My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Lots of 'interesting' histories out there in the world. You just need to lend an ear and an open mind for what determines whether those histories get told.

No pics, but her resemblance (she was a "handsome" woman) to my half brother's daughter (my elder niece) on my dad's side is uncanny.  She is the reason I know this history.  It's about as interesting as my family tree gets.

And just to get any Armybrat (he may have known her personally) age comparisons out of the way, I'm 46.  I'm a product of my dad (the fertile sexagenarian) and my mom, his second wife, who was 30 years younger than he, and, probably, a glass of scotch.

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

And just to get any Armybrat (he may have known her personally) age comparisons out of the way, I'm 46.  I'm a product of my dad (the fertile sexagenarian) and my mom, his second wife, who was 30 years younger than he, and, probably, a glass of scotch.

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricte

• Haha 1

6bc17146618bda1a1c98c27ba71e4381.jpg
Hey Wulaw, mind if I use your mirror as a scratching post?
Also saw tons of deer, wild horses, antelope and other critters. Saw My Rushmore. No pictures, because, well, y’all seen pictures of that shit before.
Going to worlds largest reptile zoo tomorrow for the boys 8th birthday. South Dakota is a lot prettier than North Dakota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, have I got a story for y’all. Will post tomorrow after I sleep off the road. Cops called on me 3 times. Post later.  With supporting links. 

spacer.png

You tie that donkey to your bumper?  You know what the penalty for animal cruelty is in South Dakota?  It's probably pretty stiff. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok- so lot going on. I think the story is interesting but that just could be because it happened to me...

we are traveling with the dog. Incredibly well behaved. We take her with us whenever we can, when we don’t we crate her (she’s crate trained) and we’ve never had a problem. 
Anyway- yesterday we went to the reptile zoo- the largest reptile zoo in the world. It was the boys birthday- that’s what he wanted to do- so we went out there- 3 or 4 hours was the plan, no problem. 
About an hour and a half in get a call- your dog is barking like crazy and causing havoc  with the other guests (it’s 12:30 so check out is 11:00 and check in is 3:00 it’s a roadside flop house so- you know- maybe they have a guest or two, maybe, in the whole place). 
he tells me it’s illegal to leave a dog in a motel and he’s calling the owner and there will be serious consequences. I tell him we are out and about- 45 minutes away- but we will come back right now. (Side note- I don’t believe this is actual law- and on the pet sheet they made no mention of it as hotel policy. When we specifically looked at Vegas the rule was- dog must be crated if owner isn’t in the room- end side note) 

I tell my wife (and I’m not much of a dog person by the way) I don’t believe him. That dog never goes nuts. I think- at most- there was a bark or two while maid staff was doing the cleaning that happens Between check out and check in. 
Wife calls him 20 minutes later and he’s like- yeah- you need to get back (we already were) or there will be serious consequences. Ok chief. Hold onto your skirt we are coming- we are 10 minutes away. 
We get back- the dog is asleep in the crate. Sure chief- she was ready to tear your shit box flop house down 45 minutes ago, and 10 minutes ago she is still a problem, but right now she’s asleep in her crate. Riiiiiiigjt. 
I should note- at no point in time were either of us anything but apologetic and calm, bc, well, it was like he was threatening the dog and we didn’t want to bring any trouble on ourselves. 
Well, fast forward 3 hours and the boy wants to take the dog out for a walk. The boy is an idiot as any 8 year old adhd kid can tend to be so we send the very responsible 9 year old with him to supervise. 
10 minutes later they come testing into the room, babbling 100 miles and hour and very upset. 
I ask “what the heck is going on” and the 9 year old starts in on a steam of how the boy and dog tore through the lobby, knocked down the trash can and she had to pick it up. Well, the jackass at the front decided to yell at the kids and tell them if they don’t get out right now he’s going to

kick them and their parents out of the place. 
I ask her questions in 2 or 3 different ways and she answers the same way (note- the 8 year old is an idiot, the 9 year old isn’t a liar- and she said stuff that made me believe her- I know my kids). 
I ask her 1 more time as I’m on my way out the door- daddy is going to go talk to that guy- are you sure that’s right?  Yep. 

so- I go down to the desk clerk to have a conversation with him...

