Fred Akers passes away at age 82

satyanash

for the kiddos, the late 70s were the absolute height of insanity downtown friday night....  as described above, it wan era where the game was a top10 if not a top5 matchup every year.

i was still very young, but i remember the live shots on Channel 8 from Commerce and Akard.

it was a fucking zoo.

http://blatanthomerism.com/articles/c307-2011-articles-v15-10000000008/c87-october/red-river-shootout-recalling-commerce-street.html

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

T 1984 #1 Texas 15 - 15 Oklahoma #3 (in all fairness, and i was 20 rows up in the endzone behind the call, but we got a gift phantom PI to get a walkoff tying field goal.)

Check the dirt burglar punters knee.  it evened out and that fuckhead switzer knows it.

• Hook 'Em 1

RIP coach.  

My first year there was 1986 and to be honest it wasn’t a good year.  We went 5-6 with a bad loss to OU.  Lost to arky, aggy, tech, Baylor, and Stanford also.   And that was it for Fred.   Toxic Texas isn’t that different today when the shit hits the fan (other than the internet and social media).   

Growing up I saw a kickass game with SMU in the early 80s at Texas stadium and I was ‘hooked’.   Always loved Fred and the badass defense he put on the field.   By 86, the defense just wasn’t as talented which I’m sure has something to do with the ridiculous cheating in the SWC.  

And fuck Mike Barnes.  I knew him in 86 and he should know better.   What the fuck has Mike Barnes done in his life that would remotely justify shitting on coach Akers?  What a dickhead. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Sorry to hear this.  Funny, but I was thinking about Akers this morning and the Herman situation and recalled what Akers said when he got fired and it was simply that he “didn’t win enough games”.  

Same here. I was thinking about him earlier and thinking about how close he was to keeping Texas where they always should be. Rip Coach.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Toxic Texas isn’t that different today when the shit hits the fan (other than the internet and social media).   

Purdue also fired Akers. Are they also toxic?

I don't get this libel against us. Bum Phillips said that there are "two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired." Being fired is just part of the job from High School to the NFL. Why is Texas toxic just because coaches get fired? Should we just give Tom Herman a lifetime contract and let him coach until he dies? Because I don't see any other football teams being run that way, why is firing them toxic?

I mean yeah Fred Akers got fired along with 99.9999% of football coaches in the profession. I think he was fine with it as it is completely normal and expected.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Same here. I was thinking about him earlier and thinking about how close he was to keeping Texas where they always should be. Rip Coach.

Yeah it fell apart at the end and it may not have been entirely his fault. But that is how it goes in that profession. I rarely hear about that era anymore without people talking about 1977 and the amazing defenses he had. People have only mostly remembered the good things and mostly blame the rest of the SWC for cheating for taking down his program rather than him...at least these days.

Edited by Valmy77

I helped cater a BBQ for an Austin charity back in 1984. Fred Akers and Tom Landry were the guests of honor. By help, I mean I got to drive a large truck full of dirty tables and chairs which I unexpectedly had to unload and set up myself in 95 humid dregrees wearing a white shirt because the guys who were supposed to help didn’t show. I was too stinking filthy to be seen amongst the Austin elites (future Surly posters), so I sat in the truck and ate scraps.  

I got to meet and chat with both Landry and Akers, and I’ll just say that the one named Fred acted like he wanted to be there. He was a nice guy, not 6 months removed from the Georgia Cotton Bowl. I didn’t bring it up, but he was his usual optimistic self regarding the upcoming 1984 season.  

It was on a ranch west of Drippin’, and there were several gates I had to go through. The last two were of identical rock and timber design, but the second one lacked probably 6” in clearance. I took out the timber beams and got an ass chewing from the real estate developer ...uh... rancher. The beams went back in place with no real damage. He must’ve felt bad because later he asked me and my future wife to stay for beers (I didn’t notice either coach drinking, btw). It was dark when we left and the ranch was crawling with exotics, which was cool. 

