Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't think he has looked great in any game. In that Rams game, 22 carries for 96 yards. Is that bad? No. But that tells me he never broke anything at all. 3 catches for 30 yards. Again, nothing big. And his ypc has declined each game and is now 3.8. That would be ok for Pollard but this is Zeke, the guy they drafted with the 4th pick, designed the offense around and gave a big extension to. If Zeke is not bringing any big plays to the table at all and defenses don't have to key in on him, his value goes way down. Any middle of the road RB can give you that. He is not the same as he used to be.

I thought he ran hard and looked more like his old self against a decent run defense, but you might be right. I do think the rb that we’re playing this week is better than him though, and I would only say that about a handful or guys. Even now that’s he’s lost a little bit of a step. Chubb “scares me to death”

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to break big gains when your constantly avoiding tackles in the backfield.  Pollard isn’t doing much better.  The bigger issue with Zeke are all the drops.  Those are drive killers with several of them putting us behind the sticks rather than easier conversions.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I can’t remember which stat it is, but PFF has a bunch of analysis on sacks vs pressures as the genesis of defensive turnovers.  

Sacks are most certainly drive killers, but there is a lot of noise in the sack statistic.   One such being that a player can rack up sack stats when it was really another player that generated the pressure to cause a sack.  DLaw generates a shit ton of pressures 

This I don’t pay too much attention per play but I suspect he’s part of Aldon Smiths success.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't think he has looked great in any game. In that Rams game, 22 carries for 96 yards. Is that bad? No. But that tells me he never broke anything at all. 3 catches for 30 yards. Again, nothing big. And his ypc has declined each game and is now 3.8. That would be ok for Pollard but this is Zeke, the guy they drafted with the 4th pick, designed the offense around and gave a big extension to. If Zeke is not bringing any big plays to the table at all and defenses don't have to key in on him, his value goes way down. Any middle of the road RB can give you that. He is not the same as he used to be.

He’s looked fine to me, and I can think he probably could have used some preseason games, but I also think he’ll break some big ones soon. We’re still mediocre so far and it’s mostly on the defense and the makeshift oline.

Edited by 'stache

Would take a top 5 run blocking OL and a RB off the scrap heap versus an 'elite' RB that's not amazing in the passing game with a below average line.

Not really shocking Zeke has taken a dip as he's gotten older and the OL is worse.  Will still sell lots of jerseys and merchandise for Jerry. Jersey sells are what's important for this franchise.

11 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s just funny because there are some cowboys stans that will argue with you until you’re blue in the face that Zeke is still a top 2 or 3 rb. I’m just like “y’all realize he used to do shit like this, right?”

you saying zeke isn’t still this fast?

14 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Would take a top 5 run blocking OL and a RB off the scrap heap versus an 'elite' RB that's not amazing in the passing game with a below average line.

Not really shocking Zeke has taken a dip as he's gotten older and the OL is worse.  Will still sell lots of jerseys and merchandise for Jerry. Jersey sells are what's important for this franchise.

Every team would, but Dallas built it's elite OL by throwing a ton of resources at it, not some great scout department.  3 first rounders and Collins would have been a first rounder if not for the pre draft police investigation.  I guess you give them credit for getting it right on their first rounders, but all of their non first round OL picks have been shit.

51 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Every team would, but Dallas built it's elite OL by throwing a ton of resources at it, not some great scout department.  3 first rounders and Collins would have been a first rounder if not for the pre draft police investigation.  I guess you give them credit for getting it right on their first rounders, but all of their non first round OL picks have been shit.

This is fair.  We really haven't hit on a non-first round talent in a decade.  I guess Leary is was okay.  Otherwise, our attempts to build depth by drafting later and developing has been woeful.  

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is fair.  We really haven't hit on a non-first round talent in a decade.  I guess Leary is was okay.  Otherwise, our attempts to build depth by drafting later and developing has been woeful.  

chaz green not good enough for you?

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Maybe I’m missing the sarcasm but

Dak

Gallup

Xavier Woods

Terrance Williams

Demarcus Lawrence 

Tyrone Crawford 

Maliek Collins

Anthony Hitchens

all starters at some point in their Cowboy career who weren’t 1st round picks.

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Dak

Gallup

Xavier Woods

Terrance Williams

Demarcus Lawrence 

Tyrone Crawford 

Maliek Collins

Anthony Hitchens

Didn’t realize we moved all of those guys to offensive line. Bold strategy cotton. We’ll see if it pays off 

26 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Dak

Gallup

Xavier Woods

Terrance Williams

Demarcus Lawrence 

Tyrone Crawford 

Maliek Collins

Anthony Hitchens

The context of the convo was OL drafted.  If that wasn’t clear, let me clarify and say OL drafted.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s just funny because there are some cowboys stans that will argue with you until you’re blue in the face that Zeke is still a top 2 or 3 rb. I’m just like “y’all realize he used to do shit like this, right?”

