Fitlump fucking won an Austin City Council seat

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

"I don't know" seems to permeate your post.   That's okay.   Get in line. 

The city council doesn't have a plan on how this hotel deal is supposed to work and thus the taxpayers don't either.   We've been given no specific idea of the all-in costs involved including renovation expenses, food, and security, what the goals are, turnover forecasts, projections for ins vs. out of the housing, treatment plans, transitional expectations, projected hotel / housing needs for the next 3-5 years and those associated costs, metrics for success / how they will being measured with this type housing.  And on and on. 

After paying 3X of FMV for these hotels and doling out kickbacks to the council, maybe the city of Austin has things nailed and this is the model for handling the homeless issue.  Great.  Then explain the plan so we can understand it.  As of today, you've not explained anything  - #s, goals, forecasts and everything else that a $65MM / year spend should entail, especially one this sensitive and impactful.  As is, there appears to be just (more) maniacal idiocy of throwing shit on the wall and hoping that it sticks.  That works for some and probably for a few of you on this thread.  But it also means you place zero value on accountability and fiscal responsibility and thus you're part of the problem as well. 

No one is discounting how big the homeless problem is. But the city's handling of the issue (no stated plans, no goals, no nothing) is almost as big as the problem itself.  It sure as hell is no way to try and sell it to the people paying for it.  

They have a plan.  Its the same one as San Francisco. If they are going to do it they need to distribute the load they created. It can't just be North/NW Austin/South Austin because there might be affordable hotels there.  they can do it along IH-35 IMO. if the point is to get them shelter and food then who cares if it is along IH-35.

Hotel downtown(maybe the La Quinta), South Austin, find a place in tarrytown,East Austin, North Austin, SW and NW.  They pushed many of them out of downtown to other areas.

they need to reinstate the camping ban asap.  We can't be the safe island for the entire state and the marketing that we are needs to stop.

They need to monitor closely the claims of mentally ill(not giving a shit is not mentally ill, feeling sad/depressed is not mentally ill) and there needs to be some type of policy re: drug use, and it needs to be enforced, NOT enabled. there needs to be a time period at which you get your shit together or you are out of the "Austin" system, not moved to another hotel.  at some people who aren't willing to or can't help themselves need to be moved on.

by no means is being in a tent under a highway "living"

38 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s what I meant too. Thats where they put Community First and it’s exactly where you want to rehouse people if you want it to work.

that may work with 100's.  We have many 1000's due to the city council actions.   IMO, we need to clean house to determine who is really in need.  Its an ugly answer but this city council made their bed with their dumbass decisions.

I have to say, she's been pleasantly boring in her first month.  I figured she's be blaming homelessness on Jewish Space Lasers by now, but she's been...dare I say...somewhat pragmatic?  

10 hours ago, hitbyatrain said:

Just popping in to say that I'm terribly entertained by the city council essentially telling her to go fuck herself in the best way possible. Didn't think the council had it in them. 

The council, this council, voted for another hotel purchase and you were wondering if they had it "in them".    

Stellar observation.  A fence post would be proud. 

Welcome home from Mars. 

Kelly was in a 6-5 vote that created a huge cluster fuck with the may elections. It's hard to explain it all but it's a fucking mess and they are meeting 8pm Friday night to try to fix it but the may charter props are going to be confusing to people and there is a definite possibility we end up with an even number council members. I expected as much from Kitchen, Tovo, Pool, and Kelly but it's disappointing to see Pio and Vanessa joining them. 

10 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Kelly was in a 6-5 vote that created a huge cluster fuck with the may elections. It's hard to explain it all but it's a fucking mess and they are meeting 8pm Friday night to try to fix it but the may charter props are going to be confusing to people and there is a definite possibility we end up with an even number council members. I expected as much from Kitchen, Tovo, Pool, and Kelly but it's disappointing to see Pio and Vanessa joining them. 

So she and a few other Council Members voted against your wishes again and it's a huge problem? Got it. 

Maybe you should just tell them to vote exactly the way you want them to to each time? You know, to make things easier.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

And why did the camping ban language only specifically include areas downtown and around UT? I don't want that shit up where I live the same as those fucks don't want it right outside City Hall.

Because there is a special provision in the peition that people signed that bans siting or lying down on sidewalks downtown and by UT while camping is banned city wide. Next time read the petition.

