Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

After everything we've done, after all women have achieved, after all the shame and pain my mother and her sisters went through, how in the ever living fuck did we get here?

Dude.  It's not just AFTER all we have done and because women have achieved...it's BECAUSE of it.  Nothing embitters shitty people like the success and happiness of others.  Women were doing too damned good around here, so the collective we needed to put those bitches back in their proper place.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Tonight at 6:  young teenage girls can be complete shitbags to their peers.

And tune in for part 2 at 10:00: and that continues once they become adults.  Nobody can tear down women like other women.

• Hook 'Em 1

IMO, some aspect of the women-against-women stuff is a trauma response. Just this endless cycle of "I had to suffer through something, you younger people should have to also." Bitterness, shame, resentment, etc. can be turned outward. For men, this usually occurs via violence, with women, it's more of a social shaming. I mean, on a larger and more literal scale, look at female genital mutilation. The female elders are the ones doing it to the younger generations, even though they know the pain and suffering it causes. Religion/cultural tradition plays a big part but that's not the whole psychology of it... the patriarchy infects everyone, and the cycle of abuse uses everyone as an instrument to perpetuate it. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

IMO, some aspect of the women-against-women stuff is a trauma response. Just this endless cycle of "I had to suffer through something, you younger people should have to also." Bitterness, shame, resentment, etc. can be turned outward. For men, this usually occurs via violence, with women, it's more of a social shaming. I mean, on a larger and more literal scale, look at female genital mutilation. The female elders are the ones doing it to the younger generations, even though they know the pain and suffering it causes. Religion/cultural tradition plays a big part but that's not the whole psychology of it... the patriarchy infects everyone, and the cycle of abuse uses everyone as an instrument to perpetuate it. 

I think you're on to something, but my hypothesis has been that it has to do with the hierarchy and power as those things exist in any "oppressed class."  That is, for the longest time, the surest route to power and "success" for a woman was by securing her place next to/among powerful man.  E.g., the most powerful woman in the village is the wife of the chieftain.  What does she need to do to protect her place?  Cut down all rivals.  For a woman to have power in a male-dominated society, a sure strategy is to make sure that no other women can usurp her power.  So the smart thing to do is keep those other bitches down.

So, it definitely flows from practices and habits of women in a patriarchal society.  I just don't think it's as much "I suffered, so you will too" (although that damned well makes sense as part of it) as it is "I can best secure my position of limited power within that patriarchal society by keeping other women down," which is a solid strategy given that social order.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I will never understand this presumption that men have that women should be expected to behave "well" to other women.  Men can be assholes to other men; why should we not expect the same of women?

And don't underestimate the role of the general human presumption that "what's worked for me must be what's good for you."  We see it in everything from the trivial (I had a good meal at this restaurant, so you definitely need to go there) to the meaningful (I breastfed, therefore you should breastfeed).  At its root, it reflects a basic lack of empathy and appreciation for the fact that people facing different circumstances may have different needs.  And it's just a weird thing that we expect women to have more empathy than we expect from men.

TL;DR: Both men and women suck.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I think young men have a better pressure release mechanism when it comes to conflict -- they fight (or at least compete).  Young women can just be flat out mean.  The movie/play exists for a reason.

Regarding women who subjugate themselves to men/husbands:  it's a not-insignificant fraction of Christians who absolutely believe that should be the case.  Other religions have sects of a similar persuasion.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I will never understand this presumption that men have that women should be expected to behave "well" to other women.  Men can be assholes to other men; why should we not expect the same of women?

And don't underestimate the role of the general human presumption that "what's worked for me must be what's good for you."  We see it in everything from the trivial (I had a good meal at this restaurant, so you definitely need to go there) to the meaningful (I breastfed, therefore you should breastfeed).  At its root, it reflects a basic lack of empathy and appreciation for the fact that people facing different circumstances may have different needs.  And it's just a weird thing that we expect women to have more empathy than we expect from men.

TL;DR: Both men and women suck.

Well, we're talking in generalities here, so.....yeah.  We're not pointing out any dynamics that haven't been observed sociologically for a long time.  Men in our societies do a better job of banding together as a team to get shit done than women do....IN GENERAL.  Women are better at reading subtle social cues and facial expressions, and acting an an optimal way based on those cues...IN GENERAL.

