Edinburg player hits ref after being ejected

Walte464

I say let the team play, but they have to be "jumped in" and by that I mean they have to get their former teammate at their stajium and beat the shit out of him for a minute or how ever long it is that gangs beat their members asses for to let them in

if they do that then they can play again (without the idiot of course)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 3:25 PM, smwhorn said:

In addition, the UIL placed Edinburg High football coach J.J. Leija on probation through the 2021-22 school year, and the all the school’s UIL programs were placed on a two-year probation through 2022-23. Leija was also given a public reprimand.

So what does the probation actually mean?  As in, "we're watching you - screw up just one more time..."

Here's a previous incident that ended up with a probation:

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/2018/03/18/flashback-how-desoto-and-duncanville-teams-got-two-years-probation-from-uil/

The disciplinary action was for the postgame brawl between the teams after DeSoto won 67-46 at Duncanville on Feb. 6. The UIL committee viewed video of the incident from three angles, which showed players and fans involved in the altercation as coaches and security attempted to break up the skirmish on the court.

Probation means that the teams will face more severe penalties if there are any further violations during the probation period. The teams are still eligible for the playoffs.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:22 PM, Chico_SA said:

My HS baseball team was DQ'ed from a number of district games, and thus our post-season, because a kid was forging his eligibility slips while failing his classes.  He was the best player on the team, too.

So, I don't strongly object to it, but I'm not sure it's proportionate.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My HS baseball team was DQ'ed from a number of district games, and thus our post-season, because a kid was forging his eligibility slips while failing his classes.  He was the best player on the team, too.

So, I don't strongly object to it, but I'm not sure it's proportionate.

Katy High got pulled off the busses on the way to play Midland Lee for the state championship in 98 because the 4th string tight end forged a grade check and was in for 2 kneel downs in the previous game. SA MacArthur,  who lost to Katy and had turned in their equipment,  got to go play and got shellacked 54-0. 

/Not cool story bro

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, futureman said:

the kid is definitely not a sympathetic character but it’s still sad to see a young man spiraling downward. 

He had a real shot to be a state champion in wrestling, placed highly at the state tourney as a junior and was a favorite to win his division his senior year. Goes to show how quickly life can kick you in the dick. Especially when you’re a shithead. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

He was a good kid. Probably a set up.

I am sure officers of the law would never pretend to “smell” something in order to search. Nah. Total angels that group.

“This case illustrates why the time has come to reject the canard of marijuana emanating from nearly every vehicle subject to a traffic stop,” the judge wrote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/marijuana-police-probable-cause/2021/06/26/9d984f8e-d36c-11eb-a53a-3b5450fdca7a_story.html
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I am sure officers of the law would never pretend to “smell” something in order to search. Nah. Total angels that group.

“This case illustrates why the time has come to reject the canard of marijuana emanating from nearly every vehicle subject to a traffic stop,” the judge wrote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/marijuana-police-probable-cause/2021/06/26/9d984f8e-d36c-11eb-a53a-3b5450fdca7a_story.html

Back in my baby lawyer days, I prosecuted DUI cases for a little while.  The narrative was always the same.  "I pulled the subject vehicle over and approached the driver.  The driver had bloodshot, watery eyes, slurred speech, and a strong odor of alcohol."  Every time.  It's a liturgical statement, repeated word-by-word every time.  So I understand how the "odor of marijuana" can be overused by LEO.

However, there is a counterpoint.  If a driver is actually actively smoking, that's at least reasonable suspicion, if not probable cause, that the driver is DUI.  That's where the legalization of THC has outstripped public safety.  There's no equivalent to BAC for THC, no way to tell whether the subject is actually impaired, or just ingested THC sometime in the past month.  Even the standard field sobriety tests aren't very good at picking up THC impairment, which include slow reaction time and impairment of other quick reflexes needed for operating a motor vehicle.  The same applies for workplace testing.

Edited by nnm

21 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Care to explain this?

Yeah I should have been clearer. Sorry. I didn't mean to imply immediate family or the family as a whole

I grew up in a shitty border town and it seemed a lot of kids had a Tio or a primo who bought or sold. Usually small time pot dealers. Rarely ever something like coke. Sometimes, unbeknownst to the kid (especially if he was a big kid, like this guy), they would let him "tag along" when they did their thing. I'm not saying that this is definitely what went on here but whatever he had on him could have been a little reward for his "help". 

