Chris Del Conte is a Gigantic Pussy

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The amount of stupidity in this thread is sad. 

This is why we suck. Our fanbase will call for Del Conte to be fired and won't say a word about the people actually making the big decisions. The next AD will have the same problem and will once again be blamed for the shitty decisions made by our BoR and BMDs. 

Personally, I hope Del Conte flames the fuck out of us if he's fired. 

Sounds like Eltife is turning into a latter-day Frank Erwin.

And most of the blowhards on this site seemed to be quite happy that CDC was uninvolved.  He was "out of his depth."

LMAO.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Haha 2

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think we can both agree a huge part of the problem is hiring a dude that is willing to totally cede the most important responsibility of his job to others.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Del Conte has no power to make those decisions just like he has no power to decide things like the SEC move. 

You're upset over the wrong problem. The Texas football program is run by a bunch of old rich white guys that have the power to dictate these things. Again, you're totally lost and you're a big part of the problem.

Instead of bitching about Del Conte start a thread on the shitty decisions made by the BoR and BMDs. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You have no clue what you're talking about. Del Conte has no power to make those decisions just like he has no power to decide things like the SEC move. 

You're upset over the wrong problem. The Texas football program is run by a bunch of old rich white guys that have the power to dictate these things. Again, you're totally lost and you're a big part of the problem.

Instead of bitching about Del Conte start a thread on the shitty decisions made by the BoR and BMDs. 

I’m taking my complaints directly to CDC on Twitter.

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Ah yes, how dare Del Conte try to be responsive to complaints from fans. 

I honestly don't know where he finds the time to respond to everyone like he does.

Last fall, I left him a clearly in-jest voicemail, identified myself as an Aggie, and ran through a list of reasons he should keep Tom Herman.

Within a couple of hours or so, I had a friendly voicemail from him.  

Whatever else he is, he's a politician to the bone with inexhaustible dedication to being responsive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

I don't believe he had no say. He also gave Herman that stupid extension, has done very little with NIL, and SEZ is looking like a complete dud. 

For somebody that does as much bitching as you it would probably be wise to actually know what you're talking about. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

3 hours ago, Native Texas said:

Our best and brightest are going out of state due to let’s give everyone a group hug.

Our best and brightest who are leaving the state aren’t going to Bama. They’re going to Ivy League schools and Stanford and the UC system and UVA and Michigan. Not SEC schools (outside Vanderbilt).  

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 3

The BMDs hired Herman without even considering other candidates. He was the splash hire who also had ties here-the golden boy. That was a mistake even at the time-not because Herman’s failure was inevitable, but because it was an anointing rather than a true search.

Then when he disappointed-and because he’s such a grating personality who had no political capital-they undermined him to force him to be fired. 

There are always the machinations behind the scenes and delusions of grandeur to hire Saban or Meyer or whoever the next shiny toy is. This has been going on for a decade now (and other than Mack winning enough/politicking enough to keep them in check), really ever since DKR retired. It does not matter who the AD is.

But sure, let’s fire a guy who is overseeing an otherwise successful department because we’re too stupid to butt out actually let him do his job in this area. A massive power vacuum will only make things better. And there’s no way we could make a huge mistake in hiring the next AD, right?

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.a6c66bc456394786e1cb2ae0d24fb5b4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

People really think Del Conte made this hire when Eltife was flying to these coaches to meet them and every 9.95 site was saying that Eltife was running the meetings. 

Jesus, our fanbase deserves all the criticism they get. Open your eyes and think for 2 seconds. 

It’s true. The disconnect is real, yet they whine and cry and scream so fucking loud about everything that isn’t the root of the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I honestly don't know where he finds the time to respond to everyone like he does.

Last fall, I left him a clearly in-jest voicemail, identified myself as an Aggie, and ran through a list of reasons he should keep Tom Herman.

Within a couple of hours or so, I had a friendly voicemail from him.  

Whatever else he is, he's a politician to the bone with inexhaustible dedication to being responsive.

It’s absurd. Imagine the CEO of an airlines responding to every idiot bitching about their delayed flight and wifi speed.

He’s a clown.

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

It’s true. The disconnect is real, yet they whine and cry and scream so fucking loud about everything that isn’t the root of the problem. 

I think the BMDs are a huge problem. So is hiring an AD that is willing to completely abdicate the most important part of his job.

32 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think we can both agree a huge part of the problem is hiring a dude that is willing to totally cede the most important responsibility of his job to others.

