Fitlump fucking won an Austin City Council seat

atomheartbevo

24 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Right. Me calling you out for a shitty, partisan, lazy take means I should join her campaign.

Good one.

When they ask me why I ran for city council, I'm going to say it was out of spite to some dude I didn't know on the internet. 

You know, it may be the Larry David fan in me talking here but I think I could support a "Spite" party candidate in certain elections.  Somebody you don't really like, or even support, or share policy visions...but you just vote for them to spite the other person.  

The only reason I almost ran for City Council myself was to spite a handful of people on that current dais.  

4 hours ago, Pasken said:

She better be careful or she's gonna get Jennifer Kim'd

1 hour ago, Pasken said:
I'm sure there will be many posters who agree with her but I think it's pretty stupid for the anti homeless city council canidate to be fighting purchasing a dense housing complex to get homeless off the streets.  I mean, just come out and say you think we should shoot them and be done with it. 

Seems like a modest proposal

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Really? Will there be one in Mueller? Or Tarrytown? Or Pemberton? Circle C?

Who chooses where they go in "every district"?

Mueller would support it. We've already got the only new market-rate affordable housing in central Austin along with the largest concentration of subsidized affordable housing in the city, literally mixed in so deeply that you have multi-millionaires living next door and across the street from people on food and housing assistance.  And we've asked for more of the same.

So I wouldn't expect T-Town or Circle C to feel this way, but I'm fine with all of the above. It makes the community safer and more resilient, and that benefits me. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4

yeah, the blend at mueller is almost completely invisible unless you have specific first-hand information about specific addresses.  But that master-stroke took 20 years to pull off.  City Council wants to try the same thing in 20 months.  Which is code for, "Hold my beer, we gonna fuck this up good."  

To be fair, a brownfield redevelopment is relatively easy. That's why I support code reform: I don't trust the policy dept. to get things right and I think we should give the owners of residential property a few more options other than to either keep the same house or build a giant McMansion McModernFarmhouse out to the setbacks, and right now those are effectively the only thing the code allows in most places. 

I know you don't really believe that the people that are actively trying to help themselves to the point of qualifying for and affording subsidized housing in Mueller are even close to the same type of situation as the people that live under IH35 and 183 that the City is wanting to put into the hotel mentioned above.

While I do believe that you personally would be ok with the latter, I do not believe that the rest of Mueller would be.

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Mueller would support it. We've already got the only new market-rate affordable housing in central Austin along with the largest concentration of subsidized affordable housing in the city, literally mixed in so deeply that you have multi-millionaires living next door and across the street from people on food and housing assistance.  And we've asked for more of the same.

So I wouldn't expect T-Town or Circle C to feel this way, but I'm fine with all of the above. It makes the community safer and more resilient, and that benefits me. 

2 hours ago, Pasken said:

I'm sure there will be many posters who agree with her but I think it's pretty stupid for the anti homeless city council canidate to be fighting purchasing a dense housing complex to get homeless off the streets.  I mean, just come out and say you think we should shoot them and be done with it. 

It's not called the "Homeless check in, but they don't check out" hotel for nothing.

43 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I know you don't really believe that the people that are actively trying to help themselves to the point of qualifying for and affording subsidized housing in Mueller are even close to the same type of situation as the people that live under IH35 and 183 that the City is wanting to put into the hotel mentioned above.

While I do believe that you personally would be ok with the latter, I do not believe that the rest of Mueller would be.

They aren't, that's true. This homeless discourse is really about the permanent homeless population, not people who are merely housing insecure. I'm just pointing out that Mueller has leaned into support for deep housing affordability and welcomed projects that most of Austin would fight against - i.e. Foundation Communities, Rathgeber Village, etc. 

Also notable - When Rathgeber Center opened on Tannehill lane, there was no serious opposition mounted, and many if not most of the people that takes in are squarely in the category at risk of sliding into permanent homelessness. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

37 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i had no idea Mueller has had such success with affordable/low-income housing options! that's outstanding.

25% of all housing in Mueller is programmatically affordable below 80% of MFI. Thats both rentals and owned homes, across all types: condo, SF, townhome, row homes etc.

It's also got a couple of complexes worth of "workforce housing," that is, rentals that are priced to be affordable at ~60% of MFI. So, for example, there are people who work at the Mueller HEB or the Mueller Starbucks, or hourly jobs at Dell Children's who are living in Mueller without direct subsidy. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

You know, it may be the Larry David fan in me talking here but I think I could support a "Spite" party candidate in certain elections.  Somebody you don't really like, or even support, or share policy visions...but you just vote for them to spite the other person.  

The only reason I almost ran for City Council myself was to spite a handful of people on that current dais.  

we've all "almost" ran for city council.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we've all "almost" ran for city council.

Which district?  We should open up a bar together.   

I think mine was pretty close to happening since the outgoing member personally asked me to run with her endorsement and arranged a press conference to make the announcement before I backed out.  Plus, I was blackballed by the chunk of Austin because certain DT posters and Rex Kramer called me part of the liberal cabal  ;)   /csb

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, Pasken said:

She'll come around once the grift hits.

to be fair to crazy-pants Mcgee.........the camping ban began debate two years ago.  What's a few more weeks to debate it more thoroughly?  Preliminary budget outlines show that in 2021, City Council gives all of fuck zero about the root causes of homelessness.  What's the rush?  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

to be fair to crazy-pants Mcgee.........the camping ban began debate two years ago.  What's a few more weeks to debate it more thoroughly?  Preliminary budget outlines show that in 2021, City Council gives all of fuck zero about the root causes of homelessness.  What's the rush?  

