Does Sam come back for 2021?

GreenspointTexas

Does Sam come back for 2021?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Call your shot:

Still think the cotton Bowl EOT is being over-thought and blown out of proportion.

Sam's 2021 likely depends on how the rest of this season goes: if he stays healthy, the feedback he gets from the college advisory committee, if Herman is still here, etc. It's pretty unusual for a QB to hate the coach that stood by them, so I actually think firing Tom makes Sam slightly more likely to go pro. But even that depends on how badly the next coach recruits him. Could be like Mack with Ricky in '98.

I think this season ends better than it started, as we improve on both sides of the ball, he gets a 4th round grade and goes pro.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

Still think the cotton Bowl EOT is being over-thought and blown out of proportion.

Sam's 2021 likely depends on how the rest of this season goes: if he stays healthy, the feedback he gets from the college advisory committee, if Herman is still here, etc. It's pretty unusual for a QB to hate the coach that stood by them, so I actually think firing Tom makes Sam slightly more likely to go pro. But even that depends on how badly the next coach recruits him. Could be like Mack with Ricky in '98.

I think this season ends better than it started, as we improve on both sides of the ball, he gets a 4th round grade and goes pro.

I agree with most of this.

Cotton Bowl EOT - overblown.  Angry, restless fanbase is just harping on anything now.

If Tom stays, Sam goes.  Wouldn't waste another year I could be developing in the NFL or with private coaching to play for Tom's dumbass.  Sam's body doesn't need to take another year of getting pounded like South Austin's mom behind a shitty OL and in a poor scheme requiring him to run to even move the chains a little. 

If Tom is gone, depends on the new coach.  Will be a full court press to get him to stay.  2021 Sam transitioning to Ewers more ideal for a new coach than rolling the dice with Thompson/Card or hoping for a good one year rental transfer for the transition.

Summary: Fuck Tom Herman.  Get fired, asswad. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I agree with most of this.

Cotton Bowl EOT - overblown.  Angry, restless fanbase is just harping on anything now.

If Tom stays, Sam goes.  Wouldn't waste another year I could be developing in the NFL or with private coaching to play for Tom's dumbass.  Sam's body doesn't need to take another year of getting pounded like South Austin's mom behind a shitty OL and in a poor scheme requiring him to run to even move the chains a little. 

If Tom is gone, depends on the new coach.  Will be a full court press to get him to stay.  2021 Sam transitioning to Ewers more ideal for a new coach than rolling the dice with Thompson/Card or hoping for a good one year rental transfer for the transition.

Summary: Fuck Tom Herman.  Get fired, asswad. 

Agree with a lot of this. If Tom is still the corch, I think Sam is gone. If somebody like Urban is hired, I could easily see Sam stay.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Has too since he is so inaccurate.

Also agree with this -- I don't see how Sam is much of a NFL prospect at this point. Not sure Tom & Co has done him many favors in getting him prepared for the next level of football.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I know Sam would love to get one more crack at OU. 

He still might in this dumpster fire of a conference. Weirder shit has happened. After all, Yurcich is drilling down to find our identity and hammer what works. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

A coworker said that if Herman stays they could see Sam transferring to SMU seeing how Shane Buechele has had success there sitting at 14-3 as a starter and that Sam could win the American Conference. 

There's a hit out of left field...

I said something about this in the game thread

you are looking at GG made it to the pros out of SMU after leaving UT

I think Shane gets signed by someone even if it is beyond the draft

at that point SMU will have placed two QBs in the NFL since Texas did and both would have been transfers from Texas

plus the "talent" (off the field) at SMU is probably well above UT these days

• Hook 'Em 1

The weight of this program is crushing him.. from reporters asking him about the EOT situation, to him publicly criticizing players who aren't accountable through his press sessions.. He wants to play as best as he can for the remainder of this season and move on with his future.  He will stick in the NFL for a few years at the very least.  He will always be welcomed on campus and probably can get a TV gig whenever he wants covering the program.

• Hook 'Em 2

I honestly don't give a fuck. Nothing against Sam, I think he is a great longhorn and a very good college football player. We also have talent behind him that deserves a chance to play, and we all know that if Sam comes back, he's starting. Will it make a difference in wins/losses? Is Herman still around? There's your answer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I said something about this in the game thread

you are looking at GG made it to the pros out of SMU after leaving UT

I think Shane gets signed by someone even if it is beyond the draft

at that point SMU will have placed two QBs in the NFL since Texas did and both would have been transfers from Texas

plus the "talent" (off the field) at SMU is probably well above UT these days

Oh yeah. Sam would have plenty of weapons to work with like Shane does and the run game knows how to hold onto the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I honestly don't give a fuck. Nothing against Sam, I think he is a great longhorn and a very good college football player. We also have talent behind him that deserves a chance to play, and we all know that if Sam comes back, he's starting. Will it make a difference in wins/losses? Is Herman still around? There's your answer. 

Would love to see us beat OU with Casey Thompson as the starter. It would be epic and ideal since Casey is from OKC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Does he even have real NFL potential?

Really I think he could go either way.   The big factor is whether Tom stays or not and how the rest of the season ends up.    If  shit show gets worse and we name a coach who is not a top tier (IE Urban), then he goes.   But if we do hire a top tier, then it becomes an issue if that coach influences him to stay or not.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

A coworker said that if Herman stays they could see Sam transferring to SMU seeing how Shane Buechele has had success there sitting at 14-3 as a starter and that Sam could win the American Conference. 

There's a hit out of left field...

Sam doesn't have the tools to run the SMU offense, IMO. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

He’s not the type of dude to fuck over UT recruiting at his position.

What does this even mean? Like, if his pro prospects weren't looking great, you think he'd forgo his last guaranteed chance to play football at a high level, so Texas could bring in another 18 year old? Not insulting, just don't understand the comment.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Love Sam to death ... an all time personal favorite for a number of reasons.  But, let's not get carried away.  He's not in Hill's league as either a passer or runner, IMHO.

We could break his fibula, foot, elbow and knee and turn him bionic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

What does this even mean? Like, if his pro prospects weren't looking great, you think he'd forgo his last guaranteed chance to play football at a high level, so Texas could bring in another 18 year old? Not insulting, just don't understand the comment.

He's assuming there'd be a mass exodus of players from the QB room if Sam stayed another year. Maybe, but there will be QB transfers no matter what. If our OL and running game can't fuck over our QB recruiting, Sam staying another year sure won't. 

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Does he even have real NFL potential?

Really I think he could go either way.   The big factor is whether Tom stays or not and how the rest of the season ends up.    If  shit show gets worse and we name a coach who is not a top tier (IE Urban), then he goes.   But if we do hire a top tier, then it becomes an issue if that coach influences him to stay or not.  

How much better is he than Garrett Gilbert? Gilbert is still in the NFL and is about to be signed by Dallas. I know Gilbert looked bad here but redeemed himself when he went to SMU onece he got away from the toxic environment Mack Brown made at the end of his tenure.

And how much better is he than Tebow? He didn't last long in this league at all.

I think he would be a later round pick or even undrafted. Someone will take a look. How long he lasts is the bigger question. He will land somewhere no doubt.

I for one am ready to start a new era at QB. 2018 season was fun (even though it was 3 losses) but the following years have fucking sucked and another terrible record against OU. Get some new blood in here. Same goes for the coach. Move on from both him and Herman.

Edited by Vic Mackey