Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

That he puts priority for all this bullshit chaos in his head, but doesn't have 30 seconds to tweet out condolences or thoughts to the Bush family I think says a lot.  And no the re-tweet he sent out before she passed doesn't cut it.  Just a dumbass unhinged he is.

34 minutes ago, retread said:

The passing of Barbara Bush really brings it home how quickly the America of our parents and grandparents is fading from view. People have it in their mind that the USA is indestructible. It's just not true.

For many Americans, the fading of the America of our parents and grandparents is a positive.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SameSame said:

That he puts priority for all this bullshit chaos in his head, but doesn't have 30 seconds to tweet out condolences or thoughts to the Bush family I think says a lot.  And no the re-tweet he sent out before she passed doesn't cut it.  Just a dumbass unhinged he is.

17 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

I do. Not one politician, but I think we can turn things around over time by electing better people through our existing system.  Maybe I'm naive, but I think we're at the bad end of a long cycle — the last gasp of a backlash to the progress made over the last 50 years.  Women are running for office everywhere.  Young people are engaged for the first time in a long time.  Things look pretty shitty right now, and the next few years will be bad, but I think it's going to get better.

I appreciate your optimism. Hope you are right.

14 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Ah, the Kremlin’s both sides argument. What we’re seeing is that one side - The Republicans - have systematically loaded the Judicial system with activist judges. These judges have ruled in favor of corporate free speech and against campaign finance reform for decades. And, Republican lawmakers refuse to draft or even consider solutions at all phases of government.

While people on both sides profit from the Republicans’ corporate agenda, one side created it. The result is a designed rot of our democracy to the point where all major politicians have to spend an inordinate amount of time fundraising and the ability of individuals, factions and countries to influence American democracy.

Mother-fucking-this. Sure the Ds and Rs may not be as different as two opposing parties in other countries, but there are currently huge differences between them. There have been several studies showing up much the Rs have moved further right, especially since Obama was elected. Saying both parties aren't that different is becoming a tired narrative. I don't particularly like the Democratic party for a variety of reasons, but they are certainly different enough that they have my support while they are moving towards not giving out huge tax breaks to large corporations and start promoting the idea of a medicaid-for-all/single payer healthcare system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/02/28/since-2008-nearly-every-state-moved-right-in-both-presidential-and-state-politics/?utm_term=.9d746b380815

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/02/this-astonishing-chart-shows-how-republicans-are-an-endangered-species/?utm_term=.be482e3142a5

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2012/04/10/150349438/gops-rightward-shift-higher-polarization-fills-political-scientist-with-dread

That last article is from 2012, keep that in mind

21 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Say what you will about typical politicians lying, dissembling, spinning, but never in modern memory has it been so bad, so bald-faced, so shameless, and so widespread among a major political party.   This is the kind of shit you see in tinpot dictatorships and wonder how they can say these things with a straight face.  But these are the people currently in charge of our country. 

I'm just waiting for him to return from Mar-a-Lago after carding 18 hole-in-ones

The passing of Barbara Bush really brings it home how quickly the America of our parents and grandparents is fading from view. People have it in their mind that the USA is indestructible. It's just not true.

I’m pretty sure it’s the olds causing the destruction, so...
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Based on long term damage to the country, W Bush has him beaten by a mile.  

Yes, to this point W has been far more disastrous. However, I fear Trump's incompetence may eventually fuck us over worse in the end.

Trump making long term economic decisions for the United States.

7fxX.gif

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm not. My biggest issue with the WWII generation is its racism coupled with its widespread resistance to the civil rights movement.

Yeah fuck those old people who were a product of their time.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

8 years to 1, dude.

At this point in his administration, W had us well on our way to Iraq with no real idea about how to get us out and we're dealing with the ramifications of that to this day.  We forget but Trump didn't happen in a vacuum.  People were angry about how the 2000's turned out and W was the primary driver for that.

All Trump has done from a policy standpoint has been the tax cuts and nomination Gorsuch, who might as well be Merrick Garland.  Everything else Trump has done can be reversed almost instantly from the next President.

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lurch said:

The gutting of experience from the executive branch will take decades to repair.

It'll last until 2020 when a Democrat takes office and brings in all of the people from Obama's administration.  There are plenty of qualified Republicans, too, in the event another Republican gets elected again.  They just want nothing to do with Trump.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It'll last until 2020 when a Democrat takes office and brings in all of the people from Obama's administration.  There are plenty of qualified Republicans, too, in the event another Republican gets elected again.  They just want nothing to do with Trump.

This is my thinking as well. It's not as if previous WH officials are living in a cave on Tatooine and we lost our knowledge of governing.

7 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Dotard going off this morning. First public shot at Stormy?

Is anyone else now 100% convinced that DJT's peeps sent a threat to Stormy now that DJT felt the need to publicly respond to this?

