Does Sam come back for 2021?

GreenspointTexas

Does Sam come back for 2021?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Call your shot:

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

How much better is he than Garrett Gilbert? Gilbert is still in the NFL and is about to be signed by Dallas. I know Gilbert looked bad here but redeemed himself when he went to SMU onece he got away from the toxic environment Mack Brown made at the end of his tenure.

And how much better is he than Tebow? He didn't last long in this league at all.

I think he would be a later round pick or even undrafted. Someone will take a look. How long he lasts is the bigger question. He will land somewhere no doubt.

I for one am ready to start a new era at QB. 2018 season was fun (even though it was 3 losses) but the following years have fucking sucked and another terrible record against OU. Get some new blood in here. Same goes for the coach. Move on from both him and Herman.

well the problem(s) are that Texas has been pretty shittastic at recruiting QBs since Colt and even more shittastic at developing them

and with the shittastic coaching and who gives a fuck effort and wafer thin offensive line who in the fuck wants to roll into Texas as an 18yo (knowing tom is gone sooner than later most likely) and get the shit knocked out of you for a bunch of soft pussies "doing the Austin thing"

does Texas even have a QB worth mentioning on the team right now?.....and even if Texas does they are not going to sniff the field unless Sam is dead or gone because Texas is not going to open up a lead on any team this year to the point that the backups get playing time

even Colt was not the worlds greatest QB, but he was a really great college QB especially when surrounded by talent that gave a fuck and wanted a leader and a coach that was trying

once Mack retired to casista life and put the recruiting in the hands of Dave Campbells rankings it was over and with soft ass coaches that coddle players and players that want to hang out in Austin instead of give effort to play for UT the era of a QB like Colt or Sam leading a team is over as well

and top talent QBs do not come to places like that to waste their 2 to 3 years of college ball

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Love Sam to death ... an all time personal favorite for a number of reasons.  But, let's not get carried away.  He's not in Hill's league as either a passer or runner, IMHO.

I doubt Sam has the arm/accuracy  needed to thrive in the NFL, but I have seen no evidence that Taysom Hill is a better passer. He didnt show it in college and his NFL numbers are shit. 

image.thumb.png.1684ab929da692adf57e9d85dcfbe417.png

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Get drafted in about the 4th round you dipshit. 

Based on his very public commentary, that’d be a resounding yes. 

yea a lot of people seem to be over looking some of the total shit that plays QB in the NFL as a starter much less a back up

they also seem to forget there is no real way to evaluate Sam with all the turds he is swimming with right now and being coached by

but the fact that he was even able to get Texas close to winning last game says a hell of a lot about him and if teams are drafting John Pay Me To Party in the high rounds then they will take a risk on Sam I Give A Shit for sure

Edited by ButtFumble

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

How much better is he than Garrett Gilbert? Gilbert is still in the NFL and is about to be signed by Dallas. I know Gilbert looked bad here but redeemed himself when he went to SMU onece he got away from the toxic environment Mack Brown made at the end of his tenure.

And how much better is he than Tebow? He didn't last long in this league at all.

I think he would be a later round pick or even undrafted. Someone will take a look. How long he lasts is the bigger question. He will land somewhere no doubt.

I for one am ready to start a new era at QB. 2018 season was fun (even though it was 4 losses) but the following years have fucking sucked and another terrible record against OU. Get some new blood in here. Same goes for the coach. Move on from both him and Herman.

fixed

7 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

yea a lot of people seem to be over looking some of the total shit that plays QB in the NFL as a starter much less a back up

they also seem to forget there is no real way to evaluate Sam with all the turds he is swimming with right now and being coached by

but the fact that he was even able to get Texas close to winning last game says a hell of a lot about him and if teams are drafting John Pay Me To Party in the high rounds then they will take a risk on Sam I Give A Shit for sure

The nfl drafts off metrics and potential not how many comebacks you can lead in college. The jump in talent competition is massive and he doesn't have anywhere near an nfl arm. If he gets drafted it's as a late 7th round project but I think he's undrafted. Remember how everyone here was all up on lilJordan? Yeah

36 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

I prefer to vote whether Tom comes back.

