OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This isn't Shane Beamer-level good news, but this is fucking awesome. Castiglione trying to catch lightning in the coordinator bottle for a third consecutive time and I don't fucking see it on this one.

Same. Honestly shocked they went for the coordinator route again

Just now, texifornia said:

And a DC to boot. He needs to hire an all-star spread OC tomorrow or half that roster/recruiting class are gone.

Fully expect them to land Jeff Lebby and have it announced within the next day or two. Just how this shit seems to work. I think we can kiss any shot at leeching their defensive talent goodbye but overall I'm happy with this. Far better than had they brought on Cristobal or god fucking forbid Rhule (who I still fully expect ends up at LSU). 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Fully expect them to land Jeff Lebby and have it announced within the next day or two. Just how this shit seems to work. I think we can kiss any shot at leeching their defensive talent goodbye but overall I'm happy with this. Far better than had they brought on Cristobal or god fucking forbid Rhule (who I still fully expect ends up at LSU). 

Pretty close to best case scenario for me but hey maybe BV can prove me wrong. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

the idea of his daughters growing up and dating dudes from oklahoma skeered the fuck out of him. can't blame the guy.

Belly tattoo on surfer abs > belly tattoo on Pabst belly. 

Getting left for another woman (or man) > leaving the dude for spousal abuse.

Dude with frosted tips wearing a visor & sandals > dude with frosted tips wearing a visor & nikes. 

Chicks have really poor options. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit

Just now, turtlepond said:

Castiglione, even with a supposedly empty coffer, still pulled that together damned quick. 

He still looks terrible. 

Blindsided by the Riley move and lost one of the top coaches in the country for a defensive coordinator with no head coaching experience. Maybe OU hits on their 3rd coordinator in a row but at some point that luck will run out if you keep hiring coaches with no experience. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

A defensive coordinator with no HC experience and an OC that didn't call plays (Heupel called the plays at UCF and Lane calls them at Ole Miss).  Oh, and the OC is a Briles enabler/supporter/apologist.

Yeah, what am I missing here on Lebby? 

None of those were his offenses at UCF or Ole Miss. He was an OC under two legit offensive minded coaches. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This isn't Shane Beamer-level good news, but this is fucking awesome. Castiglione trying to catch lightning in the coordinator bottle for a third consecutive time and I don't fucking see it on this one.

Maybe. It's FAR better than Beamer. I guess for me it also depends heavily on the OC and more so the rest of his staff. Looks like he's bringing Lebby on board as his OC, so I think they are going to be pretty solid if unspectacular over there and able to keep a lot of guys that are hitting the portal right now. They are going to improve the S&C side of things because you can't be worse than Wylie. I can see the recruiting sell being "we are getting ready for the SEC. Big boy football. We're going to be more physical than Riley was but we are still going to be innovative on offense (See here example ___Lebby)." They are going to recruit the tough vs. soft angle against Sarkisian/Texas and the innovative side vs. Jimbo/aggy.  it doesn't mean it will work and it doesn't mean that they will be as good as they are under Riley week-to-week but it does remove a ceiling that Riley's org has put on the team in terms of defensive reps and physicality. I think each season they were removed from Stoops that OU was a step further away from winning a title, regardless of the regular season win total - continuing to get further and further removed from being physical and developing guys across the roster. 

What I do know with certainty is fuck OU. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

A defensive coordinator with no HC experience and an OC that didn't call plays (Heupel called the plays at UCF and Lane calls them at Ole Miss).  Oh, and the OC is a Briles enabler/supporter/apologist.

Yeah, that's wrong.  Lebby calls plays.  That's his show at Ole Miss despite what Lane likes people to think.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, that's wrong.  Lebby calls plays.  That's his show at Ole Miss despite what Lane likes people to think.

Lebby calls plays but it’s still Lanes offense. He hasn’t demonstrated the ability to build his own offense yet

Just now, Skipper said:

I don't think there's any doubt Lebby is calling plays but that doesn't mean it's his offense. Kiffin said from the start he was surrendering play calling duties but was going to be heavily involved in the offensive install/scheme. 