4 hours ago, Victorious1 said:

First Longhorn game I attended in person was '83 aggy game when I was 19 and I still have a picture of Fred when he walked by at halftime.  Aggy jumped out 0-13 in 1st quarter and I was thinking oh shit but Texas answered with 45 straight and Kyle Field was about 80% empty when the game ended.

I went to the '84 and '85 games against aggy which didn't work out so well against the cheatin' Sherrills and things had started sliding downhill.

That was my next-to-last game as a student. Listened to the NU vs OU game on the radio. OU had a 4Q, 4th-and-goal pass broken up in the NU end zone. We arrived at Beans on W 6th - a bit deflated - just as that game ended.

I shared a hunting lease later in the 80s with an ex-SMU defensive starter who hated Texas (his family were all OU fans). He did admit, though, that the SMU players would joke about how Akers would try to sell them on the pride of playing for Texas at a time when SMU, A&M, OU, OSU, and UH were buying recruits. We all know there were $50 handshakes (inflation’s a bitch) and free drinks after players made it to Austin, but Akers still wasn’t buying recruits.

• Hook 'Em 1

Why does Mike Barnes need to remind everybody, potentially including Akers' grieving family, that Akers wasn't well liked?  Just say everything you said after the comma in that sentence.  Or maybe you're the asshole?
Exactly what i was thinking, no reason at all to put that blurb in there
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was at last  game for Fred.  Aggies beat us 16-3 I think.  I remember how great a job Fred did for big games early in season.  If he could have somehow took just a tiny bit of that magic and put it in postseason, he could have had a chance at 3 big ones.  That 1981 team was an incredible 10-1-1, and with just a tiny bit of offensive imagination could have been 11-1..finished 2 in nation.  It is so strange to us now, but he really did put all of the best athletes on D.  Both Auburn games were incredible games, and playing Penn State in New jersey and whipping them really did some great things for us pr wise.  

Seriously do not think we lost a game in Sept. under Fred until maybe 85. 

Fun fact....in 1983, best defense ever imo, our D was out scoring our offense in game against TCU, through 3 quarters.  

I believe it was 2 interceptions returned for TDs. 

Jerry gray, 1985 best interception ever in college, imo.  Bomb thrown by Auburn...jerry flies like he’s floating on his back in pool, sticks one hand in air, catches ball and gently falls to grass turf.  

And of course the 84 game against auburn in Austin....guys remember bo was the fastest man in football, and how far did jerry have to run to get him? I want to guess 30  plus yards.  Took tremendous determination to get him.  

RIP Fred.

Edited by orangecat92
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sound just popped into my brain of one frank Broyles broadcasting with Keith Jackson....Texas OU game.  Frank had great respect for Texas, especially d and he would go on and on how great a favorite Texas lineman, brad shearer played.  he pronounced it Shearuh...

”Keith, with Shearuh in there Oklahoma can’t even run one of their favorite plays.  He’s just too quick.  They took it out of the playbook this week.” 

Edited by orangecat92
  • Hook 'Em 1

I also attended Fred's weekly luncheons at the Texas Union when I was a student from 79-83. My friend and I would get there early so we could sit right across the table form Coach Akers. He was truly a nice humble person who always politely answered all of our stupid questions. RIP

• Hook 'Em 3

Coach Akers was the coach when I was on campus ‘78- ‘82. After games, the student section would hop the wall and mingle with the teams. I spoke to him many times and congratulated the win, (usually). 

A couple of years later I rode an elevator with him in Waco at the Hilton the night before a game and he recognized me and asked how it was going for me. 

I loved the guy. 

RIP Coach. God bless and Hook’em!