There's only about a half dozen threads where you can do that.

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Nah. I think he's done. He looks like he's checked out mentally. If Urban is hired, maybe? I'd give it 0% with Herman and 25% with Urban. 

Checked out mentally?  Wtf? 

19 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

The nfl drafts off metrics and potential not how many comebacks you can lead in college. The jump in talent competition is massive and he doesn't have anywhere near an nfl arm. If he gets drafted it's as a late 7th round project but I think he's undrafted. Remember how everyone here was all up on lilJordan? Yeah

so you are saying that John Football was drafted on metrics and potential

lets me clear I am not a John hater I do not give a shit that he took The Browns for a lot of cash and fucked off an NFL career that is his business not mine and sure he was an aggy and that also means he played for aggy and he actually won then a ton of games

but if you watched him play a single game it was clear that he had no refinement, he is not a huge guy in height or physical stature, he lacks a lot of technique, and his metrics were of a great flag football QB for the hardest partying frat on campus.....but fuck he could just get out there and do wild ass shit on the field and get teams on the field to follow him and dumb asses off the field to worship him.....but when combined with his who gives a fuck attitude only a damn dunce would think he would last in the NFL because he has no work ethic and the only heart he has is to party

and Lil' Jordan again shows the exact opposite of what you are saying....tons of potential, a lot less on the field accomplishments then needed for the NFL to take a flyer on him and a total do not give a fuck sense of entitlement that infest Texas and that NFL talent evaluators are EXTREMELY familiar with from Texas at this point

so all his metrics and potential was shitted down he toilet by a shitty attitude and bad work ethic that he helped thrive at Texas

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

With Herman at the helm. He knows he can't do shit with that moron as a coach. Urban would definitely benefit him more, but I think he's probably preparing for a try at the NFL 

And you are basing that on what?  I've seen nothing from Sam indicating that he is anything other that 100% engaged.  

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

And you are basing that on what?  I've seen nothing from Sam indicating that he is anything other that 100% engaged.  

Just guessing, nothing more. Because this is surly and we make retarded thoughts appear on the internet. He'll give it his all, but no one else is helping him. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

People keep saying he doesn’t have an NFL arm. Where is the evidence of this?

LJH was slow and had a terrible work ethic. Receivers are drafted almost wholly on measurables. Mid-round QBs are NOT. 

I ppsted this on the other thread.  He has an average NFL arm, average NFL size, average NFL running ability.  Several QBs with no real ability to QB will get drafted above him because they excel at any one of those categories.  The NFL is every bit about "potential" as college recruiting is.  No one picks "serviceable" talent when they have the option to go boom-or-bust.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I ppsted this on the other thread.  He has an average NFL arm, average NFL size, average NFL running ability.  Several QBs with no real ability to QB will get drafted above him because they excel at any one of those categories.  The NFL is every bit about "potential" as college recruiting is.  No one picks "serviceable" talent when they have the option to go boom-or-bust.

I mean, Chase Daniels has been collecting a check since what, 2009? I'd say anything is possible as this point. I'd say Sam is probably more talented than a shit ton of 3rd QB's on a roster in the NFL. He's also a smart kid. I'm not saying he'll make the NFL, but he also has a lot to offer, too. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I for one am ready to start a new era at QB. 2018 season was fun (even though it was 3 losses) but the following years have fucking sucked and another terrible record against OU. Get some new blood in here. Same goes for the coach. Move on from both him and Herman.

I agree..  And we don't want to do what aggy did a few years ago when they lost Murray, Kyle Allen and a couple of others who were all promised  a shot at the starting gig and then they all said F it and left aggy and Summlin in deep shit at that slot .  I could see some damage being done with those in waiting putting their names into the transfer portal if we delayed their shot at earning the slot next season knowing they would be holding clipboards and all that jazz on the sideline for another season.

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I mean, Chase Daniels has been collecting a check since what, 2009? I'd say anything is possible as this point. I'd say Sam is probably more talented than a shit ton of 3rd QB's on a roster in the NFL. He's also a smart kid. I'm not saying he'll make the NFL, but he also has a lot to offer, too. 

