2022 Senate Elections

Ghost of LL

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Another good reason to early vote.

we need to flip the naming of voting. Early voting today = voting. Voting on Election Day is procrastination or late voting.

My mother for years would vote on the first day of early vote. I asked her why and she said “if I die before Election Day I want my vote to count”. 
I do the same thing. 

Just now, CTC2 said:

My mother for years would vote on the first day of early vote. I asked her why and she said “if I die before Election Day I want my vote to count”. 
I do the same thing. 

They do run it against death records and some states throw your vote out. Others allow it to be challenged. Better off dying the day before Election Day so the county doesn’t have updated records by the time of counting lol

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Because some of our shithole states don’t allow it.

For some reason, my shithole state (Arkansas) is really good about it.  Two weeks prior to election day, every county has multiple spots.  Very easy.

I wish every state had the same standards.  It's like baseball.  Same game but all the playing fields are different.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

if Texas early voting shows a heavy Dem turnout, 10000000000% Texas will soon get rid of early voting 

I'm honestly fucking stunned they let it go on this year with Paxton and Patrick somewhat vulnerable.  It even expanded to include Sundays.  

I'm quite certain it will be dialed back in 2024 under the guise of "We just don't have the resources to monitor that many polling places for two whole weeks prior to Election Day and ensure ballot integrity."  -says Governor who can't the fuck up about our $26bn surplus, most of which will be "lost" on our "wall project."  

To your point about turnout, I'm very interested to see how it breaks down by party registration and then independents/undeclared.  Texas GOP is real worried about apathetic turnout for them.  Not enough to lose a statewide race, but enough to make some of them look way too close for comfort.  And only 4 House districts are remotely competitive this cycle out of 36.  But they are in areas where more and more folks are voting Republican the last 6 years.  If Democrats get to something like 75% turnout, it's game over for GOP.  But we know what's a long ways away from happening, particularly in a mid-term.  And I know there's some thinking on here that if you're not a lifetime, straight-ticket Democrat voter, then by intensive logic-you must be an evil Republican deep down inside. 

The most efficient way (meaning cheapest and fastest) to get over the 50%+1 hurdle is to continue to attract 5-10% of Republicans, 40% of Independents/Unaffiliated, and then 30-40% of Libertarians.  All the while stoking the thoughts by some older Republicans that the elections are still going there way, so they didn't bother to vote in person and certainly don't want to use scary dropboxes or vote by mail.  I see the demographic shifts favor the Democrat party, but the turnout of blue wave just focusing on existint Democrats is not working all that well.  It's making progress but it's a decade away, if not longer.  Literally several hundreds of thousands of Texas 3rd party and former Republicans turned out and voted for Biden in 2020.  With no organization, no outreach, if nothing else continuing to be shunned by both parties.  But they organically rose up, bundled money, put up signs and put a dent in Trump's lead.  Same thing can happen with Mike Collier.  Mike has done a really good job reaching out to voters who stopped pulling Republican primary ballots in 2018 or 2020.  Now many of those do that for other nefarious reasons.  But Collier's campaign realized "Patrick is a fucking douchebag who doesn't lead on shit.  More Republicans hate him than hate Trump.  Let's reach out to people that aren't voting in GOP primaries anymore or who stopped their donations to the party in the last 4-6 years and message them."  And I think he's going to have the most successful showing of any statewide Democrat in Texas (save for possibly AG).  Or he can try the old route and try and get Democrat turnout at a record high, unsuccessfully for the 37th time.  

1 million+ Texas voters will cast a general election ballot by tomorrow night.  Who are no longer party affiliated or were never.  Ignore them at your peril.  

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I see the demographic shifts favor the Democrat party, but the turnout of blue wave just focusing on existint Democrats is not working all that well.  It's making progress but it's a decade away, if not longer. 

Just like the next aggy championship

• Haha 2

I'm out here in Nevada this week, helping my friend who is trying to get reelected as the state's attorney general, and holy shit the political ads.  I don't think I've seen a single ad that isn't a political ad.  And every last one of them is negative--"X is too extreme for Nevada" or "Y isn't right for Nevada families."  I don't think I've ever seen a cycle like this where there genuinely isn't single positive ad out there.

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

3 out of 50 don't have it and it is ridiculous.

Alabama

Connecticut

New Hampshire

It's on the ballot this year in Connecticut. 

The amendment would amend the Connecticut Constitution to allow the Connecticut General Assembly to pass laws to provide for early voting in-person. Currently, the state constitution does not allow for early voting. 

Also you forgot Mississippi. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

3 out of 50 don't have it and it is ridiculous.

Alabama

Connecticut

New Hampshire

Missouri isn't on that list because they do have no excuse absentee voting, which is really early voting. However, in Jackson County, the KC area, there are only 3 places to go do it and they're only open 8:30 - 5:00 Monday thru Friday so not very convenient. 

what a weird crossover of states, that's got to be the only thing they all have in common-AL, MS, CT, NH?  Other than no pro sports teams and shitty food.  

AZ and NV close at 9:00-CST.  Oregon at 10:00p-CST.  Can't really think of any other westerly races I'm watching.  I guess McMullin in Utah, 9:00p our time.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:13 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Went to Catholic school my whole life and it’s a riot when I’ll connect with friends and the parents are drinking and asking “Have you heard about all this social justice being taught nowadays?”

Why yes I do. I had a semester my freshman, sophomore, and Senior year about it. You paid for it.

Me too. The social justice principles of the RCC were a focal point of my spiritual formation. If you didn’t know better, you’d think the Church was comprised of former Protestants who love all of the thou shall nots. 

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

what a weird crossover of states, that's got to be the only thing they all have in common-AL, MS, CT, NH?  Other than no pro sports teams and shitty food.  

AZ and NV close at 9:00-CST.  Oregon at 10:00p-CST.  Can't really think of any other westerly races I'm watching.  I guess McMullin in Utah, 9:00p our time.

Senate-wise, it's those too.  Oregon Gov/House races.  CA House races but those will take a week + with the mail. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

The 10-11 pm hour might be most interesting results wise.

28 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

https://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/final-ratings-for-the-2022-election/

final ratings from Sabato. They did move Nevada from toss up to lean dem. I disagree with them on Pennsylvania. I think the dems win there. I think the senate will be 50-50 if the dems hold Nevada.

I can't believe GA is voting in Walker. People are ragarded. 

Some notes

GA women outvoting men by 285,000 in early vote.

Michigan women have outvoted Michigan men by 200,000 in early vote 

Registered Democrats outvoted Registered Republicans by 535,000 in Pennsylvania early voting

Registered Democrats outvoted Registered Republicans by 146,000 in North Carolina early voting

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

I mention that because Kristi Noem has terrible numbers in all her elections, and along with the Medicaid vote there could be a sneaky flip in a perfect world.  I understand it’s a senate thread and nobody else cares ha

Democrats never work the technicalities like this and this could be something in the future for them to push hard or do it quietly in nomad message boards and Reddit. South Dakota had no income tax too

16 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Some notes

GA women outvoting men by 285,000 in early vote.

Michigan women have outvoted Michigan men by 200,000 in early vote 

Registered Democrats outvoted Registered Republicans by 535,000 in Pennsylvania early voting

Registered Democrats outvoted Registered Republicans by 146,000 in North Carolina early voting

Pussy riot.

• Like 1