Any specific male or female can suck in any specific situation.  And women can and do build strong teams, just like men can be petty backstabbers.  But we're talking about broad trends.  Not the specific.  Like, specifically, YOU suck.  On that, I think we all can agree.  Even those petty backstabbing women will take a break from all of their betrayal to nod their heads on that one.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

giphy.gif

One tool to combat this is education, that is to be more specific: not the educational reinforcement of "girls can't do X (shall I list all the topics? Nah, don't think I will) but the education that promotes awareness of not only what girls can do but also of the social awareness of functional vs dysfunctional relationships, culture, and society. IOW, something one can (possibly) get in high school and/or higher education. So the banning of women & gender studies (among others) is about more than LGBQT persons and the 'morals police,' it also serves (as stated in the post above), to keep women in their place. You could substitute a number of other under-represented groups, but women (and transwomen) encompass all demographics of race, SES, sexuality, and age.

• Hook 'Em 3

At this point, I gotta get all Lobo-esque and wonder if we're simulating inside the simulation by mansplaining to the forum about how we know why women visit cruelty upon other women without any of them knowing why.  But my bullshit and biases aside, you have to admit...there's a regression going on.  The laws and metrics don't hide it.  And there's a fuck-ton of women in on it and that frightens me as the father of two little girls.  

Of course women can be just as cruel as men.  What puzzles me is that it's so specific these days to body and health.  The things that bind them away from men.  The causation that would be a corollary factor.  I want this or that for my family, but in the end---I know what it's like to have pregnancy issues, be sexually assaulted and impregnated against my will, to need fertility assistance, to fear sexual predators, etc.  And then to dismiss all that to foist upon younger generations of females your bullshit.  I see how men do it, but for so many tens of millions of women to this to other women.  Is it from a place of religious comfort?  From a bygone era in their lives when they felt safe under the watchful eye of their dads and Jesus on Sundays?  Of course, we are the absolute worst fucking thing that ever happened to women.  Bar none.  I get that women want to vote for lower taxes, less crime, school choice, even more religion in our society.  I don't agree, but I get it.  It's just this other fucking part of "Piss off...you don't get choice over your body.  Or even adequately corresponding healthcare."  None of this happens.  None of what we see.  None of what is going on from the State of Texas to our Supreme Health Care happens unless millions and millions of women get behind it.  And they are certainly doing their fare share of the heavy lifting.  Again, men suck.  But they are running a really competitive race just based on raw numbers.  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

At this point, I gotta get all Lobo-esque and wonder if we're simulating inside the simulation by mansplaining to the forum about how we know why women visit cruelty upon other women without any of them knowing why. 

dumb-and-dumber-jim-carrey.gif

I mean....are you new around here?  Ironic lack of self-awareness coated with a delicious candy coating of self-importance is kinda our thing.

24 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

At this point, I gotta get all Lobo-esque and wonder if we're simulating inside the simulation by mansplaining to the forum about how we know why women visit cruelty upon other women without any of them knowing why.  

Well, yes -- y'all are mansplaining and I do see some biases there. But, Mrs. Whiggins and I are just 'splaining :) 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Damn you with your gender-specific 'splaining terminology!  

Dibs on 'They-Splaining' for band name.  

Yeah, it's just my own seasonal bullshit.  Over Easter weekend, just had three events with friends and family talking about how glad they are we're such a 'pro life' state/country again.'  And honestly, my frustration with all this shit had subsided a bit in the last few months.  But nobody could shut the fuck about their glee with Abbott's measures and the overturn of Wade.  Meanwhile, we're calling a rabbit symbol of fertility and eggs "He's the Easter Bunny"?  Da Fuh?  you just grind it out every single fucking day to give your girls an education and a safe environment and healthcare access and empowerment.  And you put aside your male bullshit to let them know while there are bad people out there, there is so much goodness and nothing to be ashamed about and then the mean men in the world will always be there but be aware and assertive my sweethearts.  And then, pardon my language, 35 million cunts come along and under mind all that.  Imagine a world for women when fucking Lobo is the sane voice of reason and uplifting to females.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Tonight at 6:  young teenage girls can be complete shitbags to their peers.

