Fitlump fucking won an Austin City Council seat

atomheartbevo

51 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fewer.  That's the point. Leaving the permanent homeless to their own devices to suffer by the side of the road  is really fucking brutal.  Just because you can see them and the sight of human squalor offends your family doesn't transform malignant neglect into compassion.  There's literally a biblical parable about this.

Because you see, genius, less brutality=less homelessness

You should keep saying that, so that people can hear what a dumb idea you have. 

so having them at every intersection in town and in medians makes for a highly efficient means of determining how to help them? Using millions of dolllars to buy 10 hotels is a good idea? 

Dallas doesn't help them.  they put them on buses.  thats why they have "fewer" genius.  they don't allow it to fester and get out of control.  Our city council is a complete clusterfuck and they allowed this to happen.  

I get that you are the white knight who has fought so valiantly despite the fact that no one understands you and your so obviously correct answers, You have an entire city council who thinks ideas like yours will solve it.   well here we are.

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

we have 6-7K(probably more)

Do you have data that indicate the census I cited is wrong or just feelings?

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

so having them at every intersection in town and in medians makes for a highly efficient means of determining how to help them? Using millions of dolllars to buy 10 hotels is a good idea? 

Dallas doesn't help them.  they put them on buses.  thats why they have "fewer" genius.  they don't allow it to fester and get out of control.  Our city council is a complete clusterfuck and they allowed this to happen.  

I get that you are the white knight who has fought so valiantly despite the fact that no one understands you and your so obviously correct answers, You have an entire city council who thinks ideas like yours will solve it.   well here we are.

Perhaps if you wiped the spittle from your screen you would have read where I called letting people live at intersections and congratulating themselves for compassion  “brutal” and “neglect”.

But either way, Dallas doesn’t export homeless on buses more than other cities in Texas, including Austin.  Where did you get the idea they do? Mostly that practice is just sending people home to their families.  

serious question: is John F Kennedy Jr. alive and will he be arresting the traitors and lizard people soon?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I keep saying to cordon off a portion of Zilker and get some fema trailers or the like and have them be in one area where they can be efficiently helped.

I don't think the company that runs music festivals we sold it to will be on board.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

By the way - Dallas has fewer for its size, but Austin's population is smaller,  fewer than 3000.

17 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we have 6-7K(probably more)

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I seriously don't buy that 3k number at all.

I have no hard numbers to go on but my "feeling" is that just below the 6 overpasses on 183 and the one big one down under Ben white you are likely getting close to 1500 and that leaves all of downtown and the big concentration off of Pleasant Valley and everywhere else in town to make up the other half. 

There really is no chance that 3000 is correct.

16 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Perhaps if you wiped the spittle from your screen you would have read where I called letting people live at intersections and congratulating themselves for compassion  “brutal” and “neglect”.

But either way, Dallas doesn’t export homeless on buses more than other cities in Texas, including Austin.  Where did you get the idea they do? Mostly that practice is just sending people home to their families.  

serious question: is John F Kennedy Jr. alive and will he be arresting the traitors and lizard people soon?

ha. I see your "point" perfectly.   Dallas absolutely does.  I have family that does charity work for the homeless in Dallas and they tell me they absolutely do at a high rate.  Where do you get the idea that they don't?  

The reported number rarely changes its usually a 5 to 10% uptick, permanent homeless 2-2.5K, short term homeless 4-5K.   If the number reported is low enough we can just buy a few hotels and fix it. easy peasy, just like San Francisco did....or didn't.  No one has a vested interest in reporting the actual number because then people will figure out you can't buy a few hotels that house 150 people each and fix it.

Just use your eyes while driving around or if you are downtown near 35/1st or Ben White or Oltorf.  its not 2-3K permanent, not even close.

Tell me what color is the sky in your world where you can allow people to loiter on any public spot, even market that you are good with it, or give them a hotel room and grubhub and expect the number to go down while cities within a 200 mile radius decide to continue to send folks your way.

It would be good if the council, that is completely sympathetic to this process, would decide to quit funding stupid shit like land code crap and chunnels, and use the money we already send them to provide programs that are helpful yet hold people accountable.  at some point, some people have to help themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

No one has a vested interest in reporting the actual number because then people will figure out you can't buy a few hotels that house 150 people each and fix it.

I've stayed out of this homeless debate and agree that accurately counting the homeless must be an incredibly difficult task, but I do take issue with the bolded. There is absolutely a vested interest in counting them as it affects the amount of federal $ that Austin could receive to help deal with this population.