Continued in part 2 shortly- this is getting long cat. And I’ve been working on this for 2 hours on my cell phone amongst work and other shit. Back in a minute or 30...

• Hook 'Em 2

So- I get down to the desk and I ask him- form tone- “why did you threaten to evict my kids from the hotel and what makes you think you have the right to yell at them versus telling their parents what’s up. 
he claimed he didn’t. Called my daughter a liar. 
I told him I could tell he was lying by the smarmy look on his face, at which point in time he told me he didn’t threaten to evict my kids but he damn sure was kicking me out. Then the owner started yelling and cussing about my kids (again- I’m sure the 8 year old did whatever they said he did) and I told him I’d leave as soon as I got a refund. 
then he called the cops. 
then the cops showed up and laughed at the guy trying to get me cuffed and stuffed.  Then I kept moving my stuff. 
the cop left. 
I finished losing my stuff (took a video of room before checking out). 
on the way out I called the 9 year old over and told him if he was a big enough man to call her a lot to me he ought to have the decency to call her a lot to her face.  
then he called the cops again as I was on my way out. 
I got to the parking lot and told my wife it was her time to say goodbye. She went in and asked if she needed to sign anything 

him- no

her- you want to walk the room

him- no we will do that when the owner gets back

her- when will that be?

him- you need time leave now

her- just want you to know my husband is an attorney. 
him- so what

her- so you don’t do whatever stupid I can tell is rattling around in that stupid brain of hers

him- pics up the phone-I’m calling the cops 

her- of course you are you are a giant fucking pussy. 
Peace. 

I should have told the story in a funnier way could have done much better, but tired and working. This is my best effort now. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I’m case you think I’m exaggerating behold- the 40 1 star reviews almost all talking about how awful the staff was 

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/serena inn rapid city/entity/CgoI_5e5nvSBheV6EAE/reviews?g2lb=2502548%2C4258168%2C4306835%2C4317915%2C4322823%2C4328159%2C4330862%2C4358983%2C4371335%2C4401769%2C4403882%2C4417925%2C4419364%2C4424916%2C4425793%2C4270859%2C4284970%2C4412693&hl=en&gl=us&un=1&q=serena inn rapid city&rp=EP-XuZ70gYXlejgCQABIAcABAg&ictx=1&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_medium=link&utm_source=htls&hrf=IgNVU0QqFgoHCOQPEAgYHRIHCOQPEAkYBRgHIAI

hotels.com gave me $100 (he was like- wow- that guy was awful- I thought you might be exaggerating- I’m so sorry) and Wells Fargo gonna dispute charges and refund me my money. 
Yikes- what an awful experience. 
the only thing I can think is they are used to catering To budget conscious travelers and have contempt for them. Really ugly. 

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

@Wulaw Horn Your wife. She is a pistol. You married well, I'd want her by my side if we women were ever going to take over the world.

Hang in there and be safe.

They sure do seem to have ramped up the excitement to finish off the week.  I'm not sure the tent is going to survive the blowing off of steam that will occur at the next stop.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m case you think I’m exaggerating behold- the 40 1 star reviews almost all talking about how awful the staff was 

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/serena inn rapid city/entity/CgoI_5e5nvSBheV6EAE/reviews?g2lb=2502548%2C4258168%2C4306835%2C4317915%2C4322823%2C4328159%2C4330862%2C4358983%2C4371335%2C4401769%2C4403882%2C4417925%2C4419364%2C4424916%2C4425793%2C4270859%2C4284970%2C4412693&hl=en&gl=us&un=1&q=serena inn rapid city&rp=EP-XuZ70gYXlejgCQABIAcABAg&ictx=1&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_medium=link&utm_source=htls&hrf=IgNVU0QqFgoHCOQPEAgYHRIHCOQPEAkYBRgHIAI

hotels.com gave me $100 (he was like- wow- that guy was awful- I thought you might be exaggerating- I’m so sorry) and Wells Fargo gonna dispute charges and refund me my money. 
the only thing I can think is they are used to catering To budget conscious travelers and have contempt for them. Really ugly. 

