Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

clapclapclap

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Being a piece of shit traitor athlete is a little different than being a piece of shit politician who can enact policy and pardon murderers because they’re on the right team.  I blame the tree branch for not finishing the job.

I was willing to give someone else a chance on this to absorb some levity.

Bad audience. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Hard to chuckle when the GQP is literally legalizing murder of their political opponents. We’re in the end game now.

Chuckling about anything, on Surly? Dear lord. You've been on this board awhile I'm sure.

Sometimes it gets to that. I gave up a long time ago trying to rationalize and / or justify anything scumbag politicians do, of any persuasion. This is just another exhibit. I get what you're saying but at some point you throw up your hands and give up. I'll try and return to being serious if that's possible given the last 6 hours. 

I don't follow much media in this town, it's all over the place and borders on stupidity in many cases, ranging from the Chronicle, to KLBJ AM to the Statesman and everywhere in between. Ed Clements is considered a go-to source in this town, it's that bad.

I do follow and trust Tony Plohetski. You all should all know and follow him if you're interested in outstanding investigative reporting. He's the best journalist in the city and one of the best in the country. When Plohetskii holds court, it normally merits one's attention. 

Interesting analysis on the Perry case with a couple of high profiles in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I was willing to give someone else a chance on this to absorb some levity.

Bad audience. 

If you can’t recognize the hypocrisy at play here you are a dishonest actor.  That’s your best case scenario.  Your worst case scenario is that you are trading fist bumps with your buddies celebrating Abbott’s announcement.  

18 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If you can’t recognize the hypocrisy at play here you are a dishonest actor.  That’s your best case scenario.  Your worst case scenario is that you are trading fist bumps with your buddies celebrating Abbott’s announcement.  

If you're incapable of looking at what I said above then I'll reiterate it - Abbott is sinking to a new low by ignoring what the jury found in this case. He's embarrassing.  

Someone said Abbott was the worst Texan ever. I said it was Mayfield. If you're attaching any seriousness toward a post comparing an irrelevant football player to a mind-numbing governor of this state then there is only so much hand holding I can do. It was a joke. Move on. 

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He as shot because he showed up to a protest with a weapon of war slung over his shoulder. 

He was fucking idiot, not a hero.

He was shot because we have had a problem with racism for years and racists finally had a reason to feel empowered enough to go to protests looking to find a reason to murder someone. Yet you have made it abundantly clear that you favor the sorts of laws that would disproportionately disarm minorities so that stuff like this will only get worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

He was shot because we have had a problem with racism for years and racists finally had a reason to feel empowered enough to go to protests looking to find a reason to murder someone. Yet you have made it abundantly clear that you favor the sorts of laws that would disproportionately disarm minorities so that stuff like this will only get worse.

For fuck’s sake, man.

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Chuckling about anything, on Surly? Dear lord. You've been on this board awhile I'm sure.

Sometimes it gets to that. I gave up a long time ago trying to rationalize and / or justify anything scumbag politicians do, of any persuasion. This is just another exhibit. I get what you're saying but at some point you throw up your hands and give up. I'll try and return to being serious if that's possible given the last 6 hours. 

I don't follow much media in this town, it's all over the place and borders on stupidity in many cases, ranging from the Chronicle, to KLBJ AM to the Statesman and everywhere in between. Ed Clements is considered a go-to source in this town, it's that bad.

I do follow and trust Tony Plohetski. You all should all know and follow him if you're interested in outstanding investigative reporting. He's the best journalist in the city and one of the best in the country. When Plohetskii holds court, it normally merits one's attention. 

Interesting analysis on the Perry case with a couple of high profiles in Austin. 

Thanks for posting. Also agreed he's a damn good reporter, but I might be biased because I was interviewed by him for a local story about 20 years when he was a cub reporter for the Statesman, and he didn't misquote me or garble the message.

Couple of tweets from him trying about contacting the governor's office:

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Thanks for posting. Also agreed he's a damn good reporter, but I might be biased because I was interviewed by him for a local story about 20 years when he was a cub reporter for the Statesman, and he didn't misquote me or garble the message.

Couple of tweets from him trying about contacting the governor's office:

Plohetski really earned his skins in 2018 covering the Austin bomber. Outstanding reporting.

He's moving more and more from the Statesman to KVUE (both Gannett-owned) which probably makes sense given the inevitable death of the newspaper business. Plus he'll ultimately be more marketable on the television side. I think Plohetski will be a big presence in the national media at some point. 

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Like 1

Hey [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention], care to weigh-in here since you believe that carrying a weapon de-escalates conflict? 