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Maybe. It's FAR better than Beamer. I guess for me it also depends heavily on the OC and more so the rest of his staff. Looks like he's bringing Lebby on board as his OC, so I think they are going to be pretty solid if unspectacular over there and able to keep a lot of guys that are hitting the portal right now. They are going to improve the S&C side of things because you can't be worse than Wylie. I can see the recruiting sell being "we are getting ready for the SEC. Big boy football. We're going to be more physical than Riley was but we are still going to be innovative on offense (See here example ___Lebby)." They are going to recruit the tough vs. soft angle against Sarkisian/Texas and the innovative side vs. Jimbo/aggy.  it doesn't mean it will work and it doesn't mean that they will be as good as they are under Riley week-to-week but it does remove a ceiling that Riley's org has put on the team in terms of defensive reps and physicality. I think each season they were removed from Stoops that OU was a step further away from winning a title, regardless of the regular season win total - continuing to get further and further removed from being physical and developing guys across the roster. 

What I do know with certainty is fuck OU. 

No offense, but if you are looking at this hire as potentially better overall for OU than Riley, you need to take a break, sit the next few months out but working on the lawn or something, and then regroup and come back to try again. It isn't Beamer-bad, but it's not a great hire, it has a ton of risk on it, and the OU program is far worse off today than it was 48 hours ago. 

The gap between "we run a badass offense that will put points up on anyone and put guys in the pros" and "we're going to score points maybe and throw deep while enabling a lot of white girl rape" is pretty fucking wide. Defensively, if Venables doesn't bring in a DC, he's in deep shit. Staffing-wise, Swinney's not going to let him raid Clemson and Venables hasn't been thinking like a HC with a rolodex and sizing assistants up for years, as he wasn't thinking about a HC role until taking a phone call around 5pm last night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think there's any doubt Lebby is calling plays but that doesn't mean it's his offense. Kiffin said from the start he was surrendering play calling duties but was going to be heavily involved in the offensive install/scheme. 

It's a hybrid.   In any event if he has any success it's probably a 1 year rental.  He almost got the UCF job last year and has been in running for multiple openings this year.  Hear things indirectly in coaching circles.  But it's a pretty solid stabilizing hire for now.  He will either keep Williams or Dillon Gabriel will follow him.   Best thing would be for him to be named OC, someone hire Lane and Ole Miss hire Lebby eve of signing day.  One can dream.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No offense, but if you are looking at this hire as potentially better overall for OU than Riley, you need to take a break, sit the next few months out but working on the lawn or something, and then regroup and come back to try again. It isn't Beamer-bad, but it's not a great hire, it has a ton of risk on it, and the OU program is far worse off today than it was 48 hours ago. 

The gap between "we run a badass offense that will put points up on anyone and put guys in the pros" and "we're going to score points maybe and throw deep while enabling a lot of white girl rape" is pretty fucking wide. Defensively, if Venables doesn't bring in a DC, he's in deep shit. Staffing-wise, Swinney's not going to let him raid Clemson and Venables hasn't been thinking like a HC with a rolodex and sizing assistants up for years, as he wasn't thinking about a HC role until taking a phone call around 5pm last night.

This was my thought too. His staff hires are going to be really interesting because he has had zero time to have any backchannel discussions with potential additions. I highly doubt that the prospects of Venables as a HC are going to be better than staying with Dabo for the Clemson coaches. If he tries to go too fast to fill out a staff without really vetting guys, that could be a trainwreck in it's own right. If he goes too slow, the signing day for this class will pass him by with too many unknowns.  

Edited by Vertigo

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Are you saying Kiffin voluntarily took a demotion?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not. What I am saying is that I think there was a 0% chance that Riley was ever going to win a national title at OU and that chance was only getting smaller year-over-year. 

Beyond that I simply considered how BV will recruit to attempt to stop the massive bleeding.  With their entire roster in the portal they've got to try to get some of them to stay and perhaps land a few guys in the 2022 class. I do expect BV to have a much more physical football team and I expect them to be better via S&C though. Even if they fucking suck sans Riley. 

14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It's a hybrid.   In any event if he has any success it's probably a 1 year rental.  He almost got the UCF job last year and has been in running for multiple openings this year.  Hear things indirectly in coaching circles.  But it's a pretty solid stabilizing hire for now.  He will either keep Williams or Dillon Gabriel will follow him.   Best thing would be for him to be named OC, someone hire Lane and Ole Miss hire Lebby eve of signing day.  One can dream.

OU hiring Kiffin would have been much better than this route. 

Granted, no clue if Kiffin would have taken the job. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

OU hiring Kiffin would have been much better than this route. 

Granted, no clue if Kiffin would have taken the job. 