Census takers work to count homeless population

AUSTIN (KXAN) — This week, U.S. Census Bureau enumerators will work to make sure Travis County and the surrounding area’s homeless population is counted. 

Enumerators will visit people experiencing homelessness living along Interstate 35, U.S. Highway 290 and 183. Since October, Integral Care has been laying the groundwork for Census officials by working to provide support, mapping and information. The health authority has also been working to get the word out within the homeless community.

Integral Care is just one of the many local groups, along with the City of Austin, working to ensure every person experiencing homelessness is counted. Austin’s Ending Community Homelessness Coalition, or ECHO, is also helping, providing mapping to guide census officials.

In January, ECHO conducted its annual Point-In-Time count. At that time, 2,506 people were counted as experiencing homelessness.

An 11 percent increase from last year with a 45% spike in unsheltered homelessness. While ECHO officials said the jump in numbers was more than likely due to a more accurate count thanks to volunteers and better technology. ECHO officials added it is a hard-to-reach population, and counting those experiencing homelessness is crucial.

“The great risk is that we lose federal funding for things like shelters and services and housing programs and things like that, that are very critical to helping serve this population and helping keep people off the streets,” said Sarah Duzinski, ECHO’s vice president of quality assurance.

“For us to ensure that we are able to move people off the streets and into housing we need those federal dollars and that support of the federal government,” added Ellen Richards, Integral Care’s chief strategist.

Census officials cannot use the Point-In-Count numbers because census enumerators must be the ones to conduct the count. Enumerators will also visit homeless shelters and food bank lines to make sure they get as many people counted as possible.

The dumbest argument is "This one thing won't completely fix the homeless issue by itself". The city ain't buying the Fairmont or any other 1,000 room hotel. It's about the cumulative effort of everything being done and judging 1 action item in its ability to solve the crisis by itself is beyond stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pasken said:

The dumbest argument is "This one thing won't completely fix the homeless issue by itself". The city ain't buying the Fairmont or any other 1,000 room hotel. It's about the cumulative effort of everything being done and judging 1 action item in its ability to solve the crisis by itself is beyond stupid.

Well we are copying San Francisco. Remember when our mayor visited LA and SF to get ideas?  Guess where they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

So if the 3000 number is true and each hotel holds 150 people, you think the city should be buying and operating 10 hotels to house the homeless? And when the homeless of Dallas and San Antonio figure out that in Austin you get a free hotel room, and then they all move here, the Austin should own and operate 20 hotels? 

Sounds fucking ridiculous.

• Like 1

Never fear.  We have a new "Homeless Strategy Officer" as of earlier this month.  (Not to be confused with the city's Bicycling Strategy Officer.) 

We should happily double this lady's salary of $136K if she can somehow instill some (any) sense, sanity, real direction and accountability into the homelessness cluster fuck.  (The "accountability" thing is a pipe dream. We'll scratch it.)

First goal should probably get this HSO to stay onboard more than 6 weeks given this position's first go round. 

25 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

So if the 3000 number is true and each hotel holds 150 people, you think the city should be buying and operating 10 hotels to house the homeless? And when the homeless of Dallas and San Antonio figure out that in Austin you get a free hotel room, and then they all move here, the Austin should own and operate 20 hotels? 

Sounds fucking ridiculous.

May want to check the math on the above unless the bums are doubling up in each room. 

And FWIW the newest property we bought for $6.7MM has just 65 rooms.    So that's really going to mess with your hotel inventory assessment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If a sizable percentage of homeless people have drug addiction issues, how on earth are you going to get them to move out to areas away from their dealers?  Or can we expect the drugs to follow the community and turn these areas into places easier to score?  And if that's the case, why are they putting some of them near schools?   Or are these hotels not for the chronically homeless but for those who fell on some bad times, families, etc.?  

I don't have a problem with this plan if it actually helps to address the problem.  I just don't understand how it does.  And I'd prefer the real estate assholes who run this city not line their pockets by overpaying.

Edited by Samson's Wig

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

May want to check the math on the above unless the bums are doubling up in each room. 

And FWIW the newest property we bought for $6.7MM has just 65 rooms.    So that's really going to mess with your hotel inventory assessment. 

I get that sounds like a lot of money, and it IS. But, bear with me here, property is really fucking expensive in Austin.