Chase Daniel has a better arm and far better accuracy. 

Sam throws a very inaccurate deep ball, he doesn’t consistently hit the mid range stuff although he does get some nice throws in this range, his under stuff is his most accurate but even that teeters at times. 

he doesn’t have elite speed to take a taysom role. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

He was an UDFA because of terrible size, speed, and quickness.  Borderline handsize.  His combine grade was an F.

His grade would be different today than it would have been when he came out. Game has changed so much and so has scouting quarterbacks. 

sam doesn’t fit now and he wouldn’t have fit then because he’s so inaccurate and lacks elite arm strength. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Remember how everyone here was all up on lilJordan?

Sure don't. Surly was conflicted at best as to whether or not LJH should go pro with much of the 'go pro' logic boiling down to "well, another year at UT won't improve his 40 and he's unlikely to have a better season" 

2nd year guys Rattler and Duggan are better than him with less talent Around them, maybe Rattler has equal amount. Who in the world wants an inaccurate slow QB back? Throw Card or Thompson in the fire and reap the rewards of the Herman/Ehlinger loser culture being done with. 

• Fuck You 1

If anything has changed, it's the willingness to sacrifice size for mobility. Arm still matters.  Release probably matters more than it did back then.

Daniel is both small and immobile.  His draft stock wouldn't change.  He remains a journeyman in the league because he has a stout arm.

Sam isn't small nor immobile.  He's got a better release. If Sam throws a 55+, he'll be drafted in Round 1 and would have back then as well.  The Daniel comparison is bad.

28 minutes ago, JBJ said:

He was an UDFA because of terrible size, speed, and quickness.  Borderline handsize.  His combine grade was an F.

And he's made $34 million (and counting) in 11 seasons (and counting).   Sure, it's not first 3 rounds money, but he hasn't had to get a real job since college.

Not trying to argue the merits of what NFL teams look for on draft day and whether or not Sam has what it takes, but obviously, Daniel has stuck around on an NFL roster since the first Obama administration, so he must have something NFL teams are looking for.

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

And he's made $34 million (and counting) in 11 seasons (and counting).   Sure, it's not first 3 rounds money, but he hasn't had to get a real job since college.

Not trying to argue the merits of what NFL teams look for on draft day and whether or not Sam has what it takes, but obviously, Daniel has stuck around on an NFL roster since the first Obama administration, so he must have something NFL teams are looking for.

That something is a fastball nearing 60 mph.  Sam doesn't have that.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Chase Daniel has a better arm and far better accuracy. 

Sam throws a very inaccurate deep ball, he doesn’t consistently hit the mid range stuff although he does get some nice throws in this range, his under stuff is his most accurate but even that teeters at times. 

he doesn’t have elite speed to take a taysom role. 

In all fairness, Taysom is a freak of nature at 84. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

2 hours ago, UhhhIdk said:

2nd year guys Rattler and Duggan are better than him with less talent Around them, maybe Rattler has equal amount. Who in the world wants an inaccurate slow QB back? Throw Card or Thompson in the fire and reap the rewards of the Herman/Ehlinger loser culture being done with. 

Sam may or may not get drafted or make a NFL roster, but don't lump him in with the dumpster fire Herman has created.  He's the only reason Herman has a better record than Strong, and the only one on this team that seems to give a shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sam is a very late round draft pick at best, but probably goes undrafted. Sam loves Texas, and is living his dream. He’s not going to have that same passion for the Miami Dolphins sitting on a bench or leading the practice squad. His throwing mechanics need a lot of work. Scrambling QBs don’t fare well in the faster paced NFL.  I hope he moves on because it’s time to start letting the younger guys compete before they get antsy and transfer . But I can also see him staying in an effort to improve his draft stock. The NCAA granted him a reprieve. I’d take it.

I believe the comparison with Chase Daniel is fairly apt.  Whether Sam returns will surely depend to some degree on his draft evaluation--it won't be in the first three rounds, but I could imagine him making an NFL roster out of the 4th-6th rounds.  If Sam's return depends on Urban Meyer replacing Herman, then he's probably gone; I don't see Meyer taking any head-coach job.  Just an opinion or two.