PS. Anything you can do to help us from on high would be much appreciated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I was at last  game for Fred.  Aggies beat us 16-3 I think.  I remember how great a job Fred did for big games early in season.  If he could have somehow took just a tiny bit of that magic and put it in postseason, he could have had a chance at 3 big ones.  That 1981 team was an incredible 10-1-1, and with just a tiny bit of offensive imagination could have been 11-1..finished 2 in nation.  It is so strange to us now, but he really did put all of the best athletes on D.  Both Auburn games were incredible games, and playing Penn State in New jersey and whipping them really did some great things for us pr wise.  

Seriously do not think we lost a game in Sept. under Fred until maybe 85. 

Fun fact....in 1983, best defense ever imo, our D was out scoring our offense in game against TCU, through 3 quarters.  

I believe it was 2 interceptions returned for TDs. 

Jerry gray, 1985 best interception ever in college, imo.  Bomb thrown by Auburn...jerry flies like he’s floating on his back in pool, sticks one hand in air, catches ball and gently falls to grass turf.  

And of course the 84 game against auburn in Austin....guys remember bo was the fastest man in football, and how far did jerry have to run to get him? I want to guess 30  plus yards.  Took tremendous determination to get him.  

RIP Fred.

Jerry didn’t just run him down, he broke Bo’s collarbone on that tackle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Following Coach Royal was not easy for any man.

Unfortunately, Royal himself didn't make it any easier.  Remained as AD but didn't want anything to do with Akers as HC.    Imagine the many times they had to run into each inside Bellmont.  Yet, Akers still had phenomenal success.   

Everyone talks about Craig Curry but Ward whiffed on two pretty easy FGs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The real gift was that PI wasn’t called on that play. Half the distance and a fresh set of downs would’ve been nice. 

here's the NYT report on how it went down....

+++

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/14/sports/texas-ties-oklahoma-15-15.html

A version of this article appears in print on Oct. 14, 1984, Section 5, Page 1 of the National edition with the headline: TEXAS TIES OKLAHOMA, 15-15

The 32-yard field goal by Jeff Ward of Texas, with zeroes on the clock at the end of a rainy, zany, slippery, mistake-filled afternoon, left the numbers tied on the scoreboard at 15.

But when it was time to leave the Cotton Bowl and head to the Texas State Fair, the emotions on the field, where Texas Longhorns leaped and Oklahoma Sooners sat sadly, and in the stands, where a celebration began on one side and obscenites were screamed from the other, bore little resemblance to the final score.

History will show that the 79th Texas-Oklahoma game ended in the fourth tie of the series, but emotional memories will say that Texas won, 15-15.

''It feels like a loss to me,'' said Keith Stanberry, the Sooner senior defensive back whose apparent interception on the next-to-last play of the game was ruled an incomplete pass that gave Texas the chance to tie.

''This is a lot better than losing,'' said a Texas senior, Rob Moerschell, who controlled a high snap on the last play and made the placement for Ward's game-saving kick.

The top-ranked Longhorns (3-0-1), who had led by 10-0 at the half, benefited from two penalties and the disputed incompletion that went against the Sooners (4-0-1), who had been ranked as high as No. 2 in one of the most recent news-agency polls. With the help of an Oklahoma decision to take an intentional safety with 2 minutes 10 seconds to play rather than punt from its own end zone, Texas was able to avoid the fourth defeat of a No. 1- ranked team this season.

Until the final moments, that defeat had seemed certain. The Sooner defense had stopped the Longhorns for four straight plays after facing a first-and-goal situation from its 2-yard line, giving Oklahoma the ball with 3:51 to play. But the Sooners moved just 5 yards, and the intentional safety, a high snap over the head of the punter Mike Winchester, cut the Oklahoma lead to 15-12. The free kick that followed gave the Longhorns the ball at the Texas 44 with 2:04 to play.

''I think it was the call, no doubt about it,'' said Barry Switzer, the Oklahoma coach. ''I'd rather kick from the 20 than punt from the back of the end zone with a rush coming at us.''

''I was pleased that he did it,'' Akers said.