I have family in law enforcement down there and they've told me this happens a good bit down there and the poor kid throws a potentially good future away because he gets tangled up in their bullshit.

23 hours ago, nnm said:

Back in my baby lawyer days, I prosecuted DUI cases for a little while.  The narrative was always the same.  "I pulled the subject vehicle over and approached the driver.  The driver had bloodshot, watery eyes, slurred speech, and a strong odor of alcohol."  Every time.  It's a liturgical statement, repeated word-by-word every time.  So I understand how the "odor of marijuana" can be overused by LEO.

However, there is a counterpoint.  If a driver is actually actively smoking, that's at least reasonable suspicion, if not probable cause, that the driver is DUI.  That's where the legalization of THC has outstripped public safety.  There's no equivalent to BAC for THC, no way to tell whether the subject is actually impaired, or just ingested THC sometime in the past month.  Even the standard field sobriety tests aren't very good at picking up THC impairment, which include slow reaction time and impairment of other quick reflexes needed for operating a motor vehicle.  The same applies for workplace testing.

The first part was exactly my point.  The subjective qualifier for a search is abused by law enforcement to such an extreme that it casts doubt on all such future use IMO.  I simply do not have any faith in the word of a police officer as I have been shown time and time again the lengths they will take to abuse their power.  There are countless number of people murdered by members of the law enforcement community who have faced zero actual consequences (Eric Garner's murderers) and abuse their positions (the guy who shot back at the unmarked cop in a van doing drive-by shootings was kicked in the head AFTER he surrendered and was prone) or the case of the Tuttles here in Houston where the cops murdered that couple and lied about shooting each other.   

This is a systemic widespread problem within the law enforcement community and there is little effort made in reforming the police departments in order to restore faith.   So yeah, if the cops tell me it is raining outside, I am at the point where I need to look out a window to verify.    I honestly do not know how anyone can operate otherwise at this point.   I want the police to be the ideal I had when I was a kid.  I need them to be the people my kids think they are.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I simply do not have any faith in the word of a police officer as I have been shown time and time again the lengths they will take to abuse their power. 

I have as much faith in the word of police as I have in the word of the mafia. 

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I need them to be the people my kids think they are.   

Now that's how you humble brag about being white. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

Yeah I should have been clearer. Sorry. I didn't mean to imply immediate family or the family as a whole

I grew up in a shitty border town and it seemed a lot of kids had a Tio or a primo who bought or sold. Usually small time pot dealers. Rarely ever something like coke. Sometimes, unbeknownst to the kid (especially if he was a big kid, like this guy), they would let him "tag along" when they did their thing. I'm not saying that this is definitely what went on here but whatever he had on him could have been a little reward for his "help". 

I have family in law enforcement down there and they've told me this happens a good bit down there and the poor kid throws a potentially good future away because he gets tangled up in their bullshit.

I mean lots of kids everywhere have family or friends involved with drugs. I grew up in the valley & SA, same story both places. 

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

The first part was exactly my point.  The subjective qualifier for a search is abused by law enforcement to such an extreme that it casts doubt on all such future use IMO.  I simply do not have any faith in the word of a police officer as I have been shown time and time again the lengths they will take to abuse their power.  There are countless number of people murdered by members of the law enforcement community who have faced zero actual consequences (Eric Garner's murderers) and abuse their positions (the guy who shot back at the unmarked cop in a van doing drive-by shootings was kicked in the head AFTER he surrendered and was prone) or the case of the Tuttles here in Houston where the cops murdered that couple and lied about shooting each other.   

This is a systemic widespread problem within the law enforcement community and there is little effort made in reforming the police departments in order to restore faith.   So yeah, if the cops tell me it is raining outside, I am at the point where I need to look out a window to verify.    I honestly do not know how anyone can operate otherwise at this point.   I want the police to be the ideal I had when I was a kid.  I need them to be the people my kids think they are.   

I don't know you, but you (or I) could've been in that car, haf, smoke everywhere, and the cop isn't searching for anything else at all in the car or even on our person. Just weird how that works.

15 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

I don't know you, but you (or I) could've been in that car, haf, smoke everywhere, and the cop isn't searching for anything else at all in the car or even on our person. Just weird how that works.

I didn't have that kid of luck until I was well into my 20's.   

• Haha 1