't know they're positive or were positive, and some, not all, are showing heart conditions.  Unless the Mayo guy trumps the planet.  Paging ChiTowDoc for a ruling here since it clearly has triggered the hoax camp.

• Fuck You 1

Most of them would stay in a game with a concussion. It doesn’t mean you let them. 

The proper analogy would be that playing football at all puts them at risk for concussions and a host of other injuries and long term conditions.

Thing is, we still let them play under those circumstances.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Well, they seem to want a redo:

I'm sure that would sit well with the Big 10 after they came to Nebraska's "rescue", also not sure how thats even possible without huge fines and lawsuits, somewhere in that contract thing must be some words like you can't play for another conference, ever. Fucking Nebraska and that tiny dick they think is so big.

I think Texas could give weekly EKGs along with the CV19 tests and be very proactive re: player safety. Poorer schools like a&m may not be able to do this so I can see if they have reservations about playing.

Texas has caught preexisting conditions in players repeatedly and not allowed them to play. I would be shocked if heart issues related to post CV19 infection (or any viral infection for that matter) is something UT isn't already or couldn't screen for.

Ideally Texas can flex a bit and the fall schedule moves forward as planned. I do understand that football isn't the only sport played in fall, but let's tell the truth no one at a macro/watch on TV/make the university millions of dollars perspective gives a shit about the others.

Get cheerleaders and band out of it to reduce risk and just have players and staff if need be. I would rather watch UT playing in an empty stadium with no band/cheer squad etc than not have football this year.

3 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'm sure that would sit well with the Big 10 after they came to Nebraska's "rescue", also not sure how thats even possible without huge fines and lawsuits, somewhere in that contract thing must be some words like you can't play for another conference, ever. Fucking Nebraska and that tiny dick they think is so big.

That's a fake account. 

I love when dumbasses say "just give weekly covid19 tests to the 70+ members on the team" as though the state of Texas was anywhere close to meeting the covid 19 testing numbers recommended by the CDC. The general public can't get a test, but bubba dumbass wants to waste thousands of tests because he can't imagine a world where he doesn't get to watch 18 year olds play a game for just one season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It goes without saying but if you’re a CFB fan and are not already subscribed, you really should subscribe to The Athletic. Great piece by Stewart Mandel but incredibly depressing as the actual *its really happening* reality of no CFB this fall just sunk in for me truly for the first time after reading. Yes I know it’s been coming but hope springs eternal and reading his article made me confront the actual reality that I’m not gonna get to watch my A #1 favorite sport this Fall. Damn.

debd7e6df391df3f77cbc9293c47a527.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

They are pushing a political narrative. Just like the governors in the BIG and pac states. 

As though you aren't quite literally pushing a narrative yourself. You think you're above 'the masses' but in actuality you're just a rube who is exactly what you think you're above.

Edited by BigXII
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BevoBuck14 said:

I agree they are both obviously biased. However when we talk about the true statistical and evidence-based approach to the sequela of covid, the side effects are being disproprtionaly overblown based on data thus far. 

After 5 months of covid data, I haven't seen a single article showing a significant increase in mortality or morbidity for college -aged kids. Right now the public is acting as if this is the first time anyone has heard of viral myocarditis; and we are screening cardiac enzymes in asymptomatic young adults. What does the data we have gathered the past 5 months shown?

If there is a statistically significant enough increase in the incidence of myocarditis, cardiomyopathy, coagulopathy, fibrosis in college-aged kids, then that is what we should be examining from a medical standpoint. The financial gain or liability is for the other institutions, to decide.

I think it's that college aged kids aren't paid shit and that means even if the risk is small, there's a LOT of liability...especially the few that are looking at making millions of dollars in the pros.  

20 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Is any more than enough?   Don't shoot the messenger.

So one is too many? If one college student getting myocarditis is too many then, we need to close all college campuses and lock everyone down immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I said this two days ago. It's been obvious all along that Lincoln Riley doesn't want to play. He must not be so confident in Spencer Rattler. All the more reason to strap it up.

Would you feel confident with an albino QB?

48 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I just dont see how anyone can expect college football to carry on in the middle of fucking worldwide pandemic. its insane. i want my Horns to play more than anyone and i miss football BAD. but its just a game and is not worth risking the health of any player. We have to be adults and put their interests above our own. 2020 sucks. 

So why should anyone leave their houses. It's a fucking worldwide pandemic after all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

So one is too many? If one college student getting myocarditis is too many then, we need to close all college campuses and lock everyone down immediately. 

Only if we are using those particular students to generate millions of dollars while giving them a 'free education'.  But yes, any students being used for actual financial gain should not be used for whatever that activity is - unless you can do a bubble like the NBA which is the only way to really mitigate the vast majority of spread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think it's that college aged kids aren't paid shit and that means even if the risk is small, there's a LOT of liability...especially the few that are looking at making millions of dollars in the pros.  

now that you're here we need a ruling on myocarditis - the mayo guy says bullshit not to worry - yea or nay.

2 minutes ago, BigXII said:

As though you aren't quite literally pushing a narrative yourself. You think you're above 'the masses' but in actuality you're just a rube who is exactly what you think you're above.

I’m not telling people to upend their lives and be afraid of an illness that will kill fewer people under 65 in the US this year than will die in car wrecks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1