Sweet Jawja Special Elections

Zonahorn

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

There’s people who have been out of work and 100% need those stimulus checks to get by and you think he’s virtue signaling because he said he cares about other people. Get a grip. If there was ever a time a person’s happiness is at stake in an election, it’s this one. But replace happiness with livelihood and it makes it more appropriate.

Virtue signaling cannot mean “this person cares about something I don’t.” Otherwise it will get added to the long list of ignored, woe is me, conservative grievances like “job-creator” and every “ism” that gets thrown out when it disagrees with your ideology.

Accusing someone else of virtue signaling is actually just vice signaling.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Do you have a disabled child whose entire fucking future depends on whether or not people are willing to give him a chance to contribute?

If not.... FUCK YOU.

Quoted to get on the next page, because @Buzzrock fuck you, your ancestors, and your children for 3,000 generations.

My son is directly impacted by what those redneck dumbasses in Georgia do.

My fucking SON, who has a speech delay and some muscular response issues. He is a better person than you will EVER be, and his fate rests entirely on what the fucking government does. 

So FUCK. YOU. To 1,000,000,000,000,000 degrees.

Sorry. Not personal. Ha.

Actually desiring good beats the hell out of cynically pretending to be a nihilist.

Not a nihilist. Sometimes a cynic. But caring about people has nothing to do with caring about who wins a senate seat. None of those people in Washington care about any of us at all.

Quoted to get on the next page, because [mention=90]Buzzrock[/mention] fuck you, your ancestors, and your children for 3,000 generations.

My son is directly impacted by what those redneck dumbasses in Georgia do.
My fucking SON, who has a speech delay and some muscular response issues. He is a better person than you will EVER be, and his fate rests entirely on what the fucking government does. 

So FUCK. YOU. To 1,000,000,000,000,000 degrees.
Sorry. Not personal. Ha.

I’m sorry about your son. You don’t know anything about me or my family or what we deal with. But maybe your vitriol makes you feel better.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Buzzrock said:

I’m sorry about your son. You don’t know anything about me or my family or what we deal with. But maybe your vitriol makes you feel better.

Fine, keep your fucking secrets. But keep your fucking cynicism as well. This election fucking matters, and you pretending it doesn't accomplishes nothing other than proving that you are an extraordinary asshole.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Not a nihilist. Sometimes a cynic. But caring about people has nothing to do with caring about who wins a senate seat. None of those people in Washington care about any of us at all.

It’s easy to get disillusioned but the personnel in DC absolutely does make a difference in people’s lives.  Imagine if Nixon won in 1960, what are the odds the Civil Rights Act gets passed in 1964?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t care who wins. Think of me what you will.

Okay. I think you are a piece of shit, and have as little moral worth as Donald Trump. I hope that makes you happy.

I'll just add, if I ever meet you, and you tell me of your cynicism face to face, I will, in fact, beat you to a pulp and feed you your own testicles. Nothing personal.

39 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Some days it's hard to get out of the gutter. Days when the fate of the free world rests on fucking GEORGIA are like that.

Was looking for something on Georgia, and somehow this is floating out there on tumblr, not sure if it's related to SB

tumblr_pm1x2ntwX81rz627h_540.jpg

And this is somehow appropriate

eto0s1vyk7051.jpg

Edited by atomheartbevo

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It would be ideal if everyone in Washington cared about us, but that's not how politics works in the real world. But in most functioning countries, some people in charge do care and the ones who don't know that they have to pretend otherwise to further their political careers (or at the very least, not end up at the wrong end of a rope). Your mindset though is why too many in Washington, including literally every Republican, don't even pretend anymore. And they need to be punished for that if we ever want things to return to something that resembles how things should actually work.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

What fucking track is that? Georgia matters. you're saying it doesn't. People's fucking futures depend on this, and you are treating it like a goddamned game.

Why do you give a shit what some stupid redneck from Georgia thinks? Your mind is made up about me. I doubt the thread wants to watch us slapfight for no reason.

Are we getting the John King election board tonight? He and his crew have had plenty of time to get fully informed about every important Georgia county.  I'm pumped to watch.

Side note, I googled how many Georgia counties. They're second to Texas (254) with 159 counties. How in the hell does GA have that many counties? Texas has too many as well.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Are we getting the John King election board tonight? He and his crew have had plenty of time to get fully informed about every important Georgia county.  I'm pumped to watch.

Side note, I googled how many Georgia counties. They're second to Texas (254) with 159 counties. How in the hell does GA have that many counties? Texas has too many as well.

In 1800, Georgia had 24 counties. As the state grew, so did the number of counties.

“Counties were created not to be so large that the citizens could not reach the county seat within a reasonable one day round trip,” Harry Hayes, Senior Public Service Associate with the University of Georgia’s Carl Vinson Institute of Government said.

There were political implications.

Until 1962, Georgia used the County Unit System to choose many elected officials. The system gave more political muscle to urban counties, so it benefited rural Georgia to create more counties and therefore more muscle.

“Another rural county, that’s two more rural votes there, off-set those interests in Atlanta,” Charles Bullock, Political Science Professor at the University of Georgia explained.