From what I hear Kiffin is definitely interested in upgrading.  Not getting the offers.  Joe C would have never hired Kiffin.  I would have been shocked.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, turtlepond said:

Castiglione, even with a supposedly empty coffer, still pulled that together damned quick. 

He knew on Saturday before the OSU game that Riley was leaving. He wasn't surprised by yesterday. Besides he had to act quickly because the 2022 class has fallen apart and we were already starting to see players portaling.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

According to other threads, no new coach was announced. Why is everyone still assuming it's Venables? 

Because people jump to conclusions….   People were say Venables was there and about to be announced 16 hours after Riley told the school he was leaving, which made 0 sense.  They just announced Stoops as interim, that’s it. 

10 hours ago, golfclap said:

Murray is terrible as a RB coach and the inability to develop even one RB who can pass block combined with a FR QB holding the ball too long saw clean pockets give up sacks. 

We talked about this while it was happening but Riley is a Leach disciple and loves those HUGE OL guys. BB would've never offered a guy like Darrell Simpson in the pre-Riley days. Even with his 5* rating I have doubts about him pursuing Brey Walker in that same class. Just not the kind of OL guy that Bedenbaugh wants. He's always targeted guys with good lateral quickness, hence the strength of their OL in the counter game and the ability to scoop the backside and gain a numbers advantage. It's just two guys not on the same page, imo. 

It also matters that Wiley took over for Schmidt. Schmidt is a cockface but knows what he's doing, while Wiley is one of the worst S&C in p5. 

Yeah, I remember the discussions. Someone else was asking. I think we largely agree.

Bendenbaugh is a Leach disciple also. Bill played for Leach and also coached on his staff at Tech while Riley was there so I don't think it's just one has Leach influence and the other doesn't. The interesting thing is that there are guys that fit the mold of the early Bedenbaugh lines at OU (Nate Anderson, eg) that don't seem to be getting any run.

OL portaling out would be a massive loss because of low OL numbers last year and likely low recruiting numbers this year.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Theo Wease is in the portal. 

Lord, what a mess but this shit is enjoyable. 

All 3 of the 2019 5-star WR recruits are now gone. Wease had 45 catches for 666 yds. Haselwood had 23 for 337 yds. These are the career stats for both players. Neither displayed great separation ability or hands. Haselwood was a good down-field blocker. Best of luck to them both.

The only two OU receivers that are important to keep are Mims and Mario Williams. I hope they stay.

I'm really baffled as to why people consider Dennis Simmons a top flight WR coach at this point. His success early, Shepard (who was good pre-Simmons), Westbrook, Brown, Lamb, has been tempered by disappointment over the last two years. The uneven recruiting has left OU with depth issues in the WR room.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, quigley said:

Yeah, I remember the discussions. Someone else was asking. I think we largely agree.

Bendenbaugh is a Leach disciple also. Bill played for Leach and also coached on his staff at Tech while Riley was there so I don't think it's just one has Leach influence and the other doesn't. The interesting thing is that there are guys that fit the mold of the early Bedenbaugh lines at OU (Nate Anderson, eg) that don't seem to be getting any run.

OL portaling out would be a massive loss because of low OL numbers last year and likely low recruiting numbers this year.

@golfclap

OU's scrubbed Riley, Simmons, Grinch, and football operations director Clarke Stroud from the university webpage. Bob Stoops has been added as interim coach.

Interestingly, Bedenbaugh is still on the OU website. Bedenbaugh came to OU before Riley, and Bedenbaugh's wife is from Oklahoma. Maybe he stays for now and sees who the new head coach will be. Maybe we'll learn if OU's declining run game efficiency is due to Riley or Bedenbaugh. If Bedenbaugh leaves, OU should target Sherrone Moore, former OU OL and current Michigan OL coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

@quigley
I wonder if BV will make a run at trying to get Schmidt back? Any rumors around that? 

Don't know who they'll get for S&C. I know Schmidt was Stoops guy, but I don't know if BV had similar feelings.

Related question about Wiley. I was dubious about Wiley for early on based on the negative feelings about him on this board, but OU's strength and conditioning seems to have been OK with him. Specifically, OL and DL had very few injuries. I disagree with the strategy of larding guys up on the OL, but he seemed to do it. The DL wanted to get quicker, and they seemed to do that.

Why is Wiley bad? Could Wiley have improved between his UT and OU tenure?