14 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

So she and a few other Council Members voted against your wishes again and it's a huge problem? Got it. 

Maybe you should just tell them to vote exactly the way you want them to to each time? You know, to make things easier.

God, you're dumb. They are having an emergency meeting to fix the fuck up they made. It has nothing to do with my personal preference. 

Edited by Pasken

Just now, Pasken said:

God, you're dumb. They are having an emergency meeting to fix the fuck up they made. It has nothing to do with my personal preference. 

Eat dick.

The fuckup belongs to the entire Council, not just the people that voted yes. Obviously none of them understood what they were voting on or they would have fixed it or shelved it before the vote. Don't try to blame it only on the people that didn't like your opinion of it.

Just now, Orange&White said:

Eat dick.

The fuckup belongs to the entire Council, not just the people that voted yes. Obviously none of them understood what they were voting on or they would have fixed it or shelved it before the vote. Don't try to blame it only on the people that didn't like your opinion of it.

Wow... That's some grade a nonsense. So we should blame everyone equally including the people who voted against it? That makes sense to you? That's logic? 

26 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Wow... That's some grade a nonsense. So we should blame everyone equally including the people who voted against it? That makes sense to you? That's logic? 

Look, fuckhead...you know damn well that even the members that voted no all agreed that having more representation is better. The reason they voted no is because they didn't want to have to win 60% or 64% to pass something. It was 100% self serving. 

* If this prop fails and strong mayor fails, there is no change.

* If this prop fails the vote and strong mayor passes, you still have no change, still have an uneven number and need only a simple majority.

* If this vote passes and strong mayor passes, it doesn't matter if you have an uneven number because the mayor would have veto power anyway.

* If this prop passes the vote and the strong mayor fails then you have an even number and need to win with a 7-5.

So they just didn't want to end up in a position where they had to win 7-5 to get their way.

So yeah...that makes sense to me and is logical. It's only not logical to you because you have your head so far up Adler's ass you only want exactly what he wants.

Edited by Orange&White

Because there is a special provision in the peition that people signed that bans siting or lying down on sidewalks downtown and by UT while camping is banned city wide. Next time read the petition.

We should have more tolerance for loitering and zero tolerance for overnight camping. And not just for the tourist parts. F that noise.

Is the language very specific on sitting and lying bans? Like blocking entrance ways and designated bike friendly sidewalks.

I’m not down with the “stop being around” or the local sheriff will harass you depending on how you dress or smell or appear. I’ve seen the first Rambo movie.

Tents and bbq pits? Yeah. No.

52 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

* If this prop fails the vote and strong mayor passes, you still have no change, still have an uneven number and need only a simple majority.

What are you talking about? This would create an even number of council members as the mayor would transition off council and into the city manager role and we will have a large number of 5-5 impasses. Also, more districts doesn't create more democracy. It's just more opportunities for special interests and neighborhood groups to assert power in council like they do now over the popular majority of the people.

I'm just in awe of our City Council and Mayor.  

Worst winter cold front in 25 years about to hit Austin for several days on end.  Shouldn't we hearing lots and lots about the City Leaders marshaling resources to protect the homeless from the elements for the next few days?  Nah!!!...we got a fucking Candlewood Suites to go overpay for.  

Somebody, someday tell me where the fuck our priorities are.  What do you think happens to underpass encampments just a few feet from the road when some RWD F-250 slips on some black ice this weekend and hops the curb?  Nevermind the thousands of them that could freeze out there.  Nah, no grift opportunity in that...fuck 'em, right?  

6 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Also, more districts doesn't create more democracy. It's just more opportunities for special interests and neighborhood groups to assert power in council like they do now over the popular majority of the people.

Why do you hate more localized voices? Because they may "assert power" over the council in ways you disapprove of? Like they won't vote in way you want them to?

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Why do you hate more localized voices? Because they may "assert power" over the council in ways you disapprove of? Like they won't vote in way you want them to?

Because they are more susceptible to doing what the loud want as oppose to the many. It's another way that whites in this city are keeping power despite not being a majority of the population. These districts monopolize white political power over what is a much more progressive popular majority in the city. 

We're talking about old, beat to shit antequated motels, right?