So, let's do the maths on this amount. It comes out to a one-time cost of a little more than $100,000 per room to house the homeless. How many potential occupants will live in each room over how much time? What's the turnover? I honestly don't know.

Can they get someone off the street, into a room for six months, set them on a path for recovery, and back into society in that time? Again, I honestly don't know.

What's the expected useful life of the hotel? How many folks will it help out over the years? Again and again, I don't know.

What I do know is that the federal government spent about $36,000 per year to house its inmates in 2017, but I don't know what the costs are for Travis County inmates.

Seen in that light and compared to other potential unpaid expenses at ERs for overdoses/accidents and visits to the county lockup, that $6.7 million might actually not be that terrible IF the folks living temporarily in these hotels get the counseling/social services they need to become contributing members of society again.

I'm no expert on policies geared toward helping the homeless, but it sort of makes sense to get them sheltered first and then provide services like Maslow's hierarchy of needs would suggest.

maslow-needs2.webp

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s the cost to police the bum hotel? They’ll need a police presence 24/7.

Is there a plan to help the hotel bums get on their own within, say, 60 days? Is there a plan to follow up with former hotel bums to see if they’re homeless again 6 months later to see if the program is even making a difference?

Does anyone actually live near one of these hotels or have any 1st hand experience? I'm googling wrong or some shit and coming up dry. Does it turn the nearby intersections into a shit show? Are they held to actual standards to get to stay there? I assume if they're implemented correctly, the impact on nearby neighborhoods is minimal. My concern is the city can't manage anything worth a fuck so... 

18 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Without at least statewide plans to address mental illness, substance abuse, and foster care to name a few, we’re pissing in the wind.

100% accurate. There’s no getting this population on their feet without mental healthcare, and for a great number of these people, while they can still be stabilized and live happy and somewhat productive lives, they are simply too broken to ever achieve full self-sufficiency outside of some kind of a supportive community or without ongoing professional support. 

12 hours ago, B00M said:

Does anyone actually live near one of these hotels or have any 1st hand experience? I'm googling wrong or some shit and coming up dry. Does it turn the nearby intersections into a shit show? Are they held to actual standards to get to stay there? I assume if they're implemented correctly, the impact on nearby neighborhoods is minimal. My concern is the city can't manage anything worth a fuck so... 

Depends on who’s running it, honestly. MLF and Foundation Communities run a tight ship. Others not so much. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, B00M said:

I think the answer you are looking for is "no one knows".  seriously, what will happen is there will be problems(what types of problems, who knows, its fairly easy to imagine some examples) and the city council will ask for more money to solve the problem. rinse repeat.  this is highly predictable.

It will take a while, but the hotels will fil up, or people won't go because of the rules, AND there will be tents under freeways/in medians.  See  San Francisco. Until you seriously disincentivize people from coming here it will continue.

15 hours ago, B00M said:

The employees (particularly the women) of the Austin A+ credit union on 183 North are not happy at all about the prospect of the bums filling the hotel next door.
They have seen the behavior of those types aplenty at the trashy campsites under the overpasses in the neighborhood.

Edited by Armybrat

31 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The employees (particularly the women) of the Austin A+ credit union on 183 North are not happy at all about the prospect of the bums filling the hotel next door.
They have seen the behavior of those types aplenty at the trashy campsites under the overpasses in the neighborhood.

I guess I'm wondering how much overlap there is between the underpass bum that steals from children to smoke meth and those that actually want to be in these hotels. There's a difference between those that live out of their cars and those that live in a camp under 183.. In my opinion.

Basically, will these hotels be for the people that legit want to get off the street or will it be for the people that want a safe place to keep their belongings while they continue to live on the street?

Edited by B00M

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

I guess I'm wondering how much overlap there is between the underpass bum that steals from children to smoke meth and those that actually want to be in these hotels. There's a difference between those that live out of their cars and those that live in a tent under 183.. In my opinion. 

So what you are saying is that all of these millions dollar hotels won't fix the problems that everyone in town is fucking tired of dealing with. Great.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Which gullible city bureaucrat is going to do the sorting out?

If the “clean” ones get the hotel rooms, that doesn’t do much to get the trash off the streets, park trails, & from the underpasses.

this is a given regardless. At this point the question is just what degree of horse fuckery these hotels unleash on the surrounding neighborhoods that otherwise currently have very small homeless populations.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

If you took stock of all the places the "Austin triggers us" crowd doesn't want the homeless, our remaining choices ara Antarctica or concentration camps in Bastrop.