What happened next can only fuel the debates that have grown since the series began in 1900. A first-down pass for 3 yards to Jerome Johnson, Switzer claimed, should have been ruled a fumble. A pass-interference call against the Sooners gave Texas a first down after Todd Dodge's third- down pass for Brent Duhon had fallen incomplete. An offside penalty against the Sooners on third-and-10 from the Oklahoma 41 gave the Longhorns the ball at the 36, with just 5 yards needed for the first down.

A 15-yard pass to the tight end William Harris and an 11-yard pass to Bryant moved the Longhorns to the Sooner 10 with 19 seconds to play. An illegal-motion penalty moved Texas back to the 15.

Then, on Dodge's last pass, the senior Bill Boy Bryant was double- teamed in the right side of the end zone by Stanberry and Andre Johnson, a freshman. The ball appeared to carom into the grasp of Stanberry with five seconds to play.

''It was an interception,'' Stanberry said. ''I went up to one official, and I asked him. He said I didn't catch the ball. Another official said, 'You caught the ball, but your feet weren't inbounds.' ''

Just a few moments before, the Sooners had seemed sure of a victory after they had taken advantage of several Texas mistakes and set aside their deceptive option offense to keep the ball between the tackles.

Winchester, the sophomore Sooner punter, set up the only Texas touchdown, a 25-yard pass from Dodge to Bryant, when he could not handle a snap in the first quarter. But Winchester began Oklahoma's third- quarter comeback with a 48-yard punt that was downed at the Texas 2-yard-line. Terry Orr, the Longhorn senior fullback, fumbled two plays later at the 6. When Stanberry recovered the ball, the game had taken its turn.

Steve Sewell, a senior running back who did not carry the ball in the first half, went straight ahead from the 5 for the score that brought the Sooners within 10-7. Foul on the Kickoff

A dead-ball foul on the kickoff sent Texas back to its 10-yard line. On fourth-and-12 from the 18, Terry Steelhammer, the Texas snapper for punts, sent the ball high over John Teltschik's head and out of the end zone for an Oklahoma safety that cut the Texas lead to 10-9.

Following the free kick, the Sooners converted three third-down situations and drove 71 yards for the score that put them ahead. Sewell, who had made two catches on third-down plays to keep the drive going, bounced off a tackler and went to the left for a 12-yard touchdown that gave Oklahoma a 15-10 lead.

But when the Sooners attempted a 2-point conversion, a looping pass for Sewell was tipped away by Steven Braggs, a sophomore defensive back, and the Longhorns were still within 5 points near the end of the third period.

With less than five minutes to go in the game, Texas had its chance to go back ahead when it drove to the Oklahoma 2-yard line. Orr gained a yard on first down but was stopped on the next two plays. Nelson took a pitchout to the right on fourth down, but Stanberry and Andre Johnson were there. Nelson slipped, and Texas was stopped for what seemed to be the last time.

That is, until the absolutely last time, the moment that will inflame future conversations at future state fairs.

''If we were the No. 1 football team,'' said Danny Bradley, the Oklahoma quarterback, ''we wouldn't have gone for the tie.''

''Generally you don't like a tie,'' said Fred Akers, the Texas coach. ''But this is not generally.''

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I apologized for the Fire Fred sign I held up.  I would give my left nut (if I had one) to have those teams back now.

Who all here went to the ‘85 Bluebonnet Bowl? Well, if you saw a plane flying around the stadium with a banner saying “Fire Fred”. My dad was the one who threw that together. Called up the plane banner people and got it done. A few years later my dad was on an elevator then Akers walks in. It was silent until Akers got to his floor and my dad said something like “thanks for the memories, coach”.

