Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

Great rule but I'm still waiting on the rule that eliminates scheduling cupcakes, especially of the FCS variety, in November. The sec will be able to further exploit that loophole if they're able to trot their freshman class out there and rest most of their two-deep.

• Like 2

Connelly previews OU: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-team-previews-2018

As with Oklahoma State, I do figure OU’s S&P+ projections are a bit skewed — not necessarily in the overall ranking (ninth feels about right to me), but in the No. 1 projection on offense and No. 49 projection on defense. Assume more regression on O and more improvement on D.

Also assume OU wins a lot of games. There’s no question that losing Mayfield and company will give a team like TCU, Texas, OSU, or WVU a chance to make up ground. But of those four contenders, only the Mountaineers have a proven QB.

Oh yeah, and at ninth, OU is the projected favorite in every game on the schedule. Only one game (the trip to TCU) is projected within a touchdown.

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

So I understand the rationale of riley's offense not skipping much of a beat but... Defense? I haven't seen one gooner share that same view. 

Connelly’s rationale is that OU played a lot of underclassmen last year on defense and those players will improve through experience next year. 

The best part of the new redshirt rule is you can even play guys at the end of the year after they have acclimated.  Let them enroll, spend some time practicing and lifting then play them in November or in the bowl game. Especially at Texas where our schedule is front loaded. 

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The defense is Ruffin McNeil's show now. Stoops is up in the booth saying stupid things into the headset that everyone else ignores.

Ah..the old unplug his headset trick...shit, send some Texas GA up to the booth to plug it back in right before game time 

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The redshirt rule also gives the coaches some options if a draft eligible player wants to get cute and sit out the bowl game. 

I hate it, but I think it's the new normal. If Texas isn't the playoffs, I'd expect guys like Malik and Elliott to sit out.

I think draft eligible players skipping the bowl games was the real behind the scene driver on the redshirt rule change. The AFCA was pushing hard, they knew it was only going to get worse. 

Could you explain what you mean about giving them options? Like they could play some younger guys without worrying about burning a red shirt, or something different?

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Could you explain what you mean about giving them options? Like they could play some younger guys without worrying about burning a red shirt, or something different?

Yes, they could play younger guys in the bowl game without burning their redshirts. Had the new rule been in place last season, Leitao for instance almost certainly would have played against Mizzou. Kendall Moore was the only healthy TE on the entire roster.

• Like 2

This. The draft prospects sitting out really chaps my hide (however I understand it) but this gives a special new meaning to lower tier bowl games. 
It's no biggie if both teams have a roughly equal number of prospective draftees sitting out, but it could really be a competitive advantage/disadvantage some years. This new rule is the best thing the NCAA has done in..umm..help me out here?

The word this summer is that the staff thinks they scored big with both recent QB signees. It doesn't sound like they prefer one over the other at this point and they want both to feel involved and embedded in the program. Given the redshirting rules, I think they're going to jump at the chance to play both of them in any sort of blowout they can find. For the first time in a very long time, I am not worried about QB heading into August. 

• Like 4

Vince Young was 6'5 195 coming out of high school. He took a redshirt to develop. Not saying Casey Thompson is the next VY, but it's hard to say Rising has a better career just becaue he's got like 50 pounds on Thompson as an 18 year old. 

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The word this summer is that the staff thinks they scored big with both recent QB signees. It doesn't sound like they prefer one over the other at this point and they want both to feel involved and embedded in the program. Given the redshirting rules, I think they're going to jump at the chance to play both of them in any sort of blowout they can find. For the first time in a very long time, I am not worried about QB heading into August. 

You feel good about Shane and/or Sam? 

38 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Vince Young was 6'5 195 coming out of high school. He took a redshirt to develop. Not saying Casey Thompson is the next VY, but it's hard to say Rising has a better career just becaue he's got like 50 pounds on Thompson as an 18 year old. 

So many ridiculous things about this post. lulz.

First, that's not what he said. He said "build and arm." Rising is a better passer and has a much higher ceiling as a passer.  Thompson struggled quite a bit with being consistently accurate in HS.

Second, making a comparison to how much weight VY gained is ridiculous. Thompson's frame could limit how much he can run.  He's 6'0, 190 with a fairly slender frame. He's also already pretty developed physically, so he doesn't have a whole lot of weight to add.  

All that said, I like both a lot and it's tremendous that we got two quality QBs in the same class. They're very different players and the offense would look different with each of them at the helm.  At this point, it's hard to say who will be better because they both have a lot of developing left to do, and who knows what rate each will develop at.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

You feel good about Shane and/or Sam? 