HAHAHA, I've stayed at that place. It was a different name at the time. Still a shit hole. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't know if anyone ever watches "Hotel Impossible," but damn that show is eye-opening.  This one-off hotels/motels can be run by some shady ass motherfuckers.  And then they get into a death spiral where they don't have money to fix it up, bookings drop, so they have less money, until implosion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

I will say that the story has taken a depressing turn since you can opened the RV.  I'd have given up and gone home by now. 

I’m heartbroken. Truly. It was going so well. There were misadventures and stuff that sucked, but it was fun and even the bad stuff wasn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I’m just trying to hold out hope we can stay afloat until Rv gets fixed. 

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m heartbroken. Truly. It was going so well. There were misadventures and stuff that sucked, but it was fun and even the bad stuff wasn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I’m just trying to hold out hope we can stay afloat until Rv gets fixed. 

Just remember, with every new day there's fresh hope:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I don't know if anyone ever watches "Hotel Impossible," but damn that show is eye-opening.  This one-off hotels/motels can be run by some shady ass motherfuckers.  And then they get into a death spiral where they don't have money to fix it up, bookings drop, so they have less money, until implosion.

First thing that I thought of when reading was Anthony Melchiorri would not be pleased.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

the wife is sick.

That donkey Luke Duke's kids petted.  Just sayin'.

/edit: as a source of disease spread, not anything tent related

//hope she is okay.

///post sure is to show up after a search for "donkey related disease spread."

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We are in Yellowstone now so that’s cool. Not Yellowstone but base camp a ways away. La Quinta. Much better set up. Off to do laundry and the wife is sick. It’s bleak. Hoping to rally in the prettiest place in the lower 48. 

Yellowstone is my favorite place in the world. Parents took me there when I was a kid and I was in love. I hope the Mrs. feels better.

Enjoy the nation's flagship national park. She's a beauty. 

And I hope the pooch is okay!

image.png.62aea3b8b9c6b75ba441b6bba9826932.png

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I’m reminded of when Roosta got stiffed out of a paycheck and threw a coke into the lobby of a Cuero fleabag hotel.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Wulaw, you have to keep the fire going. It's a small, burning coal that is almost out, but keep blowing on it. You can get this conflagration raging again!

Don't give up!

Don't Quit Poem by anonymous by billie Great Quotes, Quotes To Live By, Me Quotes, Inspirational Quotes, Inspiring Sayings, Hurt Quotes, Random Quotes, Motivational, Dont Quit Poem

if you want to PM me, I can throw some hotel points your way or something or book you a night in a nicer place. I'm a road warrior who has been more or less grounded since March and my usual trips (Disney/Florida, San Diego) with the family have been cancelled this year. I have a few airline miles/vouchers too if needed to get back to the RV I'm willing to donate, if you promise to keep up that can-do attitude and stay positive!

That is so kind. Thank you. Truly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Good for y’all.

we didn’t see any when we were there a month ago.

some beautiful drives through Custer though.

you still making it to Montana? 

Stayed in Bozeman as base camp for Yellowstone. It’s a ways out (90 miles) but rooms were more reasonable there. 

On 8/21/2020 at 4:56 PM, Scary Stranger said:

I will say that the story has taken a depressing turn since you can opened the RV.  I'd have given up and gone home by now. 

Without a doubt.  @Wulaw Horn it's like you bought a yacht to travel the Caribbean and now you're trying to do it in a canoe.  What's the point in keeping on?  Why not just postpone?  Head home for a couple months while the RV gets good as new, catch your breath financially and pick back up later on.  American adventures will still be there.  Covid will still be there.  The chance to homeschool will still be there.  No shame in that.  Are you just afraid you won't pick it back up where you left off or something?  I appreciated the stubbornness up to a certain point, but now I just don't get it.  Fleabag hotels and miserable travel arrangements sounds...well, miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 1