Damn my dad was a master troll back in the day. From like ‘76 to the mid 90’s, or something he had an office downtown. Whenever aggy came to town and fake army did their stupid march down Congress or whatever, he’d always fuck with em. He was able to hang things over the street, so one year he got a blow up doll and made a sign that said “Aggie Bride” and hung it over the street for fake army to see. Another year he did something similar but this time he just hung up a sign that said “eATMe”. Yeah both times fake army tried breaking into the building, but their aggy so of course they failed. Shit I still have those 2 signs. Here’s one of em. I’ll see if I can find the other 

FAB1FBC7-DDF0-4674-B4BF-12BD4ED70812.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Unfortunately, Royal himself didn't make it any easier.  Remained as AD but didn't want anything to do with Akers as HC.    Imagine the many times they had to run into each inside Bellmont.  Yet, Akers still had phenomenal success.   

Another bond shared by Royal and Broyles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Check the dirt burglar punters knee.  it evened out and that fuckhead switzer knows it.

evened out my ass!!.Fucker's knee was down at the  OU 38. That punt was a gotdam Howitzer and went for a touchback and the following drive ended with Nelson getting tackled on 4th and goal from the 6 inch line. 79 of our 170 yards of offense were on that drive zero points...video is cued up to the punt in question

spacer.png

Edited by Dennis Taylor

Jeff Ward on his podcast just retold my favorite Akers story.

Pregame talk before Texas played Penn State in the Meadowlands 1984.  Tells the team that the Meadowlands is sold out for the first time ever for a college game, and why?

'Because Texas is here'

I'll never tire of hearing that story.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If only Fred had given him that pep talk before the Georgia game. 

If only they had called the most flagrant holding of the decade on Georgia's TD play...

Of course, then Nebraska probably wouldn't have been sleep walking through the first half against Miami and we would still not have been #1.

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, horn4life said:

I don't know if it was ever better to hate Arkansas, than when Fred was at the helm, but Arkansas was good then.

.  He was the coach for the undergraduate years when I arrived in '79.

Unfortunately Fred ran into the unfortunate situation of playing two semi-pro teams in A&M and SMU, when cheating was an art form.  Good guy, who lived most of his tenure as head coach in a situation not unlike Herman is in today, except alumni were half against him from day one.  All I know is I got to see some great games as a young buck when I arrived on the 40 Acres.  We were in the mix most every year and '79 was a great freshman year undefeated home season.  First trip to OU and it was #3 vs #4 Texas and we pull it out 16-7, frigging awesome. Thanks Fred and God's speed!

RIP Fred.

And yes, "fans" were undermining the program for his whole tenure just as "fans" have been trying to undermine Hermann the last two years.  These so called "fans" need to look at what followed Fred-David McWilliams and John Mackovic, a mostly dismal 11 years for Texas football.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, troph said:

He never was as bad as folks made him out to be.  Almost 2 NCs and a heisman. RIP coach. 

And he knew how to use Earl when even the great DKR didn't.  Switched from the bone to the I and took an unlikely team to #1 all the way until the Cotton Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

RIP Fred.

And yes, "fans" were undermining the program for his whole tenure just as "fans" have been trying to undermine Hermann the last two years.  These so called "fans" need to look at what followed Fred-David McWilliams and John Mackovic, a mostly dismal 11 years for Texas football.

I almost put up a link to this article on the first post but what you said is true.  Interesting article from LA Times Akers Is Fired After Losing Season : 86-31-2 Mark in 10 Years Not Enough to Save Job at Texas

what jumped out to me...

A search will begin immediately for what has been one of the most high-profile football coaching jobs in the nation. Such names as Miami’s Jimmy Johnson, Arizona’s Larry Smith, Texas Tech’s David McWilliams (a former Texas assistant) and Arizona State’s John Cooper are among those being mentioned in early speculation.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, bullet said:

The fans care, aren't they supposed to? The last three years of Akers tenure were also dismal, years with results fairly typical for the John Mackovic or David McWilliams eras. Sometimes it is just time for a coach to move on. Was there any signs he was going to turn it around? None. Zero. His program was in serious trouble.

I don't get this. In Texas Baseball nobody gives me shit for wanting coaches to take our team to the College World Series. Nothing toxic or morally depraved about that. But if you dare insist that we should find somebody who can get us to a conference championship in football well suddenly you are this terrible person.