FFS.  We have an entire other thread about Senate Republicans trying to destroy democracy, and install a trump dictatorship.  And we are all of three days out from when the GOP president tried to extort this state's governor to fabricate votes, a move that at least one of the current GOP candidates supports.  I'm not sure how anyone can say who wins these races is meaningless.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

i would assume so.  Steve Kornacki on MSNBC has already fired up his board.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Why do you give a shit what some stupid redneck from Georgia thinks? Your mind is made up about me. I doubt the thread wants to watch us slapfight for no reason.

Because how they vote means the difference between whether my son gets to have a job with the DOD decoding Russian cyphers, or if he's expected to sit in a goddamned nursing home in Brenham weaving baskets.

Democrats are dumbasses, but they will give my son a future. Republicans are Nazis, and they will condemn him to masturbating in a morgue. It's that simple. And if you don't see that, you're an asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Tom Price just said if 800K vote then it goes R, less it goes D. That’s the first time I’ve heard someone say greater turnout helps the Rs.

ETA: 800K today. Based on what I’ve heard from voters and seen on TV, 800K ain’t happening today.

Uh, GOP needs probably at least 1 million votes if not more based on the demographic shifts in the EV. Price's dipshit ass probably thinks no Dems are turning out but that is not the case, seems like several people I used to work with early voted in November and waited until today for the runoff.

Just saw a huge Warnock sign being towed by a plane just ITP in Dekalb while I was driving.

It will be hard to tell when the results roll in if they're only absentee, in-person, or a mix, but the conservative exurb counties like Forsyth, Cherokee, and Hall are what I'm going to be watching. It was pretty clear Trump was in trouble in Georgia when those margins were coming in early on.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Tom Price just said if 800K vote then it goes R, less it goes D. That’s the first time I’ve heard someone say greater turnout helps the Rs.

ETA: 800K today. Based on what I’ve heard from voters and seen on TV, 800K ain’t happening today.

I would take turnout anecdotes today with a huge grain of salt.  It's still very early.

The models (yes, I know, blah blah blah, they sucked in general but were quite good for Georgia) give the Democrats a lead of about 250,000 to 300,000 votes going into today (D+10ish on 3 million votes).  Republicans would need turnout of 1 million and win it about 65-70% of the vote in-person today to nullify that.

For the record, November Election Day in-person turnout was about 900k or so.  And Trump only won that with 59% or so. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s easy to get disillusioned but the personnel in DC absolutely does make a difference in people’s lives.  Imagine if Nixon won in 1960, what are the odds the Civil Rights Act gets passed in 1964?  

John Lewis said there was only one politician in his life that he did not personally care for or felt like he could not trust and Nixon was that guy. I think the answer would have been a definite no. 

Here's my anecdote.  Both disgusting Republicans are going to win rather handily.

Maybe, but Georgia has been turning more and more blue every year. Atlanta is a city of transplants. Abrams ran a very good campaign and almost won the governorship.

Do we expect another red mirage tonight, where the mail-ins get counted late into the night and it's going to take us four days to know the winner?

My guess is we’ll know a result by end of day tomorrow. The Georgia SOS office has gotten pretty damn good at counting.
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Do we expect another red mirage tonight, where the mail-ins get counted late into the night and it's going to take us four days to know the winner?

Possibly, though I think the Raffensperger changed some procedures so that the mail-in ballots are pre-canvassed (i.e., opened, signature verified and ready to be scanned right at 7 ET) to make it go faster. 

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

There's fewer mail-in ballots and counties were required to start processing them a couple of weeks out instead of that being a suggestion. There's likely going to still be a ton of mail-in ballots that need to be counted in the coming days by just looking at the numbers, but the rural counties that have fewer people voting by mail will get their results in faster. This is why I said I'd be looking at the margins, it should quickly tell us where things are going. If Perdue doesn't hit the same margins he did in Hall or Cherokee county then him and Loeffler are probably screwed.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Need a hand with that big ol virtue signal?

I can't tell if this is satire of the hard-guy posturing some people do justify the idiotic world view that we are each in this world alone (and I got mine, so fuck you) or legit posturing by a lost psuedo-conservative justifying callous greed. The death of citizenship in a democratic society portends greater and greater disaster.

All anecdotal but good to hear. Fulton had one fewer in-person early voting day than most of the surrounding metro counties so if turnout is strong there then that should hopefully blunt any crazy surge in the NW or SE parts of the state.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

All anecdotal but good to hear. Fulton had one fewer in-person early voting day than most of the surrounding metro counties so if turnout is strong there then that should hopefully blunt any crazy surge in the NW or SE parts of the state.

As I said, take turnout anecdotes with a grain of salt.

But an official in the SOS office (anecdote, but from someone who knows) said virtually no lines across the state.  That is not good news for the GOP.  They need to hear of long lines in heavily R precincts and counties to feel good of 1 million + turnout by the rubes today. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Texas had a good reason for them - from what I recall, for many counties, the theory was that most residents could make it to and from the county seat within a day's ride.

Just now, Js1 said:

As I said, take turnout anecdotes with a grain of salt.

But an official in the SOS office (anecdote, but from someone who knows) said virtually no lines across the state.  That is not good news for the GOP.  They need to hear of long lines in heavily R precincts and counties to feel good of 1 million + turnout by the rubes today. 

Well Sterling just posted this, so that's directly from the source.

• Hook 'Em 1