They can also be complete shitbags when they run away in the woods at a summer camp because they weren’t impressed with your new machete, but that’s neither here nor there.

The fact that Charlie Kirk, as stupid as a community college dropout is capable of being, is up there as a leader of a fairly prominent Republican-leaning/supporting organization and is spouting off misogynistic bullshit with no pushback from other Republican leaders is a far larger issue than teenage girls.

30 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

At this point, I gotta get all Lobo-esque and wonder if we're simulating inside the simulation by mansplaining to the forum about how we know why women visit cruelty upon other women without any of them knowing why.  But my bullshit and biases aside, you have to admit...there's a regression going on.  The laws and metrics don't hide it.  And there's a fuck-ton of women in on it and that frightens me as the father of two little girls.  

Of course women can be just as cruel as men.  What puzzles me is that it's so specific these days to body and health.  The things that bind them away from men.  The causation that would be a corollary factor.  I want this or that for my family, but in the end---I know what it's like to have pregnancy issues, be sexually assaulted and impregnated against my will, to need fertility assistance, to fear sexual predators, etc.  And then to dismiss all that to foist upon younger generations of females your bullshit.  I see how men do it, but for so many tens of millions of women to this to other women.  Is it from a place of religious comfort?  From a bygone era in their lives when they felt safe under the watchful eye of their dads and Jesus on Sundays?  Of course, we are the absolute worst fucking thing that ever happened to women.  Bar none.  I get that women want to vote for lower taxes, less crime, school choice, even more religion in our society.  I don't agree, but I get it.  It's just this other fucking part of "Piss off...you don't get choice over your body.  Or even adequately corresponding healthcare."  None of this happens.  None of what we see.  None of what is going on from the State of Texas to our Supreme Health Care happens unless millions and millions of women get behind it.  And they are certainly doing their fare share of the heavy lifting.  Again, men suck.  But they are running a really competitive race just based on raw numbers.  

You? You are asking this question about why people act against what would seem to be their own self interest or that of their loved ones? You that have the inside scoop on the GOP loyalists of any gender throughout the state that consistently do likewise even in matters not related to women's health? I have the vapors I'm so shocked.

Seriously, it's a good enough question and IMO there are a multitude of reasons, some of which have been discussed previously. Suffice it to say, if you look around many of those that are the most fervent may have a combination of fear driven anxiety and others a barely suppressed rage. The lack of empathy not being unique to one gender or another may be true, as is the way women tend to resolve differences, but to me there is also an element that @Brisketexan touched upon slightly--the vulnerability of a women's place in a patriarchal and just as important, a capitalist society wherein society and legislatures (and males!) are in the midst of 52-60 years of adjusting to the Civil Rights Act and Title IX being passed. I say adjusting because it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing has it?

I could write a pretty long set of paragraphs that 'splain those thoughts about place and vulnerability and social change in more detail, but perhaps another time, as it's been a long enough day as it is.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You? You are asking this question about why people act against what would seem to be their own self interest or that of their loved ones? You that have the inside scoop on the GOP loyalists of any gender throughout the state that consistently do likewise even in matters not related to women's health? I have the vapors I'm so shocked.

Seriously, it's a good enough question and IMO there are a multitude of reasons, some of which have been discussed previously. Suffice it to say, if you look around many of those that are the most fervent may have a combination of fear driven anxiety and others a barely suppressed rage. The lack of empathy not being unique to one gender or another may be true, as is the way women tend to resolve differences, but to me there is also an element that @Brisketexan touched upon slightly--the vulnerability of a women's place in a patriarchal and just as important, a capitalist society wherein society and legislatures (and males!) are in the midst of 52-60 years of adjusting to the Civil Rights Act and Title IX being passed. I say adjusting because it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing has it?

I could write a pretty long set of paragraphs that 'splain those thoughts about place and vulnerability and social change in more detail, but perhaps another time, as it's been a long enough day as it is.

SEE, GUYS?  She thinks I'm on to something.

