2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

If it rains enough, the ground will get so soggy that any stake will pull out of the ground.  I learned this during Harvey with a young oak tree I had braced with T posts.  Something like that is still probably your best bet though.  They make heavier duty ground augers like this that would be an ever better option.  They may not have time to settle though.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Cutting-Edge-Auger-Anchor/dp/B01FUXE19M/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=auger+anchor&qid=1598283354&sr=8-9

Edited by kevwun

16 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

is calamity directly proportional to twc ad revenue?

It’s  just a front for Home Depot, Lowes, and most recently...toilet paper companies. 

54 minutes ago, Hate said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried to hurricane proof a trampoline or is it just understood they are going to fly off?

I used some 3” load straps to the 4x4 fence posts once.  It wouldn’t have made it thru a big storm but worked for that one while several of the neighbors tramps fucked up their porches, windows, and pools. If I was 100% certain we are in the path I’d likely spend 90 minutes and take it down. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I used some 3” load straps to the 4x4 fence posts once.  It wouldn’t have made it thru a big storm but worked for that one while several of the neighbors tramps fucked up their porches, windows, and pools. If I was 100% certain we are in the path I’d likely spend 90 minutes and take it down. 

Yeah, just take it down.  You can disconnect the....jumpy part (WTF is that called? The platform?) from the frame.  It's a royal pain, but I mean, so is having a 10-foot wide missile flying around your property.

12z GFS is into Lake Charles and seems to have initialized in close to the right place. But if it doesn't go northwest and stays further south over water, then this model run isn't worth much. 

If in 5-6 hours the center has passed on the the Isle of Youth instead of over the main island, Houston is likely fucked. 

image.thumb.png.20679ba4d3414697ee0a38be08c2d1bb.png

image.thumb.png.472fc9afd4b3e75a40b68e18dd783c74.png

8 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

12z GFS is into Lake Charles and seems to have initialized in close to the right place. But if it doesn't go northwest and stays further south over water, then this model run isn't worth much. 

If in 5-6 hours the center has passed on the the Isle of Youth instead of over the main island, Houston is likely fucked. 

image.thumb.png.20679ba4d3414697ee0a38be08c2d1bb.png

Fuuuck.

7 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Ditto.  Wife and I are leaving and heading to Tyler.  Probably going to board up the windows just in case.  We're a bit further south (east pearland).

I’m in 2nd Ward, no ability to board up my big second floor windows. Going to move some stuff and head to SA tomorrow am 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

Do I need to go to Houston?
Are they going to evacuate Houston?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good question.  Wait.

Remember Rita?  I remember folks that evacuated Beaumont and drove north....took them 20 hours to get to Tyler.  I was trying desperately to reach them via phone and text to tall them to turn west and head to Houston, the track had turned and Houston would be a good place to shelter.

Of course, they were olds, who had their cell phones turned off because 1) "we only use them in case of emergency" and 2) evacuating from a Cat 5 storm with a 90 yr old woman doesn't qualify as an "emergency."

You can dodge a storm sideways just as effectively as running north.   Shit, evacuate down 59 to Corpus, it would be easier than a drive north with all the other lemmings.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, crimsonlonghorn said:

Better fill up your tanks because no matter where it hits, some amount of refiner capacity is going off for a few days at the very least. 

I filled up my car 3 weeks ago and its probably around 3/4 tank. Between work from home and attempts to minimize mingling with the diseased masses, I can probably make it until the refineries come back on line. 

3 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Do I need to go to Houston?
Are they going to evacuate Houston?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The adage is "run from the water, hide from the wind" and no one is predicting flooding in Houston proper. 

If anything officially evacuates, it will be Galveston County and far east Harris County. They never officially told people away from the coast to evacuate during Rita, so as long as your daughter has a safe place  to hunker down, she'll be OK if the storm hits.

If you do insist on coming and retrieving her, you had better do it ASAP because if the forecasts settle on a major hit on Houston there will still be people streaming out and clogging the road.  Unnecessarily, granted, but some people will still do it.  

Many of the models, including the UK, continue to 'windshield wiper' and have moved back east towards TX/LA border.  It may be tomorrow before they consistently consolidate on a location.  Probably anywhere from at least Corpus to near NOLA still in play. 

And while models as a whole have gotten pretty good with predicting the track within 48 hours of landfall, they still aren't great with intensity.  Which is also the most difficult aspect for the NHC mets to predict.  But the ingredients are there for a Cat. 4 to form.

Meanwhile, much of the former 'news' media just can't help their dishonest selves.  See BS indeed:

Edited by clapclapclap

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Good question.  Wait.

Remember Rita?  I remember folks that evacuated Beaumont and drove north....took them 20 hours to get to Tyler.  I was trying desperately to reach them via phone and text to tall them to turn west and head to Houston, the track had turned and Houston would be a good place to shelter.

Of course, they were olds, who had their cell phones turned off because 1) "we only use them in case of emergency" and 2) evacuating from a Cat 5 storm with a 90 yr old woman doesn't qualify as an "emergency."

You can dodge a storm sideways just as effectively as running north.   Shit, evacuate down 59 to Corpus, it would be easier than a drive north with all the other lemmings.

Rita was a clusterfuck of nightmare proportions. Everyone was on edge already because of Katrina and then they told a million people to evacuate at the same time. And, if I remember correctly, in a lot of places they hadn't marked the contraflow lanes so people didn't know they were an option. Took my parents 21 hours to get from Groves to Austin - it was them, my grandma, a pug, and a cat in a carrier in a Toyota Avalon. Ever since they've tended to get out early even when there's still uncertainty about the track, and they're retired so they have more flexibility than in the past.They usually leave their RV in Crystal Beach all summer but they brought it up here yesterday - there's a decent KOA in Leander, and they didn't want to get caught in all the traffic when the evac orders hit. 

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No, don’t do this. This is my plan. 

My wife and I thought we'd be cute and do this during Rita. Got all the way to Grand Parkway 99 and they had closed 59 and all of the other roads to southbound traffic so as to facilitate evacuees coming up from Brazoria County. We were forced onto Grand Parkway back towards I-10 and hit stop and go traffic around 1093 (now the Westpark tollway). We eventually ended up going west on 529 to Bellville at about 10 miles an hour and made it to Austin about 12 hours later. 

Now that I live down here and know the back roads we might have been able to get around the closures and past Rosenberg, but at the time it was frustrating as hell to get turned around like that.