The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

What are you talking about?

This:

"Paperwork submitted on behalf of Bernie Sanders’ political action committee shows over $10 million in unnamed contributions pouring in from the nation’s capital.

The mystery money appears on a Schedule A-P filed with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) by the Bernie 2016 presidential campaign committee with a receipt date of 30 June 2015. The report shows $10,465,912.39 in “Unitemized” receipts for the Primary election. (Transaction ID VPF7BEDRRH8E, page 9845.)

This report highlights the already problematic donations to Bernie 2016. On 11 February, $23 million was cited by the FEC as in violation of campaign finance regulations.

The federal form states that the $10 million is an aggregate of individual $35 donations, all with the same date and all originating from Washington, D.C.  This would require 299,026 separate donors, which equals roughly half the population of the capital."

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

This:

"Paperwork submitted on behalf of Bernie Sanders’ political action committee shows over $10 million in unnamed contributions pouring in from the nation’s capital.

The mystery money appears on a Schedule A-P filed with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) by the Bernie 2016 presidential campaign committee with a receipt date of 30 June 2015. The report shows $10,465,912.39 in “Unitemized” receipts for the Primary election. (Transaction ID VPF7BEDRRH8E, page 9845.)

This report highlights the already problematic donations to Bernie 2016. On 11 February, $23 million was cited by the FEC as in violation of campaign finance regulations.

The federal form states that the $10 million is an aggregate of individual $35 donations, all with the same date and all originating from Washington, D.C.  This would require 299,026 separate donors, which equals roughly half the population of the capital."

That's over two years ago.

What happened?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

This:

That's a Wordpress blog.  I could make up shit and write it in a Wordpress blog.  Perhaps there are some more substantial publications you'd like to cite?

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

That's a Wordpress blog.  I could make up shit and write it in a Wordpress blog.  Perhaps there are some more substantial publications you'd like to cite?

If it's being misinterpreted, take a stab at explaining it:

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Meaning what?

The strategy: Adding financial fuel to Sanders' campaign expanded the size the voting wedge on the left and created an opening for even more discontent and suppression - i.e. sow division with additional layers provocation to prevent Sanders' supporters from turning out to vote in the general.

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

The strategy: Adding financial fuel to Sanders' campaign expanded the size the voting wedge on the left and created an opening for even more discontent and suppression - i.e. sow division with additional layers provocation to prevent Sanders' supporters from turning out to vote in the general.

Suppression? That's a little strong.

Who am I supposed to be mad at? I voted for both of them. 

Edited by David Dennison

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Suppression? That's a little strong.

Who am I supposed to be mad at? I voted for both of them. 

Suppression is an accurate description.  If the goal is to find ways to get Sanders' voters fired up enough about his candidacy and outraged at Hillary so they don't vote for her in the general, and that goal is by design, it's a suppression tactic.  You may have voted for both, but a lot of Berners didn't.  The 2016 election attack was equal opportunity on the left and the right.

Also, note that Tad Devine signed on to the a Sanders 2016 run in November 2014.  2013 was when complex planning got formally revved up between Trump and Russian interests for 2016.  The timing of Devine slipping into Sanders' orbit followed by a large infusion of unexplained campaign cash certainly fits.

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

^^^ What is this?

Apologies for the truncated form.  It's Schedule A-P filed with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) by the Bernie 2016 presidential campaign committee with a receipt date of 30 June 2015. The report shows $10,465,912.39 in “Unitemized” receipts. 

Here's a link to the complete form at the FEC.gov website: Bernie 2016 Schedule A-P Itemized Recipts

Again, even though the contributions pertain to June 2015, the important consideration is that Tad Devine (who worked with Manafort in Ukraine) joined Bernie for President 2016 in Nov 2014.  Trump/Russia planning took off in earnest in 2013.  If Devine was involved in getting Russian cash lined up to help fuel a legitimate campaign, the dates line up.  

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/06/politics/rudy-giuliani-robert-mueller-trump-interview/index.html

President Donald Trump's legal team demanded that before the President agrees to an interview, the special counsel's team must prove it has evidence of Trump committing a crime and that it needs testimony from the President to conclude its probe, The New York Times reported Friday.

According to the Times, Trump's legal team set its new conditions on Friday with the special counsel team led by former FBI Director Robert Mueller. The demands mark further reason to believe the President will not submit voluntarily to an interview with the special counsel. 

The Times account painted a picture of Trump's legal team as increasingly willing to combat the Mueller investigation while seeking to influence public opinion.

Rudy Giuliani told the Times that Mueller probably would not agree to these conditions. He conceded it was still possible the President would agree to an interview and continued to question the objectivity of the investigators. 

"If they can come to us and show us the basis and that it's legitimate and that they have uncovered something, we can go from there and assess their objectivity," Giuliani said.