You’re choosing to be obtuse, and it’s not clear why. 

It doesn’t matter who was hired as Athletics Director, they weren’t going to hire the football coach.  That’s just how it is here.  Now if you want to get mad at that part, then yes, that’s a valid point to be angry at.  But you and Xian keep getting pissed at the wrong person (CDC) for some insane reason that lacks logic.   I get it, y’all are both angry that our program got the 3rd hire in a row wrong and this is now year 11 of wandering the desert.  I’m telling you your anger is warranted, but it’s directed at the wrong people. 

You want to be angry?  Be angry at Eltife and the culture the BMDs/BoR members have set up here which is where they have to show their pride, ego, money, and whatever else in making the football hire instead of letting a competent AD do that himself.  THAT Is where your anger should be.  That line of thinking has gotten us to this point.  It’s that line of thinking that is fucking up this program. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Del Conte could have tried to wrest the HFC decision away from BMD, but it probably would have cost him his job.

I think he was involved at some level, because another characteristic of his coach searches is that they are very quiet until the announcement.

So, I think he did what he could.

Dodds attempted to wrest some control from BMD by establishing the LHF, but that just reduced the number of BMD clamoring for attention to the really heavy hitters.

It's a long-standing problem.  Frank Erwin prevented the hiring of Mike Campbell, DKR's anointed successor, just because he was jealous of the power DKR wielded.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Didn't Deloss want to hire Gary Barnett and it was DKR who stepped in and told Hicks and Jamail that Mack was the guy so they overruled Deloss? Deloss was thought of as a pretty powerful AD. 

My understanding is that Dodds was about to pull the trigger on Barnett and was supported by one group of BMD and it was Hicks that came up with Mack Brown.  I don't know about DKRs involvement, but it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You’re choosing to be obtuse, and it’s not clear why. 

It doesn’t matter who was hired as Athletics Director, they weren’t going to hire the football coach.  That’s just how it is here.  Now if you want to get mad at that part, then yes, that’s a valid point to be angry at.  But you and Xian keep getting pissed at the wrong person (CDC) for some insane reason that lacks logic.   I get it, y’all are both angry that our program got the 3rd hire in a row wrong and this is now year 11 of wandering the desert.  I’m telling you your anger is warranted, but it’s directed at the wrong people. 

You want to be angry?  Be angry at Eltife and the culture the BMDs/BoR members have set up here which is where they have to show their pride, ego, money, and whatever else in making the football hire instead of letting a competent AD do that himself.  THAT Is where your anger should be.  That line of thinking has gotten us to this point.  It’s that line of thinking that is fucking up this program. 

I’m not being obtuse. I absolutely think the BMD’s are fucked. But I also believe the guy that took the job knowing he was going to be completely neutered on the most important aspect of his job is not the guy you want trying to “right the ship”.

Unless by “right the ship” what @GreenspointTexas meant was “head to the sleeping quarters during the most important part of the voyage then blame the crew when the ship ran aground”

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think the BMDs are a huge problem. So is hiring an AD that is willing to completely abdicate the most important part of his job.

You have no idea how the athletic department runs. If the AD tries to make these decisions or resists the BMDs he's getting fired. 

Are you really this obtuse? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m not being obtuse. I absolutely think the BMD’s are fucked. But I also believe the guy that took the job knowing he was going to be completely neutered on the most important aspect of his job is not the guy you want trying to “right the ship”.

Unless by “right the ship” what @GreenspointTexas meant was “head to the sleeping quarters during the most important part of the voyage then blame the crew when the ship ran aground”

The AD cannot push back against people who have the power to fire him. Because they will.

Just now, formermav43 said:

Or the baseball team that was just in the CWS. Or the basketball team that made a home run hire. Or the women’s team who just went to the Elite Eight. Or…

They should pay attention where the success is happening. 

It's almost like we should emulate those programs. I wonder what the difference is between those programs and the football team (I know the answer). 

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

My understanding is that Dodds was about to pull the trigger on Barnett and was supported by one group of BMD and it was Hicks that came up with Mack Brown.  I don't know about DKRs involvement, but it makes sense.

What I’ve read/heard was Mack won dkr and the bmds over.  Barnett was pissed. I think Barnett would’ve been decent here 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/10/2020 at 10:41 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Hes an outstanding AD. One of the best in the country

jfc surly... quit being surly for one second. He will right the ship

Curious what you meant here?