I think she likes me.

f4739afb69491428251e228392fd5d1e.gif

17 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We all get that people vote against their own interests because of tribal thinking.  "Those other people are coming for my job or my money or my land or whatever."  I'd love to believe we're beyond that, but we see it play out every year.  But I look at the way the women I am blessed to be around take care of each other.  And my daughters will one day do the same.  There's obviously an inherently fucked-up patriarchy, but the way they can care and love so deeply and strongly for others.  I am in utter awe.  I get voting for economic and policy issues and all that.  But to turn your back to just the fundamental female issues is beyond the pale to me.  Not to get all gender-specific here but a woman doesn't give a shit if other women get a quality education for a few extra bucks in taxes or can't be a CPA or wear pants on Sundays---it's wrong but I get the rationale.  But a woman with a vagina and reproductive system and doesn't particularly enjoy the idea of carrying a rapist's baby to term or dying from a failed pregnancy or wants quality GYN care from a free clinic.  And she turns to the woman next to her and says, "Fuck you, I'm gonna make sure you get none of that!"  It is insane to me.  

The old locker-room expression, "tripping over your dick" would be well applied here.  You get 5 million female voters across a few states to just this cycle out and a lot of this goes away.  And right quick.  I'm not saying it's all on them, but it sure as fuck wouldn't hurt.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Damn you with your gender-specific 'splaining terminology!  

Dibs on 'They-Splaining' for band name.  

Yeah, it's just my own seasonal bullshit.  Over Easter weekend, just had three events with friends and family talking about how glad they are we're such a 'pro life' state/country again.'  And honestly, my frustration with all this shit had subsided a bit in the last few months.  But nobody could shut the fuck about their glee with Abbott's measures and the overturn of Wade.  Meanwhile, we're calling a rabbit symbol of fertility and eggs "He's the Easter Bunny"?  Da Fuh?  you just grind it out every single fucking day to give your girls an education and a safe environment and healthcare access and empowerment.  And you put aside your male bullshit to let them know while there are bad people out there, there is so much goodness and nothing to be ashamed about and then the mean men in the world will always be there but be aware and assertive my sweethearts.  And then, pardon my language, 35 million cunts come along and under mind all that.  Imagine a world for women when fucking Lobo is the sane voice of reason and uplifting to females.  

You're more patient then I am, had I been in your place, I wouldn't have been able to keep quiet. I have sister who lives in Dallas, her in laws and now her are big time bible thumpers and the trumpiest of trumpers. Needless to say, we no longer talk because they cant keep their damn opinions to themselves.

And you need new friends 

I would, but unlike Jesus...it's really hard to make new friends after you turn 30.  

It's just baffling to me to walk out of Easter service when his final 40 days were spent talking about sacrifice and love.  And then the big takeaway for most people is, "Women are shit and damn those homos."  Like, I'm not even a devout Christian and I forget half of what I read 7 minutes later, but even I remember, "Yeah, the love and sacrifice and protecting women seems important."  He could have come back to talk about abortion and gay sex, but he had other talking points.  Perhaps we could try that as a society?  

On 4/1/2024 at 5:12 PM, bluto said:

Is Florida in play now with abortion literally on the November ballot and needing 60% to pass??

They will pay lip service to it.  “ oh yeah….. I think we went a little overboard this time”, but when they’re actually in the voting booth all that will be going thru their feeble minds is “ but muh hannity, my guns, my bibles,  Fox News” then they vote R because they gotta own the libtards!

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

They will pay lip service to it.  “ oh yeah….. I think we went a little overboard this time”, but when they’re actually in the voting booth all that will be going thru their feeble minds is “ but muh hannity, my guns, my bibles,  Fox News” then they vote R because they gotta own the libtards!

That hasn’t happened anywhere else yet. 

• Hook 'Em 4

That hasn’t happened anywhere else yet. 

With an abortion referendum on the ballot, doesn’t that just give suburban GOP women voters a convenient “out”. Vote against the abortion ban, but then vote for all of the shitbag GOP candidates?

Occasionally he has some self-awareness about campaign issues

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/08/politics/donald-trump-abortion-2024/index.html

Former President Donald Trump said Monday that abortion rights should be left to the states, offering his clearest stance yet on one of the most delicate and contentious issues in American politics.