"We're sympathetic but we don't want them within 50 miles of us"

How about Oklahoma?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I’m kinda confused about this issue.  I moved here around 1984, and there were a lot of homeless on the drag, and a bunch on South Congress along with the air open drug markets and hookers, where legislators could get their fix.   And homer the goose and the floating homeless camp on town lake.  Then that shit got shut down and some moved to east Austin, then further north to St Johns and Rundberg.  Is it just recently becoming an issue because we are old intolerant farts, or is it because it’s now in your face?  I tend to think the latter.  I cracked a few bums over the head when I worked security at the Zeta house in the 80s. Now they’re camping in the suburbs.   If awareness and outrage are what it takes to solve the problem maybe we’re halfway there. 

TLDR Austin has always had a serious homeless problem.  It seems to be more of an issue now.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I’m kinda confused about this issue.  I moved here around 1984, and there were a lot of homeless on the drag, and a bunch on South Congress along with the air open drug markets and hookers, where legislators could get their fix.   And homer the goose and the floating homeless camp on town lake.  Then that shit got shut down and some moved to east Austin, then further north to St Johns and Rundberg.  Is it just recently becoming an issue because we are old intolerant farts, or is it because it’s now in your face?  I tend to think the latter.  I cracked a few bums over the head when I worked security at the Zeta house in the 80s. Now they’re camping in the suburbs.   If awareness and outrage are what it takes to solve the problem maybe we’re halfway there. 

Most of the people doing the loudest complaining are nouveau Austin. They're nostalgic for the Austin they know from when they moved here 10 years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Most of the people doing the loudest complaining are nouveau Austin. They're nostalgic for the Austin they know from when they moved here 10 years ago.

There is little question we have more longterm homeless, more permanent campsites in public spaces throughout the city, more aggressive populations, and more crime from homeless populations.

The longterm homeless pops include people out of their minds and gangs of career criminals, ranging from grifters, petty thieves to violent offenders.

My wife was accosted last week with an unarmed robbery attempt while she was at a drivethru. Dude made a half-assed attempt, maybe not homeless, but appeared mentally ill.

My coworkers nephew violently assaulted by a gang last year, where he had to draw a firearm (he was dumb getting out of his truck when one dude was banging on his truck). He pulled his gun after falling out of his truck and getting surprised by a 2nd dude.

Got to figure out different terminology for homeless, given that the solutions presented wont work for grifters, free campers, mentally unfit to make decisions guys, or gang members that represent the rising long-term homeless pops that dont want help or will only temporarily use them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

There is little question we have more longterm homeless, more permanent campsites in public spaces throughout the city, more aggressive populations, and more crime from homeless populations.

The longterm homeless pops include people out of their minds and gangs of career criminals, ranging from grifters, petty thieves to violent offenders.

My wife was accosted last week with an unarmed robbery attempt while she was at a drivethru. Dude made a half-assed attempt, maybe not homeless, but appeared mentally ill.

My coworkers nephew violently assaulted by a gang last year, where he had to draw a firearm (he was dumb getting out of his truck when one dude was banging on his truck). He pulled his gun after falling out of his truck and getting surprised by a 2nd dude.

Got to figure out different terminology for homeless, given that the solutions presented wont work for grifters, free campers, mentally unfit to make decisions guys, or gang members that represent the rising long-term homeless pops that dont want help or will only temporarily use them.

Those people you are referring to are criminals and thugs and belong in jail or under the ground.   Not having a home does not equal criminal.  Being a criminal does.  I’m all for sorting them out.  Austin is still the location of the state mental hospital, but the patients are under the overpasses and in the capitol.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, B00M said:

There's a difference between those that live out of their cars and those that live in a camp under 183.. In my opinion.

There is a big difference - I have a relative who does the car thing, and she and her bf don't consider themselves homeless, but if they didn't have a relative covering their repairs, gas, and insurance, they sure as fuck would be.  The thing is, they are still, in theory, able to get their shit together (at least as much as somebody who was into qanon shit is capable of doing that), as they seem a lot more secure than somebody who is on foot.

I still wish we'd get a larger WPA-program going like we had in the '30s - ask armybrat about how much it helped his grandkids.

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Is it just recently becoming an issue because we are old intolerant farts, or is it because it’s now in your face?  

TLDR Austin has always had a serious homeless problem.  It seems to be more of an issue now.

