Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

How has Greg Abbott made Texas Exceptional?

These are the stats that should be in every campaign ad and all that comes out of any democratic candidates mouth. But, it won’t. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

I heard a story on the Texas Standard radio show this morning about the razor wire and the buoys. Cliffs Notes:

The orange balls are connected to a fence of cables underneath that are attached to cement footings, so you can't swim under. As shown above, there is basically a giant circular saw blade in between each buoy so you can't safely go over.

The actual border runs down the middle of the Rio Grande, they are closer to the US bank, so they are technically on the US side. They are a violation of US-Mexico treaties however.

On the US side, in addition to the razor wire you see, there is razor wire hidden in the muck under the water. Anybody wading would get sliced. Which means its not intended to be a deterrent, its just simple cruelty. Remember also, other than in the Big Bend region, most of the land on the US border is private, or municipally owned, right up the middle of the river. Somebody or some municipality, is losing their access to the river. 

Most of the atrocities you are hearing about (pushing migrants back into the water, denying aid to injured or pregnant migrants, etc) is being done by DPS or Texas Guardsmen. Border Patrol will take them into custody, give them water and first aid, and take them to a detention center for processing.

JFC, Abbot and Texas making Border Patrol the good guys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4.5 years of his term(s) as Governor.  Could have created "Texas Whataburger Day" any time during that tenure.  4.5 years into office, they sell to a chicago-based private equity firm and now it's one of the least-Texas brands we have around the Lone Star State.  So naturally, now...he picks it to get its own day despite having almost no ties any longer to Texas.  

Is he really this fucking tone-deaf?  

Oh, the Oilers are moving to Tennessee?  Maybe we should make tomorrow "Texas Oilers Day"?  Fucking dipshit.  You name shit like this when the company has its roots in your state and skin in the game, not after they pull out.  But then you wouldn't know that means...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Smax said:

Well I'm just gonna be the asshole and make the disabled-insensitive joke y'all are thinking of right now.  Something, something, Buzz Saw, He Had to Split, Running Man can't Actually Run because of his legs, real GOP Arnold wouldn't do this in California even for Family Feud ratings, dystopian cruelty for ratings, Buzz Saw, crippled guy can't be Running Man, only in a rerun, etc.  

Go to Wednesday mass you assholes. Because we'renot really alive

58 minutes ago, Smax said:

Somewhere, on one of these other threads, we were discussing "educated conservatives". Here's one of their fucking poster boys in all of his ghoulish torture/murder kink glory.

Something something something "pro-life party" something something.

I’m an admitted moron but isn’t this string of buoys only like 1000 feet long at the moment? Is this blocking a really popular place to cross where it’s difficult to get around the buoys for a long distance in both directions? Because otherwise, WTF are people getting anywhere close to this Abbott boondoggle in the first place to get trapped or maimed or killed. (I understand there’s probably a much longer run of razor wire on the shore.)

We're paying coyotes to move people in cover of night to these zones where the buoys/wires are placed.  We're giving them money, in addition to what they're already being paid by the travelers to use these zones to show their deterrence.   You're not a "moron", you just don't know what we're capable of.  If you think this is fucked up, wait until you see what's next.  Not even Brisket can morbidly predict what's next.  

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Not even Brisket can morbidly predict what's next.  

Ahh, you forget Brisket's Maxim: "There is no bottom."

At this point, I don't put it past Abbott to set up a shooting gallery on the banks of the river for his top donors to have the personal privilege of wasting a brown person.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stilicho said:

Somewhere, on one of these other threads, we were discussing "educated conservatives". Here's one of their fucking poster boys in all of his ghoulish torture/murder kink glory.

Something something something "pro-life party" something something.

The Republican millennials I know in my life still can't vote democrat. They'll vote for libertarian parties who would be a whole other mess rather than cast a vote for a 'd'.

They will contort their brains in ways I can't understand.

I just don't understand how incredibly tribal people in their late 30's can be. It's weird how much people wrap their identity into politics.

I'm not a democrat b/c 'D's' are cool. Their policies align the most with my beliefs. I have no loyalty to the brand. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

just don't understand how incredibly tribal people in their late 30's can be. It's weird how much people wrap their identity into politics.

I'm not a democrat b/c 'D's' are cool. Their policies align the most with my beliefs. I have no loyalty to the brand. 

Could be that some have built up this image on social media over the last 10-15 years or so, and they can't easily course-correct or change aspects of their lives if it goes against that image.

When I bailed on the GOP, I was around 30, but this was during George W's first administration, and social media as we know it, was not something I was a part of it, so I didn't have to worry about it.