The same report said Trump's lawyers had contested a request from the special counsel team to interview White House chief of staff John Kelly, with White House lawyer Emmet Flood seeking to learn what investigators plan to ask and to narrow the topics of an interview.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/06/politics/rudy-giuliani-robert-mueller-trump-interview/index.html
President Donald Trump's legal team demanded that before the President agrees to an interview, the special counsel's team must prove it has evidence of Trump committing a crime and that it needs testimony from the President to conclude its probe, The New York Times reported Friday.
According to the Times, Trump's legal team set its new conditions on Friday with the special counsel team led by former FBI Director Robert Mueller. The demands mark further reason to believe the President will not submit voluntarily to an interview with the special counsel. 
The Times account painted a picture of Trump's legal team as increasingly willing to combat the Mueller investigation while seeking to influence public opinion.
Rudy Giuliani told the Times that Mueller probably would not agree to these conditions. He conceded it was still possible the President would agree to an interview and continued to question the objectivity of the investigators. 
"If they can come to us and show us the basis and that it's legitimate and that they have uncovered something, we can go from there and assess their objectivity," Giuliani said.
The same report said Trump's lawyers had contested a request from the special counsel team to interview White House chief of staff John Kelly, with White House lawyer Emmet Flood seeking to learn what investigators plan to ask and to narrow the topics of an interview.

So “show us what you got so we can make sure we limit our discussion to that and keep out all the other shit he did.”

Ok.gif

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

And so it begins 

Lawyers talk a lot of shit.  But that's pretty interesting shit.  Of course, it's likely just calculated to put Cohen in a good light, whether he intends to follow through or not.

Word on the street is that Cohen isn’t just flipping, he’s flipping hard.  Like “fuck your pardon bullshit, I’m going to be on the right side of history when this is all over.”

Hiring Hillary’s attorney was Cohen’s way of saying to Trump, “We are done. It’s over. I’m not coming back. Do what you gotta do.”

Again, it’s the word on the street.

How this will likely play out with Cohen:  he’s going to plead guilty to something relatively small in exchange for cooperation.  It will be like Michael Flynn’s plea deal.

The big mystery is what he will plea guilty to.  Obstruction of some sorts or making false statements would be my best guess.

Word on the street is that Cohen isn’t just flipping, he’s flipping hard.  Like “fuck your pardon bullshit, I’m going to be on the right side of history when this is all over.”
Hiring Hillary’s attorney was Cohen’s way of saying to Trump, “We are done. It’s over. I’m not coming back. Do what you gotta do.”

What street?

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Some street in Louisiana?

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

What street?

8 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Some street in Louisiana?

It’s the culmination of things I’ve heard from reporters and people close to Cohen.  

Also lines up with Cohen’s out of character public statements of “the FBI are very fine people.” And “using kids in cages as a political tool is a bridge too far and wrong.”

Basically, Cohen is a lot like Trump in that he cares first and foremost about how the world perceives him.  He loves the lifestyle of being someone special in high society.  He would eat breakfast with Mark Cuban just to hopefully get a photo to cross Trump’s desk.  

He doesn’t want to be the villain anymore, which he is BTW.  He wants to be more like his crime buddy FBI/CIA informant Felix Sater.

All signs point to him taking this road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-called-michael-cohen-about-mark-cuban-breakfast-2018-4

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

51 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s the culmination of things I’ve heard from reporters and people close to Cohen.  

Also lines up with Cohen’s out of character public statements of “the FBI are very fine people.” And “using kids in cages as a political tool is a bridge too far and wrong.”

Basically, Cohen is a lot like Trump in that he cares first and foremost about how the world perceives him.  He loves the lifestyle of being someone special in high society.  He would eat breakfast with Mark Cuban just to hopefully get a photo to cross Trump’s desk.  

He doesn’t want to be the villain anymore, which he is BTW.  He wants to be more like his crime buddy FBI/CIA informant Felix Sater.

All signs point to him taking this road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-called-michael-cohen-about-mark-cuban-breakfast-2018-4

He’s also a Democrat. 

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Seriously, though, as mentioned upthread (I think), in civil cases, witnesses get woodshedded like hell.  The opponent is going to use any means within its disposal to find out what the product of that woodshedding will be (usually a deposition, sometimes just an informal interview), and, if possible, do a bit of their own woodshedding.

Depositions in a criminal case are fairly rare.  Investigators talking to witnesses is not.  Now, all of this woodshedding usually falls somewhat short of witness tampering and obstruction (that is, no quid pro quo, no threats of violence, etc.), but it is definitely designed to produce testimony favorable to one side or the other.

It seems to me that, as a general proposition, the defense ought to be able to "debrief" prosecution witnesses if circumstances permit.  That it doesn't happen very often, particularly for government witnesses (those closely identified, employed by, or cooperating with the government under some sort of plea or immunity arrangement).  I'm not sure where you draw the ethical line on this in a criminal case (short of quid pro quo and violence) and is a subtle reason, again, that the government holds the whip hand in any prosecution.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Was the consensus that his case was wrapped up once he pled guilty?  Because it looks like it may not be quite so wrapped up.

Mueller keeps pushing Flynn’s sentencing back two months at a time.  It could have something to do with that.