Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Texas taxpayer is the loser here. We pay our taxes so Abbott can display his bona fides to the MAGA that he can kill illegals easier than other governors. Taking the red balls out of the river just give Abbott more credibility with some.

They still won't love him enough to give him more than a few percentage points in a Republican Presidential primary.

Well, Gov. Abbott has emerged from the weeds this morning having been silent on everything from Paxton to Children to the Border to the Longhorns.  

What's he up to?  You guessed it.  School Choice again.  As he realizes, a large swatch of Republicans just aren't going for his voucher deal.  They're tacking further right to appeal to the Christian values of their voter bloc in those rural/exurb areas.  

ENTER:  THE JUSTICE FOUNDATION-Faith Leaders for School Choice.  Because only Democratic Black Minsters in urban areas use their cloth to lobby for political issues, right?  Here's the conference call info for tomorrow if you want to listen in and get some sorrowful day drinking in:  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/school-choice-sunday-kickoff-call-with-texas-governor-greg-abbott-tickets-717195951397?aff=oddtdtcreator&utm_campaign=Empower Parents&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=2&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_IuIqZU44qIYBca7AyNg-udGPNYBUgCuVV0l7X_erIJ41h3LrLse_5EDD7EuFluMrvLb7uTJqb8paGWCMbDS97N1CoecE77_NHk4Cl-YgsfLxAFEA&utm_content=2&utm_source=hs_email

And here's their list of targets (obviously mostly Dems), but you can see all the R's they have their sights on.  Some of whom are also gonna be targeted by Patrick/Paxton.  Only a matter of days before the Venn Diagram of those folks have their home addresses and children's names posted online.  Because, remember Texas...it's about the kids.  Not about the money.  https://thejusticefoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/RepsAgainstSchoolChoice.pdf

Incestuous Republican Rancor.  My new band name.  Your new Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just as impotent and pathetic as his hard-right takes during his primary campaign against the Mogwai Huffines.  But I'm enjoying that he, Patrick, and Paxton, are waging war on Republicans in the legislature right as Trump  is doing so nationally.

https://www.kxan.com/news/gov-abbott-calls-third-special-session-to-begin-oct-9/

Gov. Greg Abbott said a special session will start at 1 p.m., Oct. 9, according to a letter sent to Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and House Speaker Dade Phelan. Abbott told Christian faith leaders in a tele-town hall on Sept. 12 that he intended to call another special session this year. The upcoming special session will be the third of the year and is set to begin in October.

One of the main items on the agenda Abbott plans to push for is school choice: where public education funds would be able to benefit private schools, not just public schools.

“There’s an easy way to get it done and a hard way to get it done,” Gov. Abbott said at the tele-town hall. “The easy way will be for these legislators to come into the regular session, this next special session, and vote in favor of school choice.”

He's trying to sell it to Texas MAGAts that the legislature hasn't yet voted on it, or at least not the way he wanted.

He also doesn't understand that the rurals don't want to help pay for private schools that benefit the suburbs and urban areas.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure I'd expect that much rational thought.

Even though the big cities prop up a lot of the rural school districts through Robin Hood, plenty of rurals and their legislators are very aware that nobody is building private schools in Bumfuck, Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Even though the big cities prop up a lot of the rural school districts through Robin Hood, plenty of rurals and their legislators are very aware that nobody is building private schools in Bumfuck, Texas.

Being from a rural bumfuck town myself, that I frequently revisit, I concur with this statement.

Rural folks may not understand or care about global or even national politics. But they understand very well where the money for the schools comes from and where it goes. That’s often the most prominent institution in town. They know they’re not getting a new press box or PA system for the Friday night game if someone takes their voucher to some private school an hour away.

28 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They know they’re not getting a new press box or PA system for the Friday night game if someone takes their voucher to some private school an hour away.

I'd toss in that Abbott and Ted Cruz and his pro-voucher buddies are completely out of touch with rural voters simply by showing an ignorance of what's important to those voters.  Rural voters don't want to hear about some $20 million private school in a suburb that the taxpayers chipped in for while their kids are stuck in crowded classrooms because it's hard to get teachers out in those areas.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'd toss in that Abbott and Ted Cruz and his pro-voucher buddies are completely out of touch with rural voters simply by showing an ignorance of what's important to those voters.  Rural voters don't want to hear about some $20 million private school in a suburb that the taxpayers chipped in for while their kids are stuck in crowded classrooms because it's hard to get teachers out in those areas.

As to the bolded, you know as well as I do that never stopped rural voters from checking the R box.  

That second part won't stop rural voters from checking R, but it may make them reconsider which R they check.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

they’ll give money for home school’s kids to win them over 

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Texas small towns, that hs is the heart of the city 

I grew up in one, so I'm well aware. But so is the church. If your church tells you to do online school while your kids keep their eligibility to play football, I think plenty may see it as a win-win.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Cap33 said:

I grew up in one, so I'm well aware. But so is the church. If your church tells you to do online school while your kids keep their eligibility to play football, I think plenty may see it as a win-win.