If you can push them libertarian, that's better than (R), and most likely they won't even bother to show up and vote.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I couldn’t imagine being such a failure of a human being. What a horrible group of humans  …..

I see your "Noah's flood" and raise you "baby Moses floating down the river and getting mauled by razor wire".

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Greg Abbott kills children. Is he even aware this happened  ? An immigrant child on the way to Chicago died on abbott’s bus. 

https://x.com/ryanchandlertv/status/1690137639393853440?s=46&t=cH-LvFrUDSIxqTdoyXUTxg

MAGA: Kid shouldn't have been here, this would never have happened if he hadn't come here! 

Abbott cares about these kids as much as MAGA cares for Abbott.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

He’s going to tear down the entire county just to suppress the vote …..

Mass Layoffs in Special Ed Yesterday at #HISD 

#HTU was advised that ALL Special Education contract speech therapists, educational diagnosticians & school psychologists were informed on Friday (08/11) their contracts had
been terminated effective immediately

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s going to tear down the entire county just to suppress the vote …..

Mass Layoffs in Special Ed Yesterday at #HISD 

#HTU was advised that ALL Special Education contract speech therapists, educational diagnosticians & school psychologists were informed on Friday (08/11) their contracts had
been terminated effective immediately

I think we can all agree that if there's one thing that Texas has too much of, it's definitely <checks notes>... special ed teachers?

• Rage+1 2

Wait, Houston ISD?  The weekend before school starts?  ALL?  What are they gonna do for Special Ed or Speech?  There's got to be more to this.  And no not "Brisket's:  Cruelty is the Point."  There's to be some other excuse/rationale.  They don't even pull this shit in black school districts in Alabama.  

Wait, Houston ISD?  The weekend before school starts?  ALL?  What are they gonna do for Special Ed or Speech?  There's got to be more to this.  And no not "Brisket's:  Cruelty is the Point."  There's to be some other excuse/rationale.  They don't even pull this shit in black school districts in Alabama.  

Ahem. My rule has been amended, keep up: “the EXTREME AND IRRATIONAL cruelty is the point.” And there you have it, the entirety of the current GQP policy platform. Well, that, and a fixation on Hunter’s giant dong.
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Greg Abbott kills children. Is he even aware this happened  ? An immigrant child on the way to Chicago died on abbott’s bus. 

https://x.com/ryanchandlertv/status/1690137639393853440?s=46&t=cH-LvFrUDSIxqTdoyXUTxg

Yeah. Killing a 3 year old to own the libs. It’s surreal there are no actual or political consequences. It’s truly astounding GOP voters in Texas don’t care if Texas kills kids in the foster care system, immigrant children on buses, or doing nothing in response to mass shootings at schools. 

Sure did get some sweet segments on Fox News though 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ahem. My rule has been amended, keep up: “the EXTREME AND IRRATIONAL cruelty is the point.” And there you have it, the entirety of the current GQP policy platform. Well, that, and a fixation on Hunter’s giant dong.

It’s simpler. It’s a means of sabotaging government and then turning around and saying “See? Look at the failures of government” Especially when they can blame their favorite boogeyman Lina Hildago. 

Just utter contempt for the constituents they are charged with governing- and belief they’re too stupid to see what’s happening 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yeah. Killing a 3 year old to own the libs. It’s surreal there are no actual or political consequences. It’s truly astounding GOP voters in Texas don’t care if Texas kills kids in the foster care system, immigrant children on buses, or doing nothing in response to mass shootings at schools. 

them kids born? yeah? fuck them kids. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Well you see the children have already been born. Caring about the child ended the minute they exited the birth canal. Three year old dies on a bus in the beginning of their life? WELL THAT’S JUST THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS. 

What an awful human being representing a truly horrific voting bloc. I can set aside many things, but one of the things you cannot let pass is a child dying because of the cruelty of an aging dictator wannabe. He truly deserves everything coming his way. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The schools are easy to figure out. Remove the Special Education teachers. Put all behavior kids in massive rooms with online learning. The libraries are the new behavior classrooms. Have coaches / security / minimal teachers for questions - save millions and test out mass computer education at the same time. Pearson gets $$$$$.

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

but what is "coming his way?" Being governor until he dies? 

Aside from being a miserable person, which can in large part be blamed on the tree taking away his ability to walk, it seems he decided to make sure others also suffered. Taking out his anger on the least among us, as well as the precious gift that is a child, seems to be where he is comfortable inflicting pain. 