Surely you knew he had no choice in who was hired as the football coach and understood he was simply a passenger on the ship, right?

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Pancho said it, but I’m not sure it matters. They aren’t going to hire somebody that will actively work against them or not listen to them. No matter who the AD is will have to do what they want or they will be replaced. 

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

Pancho said it, but I’m not sure it matters. They aren’t going to hire somebody that will actively work against them or not listen to them. No matter who the AD is will have to do what they want or they will be replaced. 

The good news is that statistically speaking, eventually we’ll fall ass backwards into the right hire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Just the football team. We have a stellar athletic program.

Absolutely a stellar program.  Women volleyball team was runner up national champion last year and in the hunt every year, and swimming teams are often national champions or in hunt every year.   

The problem is our BMDs don't see themselves as donors who are helping the program achieve greatness, they seem themselves as shareholders. Goes a bit hand in hand with asking them for large sums of money. Urban would've been ideal because he had the skins on the wall to tell them to F off if they wanted to tell him no on a hire (Sark wanting Stoops).

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The good news is that statistically speaking, eventually we’ll fall ass backwards into the right hire. 

Holy shit. No we won't. I'm sure Tennessee, Florida, and USC fans thought the same as you. Michigan gets partial credit for sticking with Harbaugh even though he's not beating Ohio State. But I think they're tired of the coaching carousel and if he can sneak into a Rose Bowl when tOSU goes to the playoff, they're okay with that. They seem to have accepted their place in the hierarchy of the Big 10.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I would bet this definitelynothollywoodcolt idiot was in the group saying "Del Conte's bitch ass doesn't have the power to decide the SEC move" and yet he now thinks Del Conte has the power to make a football hire. 

You can't make it up. 

You just did. No one was debating the SEC move. It happened out of thin air.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

3 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Absolutely a stellar program.  Women volleyball team was runner up national champion last year and in the hunt every year, and swimming teams are often national champions or in hunt every year.   

Both of those programs’ successes pre-date CDC by decades. 

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You just did. No one is debating the SEC move. It happened out of thin air.

No, it didn't. You don't think the Sark hire and the SEC move were aligned decisions? They wanted Sark because the SEC move was in their heads. Got to get the best coordinator off the best SEC program. After the SEC move was announced, the Sark hire made perfect sense to me. 

Director's Cup rankings the 5 years prior to CDC: 

Outside of the top 10, outside of the top 10, 9th, 9th, 7th. 

Director's Cup rankings in the 3 years with CDC (not including the Covid cancellation): 

5th, 4th, 1st. 

1) You have to be a fool to think the athletic department hasn't improved under CDC. The Director's Cup rankings, conference championships, and national titles all prove it. 

2) Why are all the other programs improving and having success while the football program continues to be terrible? I think TwiceHorn, Ricky, and Pancho have all hit the nail on the head. 

3) Eltife hired Sark. Sark is not Del Conte's profile at all as Pancho has explained in this thread numerous times. Would CDC have made a better hire? Who knows because names like Franklin were thrown around so maybe some would have viewed that as a good or bad hire. All I know is that his hires have been a lot better than our football hires. 

4) I still think the roster is an abomination and that almost any coach hired was going to be terrible in the first couple of years. Does that excuse losing to Kansas? Probably not. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I get your frustration with football being a cesspool buuuuuut, the Athletic program was more than just Women's rowing last year.

image.thumb.png.e167816b0d5e653d8cf3a126c63de396.png

My point was that we could win national championships in every other sport and it wouldn't matter, because at Texas, football is how the athletic program is judged.

If you don't think so ask yourself if you would trade being average to shitty in every sport, but win the CFP every year.

The vast majority of Texas fans and alumni would make that deal in a second. Shit even CDC would too since it would likely mean even more money pouring into the athletic department.

2 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

My point was that we could win national championships in every other sport and it wouldn't matter, because at Texas, football is how the athletic program is judged.

If you don't think so ask yourself if you would trade being average to shitty in every sport, but win the CFP every year.

The vast majority of Texas fans and alumni would make that deal in a second. Shit even CDC would too since it would likely mean even more money pouring into the athletic department.

Nobody here is saying you have to care about the other sports. 

You continue to miss the point. The point is those sports are winning and football isn't. What is the difference between those sports? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

DKR and a few former players met with Brown.  Hicks did not want Barnett.