The Texas Bungalows were finished in 2017 if I recall

Actually I think the bungalows were finished in 2019. They still look new. I hate how they're valued at 2.5 million and we paid four times that to buy it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I find it weird that they won't allow camping groups larger than one person within 100 yards of a school, but they'll allow a hotel with 50 homeless people in it, largely with no mental illness treatment right next door/across the street from schools.  Curious gambit.  

No, but I know the right attorney to call for that kinda shit.  And yes, Fitlump offered to sleep with him in the beforetimes.  I'll PM you his name if you're interested (levity aside, he's good at this kinda shit for bars/restaurants).  He's the reason there's a half dozen bars across the street from the Texas School for the Deaf even though that's not supposed to ever be allowed, and because of him...the Torchy's down the street by that middle school is not allowed to have a bar even though they built one out on the patio (they fucked around and found out)l 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I'm just in awe of our City Council and Mayor.  

Worst winter cold front in 25 years about to hit Austin for several days on end.  Shouldn't we hearing lots and lots about the City Leaders marshaling resources to protect the homeless from the elements for the next few days?  Nah!!!...we got a fucking Candlewood Suites to go overpay for.  

Somebody, someday tell me where the fuck our priorities are.  What do you think happens to underpass encampments just a few feet from the road when some RWD F-250 slips on some black ice this weekend and hops the curb?  Nevermind the thousands of them that could freeze out there.  Nah, no grift opportunity in that...fuck 'em, right?  

Cross-posting from the weather thread, but yeah--I'm really worried about this, too.  The homeless don't have access to the information to know that they need to get inside.  And they sure as shit don't have the gear to sleep outside in these temperatures.  I'm afraid a lot of of them are going to die if Austin's city government doesn't take serious and concerted action now to get them into shelters.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Cross-posting from the weather thread, but yeah--I'm really worried about this, too.  The homeless don't have access to the information to know that they need to get inside.  And they sure as shit don't have the gear to sleep outside in these temperatures.  I'm afraid a lot of of them are going to die if Austin's city government doesn't take serious and concerted action now to get them into shelters.

More homeless die in LA every year than in NYC for this exact reason, despite the obvious differences in climate.

Palmer Events Center should have nothing go at it right now.  No convention programming, it can easily house a thousand people.  A coordinated CapMetro plan should already be being announced yesterday to get folks to Palmer from the various urban encampments starting Friday and operating thru Tuesday.  It should be all over social media, the Statesman website, City of Austin website, etc.  Immediately divert emergency use funding of $100,000 from the homeless line item of the budget for food ($20/person per day).  Ask for Austinites today, not Saturday, TODAY to drop off other essential supplies and bottled water at one of 10 city-wide depots where they'll be collected and taken to Palmer Events Center for distribution to those staying there for the next several nights.  Setup something similar in North Austin and for the love of Christ, get that news out to the encampments TODAY.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Palmer Events Center should have nothing go at it right now.  No convention programming, it can easily house a thousand people.  A coordinated CapMetro plan should already be being announced yesterday to get folks to Palmer from the various urban encampments starting Friday and operating thru Tuesday.  It should be all over social media, the Statesman website, City of Austin website, etc.  Immediately divert emergency use funding of $100,000 from the homeless line item of the budget for food ($20/person per day).  Ask for Austinites today, not Saturday, TODAY to drop off other essential supplies and bottled water at one of 10 city-wide depots where they'll be collected and taken to Palmer Events Center for distribution to those staying there for the next several nights.  Setup something similar in North Austin and for the love of Christ, get that news out to the encampments TODAY.  

You should be our next city manager.

In all honesty--you ought to call the city manager's office and express this.  Because it's a pretty decent plan.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

What do you think happens to underpass encampments just a few feet from the road when some RWD F-250 slips on some black ice this weekend and hops the curb?  Nevermind the thousands of them that could freeze out there. 

Seems like the problem fixes itself. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I'm jumping in on page 71 so sorry if I missed anything.  Has anyone here slept with Fitlump, enough to wear she would be willing to wave fire code permit for a bar opening?

Pretty sure she sleeps with folks so they do favors for her, not the other way around. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Because they are more susceptible to doing what the loud want as oppose to the many. It's another way that whites in this city are keeping power despite not being a majority of the population. These districts monopolize white political power over what is a much more progressive popular majority in the city. 

It was the same before 10-1. That’s a result of low turnout.