I feel like we'll figure the QB spot out. I've had a hard time caring about who it specifically is that gets things done since the Simms/Applewhite experience. 

My view is that Sam Ehlinger has the football smarts of an alzheimer's patient and Buechele has the physical sturdiness of a mobile home in a tornado, so I can't get too worked up about who gets it done or if it is by committee. I just feel like there's depth and therefore optionality and security.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I feel like we'll figure the QB spot out. I've had a hard time caring about who it specifically is that gets things done since the Simms/Applewhite experience. 

My view is that Sam Ehlinger has the football smarts of an alzheimer's patient and Buechele has the physical sturdiness of a mobile home in a tornado, so I can't get too worked up about who gets it done or if it is by committee. I just feel like there's depth and therefore optionality and security.

Did you say committee?

Spoiler

628x471.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

First, that's not what he said. He said "build and arm." Rising is a better passer and has a much higher ceiling as a passer.  Thompson struggled quite a bit with being consistently accurate in HS.

Second, making a comparison to how much weight VY gained is ridiculous. Thompson's frame could limit how much he can run.  He's 6'0, 190 with a fairly slender frame. He's also already pretty developed physically, so he doesn't have a whole lot of weight to add.  

All that said, I like both a lot and it's tremendous that we got two quality QBs in the same class. They're very different players and the offense would look different with each of them at the helm.  At this point, it's hard to say who will be better because they both have a lot of developing left to do, and who knows what rate each will develop at.

Agreed that is impossible to predict what will happen. I watched Garrett Gilbert in HS and thought we had landed lightning in a bottle. Thompson and Rising sure both seem like they have great upside, but the list of players that washed out is long and illustrious. 

17 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

But, Lawnghorn, if you absolutely had to choose, which would you bet on, based on the very limited sample you have witnessed?  Also, have you ever stated whom would you prefer between Sam and Shane?  

No way we hang onto both for the duration of their college careers, just hope the right one sticks around. At this point I don't think anyone knows which one that is..

Just now, TreatyOak said:

But, Lawnghorn, if you absolutely had to choose, which would you bet on, based on the very limited sample you have witnessed?  Also, have you ever stated whom would you prefer between Sam and Shane?  

I'd tentatively pick Rising over Thompson. 

I'd much more confidently pick Sam over Shane, although I think both will be relied on this year.  If Sam can cut down his turnovers/bone head plays even just by half this year, he'll be a significantly better option than Shane.  Sam moved the ball much better than Shane did last year.  Also, Sam fits what the staff wants to run better and Herman/Beck showed last year they're not very willing to adjust what they want to do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'd much more confidently pick Sam over Shane, although I think both will be relied on this year.  If Sam can cut down his turnovers/bone head plays even just by half this year, he'll be a significantly better option than Shane.  Sam moved the ball much better than Shane did last year.  Also, Sam fits what the staff wants to run better and Herman/Beck showed last year they're not very willing to adjust what they want to do.

Great post. I'd also pick Rising over Thompson simply because Thompson looked less sure throwing the ball in HS.  Of course, it's hard to say how they will develop and Thompson looked like he had an extra gear in the Spring game. (which can come in handy knowing our line, lulz)  

I also prefer Sam, but I am biased, having watched him develop since Pop Warner. I am hoping he cuts down on his turnovers, but as it has been noted on this site, Favre, whom is his idol, never entirely eliminated his mistakes. Sam is a gambler by nature and will pull off incredible plays, but his style will always have risk associated with it. IMHO, it IS fair to compare Sam to VY or Colt, simply because he is the first QB since Colt that has exhibited the same kind of moxie.

Has there ever been an era of such forgettable QB in UT history since Colt has left?  

Is there anyone else here besides me who thinks that Colt's greatest play was his tackle of the OU DB who picked off his pass and preserved our victory?   

19 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lawnghorn, I am looking forward to when your LT QB Card gets here. That boy can ball, and this is coming from a Westlake homer. 

The great thing about the new red shirt rule is that the two freshman can alternate being the #3 QB and/or the #2 QB if/when Sam or Shane gets hurt.

A freshman QB can come in for a drive or two, or even a quarter, because one QB got hurt and the other is sputtering and needs to sit out a series or two (Shane more likely than Sam). Then the next week, the other QB is the designated "backup". Have the kids play in 4 or fewer games and they still have 4 years of eligibility.

This new rule is awesome (for us) in many ways.

• Like 1