Wisconsin Cannibal Sandwich

Asithappens

Maybe this should be in food & travel, but this falls under the "you can't fix stupid" category. 

Now, if you butcher your own meat, just maybe, but don't eat raw ground meat, folks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/us/cannibal-sandwich-wisconsin-trnd/index.html

Wisconsin residents are being urged by health officials to pass on eating a traditional holiday dish this year to avoid getting sick.

A "cannibal sandwich," considered a holiday favorite in the state, consists of raw ground beef on bread with sliced onions, salt and pepper.
But, "eating raw meat is NEVER recommended because of the bacteria it can contain," the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) said in a tweet on Saturday.

I think off-the-shelf ground beef is more dangerous than grind it yourself due to surface area and length of exposure.

Oddly enough, "steak tartare" is known in Europe as "steack a l'Americaine."  Carpaccio was "invented" in 1950.

It seems to come from German immigrants, which explains the Wisconsin connection.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think off-the-shelf ground beef is more dangerous than grind it yourself due to surface area and length of exposure.

Oddly enough, "steak tartare" is known in Europe as "steack a l'Americaine."  Carpaccio was "invented" in 1950.

It seems to come from German immigrants, which explains the Wisconsin connection.

Mett.  Popular German breakfast, made with raw ground pork:

Naturex-says-botanical-blends-beat-artif

On our last trip, I ate it three mornings in a row.  Nice breakfast with a cup of coffee, a dash of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon. 

But then, the Germans are a LOT more fastidious about their food safety than we are.

And most Parisa recipes have a little citric acid involved to “cook” the meat. 

Don’t tell Jess Pryles that. She insists her citrus-free recipe in her book is the ONLY recipe used in the castroville/hondo area. She had so much going for her...as much as a fake Texan could anyways.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Don’t tell Jess Pryles that. She insists her citrus-free recipe in her book is the ONLY recipe used in the castroville/hondo area. She had so much going for her...as much as a fake Texan could anyways.

Yeah, I have a recipe book with about 7 different versions, four of which contain lemon juice. Not a definitive ingredient but not out of place at all. I like Jess though generally.

• Like 1