Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

43 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

wrong-not.gif

My recollection is that he hadn't leaned anywhere near as hard into the culture war bullshit that Trump/Desantis have embraced. Any fucky-fucky he was doing was going on behind the scenes. I guess my point is that he seems to be several orders of magnitude more vile than he was pre-COVID.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I guess my point is that he seems to be several orders of magnitude more vile than he was pre-COVID.

The leadership gauges the beliefs and attitudes of the base and responds accordingly so that they will remain a viable candidate. I would argue that the GQP base has become increasingly vile, which is why the politicians are marching to their level.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

My recollection is that he hadn't leaned anywhere near as hard into the culture war bullshit that Trump/Desantis have embraced. Any fucky-fucky he was doing was going on behind the scenes. I guess my point is that he seems to be several orders of magnitude more vile than he was pre-COVID.

During the COVID stuff, he had Allen West, then head of the Texas Republican Party (or Republican Party of Texas, or whatever), protesting outside the Governor's Mansion, in his official capacity as the party chief. Now West was eventually sent packing, but I'm sure it spooked him a bit that he saw people like West trying to destroy him in the eyes of MAGA.  Then not too long after, the Mogwai enters the Republican gubernatorial primary, and not only that, but the Mogwai has those two West Texas fracking billionaires throwing a bunch of money at him, to again, destroy him in the eyes of MAGA.

Whatever Abbott was prior to COVID, he had covered it up pretty well, but he put it on full display in his knee-jerk reactions and his cowardly ways afterward, and we are all paying a price, both financially as taxpayers, but in other ways (especially those of us in the minority and LBGTQ communities). 

He's staring down the fact that he's pushing 70 and is being seen as irrelevant outside of Texas - hell, DeSantis will beat him in the Texas primaries next year, and it's possible that Abbott won't even crack the top 3 in the Republican primary in Texas.

And all of that goes to show you how shortsighted and small-minded Abbott is - as I've said, he could have spent these years building and polishing a reputation as a competent and good Governor for all Texans.  Being disabled, he could have really leaned into that and worked on making things better for Texans who have various disabilities, whether they were born with them, incurred them in an accident like he did, or our combat vets who were injured over seas.  The kind of stuff that would get schools named after him.

Instead, he's gone into full "FUCK YOU IF YOU CAN'T HELP ME GET IN THE WHITE HOUSE, EVEN IN A CABINET POSITION, YOU'RE A WASTE OF OXYGEN" mode.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Can we we at least give an award to the tree for the effort?  Like a “Thanks for Trying” historical marker? 

Participation Trophy. Pubs love those.

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

like, i want to fight this man in a wheelchair. i don't even care if it's a fair fight. 

what has he become or was he always this way?

I remember people on whatever board was around when Perry was leaving and we were trying to figure out who the heir apparent was - a lot of people said watch out for Abbott. He's worse than Perry and loves to rile up the pretend Christians too. Those people were right. I think he's been vile ever since his god took his ability to get an erection. fuck him.

22 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Several people have said they think this is all so he can run for president.  I think it's so that he can run for Senate to be Ted Cruz's crazy buddy.

Cornyn isn't up until 2026, when Abbott will be pushing 70. I don't think the GOP will support him at that age, and a lot is going to happen between now and then - Greg won't be making himself any more popular - the desperation we see now will pale in comparison to what we see over the next 9-10 months. The GOP is going to want somebody younger and with some actual charisma.  And that's assuming Cornyn doesn't decide to run again at 74.

And Abbott would have to fight off fitlump.

22 hours ago, C-Man said:

You're acting like there's some core principle involved. There isn't. Greg Abbott's sole agenda is and always has been doing what his Rabbi Dave Carney says will advance Greg Abbott to the White House or as near to it as possible. 20 years ago that meant the compassionate conservative act. Now it's a contest to be the biggest asshole possible. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

20 years ago that meant the compassionate conservative act. Now it's a contest to be the biggest asshole possible. 

And surprisingly, there's still a few Christian churches out there that are actually willing to show compassion and help people.

But the church of the GQP wants to know how many brown people are dying per mile of Abbott's border bullshit and they also want to know why isn't the number higher.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

And surprisingly, there's still a few Christian churches out there that are actually willing to show compassion and help people.