Sure. Out of the 4,000,000 instances that day of people coming in to contact with each other while packing heat across America, this one ended in tragedy.

I probably came across 4-5 people carrying today and we had no shootouts.

I’ve been in situations where if I wasn’t carrying I would definitely had responded differently to the situation. But I was, and I excused myself from what was going on. Nothing violent or criminal, just not wanting to engage someone/something that wasn’t worth it. That’s not why I carry.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Sure. Out of the 4,000,000 instances that day of people coming in to contact with each other while packing heat across America, this one ended in tragedy.

I’ve been in situations where if I wasn’t carrying I would definitely had responded differently to the situation. But I was, and I excused myself from what was going on. Nothing violent or criminal, just not wanting to engage someone/something that wasn’t worth it. That’s not why I carry.

What if, and I know this is crazy, people didn't have guns. Would you feel a need to pack heat?

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

You're a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Out of the trillions upon trillions of interactions each day between Americans, 321 people are shot*. All because a gun was introduced into the equation. You carry because of an irrational fear. 

*https://www.bradyunited.org/key-statistics

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2021 at 4:15 PM, Homesickhorn said:

I’ll quote this comment because it’s absolutely true. The posted pic during the incident by the car has him (and his friend, the custom AK-47) in a low-ready position. Absolutely, positively, 100% different than the position in the photo Gourmand posted.
He (probably) walked towards the vehicle in the position in Gourmand’s pic, and when he was able to part the crowd because he was the dude with the firearm, switched to low ready. Again, I will say that I’m not cool with him dying. But a soldier, behind the windshield of a vehicle already being pounded on, sees people moving aside, for a man walking towards him traversing his weapon into low-ready, I’m afraid that all bets are off for AK guy. It’s extremely hard to explain, but there are many on here that know what I’m talking about.
Still shots mean jack shit in this case. Put a go pro on both of their heads and watch it in real time. Then ask yourself what you would’ve done.

I think this is a reasonable take.  If a bunch of people are banging on my car and part ways for a big masked dude with an AK, I’m worried.  If Perry was out to harm, why didn’t he run over the protestors?  Not saying he wasn’t but why didn’t he?

• Hook 'Em 4

“People coming into contact with each other” isn’t the correct pool of encounters. The correct pool is “confrontations and/or reasonable opportunities for confrontations.”
It’s not about gun guy 1 parking on aisle A at HEB and gun guy 2 parking in Aisle B and walking in the store at the same time. It’s about when gun guy 1 “steals” gun guy 2’s parking space. Or bumps him with his grocery cart. Or blocks the aisle while he waits for his wife to come out.
And, even if the presence of a deadly weapon meant that there was some marginally lower chance of a confrontation escalating, it ALSO means that, for the people who are MORE likely to escalate…it escalates into a deadly confrontation instead of just an argument/fight.
I don’t carry a gun not just because I’m not a cowardly pussy who has been conditioned by Fox News to believe that MS-13 is hiding under my car at HEB, but also because I know that not having a gun on me causes me to evaluate my tools completely differently. There is zero option for me to lose my temper and escalate shit while thinking “and it’s ok if it really gets ramped up, because I’ve got a Sig on my hip.” I avoid conflict. I de-escalate.
For fuck’s sake, I have counter-protested actual armed real Nazis. They approached me from behind and tried to start shit, told me to turn around and argue. I refused. I stayed stock still, holding my sign, facing away from them. I gave them zero reason or excuse to escalate the situation with violence. I was conspicuously unarmed. They wanted a fight….but they had to have SOME provocation or excuse. I gave them none. And yes, I had some level of fear at that exact moment.
Our worship of guns as the solution to every fucking problem is literally suicidal. Other countries don’t do this. Other countries don’t stack up their citizens’ bodies like we do. Only a madman would look at our way of doing things and say “yep, that’s the right way.”
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

“People coming into contact with each other” isn’t the correct pool of encounters. The correct pool is “confrontations and/or reasonable opportunities for confrontations.”
It’s not about gun guy 1 parking on aisle A at HEB and gun guy 2 parking in Aisle B and walking in the store at the same time. It’s about when gun guy 1 “steals” gun guy 2’s parking space. Or bumps him with his grocery cart. Or blocks the aisle while he waits for his wife to come out.
And, even if the presence of a deadly weapon meant that there was some marginally lower chance of a confrontation escalating, it ALSO means that, for the people who are MORE likely to escalate…it escalates into a deadly confrontation instead of just an argument/fight.
I don’t carry a gun not just because I’m not a cowardly pussy who has been conditioned by Fox News to believe that MS-13 is hiding under my car at HEB, but also because I know that not having a gun on me causes me to evaluate my tools completely differently. There is zero option for me to lose my temper and escalate shit while thinking “and it’s ok if it really gets ramped up, because I’ve got a Sig on my hip.” I avoid conflict. I de-escalate.
For fuck’s sake, I have counter-protested actual armed real Nazis. They approached me from behind and tried to start shit, told me to turn around and argue. I refused. I stayed stock still, holding my sign, facing away from them. I gave them zero reason or excuse to escalate the situation with violence. I was conspicuously unarmed. They wanted a fight….but they had to have SOME provocation or excuse. I gave them none. And yes, I had some level of fear at that exact moment.
Our worship of guns as the solution to every fucking problem is literally suicidal. Other countries don’t do this. Other countries don’t stack up their citizens’ bodies like we do. Only a madman would look at our way of doing things and say “yep, that’s the right way.”