It seems as though everything he's publicly denied or dismissed as "fake news" has turned out to be true.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

No. No. No. No.  Enough with the "both sides" B.S. 

Remind me the last time Democrats tried to gut medicare and SS, gut the EPA, gut education, and basically shit on every program that helps the middle class while giving handouts to the rich.  Remind me again how Democrats killed net neutrality and abandoned slaying the seedy pay loan industry.  Reminds me how Democrats rallied around Citizens United.  The two parties clearly have VERY different priorities and agendas.  No, they are not "mostly the same on big issues."  

I'll give you that Democrats tend to give lip service to being against wars while ultimately being too hawkish, but other than that I'd love to see a list of issues they vote lockstep with Republicans on.  Oh, wait, I found a picture of that list.

latest?cb=20120530080101

Sorry, I wish there was a difference, but if there is, it's small.  If you notice, things have been trending in a particular direction, and that trend has only, if anything, just slowed a bit during the (admittedly brief) recent periods when the Ds have had control of one or more houses of Congress.  Obama did nothing end our imperial wars in the Middle East, for ex.  There may well be individual Ds that have principles and speak out against tax cuts for the rich and increased defense spending, but other Ds vote for those things and they still happen.  If you think the Ds aren't the GOP lite now, you aren't paying attention.  Hillary is about as conservative as Nixon, again, if you leave aside social issues.  Funny pictures don't change that.  

2 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Sorry, I wish there was a difference, but if there is, it's small.  If you notice, things have been trending in a particular direction, and that trend has only, if anything, just slowed a bit during the (admittedly brief) recent periods when the Ds have had control of one or more houses of Congress.  Obama did nothing end our imperial wars in the Middle East, for ex.  There may well be individual Ds that have principles and speak out against tax cuts for the rich and increased defense spending, but other Ds vote for those things and they still happen.  If you think the Ds aren't the GOP lite now, you aren't paying attention.  Hillary is about as conservative as Nixon, again, if you leave aside social issues.  Funny pictures don't change that.  

I forget, which Democrats voted for the most recent tax cut legislation? 

4 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Sorry, that's just damage control.  The Dems can rightly be criticized for a variety of things, but the gulf between them and the 'pubs is vast.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sorry, that's just damage control.  The Dems can rightly be criticized for a variety of things, but the gulf between them and the 'pubs is vast.

It's only vast in the perspective of current American politics.  In comparison to the range of political positions you see in other developed nations around the world, our "left" party is quite conservative.

Edited by Dirk X West

Just now, David Dennison said:

I forget. How many Democrats in the Senate voted to confirm Gorsuch?

Look, right now, the Ds no the can vote in lockstep against the Rs as their strategy is to be 100% anti-Trump.  I get it. This still doesn't change the overall trends, and it really makes no difference as to what actually happens.

While I hope that’s true, I’m not optimistic. They’ve found other jobs (likely more lucrative than being a civil servant) and in 3 more years their lives will be in very different places, like any of us. Plus, they will be 3-4 years out of the loop on sensitive international affairs, changing laws and precedent, and major events that shape their thinking. I know the mouth breathers think that draining the swamp is beneficial, but as any of us in the real world know, domain knowledge is often unteachable and extremely valuable. We’re currently, intentionally, pissing that all away.

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

This is my thinking as well. It's not as if previous WH officials are living in a cave on Tatooine and we lost our knowledge of governing.

We haven't lost hardly any of the people who execute policy either even though Trump would like to make big cuts.  It isn't like the EPA has had wholesale layoffs.  And it isn't like Pruitt, or McCarthy before him, are the ones who show up when a company dumps lead in your river.  The only difference now is that agents are being paid to twiddle their thumbs.  In 2020, I'm sure they'll remember how to put the hammer down.

And just because Zinke wants to sell off National Parks to the highest bidder, that doesn't mean that the park rangers who are still employed by the NPS suddenly dropped their ideals too.

Just now, Dirk X West said:

Look, right now, the Ds no the can vote in lockstep against the Rs as their strategy is to be 100% anti-Trump.  I get it. This still doesn't change the overall trends, and it really makes no difference as to what actually happens.

People like you are the reason we have Donald Trump as president.

With the Clinton machine no longer in the way, I could see someone like Gillibrand winning the Dem nom in 2020 on a platform that includes some social democratic features (jobs guarantee being one).  Who knows if that ever turns into policy though.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Ok.  What about the policies of the current Democrat party do you find to be characteristically left?

Your attempt to cast current D perspective in light of the world view is distracting.  What matters is where they are relative to the opposition RIGHT NOW.

Never mind that the average Republican would have us believe all Democrats are Communists.  

The parties' stated positions are not that far apart. But there is a vast gulf in the behavior of the current leadership of the parties. One party is the party of gleeful and purposeful ignorance, treason, fear mongering, racism, sexism, rampant corruption, disrespect for the rule of law including the Constitution, and maliciousness