But the church of the GQP wants to know how many brown people are dying per mile of Abbott's border bullshit and they also want to know why isn't the number higher.

Truth

Sure they will, just invite the press first.

On 6/16/2023 at 7:06 AM, Captainant said:

The lack of long term thinking from our UNGA BUNGA state lege is unsurprising and frustrating. There's only going to be more and more broken down shit boxes littering the roads and clogging traffic and driving up insurance premiums even further. 

Goddamnit. 

Yep. I just ... I can't even remotely understand ... I'm so confused ... got dammit. I guess I just don't know shit about fuck anymore. Vehicle inspections are a necessary evil. Or so I thought. 

What a bunch of fucking morons.

41 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. I just ... I can't even remotely understand ... I'm so confused ... got dammit. I guess I just don't know shit about fuck anymore. Vehicle inspections are a necessary evil. Or so I thought. 

Was talking to an insurance guy the other day and he said that they are already seeing rates go up. All in the name of “freedom” I guess. 

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Was talking to an insurance guy the other day and he said that they are already seeing rates go up. All in the name of “freedom” I guess. 

What I'm struggling with is trying to discern the 'reasoning' behind this move. That, and I'm trying to envision how such a movement even got started. You know ... who woke up one morning thinking "By Gawd, these insidious state vehicle inspections just will not stand!!!" ?

Edited by wood

He's running for president (but really the VP spot or at least a cabinet post). That's all this is about. He needs headlines, and he's hoping the Biden admin. gives it to him.

But here’s the thing: It would have to be a GOP president for him to make it that far, and right now that still looks like it’d be Trump.  And Trump wouldn’t give him the chance because he probably sees his disability as a sign of weakness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/26/2023 at 9:46 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm sure Johnny Sack's congregation will be out in front of the governor's mansion protesting this.  

I mean followers of Christ's teachings would be livid about this, or did I misunderstand Jesus's teachings as a child?   

But my guess is that given the choice, 90% of his congregation would attend a dotard rally in place of protesting the cruel treatment of desperate families. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

They can charge more because we are legally required to buy insurance if we want to use a car to go wherever we may want. So if all the insurers raise rates at the same time then they all get away with it and we get fucked. 

Is this your first time doing a capitalism or something? Shit flows downhill, it doesn't trickle. 

24 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

But here’s the thing: It would have to be a GOP president for him to make it that far, and right now that still looks like it’d be Trump.  And Trump wouldn’t give him the chance because he probably sees his disability as a sign of weakness. 

Abbott cannot read a room at all.  He's going to go down as one of the worst Governors of Texas in history, and he doesn't even realize it. 

And it's weird, because on the one hand, he knows that even Harris County on its own could flip the state and boot out Republicans like him, so he has some awareness - otherwise he and the TRP wouldn't be trying to disenfranchise the larger counties.

But then he's constantly doing shit that just makes him look weak and impotent (no joke intended). He looks and acts like a small little man that is angry at the world, even though he's doing better than 99% of the people he ostensibly governs. 

And I get him being angry over being disabled, but he should be using his disability to his advantage, and trying to help other disabled people, not trying to see how he can shit all over people that he doesn't like.

1 hour ago, sasquatch69 said:

You don't need a wheelchair, you're just WEAK! /frankcostanza

3 hours ago, NAVY said:

I like the Texas that’s about bluebonnets, no litter, football, Stevie Ray and BBQ. Also good beer. 

This killing immigrants with barbed wire floating orange balls shit is insane.

What the fucking fuck? Abbott is the fucking worst Texas leadership in my lifetime. 

Fuck you Abbott, Fuck you! 

That Texas has been hijacked by terrorists. About time we do something about it

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, wood said:

Simple, follow the money.

On 8/3/2023 at 6:17 PM, CTC2 said:

Oh, ^ there it is.

I don't know the percentage anymore but at one time a HUGE number of state legislators were insurance salesmen.

How has Greg Abbott made Texas Exceptional?

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 4

How has Greg Abbott made Texas Exceptional?

I’ve been told that’s called winning
  • Like 2