Reuben Foster, Saban can no longer make this go away

Beau Vine

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster has been charged with three felonies, including domestic violence, in connection with his February arrest, the Santa Clara District Attorney's office announced Thursday.

Police responded to a disturbance call on Feb. 11 at a residence in Los Gatos, California. Upon arrival, officers spoke to Foster and the alleged victim.

Officials said Foster, now 24, "physically attacked" his live-in girlfriend, leaving "her bruised and with a ruptured eardrum." Officials said Foster dragged her by her hair, physically threw her out of the house and punched her in the head eight to 10 times.

Foster faces charges of domestic violence with an allegation that he inflicted great bodily injury, forcefully attempting to prevent a victim from reporting a crime, and possession of an assault weapon -- all felonies.

In addition, he was charged with misdemeanor possession of a large-capacity weapon magazine. During a search of the home, police found a Sig Sauer 516 and a large-capacity magazine, both of which are illegal to possess in California.

Foster appeared in court Thursday and his bail remains at $75,000, which he posted when he was arrested in February. He was ordered to have no contact with the woman in this case, his live-in girlfriend. A plea hearing was set for April 30.

If convicted, officials said he could face more than 11 years in prison.

The NFL issued a statement Thursday saying "we continue to monitor all developments in this matter which is under review of the personal conduct policy."

The 49ers also issued a statement saying they were aware of the charges.

"We will continue to follow this serious matter," the team's statement said. "Reuben is aware that his place in our organization is under great scrutiny and will depend on what is learned through the legal process."

The arrest came on the heels of a Jan. 12 incident in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where Foster was charged with second-degree marijuana possession, a Class A misdemeanor in Alabama. He was released that night on $2,500 bond.

Both arrests follow a successful rookie season for Foster, in which he was second on the Niners in tackles, with 72 in 10 games. The arrests are added to a list of off-field incidents that contributed to Foster's falling to San Francisco with the No. 31 pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Foster's arrests could lead to discipline from the NFL, up to and including a suspension. Foster's cases both stand to be reviewed under the league's policies on substance abuse and personal conduct.

At the 2017 NFL combine in Indianapolis, Foster was sent home for having a "heated altercation" with a hospital worker, ESPN reported at the time. The NFL would only say then that Foster was sent home for personal reasons. 

He also had a urine sample taken there show up as diluted, which, according to the NFL's policy on substances of abuse, was treated as a positive test.

Because of the diluted sample, Foster entered the league as part of the substance abuse program.

Despite the incidents in Indianapolis, 49ers general manager John Lynch said after drafting Foster that he and the organization were comfortable with Foster's character and that Foster would be able to avoid trouble off the field. After the January marijuana arrest, Lynch told SBNation.com at the Senior Bowl that Foster had to figure out how to avoid off-the-field issues.

"He's got to stay -- he knows it -- he's got to stay clean," Lynch said. "We all know how special a player he can be when he's right. So he's got to figure out how to stay healthy and stay out of trouble, but we believe he will do that."

3 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Reuben will not be suspended from any games, because we have clear evidence he is guilty, and he does not play for the Cowboys- Roger Goodell 

Do I smell a spin on the Tarkanian-NCAA joke?

"Goodell was so mad at Foster that he suspended Dak Prescott for six games."

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't see how Saban can be blamed for this, Reuben Foster gets all the blame for this. If there was a way to diagnose CTE without analyzing the brain he would most likely have it already. That doesn't excuse his behavior, but the first two years at Bama he played sparingly because he was like a missle leading with his head. He suffered head and neck injuries often. I was afraid he was going to break his neck, or worse. 

The players behavior after they get to the league are no more on Saban than they are on The Texas coach.

• Like 1

I posted about this several days ago, in the NFL offseason thread and this has zero to do with Saban. This has everything to do with an idiot who, if guilty of what he is charged with, needs to spend a decade plus in jail. Although, he probably won't due to being a football player.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bornbama1 said:

I don't see how Saban can be blamed for this, Reuben Foster gets all the blame for this. If there was a way to diagnose CTE without analyzing the brain he would most likely have it already. That doesn't excuse his behavior, but the first two years at Bama he played sparingly because he was like a missle leading with his head. He suffered head and neck injuries often. I was afraid he was going to break his neck, or worse. 

The players behavior after they get to the league are no more on Saban than they are on The Texas coach.

Well....maybe not.....except for the fact foster is accustomed to Saban always coming to the rescue. Maybe he's not pulling this shit if Saban would have implemented some serious discipline for his stars

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rungeflash said:

Well....maybe not.....except for the fact foster is accustomed to Saban always coming to the rescue. Maybe he's not pulling this shit if Saban would have implemented some serious discipline for his stars

Foster spent quite a bit of time in Saban's doghouse. He did not start a full season until his last season. He had the physical talent to play all three years, as a starter but not the mental, hence why he did not start all season until that last year. His next to last year, he was in and out of the doghouse and as such, only started a few games. This is in a program where many true freshman come in and start right away, like Calvin Ridley, Jalen Hurts, Amari Cooper, etc. Difference with those guys, they never got in any trouble.

Edited by bamachine
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 2:48 PM, Leanderman said:

The lawyers will plea bargain this down to disturbing the peace, with community service suspended for time served.

I had a client one time who was charged with anal sodomy. I plea bargained it down to following too close and negligent collision. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 7:24 AM, Rick Blaine said:

I had a client one time who was charged with anal sodomy. I plea bargained it down to following too close and negligent collision. 

A real attorney would have the charges reduced to "ticketed for changing lanes without signaling."

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Sooo, is this legit, or did he pay her off.  Did Michael corleone walk into the court room with her brother from Italy?

Given this isn't the first time she has done something like this, I'm going to say this is probably legit.

10 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

You would think with all the money these guys make they would run background checks on any girl they "date".

You would also think that with all the money they make, they would not end up broke at the end of their careers.