4 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I can remember encountering plenty of homeless back in the 90s, along various trails, out-of-the-way parts of parks/greenbelts, at intersections, etc.  My wife's church has been doing some kind of "ministry under the bridge" stuff or whatever for decades.

We've always had a serious homeless problem.  We were just very good at hiding it and keeping it spread out (we made them camp in single file to hide their numbers).  Yeah, we got fucked by other cities/states sending homeless our way, but we've always had them.

It's just that they are now allowed to be in plain sight.

Those people you are referring to are criminals and thugs and belong in jail or under the ground.   Not having a home does not equal criminal.  Being a criminal does.  I’m all for sorting them out.  Austin is still the location of the state mental hospital, but the patients are under the overpasses and in the capitol.

Yeah, understand that. My observation is that we’re seeing a rising influx of untreated mentally ill homeless people, grifters, and gangs due to decriminalization of camping and homelessness. The police are much less involved, which I understand the rationale for.

Nevertheless, since no other Texas city tolerates public camping and homelessness (or has our reputation), we will continue to attract longterm homeless pops.

Whatever the policies that need to happen, what we’re doing now is ruinous. Fitlump is Exhibit A.

I can remember encountering plenty of homeless back in the 90s, along various trails, out-of-the-way parts of parks/greenbelts, at intersections, etc.  My wife's church has been doing some kind of "ministry under the bridge" stuff or whatever for decades.
We've always had a serious homeless problem.  We were just very good at hiding it and keeping it spread out (we made them camp in single file to hide their numbers).  Yeah, we got fucked by other cities/states sending homeless our way, but we've always had them.
It's just that they are now allowed to be in plain sight.
Yep. Wonder how many people who complain about the ARCH ever parked their car or walked under the overpass at 35 and 6th/7th before they cleaned it up. Or the Shell station right there. Shit was dangerous.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That whole area has been fucked for 30+ years. 

Yep. Friend and I got jumped by about six dudes right in front of that station walking to our car from sixth street one night sometime in the 2000s. I got popped in the face a couple times and got one or two good shots in on somebody, and my buddy got knocked around pretty good. Cop sitting in his car 50 yards away pointed right at the gas station said he didn't see it and we couldn't prove anything so no reason for him to do anything. 

Still remember the protection scam if you'd park under the bridge there. Bums asking for $5 or $10 to "watch your car" AKA not mess with it. 

That two block area has always been a shit show.

7 hours ago, BradInATX said:

If you took stock of all the places the "Austin triggers us" crowd doesn't want the homeless, our remaining choices ara Antarctica or concentration camps in Bastrop.

"We're sympathetic but we don't want them within 50 miles of us"

Do you own a home? Do you want one of these hotels next to it? Do you have one at the nearest intersection? From a property value and a what-sort-of-shit-do-I-want-my-kids-to-see-on-a-daily-basis perspective, you can eat a dick. I do typically appreciate your posts, but fuck.

Just driving past these fucked intersections you can fully expect to see pantsless crackheads openly pissing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, B00M said:

Do you own a home? Do you want one of these hotels next to it? Do you have one at the nearest intersection? From a property value and a what-sort-of-shit-do-I-want-my-kids-to-see-on-a-daily-basis perspective, you can eat a dick. I do typically appreciate your posts, but fuck.

Just driving past these fucked intersections you can fully expect to see pantsless crackheads openly pissing. 

If you buy a home near a motel, you're probably already used to that kind of shit happening. We're talking about old, beat to shit antequated motels, right?

I'm not advocating that they let those hotels look like the sidewalk in front of the ARCH, and I don't think that's the intention. These people have to go somewhere, and having them in motels is better than the greenbelt or even worse, where they are today. 

The point of my post is that they have to go somewhere, and if every NIMBY gets to veto them being within two miles of their house, then we're going to end up right back to where we are today with them camping. With the added bonus of our taxpayers sending them through the cycle of the justice system over and over.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Yeah, understand that. My observation is that we’re seeing a rising influx of untreated mentally ill homeless people, grifters, and gangs due to decriminalization of camping and homelessness. The police are much less involved, which I understand the rationale for.

Nevertheless, since no other Texas city tolerates public camping and homelessness (or has our reputation), we will continue to attract longterm homeless pops.

Whatever the policies that need to happen, what we’re doing now is ruinous. Fitlump is Exhibit A.

Agree, it’s ruinous to everyone.   Even the homeless/mental health patients.  Us getting further divided on the issue isn’t going to solve it either.   Hence fitlump.   So yeah you’re absolutely right about that.