The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My first thought was "freedom of the press".  Are they arguing the press can release stolen information, or anybody?  Haven't had time to dig in.

EDIT:  Just read another post, which makes some sense.  It's the conspiracy to steal that's probably the bigger issue, not the release of the material itself.  (If I'm reading you right.)

Yeah I think that's right.  Freedom of press/speech concerns protect dissemination or publication of information that has a public interest connection, so it's hard/impossible to impose civil or criminal liability for mere dissemination of information, regardless of where/how obtained.  The First Amendment is not implicated by criminal acts in obtaining (stealing, hacking, burglarizing, etc.) to obtain the information.

In this particular context it's the DNC's (or others) civil suit for misappropriation of trade secrets where they are advancing that defense.  Brief here if anyone cares.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

You have to think that Mueller already has the answers. No way they would let him give written otherwise. Seems like an easy way to prove a lie.

He's not going to ask a single question he doesn't already know the answer to.

Donald Trump has no idea what Mueller knows.

That's why this is so wonderfully dumb on Donald Trump's part.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure I prefer the idea of Trump providing written answers that will obviously be scrubbed by attorneys.  I'd much rather him sit and speak extemporaneously, which would lead to an unstoppable train of false information spewing from his mouth.

The thing with Trump is if you let him keep talking and talking he will eventually tell you the truth and brag about it like an idiot.

Like the Lester Holt interview 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The thing with Trump is if you let him keep talking and talking he will eventually tell you the truth and brag about it like an idiot.

Like the Lester Holt interview 

I dunno.  He will lie a lot, and then contradict himself without telling the truth.  I've never seen anything quite like it.

The guy can't even stay on a self-serving message.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure I prefer the idea of Trump providing written answers that will obviously be scrubbed by attorneys.  I'd much rather him sit and speak extemporaneously, which would lead to an unstoppable train of false information spewing from his mouth.

This is true, but his attorneys don't know what Mueller knows, either.

I'm hoping some dumbassery gets out in the process.

There is no way his attorneys think this is a good idea.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

This is true, but his attorneys don't know what Mueller knows, either.

I'm hoping some dumbassery gets out in the process.

There is no way his attorneys think this is a good idea.

Hell, Trump's attorneys don't know what is truth or lies coming from Trump either. Hard to protect a client who is an idiot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The beauty of Trump is that he would continue to tell you the sky is green after you have both walked outside to confirm what color the sky actually is. I believe that he convinces himself, no, that's not right.. I believe he's a pathological liar. Or maybe just so arrogant that he just dgaf. I don't know...dude is just weird with the lying.

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

The beauty of Trump is that he would continue to tell you the sky is green after you have both walked outside to confirm what color the sky actually is. I believe that he convinces himself, no, that's not right.. I believe he's a pathological liar. Or maybe just so arrogant that he just dgaf. I don't know...dude is just weird with the lying.

The question is though, if he actually believes the lies he is telling, is he actually lying.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

The question is though, if he actually believes the lies he is telling, is he actually lying.

I don't know. Maybe if you catch him shortly after he tells the lie before he has a chance to think about it. Then again... maybe it's a matter of "Well, if I said it, it must be true" - is the internal conversation. I've known one person in my life who for certain was a pathological liar and it was weird. Nice enough guy but the whole just lying thing about just SHIT got a bit old. And he'd rather die than give an inch on whether it was a lie or not. Could be infuriating if you pursued it.

1 hour ago, Lagunamadre said:

Let me give you all a preview to every single answer. "I do not recall". 

His lawyers wish he could be that disciplined.  But that would imply that he has a less-than-great, terrific, failing memory.  Also doesn't work in response to written questions.

13 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I don't know. Maybe if you catch him shortly after he tells the lie before he has a chance to think about it. Then again... maybe it's a matter of "Well, if I said it, it must be true" - is the internal conversation. I've known one person in my life who for certain was a pathological liar and it was weird. Nice enough guy but the whole just lying thing about just SHIT got a bit old. And he'd rather die than give an inch on whether it was a lie or not. Could be infuriating if you pursued it.

And now he's a supreme court justice  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

It made for an uncomfortable confirmation process but maybe it won't interfere with his job performance.

Maybe? Either he lied and did remember so he’s unfit to even be a judge next to Judy or he really didn’t remember and again he is unfit for having a shitastic memory. To be fair, there are a lot of olds on the court but they didn’t START OUT as clueless hacks. Plain and simple, kavenaugh lacks the testicular fortitude to be a justice. But that’s for another thread...

• Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Based on what tends to happen to former Russian assets I think I would almost prefer to wear the GPS.

I had the exact same thought, but then realized if they're packing bone saws similar to the Khashoggi murder, won't make much difference.

On the flip side, Gates is Mueller flypaper.  

39 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Micheal Cohen has spent 50+ hours with Mueller team and other federal prosecutors per Emily Jane Fox.

Perhaps they were just talking about the baseball playoffs?

Or maybe Bear Bryant is still alive and cooperating...

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Micheal Cohen has spent 50+ hours with Mueller team and other federal prosecutors per Emily Jane Fox.

Perhaps they were just talking about the baseball playoffs?

Cohen's cooperation involves "multiple investigations."  At the end of the day, this is about going after Transnational Criminal Organizations.

This news went unnoticed yesterday amidst the DNA squabble:

DoJ re-centering efforts to take down Transnational Criminal Organizations, aka international mob:

The new task force directed by DAG Rod Rosenstein under purview of Sessions will be appointed to tackle these TCO's:

The five on the streets:

•MS-13

•Cartel de Jalisco Nueva Generacion (CJNG)

•Sinaloa Cartel

•Clan del Golfo, and

•Lebanese Hezbollah.

---> Russian mob already has its own personal task force. 

Ultimately, they all do business together: narcotics, weapons/nukes, trafficking kids, prostitution, bribery and graft, money laundering etc.