I know this isn’t for everyone to believe, but if he doesn’t get repaid in full in this life I believe he will in what is to come. I believe hell has a special place for the Abbott’s, Limbaugh’s, Hawley’s and Trump’s of the world. I eschew violence, but if I saw him on the roadside on fire I’d be hard-pressed to not look for more gasoline to put on his fire. Sending an innocent child to their death is something he should be reminded of for all eternity.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wasn’t part of the rationale for the take over under performance in Special Ed or was that the reasoning for wanting to take over AISD? I can’t keep the excuses straight any longer.

Greg Abbott Sport GIF by UFC

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/08/11/texas-prison-lawsuit-fetal-rights/

A prison guard says she was forced to stay at her post during labor pains. Texas is fighting compensation for her stillbirth.

The seven-months-pregnant officer reported contraction-like pains at work, but said she wasn’t allowed to leave for hours. The anti-abortion state is fighting her lawsuit, in part by saying her fetus didn’t clearly have rights.

On a warm November night, Salia Issa had just begun her shift as an Abilene prison officer when she felt the intense pain of what she believed was a contraction.

Seven months pregnant, Issa said she quickly alerted her supervisors. She told them she needed to go to the hospital but knew prison policy wouldn’t allow her to leave her post until someone could replace her. No one came for hours.

Issa kept calling for relief, but her supervisor repeatedly refused her, even telling her she was lying, according to a federal lawsuit filed against the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and prison officials.

Eventually, two and a half hours after the pain started, the expectant mother said she was allowed to leave the Middleton Unit. As quickly as the pain would allow her, Issa drove to a nearby hospital, where doctors rushed her into emergency surgery after being unable to find a fetal heartbeat. The baby was delivered stillborn.

If Issa had gotten to the hospital sooner, medical personnel told her, the baby would have survived, the lawsuit claims.

Nearly a year later, Issa and her husband, Fiston Rukengeza, on behalf of themselves and their unborn child, sued TDCJ and three of Issa’s supervisors — Brandy Hooper, Desmond Thompson and Alonzo Hammond. They argue the state caused the death of their child by violating state and federal laws as well as the U.S. Constitution, and they are seeking money to cover medical costs and funeral expenses and to compensate for pain and suffering.

But the prison agency and the Texas attorney general’s office, which has staked its reputation on “defending the unborn” all the way up to the U.S. Supreme Court, are arguing the agency shouldn’t be held responsible for the stillbirth because staff didn’t break the law. Plus, they said, it’s not clear that Issa’s fetus had rights as a person.

“Just because several statutes define an individual to include an unborn child does not mean that the Fourteenth Amendment does the same,” the Texas attorney general’s office wrote in a March footnote, referring to the constitutional right to life.

For more than two decades, in legislation passed by lawmakers and defended in court by the attorney general’s office, Texas has insisted “unborn children” be recognized as people starting at fertilization. And although it has traditionally referred to all stages of pregnancy, from fertilized egg to birth, as an unborn child, the state repeatedly referred to Issa’s stillborn baby as a fetus in legal briefings.

It’s a stark shift in tone from the state’s self-proclaimed status as “a nationwide leader in the protection of the unborn” in the anti-abortion fight. A few months after Issa lost her unborn child, now-suspended Attorney General Ken Paxton said in a press release that he would “continue to fight tirelessly for the rights of the unborn.” Paxton had not yet been impeached and was still at the helm of the agency when the state’s motions in Issa’s case were filed.

The state’s argument relies largely — but not exclusively — on the timing of the tragedy. Issa lost her unborn child seven months before the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in the famous Dobbs decision.

“This Court need not weigh into the difficult question of whether, post-Dobbs, an unborn child possesses constitutional rights under the Fourteenth Amendment,” wrote Benjamin Dower, with the attorney general’s special litigation office, in a January filing. “Even if he or she does, that right was not clearly established on November 15, 2021.”

The change in tune when it’s the state accused of wrongdoing is striking, said Mary Ziegler, a legal historian focused on abortion and fetal rights at University of California, Davis. She said she didn’t understand why the state opted to fight the lawsuit instead of taking the opportunity to say, “We don’t treat unborn children like this in the state of Texas.”

“It seems sort of weird for the state to say, ‘We’ve spent decades saying Roe v. Wade was a horrible violation of human rights. But back in 2021, this violation of human rights allowed us not to get this employee relief,’” she said.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

I think we can all agree that if there's one thing that Texas has too much of, it's definitely ... special ed teachers?
Those special needs kids would make excellent armed school guards. Give them ARs, and lower the age to work to 12 and we can keep up our conservative bona files with Arkansas. It would be embarrassing if we are considered less backward than Arkansas. The Aggies do a lot of heavy to that end, but sometimes we need the Lege to get us over the Mississippi/ Arkansas hump and on to glory.

Maybe hire a midget with a broom to sweep those teachers out of school.