Not completely disagreeing with you but this is a poor example. Well blocked (something that isn’t currently happening) to the point where he can run in a straight line and only have to make one guy miss after like 10 yards.

Edited by Hank_Hill

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not completely disagreeing with you but this is a poor example. Well blocked (something that isn’t currently happening) to the point where he can run in a straight line and only have to make one guy miss after like 10 yards.

Zeke gains 20 yards on that today. You’re not wrong, but he doesn’t have that kind of speed anymore. No chance.

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hmm. Would have sworn Frederick was a 2nd rounder, but nope. Does he count as a hit or a miss?

I think he was the 2nd to last pick in the first, because we were excited to draft someone (I forget who in hindsight) and we traded back with SF who had just lost in the super bowl.

12 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think he was the 2nd to last pick in the first, because we were excited to draft someone (I forget who in hindsight) and we traded back with SF who had just lost in the super bowl.

That is correct. 18 to 31. Not sure who we would have taken at 18. Sf took Eric Reid. Lots of jag names around there. Vaccaro went 15, deondre Hopkins went 27, zach ertz went 35, Tyler eiffert went 21. 
ETA:  Travis kelce 63 and Jordan reed 85.  This was the draft to pick a pass catching TE... Dallas picks Gavin Escobar at 47. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

54 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That is correct. 18 to 31. Not sure who we would have taken at 18. Sf took Eric Reid. Lots of jag names around there. Vaccaro went 15, deondre Hopkins went 27, zach ertz went 35, Tyler eiffert went 21. 
ETA:  Travis kelce 63 and Jordan reed 85.  This was the draft to pick a pass catching TE... Dallas picks Gavin Escobar at 47. 

Sharif Floyd was the guy everybody was up in arms about. He was a no go because of Marinelli despite the front office reportedly having him in the top 5 or 10 of the draft board. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah I guess 6 good years is sufficient for a player. I’m letting his early exit and likely 5 more good years affect how I view his career. 

I’m not saying it’s sufficient, but I think the only player not in the HOF that was a Pro-Bowler in basically every season in their career and was a multi-time 1st team All-Pro is Drew Pearson.  

13 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

This team sux. D got outmanned. DBs burnt like toast.
Dak aint the guy.
Dont know where those retard dak lovers are.
I turned it off at half.

If you think we lost because "Dak aint the guy", then you're futureman trolling dumb. 

Like I said week 1, Dak is the least of our problems and far from the reason for the loss. 

6 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Dumbest fuck on sides kick call I have ever seen.

McCarthy is a fucking moron.

Yeah what the fuck was that about? It wasn't even a true onside kick. It was like a hybrid onside and squib. We have all the momentum and it all went out right then. One first down puts them in FG range. Kick deep and make them drive. Browns and Baker had deers in the headlights at that point. Fuck whomever called that.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

lulz.  more garbage time stats in a loss.  

Another fucking offense that can't do shit until the opponent goes into a prevent defense. I'm so goddamn glad that Jerry took the time to interview the best coaches in the nation for one of the premier coaching jobs in the entire world before settling for a fucking coach with a list of concerns a mile long.

So was Rodgers holding McCarthy back, or was McCarthy holding Rodgers back? Uh huh.

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Remember that god awful 2013 defense? Let's compare that defense to this one through the first quarter of the season. Fucking disgusting.

1529 yards allowed
85 points
8 Turnovers forced

1722 yards allowed
146 points
2 Turnovers

How many possessions has this team faces vs that team? I would be interested to know that number. When your defense is bad you don't want to expose them like this by going so fast on offense. Especially since going fast tends to lead to more mistakes. They had a 14 -7 lead then gave up a TD. Then Dak fumbled and that turned into a TD. Then immediately Zeke fumbled and that's a TD. Now 28-14 and they're forced to throw it a ton which leads to big stats but not many wins. 

Congratulations to Dak for surpassing Romo for ability to put up massive garbage time stats when losing by a ton and the other team takes the foot off the gas. Seriously though he deserves a better team around him. 

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Another fucking offense that can't do shit until the opponent goes into a prevent defense. I'm so goddamn glad that Jerry took the time to interview the best coaches in the nation for one of the premier coaching jobs in the entire world before settling for a fucking coach with a list of concerns a mile long.

So was Rodgers holding McCarthy back, or was McCarthy holding Rodgers back? Uh huh.

The offense is going on the field knowing it has to score every drive. They had a fumble because OL got beat like a drum and a fumble that was kinda flukish in how it happen, the rest of the game the only reason Dallas had any life left was the offense.