You know better than most that "delaying" is just the warm up to cancel something and we see it constantly. What is there to debate? We know we have a homeless issue. What new thing will we learn? The thing that made me hate council from 14-16 was their inability to make hard and possibly unpopular decisions and delaying to avoid that. Nothing is going to change and we are only going to build momentum to shift strategies and it's happening because we are trying to put a homeless facility in fucking west Austin. This town hasn't gotten any less racist.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Pasken said:

The thing that made me hate council from 14-16 was their inability to make hard and possibly unpopular decisions and delaying to avoid that. 

The thing that makes me hate council from 19-21 is their unbridled ability to make idiotic decisions, push them through without any real debate, discourse or dialogue and then ask questions later when the shit doesn't pan out.  And to do so under the assumption that there is a limitless bucket of money to make such idiotic decisions. 

It's a clown fest.  I hope we can all agree upon that.

• Hook 'Em 6

22 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

She better be careful or she's gonna get Jennifer Kim'd

Seems like a modest proposal

already pointed out, but subsidized housing and people living on EBT isn't the same situation as buying a motel and using it as a pseudo arch for transients.  i live within a mile of one of the proposed hotels and petty crime's already been trending upward for the past two years so this makes me wary.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/25/2021 at 11:40 AM, Orange&White said:

Are you saying that fucking council people choose?

So you are upset because the FUCKING COUNCIL PERSON FROM THAT DISTRICT wants a fucking say in where it goes in their district? Or should she just sit back and do whatever the fuck the other council people tell her? Heaven forbid that someone work for the constituents of their district.

As terrible as she is, she is actually just doing her fucking job here, but since it goes against your belief you are trying to make it look bad.

Dang OW, you're tapping that aren't you?

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

already pointed out, but subsidized housing and people living on EBT isn't the same situation as buying a motel and using it as a pseudo arch for transients.  i live within a mile of one of the proposed hotels and petty crime's already been trending upward for the past two years so this makes me wary.  

its just stuff/things that can be replaced. not to worry.

7 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

The thing that makes me hate council from 19-21 is their unbridled ability to make idiotic decisions, push them through without any real debate, discourse or dialogue and then ask questions later when the shit doesn't pan out.  And to do so under the assumption that there is a limitless bucket of money to make such idiotic decisions. 

It's a clown fest.  I hope we can all agree upon that.

well yeah but there is a limitless bucket of money and plenty of sycophants to vote for them. see prop A.   smart assumption on their part.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:27 AM, Orange&White said:

Really? Will there be one in Mueller? Or Tarrytown? Or Pemberton? Circle C?

Who chooses where they go in "every district"?

Wherever there are old hotels for sale.

OW, I understand your concern. I lived with that concern decades ago.

You just might be impressed at how these places operate and  it is possible you will become a supporter. Mostly, these places are for families who are homeless. 

Groups like Community Foundation (or Mobile Loaves) run a pretty tight ship.

There’s an old Hilton, off 35, near St John’s. Also the old Ramada, west of First, off William Cannon. Maybe those examples can offer you more information.

There’s newly developed apartments (presumably on donated land) on Slaughter, within an easy walk of Circle C.

Community Foundation  knows what they are facing, ie homelessness, better than most of us do. Check it out for yourself. Let me know, please, if you come to a different conclusion.

foundcom.org

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Tangent, but is it true that there are only 55 houses for sale under $1M?

First thing we should do is increase property values and property taxes.  That should help toot-sweet!  Is she really this stupid?  

43 minutes ago, Deej said:

Only 55 in the neighborhoods she'd consider acceptable?

56 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Tangent, but is it true that there are only 55 houses for sale under $1M?

holy shit what a fucking idiot.  there is more stupid in this statement than you can possibly imagine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

holy shit what a fucking idiot.  there is more stupid in this statement than you can possibly imagine.

Natasha Harper-Madison is no idiot. She either misspoke or (more likely) Austin Sanders got it wrong, because while there are obviously many more than 55 SF homes for sale under $1 city-wide, there appear to be only about that many in district 1, which she represents. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Natasha Harper-Madison is no idiot. She either misspoke or (more likely) Austin Sanders got it wrong, because while there are obviously many more than 55 SF homes for sale under $1 city-wide, there appear to be only about that many in district 1, which she represents. 

the single family home supply is not the issue for mentally ill and drug addicted homeless people camping under bridges.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the single family home supply is not the issue for mentally ill and drug addicted homeless people camping under bridges.

But what this City Council presupposes is..."what it if was?"  Wildcat, Wildcat.  Okay, I'm gonna go now...

I am amazed that people below the poverty line can live in Austin.  If they own a million dollar house and are poor, man, take the capital gain and enjoy life somewhere else.  If they are renting a million dollar house ... yeah, they aren't renting a million dollar house.

Many people that can't afford where they are living move someplace cheaper.  Sounds crazy but it happens.  They don't just say "Well, I guess I'm homeless."  It sucks for people that can't afford Austin, but many people moving here think it's cheap compared to where they were.

• Hook 'Em 2