“My view is now that we have abortion where everyone wanted it from a legal standpoint, the states will determine by vote or legislation, or perhaps both. And whatever they decide must be the law of the land. In this case, the law of the state,” Trump said in a video posted to his Truth Social account. 

“Many states will be different,” Trump continued. “Many will have a different number of weeks, or some will have more conservative than others, and that’s what they will be. At the end of the day, this is all about the will of the people.”

Trump had previously suggested he could support a 15-week federal ban with exceptions in the cases of incest, rape and when the life of the mother is in danger. However, his ultimate decision to punt the politically fraught issue to the states and not back a national ban was swiftly denounced by a major anti-abortion rights organization that said his position did not go far enough.

In Monday’s video, Trump said he was “proudly the person responsible” for the overturning of Roe v. Wade, which he said took the issue “out of the federal hands and brought it into the hearts, minds, and vote of the people in each state.”

So what do the anti-abortion folks sau

In a statement following Trump’s announcement on Monday, Marjorie Dannenfelser, the president of Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, said her organization was “deeply disappointed” by Trump’s statement.

“Saying the issue is ‘back to the states’ cedes the national debate to the Democrats who are working relentlessly to enact legislation mandating abortion throughout all nine months of pregnancy. If successful, they will wipe out states’ rights,” she said.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm old enough to recall when politicians tended to skirt the truth at most on hot-button topics.  Now it's cool to tell bald-faced lies.

What’s crazy is Trump is out there bashing Lindsey Fucking Graham for being too strict on abortion

GKq8t5mW0AEHdgt?format=jpg&name=large

GKq8wxcWEAAzG3S?format=jpg&name=large

And Trump is continuing this spat as of a few minutes ago:

Senator Lindsey Graham and Marjorie Dannenfelser should study the 10th Amendment and States’ Rights. When they do, they should proudly get on with helping Republicans to WIN ELECTIONS, rather than making it impossible for them to do so!

I blame myself for Lindsey Graham, because the only reason he won in the Great State of South Carolina is because I Endorsed him!

Sending this Issue back to the States was the Policy of the Republican Party and Conservatives for over 50 years, due to States’ Rights and 10th Amendment, and only happened because of the Justices I proudly Nominated and got Confirmed.

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/112237233959611965

2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

The pro-lifers should all vote for RFK

Given that Trump is fighting with Lindsey Graham because Graham wants a national ban and Trump wants it left to the states (or his PR people I should say), there’s a decent chance this might happen.  At one point, RFK Jr was willing to sign a federal ban.

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Genuinely unsettling to see Trump correctly reading (at least when it comes to a national ban) a hot button political issue.  

That’s his intern or PR team, because that was way too cohesive of an argument.

• Hook 'Em 2

Have we learned nothing? Don’t believe a word Trump says. If he gets back into office, he’ll enact a national ban to secure the loyalty of the hardline extremists he needs to keep him in power for the rest of his life. Don’t fall for his lies.

It’s amazing that anyone still takes the shit he says seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Correct. The “leave it to the states” rhetoric is to appease the “fiscal conservative” / originalists / states rights / libertarian idiots. They’re super smart, just ask them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Have we learned nothing? Don’t believe a word Trump says. If he gets back into office, he’ll enact a national ban to secure the loyalty of the hardline extremists he needs to keep him in power for the rest of his life. Don’t fall for his lies.

It’s amazing that anyone still takes the shit he says seriously. 

you mean to tell me he probably didn't raise $50.5M the other night?

There's not one pro choicer that is going to vote for Trump because of this.  "Well, I know the entire party wants to force 10 year olds to have babies but Trump himself said the states should do it but OK."

That ain't happening.

• Hook 'Em 5

Arizona is going blue now.

And 2 of the justices are up in November in retention elections ("do you want to keep this judge or force an election?") 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Arizona is going blue now.

And 2 of the justices are up in November in retention elections ("do you want to keep this judge or force an election?") 

Yep, they already have enough signatures to put it (referendum) on the November ballot and will keep going.  Should really help Gallegos and Biden x  

• Hook 'Em 4