2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're going to assume he is going to slide to send a runner in a risky situation to score a run to make it 5-3? No way. 

The right decision was made. He wouldn't have been sent even if he tagged. 

With that the 2nd out and another inning to play?  Yeah.  And only after he left his feet.  If he catches on the run and keeps his feet I wouldn't.

Edited by WBT

5 runs in three games will rarely get it done. Kinda late in the game to decide to start scoring....but I’d be fine if they did just now....

Yeaaa it has no signs of getting better.

If you haven’t figured it out by now at end of their rotation, then it’s not gona happen.

Look...if we were losing shootouts 7-5, 8-7, etc, and had the firepower like last series.....then I would say we have hope of 4 in a row. But they are fukin lost right now. Fukin sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

2004 red sox

2020 astros

...or get swept and end up 34-36.

Don't think either one. Rays play tense and with expectations tomorrow.  The Astros play loose and win comfortably. Then in game 5, the Astros finally win a game like games 1 through 3. Rays close it out in game 6 in a similar game. 

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

26 other fan bases are watching someone else’s team keep playing.  I’m going to enjoy watching my team for at least one more day.  One more day of Springer and Brantley as Astros.  One more opportunity for some Correa postseason magic.  

Exactly.  After all the injuries and streaky crappy hitting or pitching in the first 60, this team ended up overperforming in the offseason.  Plus Crane and Click had written the season off by the trade(less) deadline, and yet here we are in the ALCS.  A post-season that disproved a lot of the haters' bullcrap talking points about they can't hit when they don't know what's coming.

We may be one loss away from joining the Yankees, A's, Rangers, Nats, and Bauer (and right now 50-50 the Dodgers) in the watch the WS from home hell, but we'll be the only ones laughing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

So- this team and version of the Astros don’t deserve any Eulogy or the like, but the era sure as shit does. This is maybe the best era the franchise will ever have and it ends today, tomorrow or sometime soon. 
I’m going to be very sad when I go to opening day and see no JV or Springer (feel like they might try to bring back Brantley) and maybe no Correa (wouldn’t be shocked to see him traded in the offseason) and realize that this greatest of all eras is over for good. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

With the young talent at pitching, why would they go scorched earth off payroll and not bring any of their position players back?

can’t say I agree with that mindset

Crane doesn’t seem like a half measure kind of guy to me. Maybe I’m wrong about Correa, but this team doesn’t seem like a Legit WS team next year without JV, Osuna and Springer (when have we ever paid the highest bid for the best player on the market) and Correa isn’t likely to extend for a long time. They will at least look at moving him I bet. 
As a season ticket holder hope I’m wrong, obviously. 

If you know you’re not resigning springer and about to lose him and get a compensatory pick(or would we not get one at all?) and I think we all know the same approach will be with Correa and bregman would click and crane trade them to get as many prospects and draft picks as you can for the quick turn around? 

I know we have die hards that will say no but just thinking ahead and wondering what the best franchise move would be? If we want to keep them all then keep springer first and that might keep others around long term.

If you know you’re not resigning springer and about to lose him and get a compensatory pick(or would we not get one at all?) and I think we all know the same approach will be with Correa and bregman would click and crane trade them to get as many prospects and draft picks as you can for the quick turn around? 

I know we have die hards that will say no but just thinking ahead and wondering what the best franchise move would be? If we want to keep them all then keep springer first and that might keep others around long term.
Bregman is locked up for few more years.

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:
6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Read more  

Bregman is locked up for few more years.

Yea I mean trading him in advance to his contract expiring and not waiting till it does only to lose him for nothing. Not saying we will but is a fire sale out of the question? If crane is committed to keeping us competitive in the winter and going after more bullpen help then I’m fine with keeping guys but not if he isn’t gonna do anything. 

I hope click can draft and find talent like lunhow did.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Maybe. I’m just spit balling is all. What are the odds crane spends this winter? Just curious what the expert insiders on here have heard or seen?

I think the odds are good.  He might have considered a fire sale if none of the young pitchers worked out, but they did.  So why would he throw away a team that can contend next year?  When we already know he is a guy that isn't afraid to spend a shit ton of money on one extra piece of the puzzle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Fire sale?  I'd put over/under on division titles the next 3 years at 1.5.

Sure. But they can do that without signing springer. Probably even while trading Correa. But you’ve got to get back solid mid level players and hope that Altuve and Bregman and Yordan and tucker do their thing and the bullpen and rotation improve. But you go into the playoffs then as dogs to a team like the yanks instead of favorites like the last 3 years. 

I was on the “end of an era” bus after the JV TJ news, but the youngsters on the staff have really stepped up.  We are one or two pieces away from being right back in it next year.  I think Crane might push for at least one more year.   But if the team stumbles early next year, Correa will be a mid-season trade.   I don’t think he’ll be traded this off-season when there’s a chance the team could be good next year.