Ms-13 acolytes been trained to cut your achilles 

We’ll if I am a mad man then don’t meet me in Home Depot parking lots for ammo anymore and avoid me at Tonya’s house. I am surprised you made it out of both encounters alive.
  • Hook 'Em 2

We’ll if I am a mad man then don’t meet me in Home Depot parking lots for ammo anymore and avoid me at Tonya’s house. I am surprised you made it out of both encounters alive.

Well….Tonya moved…so….

And you well know that my issue is not that guns exist, that Americans own them, etc. I’ve been handling firearms since I was 5, and own several today (kept in a locked gunsafe).
My issue is that our modern gun culture, which really is a creature of the last 30 years or so, is utterly fucked up.
30 years ago, mainstream discussion was about how “gang culture” was fucked up because everyone had to carry a gun to be Billy Badass, and would shoot someone for “disrespecting them.”
Instead of pushing back against and CHANGING that culture….we’ve adopted it for society as a whole. That’s not progress. It’s insanity.
It’s what led to the case in this thread. 2 lives ruined (well, one of them is about to be made a new “American hero” who will then be all over Fox News and speaking at grift conventions for money, having suffered no penalty for murdering someone, but that’s its own shitshow).
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

So protected that I don't need to be armed to the teeth, pussy.

But so confident you need to call others pussy?  

Line you up with every other big mouthed internet persona who will aggressively talk shit to people from behind your screen.  

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Etxhorn81 said:

Line you up with every other big mouthed internet persona who will aggressively talk shit to people from behind your screen.  

You're a pussy.

I think if you look at his posts and my posts regarding this one of us comes off as unstable and unhinged and it’s not me lol.

Carrying my Easter gun today - Glock 43 IWB - at a little brunch spot.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

I think if you look at his posts and my posts regarding this one of us comes off as unstable and unhinged and it’s not me lol.

Well of course!  There are a few here who are completely unhinged about your right to carry your 9mm.  

Meanwhile, I’m sure when he’s in public, he looks straight down at the ground and avoids all eye contact and interaction. He gets his voice when he’s  anonymous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Jesus died so you can be a scared little bitch!

29 minutes ago, Etxhorn81 said:

Well of course!  There are a few here who are completely unhinged about your right to carry your 9mm.  

Meanwhile, I’m sure when he’s in public, he looks straight down at the ground and avoids all eye contact and interaction. He gets his voice when he’s  anonymous. 

True. I should buy a gun so I can be a real man.

Jesus died so you can be a scared little bitch!

True. I should buy a gun so I can be a real man.

They won’t help. You need to learn how to be a man. A firearm doesn’t make a man.  Start with making eye contact with people.  Start with not berating someone for following the law. 

you stand a lot to learn from society. Pick your head up, take off your sunglasses, brush your hair from in front of your eyes, and enjoy humanity. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Etxhorn81 said:

They won’t help. You need to learn how to be a man. A firearm doesn’t make a man.  Start with making eye contact with people.  Start with not berating someone for following the law. 

you stand a lot to learn from society. Pick your head up, take off your sunglasses, brush your hair from in front of your eyes, and enjoy humanity. 

Where can I sign up for your seminar on being a man? Do you offer in person lessons? I stand to learn a lot from your manliness. 

Where can I sign up for your seminar on being a man? Do you offer in person lessons? I stand to learn a lot from your manliness. 

I just go by what my mom and dad taught me.  Mostly dad when it came to human interaction and respect. 

if I could teach you in a short session I would, but it’s a lifer lesson, and worked on daily.

• Fuck You 4

13 minutes ago, Etxhorn81 said:

I just go by what my mom and dad taught me.  Mostly dad when it came to human interaction and respect. 

if I could teach you in a short session I would, but it’s a lifer lesson, and worked on daily.

Lol.

alanis morrisette GIF