Valid point.  Until even small town backwards ass Baptists realize 51% of their young people can't play football.  because they're female

27 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

There's big money to be made in online schooling. That's how they'll appease the rural "Christian" base on the vouchers.

This. Hot Wheels wouldn’t be so committed to it if there wasn’t. 

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Being from a rural bumfuck town myself, that I frequently revisit, I concur with this statement.

Rural folks may not understand or care about global or even national politics. But they understand very well where the money for the schools comes from and where it goes. That’s often the most prominent institution in town. They know they’re not getting a new press box or PA system for the Friday night game if someone takes their voucher to some private school an hour away.

That used to be the way it was. Now, it’s about religion, race and crazy. 

As the parent of a kid that does online public education at home - it’s a bad idea for the masses. You have to be able to co-teach at the very least. Most people don’t have the ability to stay home with their kid. I can see them moving to online with “teachers” in large rooms.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

As the parent of a kid that does online public education at home - it’s a bad idea for the masses. You have to be able to co-teach at the very least. Most people don’t have the ability to stay home with their kid. I can see them moving to online with “teachers” in large rooms.

Amen.  If covid taught me anything, it's that I can work and co-teach at the same time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

If I was the VP of sales for some shitty right wing online "education" company, I'd be trying to gin up support for vouchers with the largest church in those small towns. Rent out a few sunday school rooms, hire a couple little old ladies to be teachers/proctors, and get the preachers to talk up opening a private school at the church if vouchers pass. Would it be a terrible education? Absolutely. Would the rubes buy it? Maybe if you tell them it will keep their kids from having to go to class with the ranch hand's kids (wink).

• Like 2

We are with Connections Academy, which is built by Pearson. We are sorta in HISD, but also more like home school. He doesn’t have to go to class, but has to engage twice a week. It’s working for us - he’s in the top percentage for state tests, so I’m good with it.

That said - I can absolutely see a church doing that type of set up.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

And those teachers - don’t need a degree, zero accreditations, work for low wages, and no worries about benefits / teachers retirement fund / teachers Union 

• Like 2

Thought about the vouchers when I went to Inner Space Cavern this weekend with the kid. There was some Christian private school from the outskirts of Dallas visiting in a charter bus. Group of about 30 kids and adults. Let's just say that diversity wasn't their strong suit. Came out of the cave and all gathered in a big group for a prayer. Because what else do you do when you come out of a cave tour on Saturday afternoon?

Seemed like they'd be a bunch of great kids, but something about it all just seemed off. I'd think twice about enrolling my kid in that sort of environment as I think he'd come out of it a bit naïve. 

I do like the idea of a smaller school/district though. I think it actually helps you to have to make friends with everyone instead of just your niche in the school. Of course, if everyone is the same, it kind of defeats the purpose.

When it comes to vouchers, I could be onboard with a small check given to the parents to spend wherever they want, but not a full share.  Example, If a public school received $100K in tax revenue for their total of 100 students, parents should not get $1K each to spend wherever. Maybe give them $100.  I'm making these numbers up to make the math easier.

My reasoning is that I'm a non-parent but I pay a decent amount in ISD taxes. I want my tax money going to the public school not the private school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When it comes to vouchers, I could be onboard with a small check given to the parents to spend wherever they want, but not a full share.  Example, If a public school received $100K in tax revenue for their total of 100 students, parents should not get $1K each to spend wherever. Maybe give them $100.  I'm making these numbers up to make the math easier.

My reasoning is that I'm a non-parent but I pay a decent amount in ISD taxes. I want my tax money going to the public school not the private school. 

What? You want them to just send every parent with a kid $100? I'm not following.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What? You want them to just send every parent with a kid $100? I'm not following.

The idea of a voucher would be to give a parent, who wants to take their kid to a private school, a sizable amount of money. I'm saying that I'm not onboard with a large amount. If they want to take a small amount, ok. 

I'm not defining the exact amount as I don't know the numbers involved.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

So the amounts I've heard are something like $7K. 

I'm not sure the point of giving something like $1,500 for example. Seems like that wouldn't really do anything for a voucher to make a dent. Now as a parent, you want to give me $1,500, great. I'm not changing a kid's school due to it.

I honestly don't get the entire voucher system. The most obvious thing in the world is that the cost of a $12,000 a year school is going to become $19,000 a year in short order.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So the amounts I've heard are something like $7K. 

I'm not sure the point of giving something like $1,500 for example. Seems like that wouldn't really do anything for a voucher to make a dent. Now as a parent, you want to give me $1,500, great. I'm not changing a kid's school due to it.

I honestly don't get the entire voucher system. The most obvious thing in the world is that the cost of a $12,000 a year school is going to become $19,000 a year in short order.

Not at Brisketexan's FreedomEagleGunJesus Freedom and Liberty Academy.  We will not be undersold!  Your kid may be undereducated, but we will not be UNDERSOLD!  And to sweeten the deal, we'll throw in even MORE Freedom and Liberty for free!

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1