Formula 1 2021

wood

Just now, elfenix said:

anyway, feel like on this track (and a few others) they need to split Q1 like indycar does. 

I will be stunned if there is not a red flag during qualifying.

Just now, elfenix said:

anyway, feel like on this track (and a few others) they need to split Q1 like indycar does. 

it's gonna take a horrific wreck taking out a challenger or someone getting seriously hurt for them to make a change.

imagine if the championship is resolved because Haas car takes out Lewis and Max wins pole in quali (or vice versa)

there are better ways to do this.

4 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Haven't seen anything but speculation about being "operational" in nature. Not sure how this will affect Formula 1, but for a brand new track it would have been nice to have some rubbering in from other competitions. 

So what was going on here? Was this before FP1 got started? When I watched FP1 on my DVR, everything seemed normal and FP1 seemed to start as usual. Maybe they picked it up after the delay.

I'm guessing this was while the track was drying from being swept & washed? They did a great job cleaning it, as it was filthy before, and the grip levels in both FPs seemed very good.

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

spacer.pngG

FWIW (and I know it's not much), but Lewis led Max by 0.367s at Brazil in FP1.

We had Alonso on the podium; is it too much to ask the F1 gods for a Kimi podium in the next two races?

I get the feeling neither Lewis or Max is showing any of their true pace yet. Max's first run on hards held up as P1 for most of the first half of FP1, and then at the end, he went purple and then green, then sorta just cruised to the finish and was just a couple of tenths off of Lewis.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I legit want to know what time a complete amateur would do on some of these tracks. The person gets to sim just like they do, but then hop in for a practice session. I'd guess 1:50 for this if they didn't put it in the wall? I just think the average person would flip out about the Gs they pull on these turns.

They would. And the braking Gs would be much worse. I've seen people come back from rides in those two-seaters who can barely hold their heads up.

Oh, and this track is beautiful, day or night. I remember people on other boards complaining that it'll be like racing through a construction zone or like Valencia or Korea, but it doesn't look that way at all. I'm pretty blown away at how well the whole thing has come together given the pics we saw leading up to the race.

Don't know how it will race, but it looks amazingly fun to drive, and the drivers seem to love it.

3 hours ago, faps said:

Makes me think of Richard Hammond driving the old, awesome 2005 Renault F1 car. He couldn't even drive it fast enough to keep the tires and brakes hot.

Yep. And it took him forever to get it in gear and even move. A layman would have no chance because they wouldn't dare drive fast enough to get the downforce and cool the brakes.  No chance at even finishing a lap. 

• Like 1

My prediction for qualifying is the most common you can imagine: HAM, VER, BOT.  Q3 ends with VER, BOT on hot laps when Leclerc puts it into the wall, creating a red flag.

And then Sunday is just a procession.

9 hours ago, NoName said:

it's hilarious the difference between #1 and #17 (~1.73 seconds) is the same as the difference between #19 and Mazepin (~1.64 seconds)

Yep. Haas’ car is a dog, but Mick is at least hanging on to the rear of the field. Maz….lulz. 

I haz cry. Putting in an awesome lap and then...

I can't imagine much passing on this track tomorrow. And with Bottas in between Hamilton and Verstappen, I don't even think Bottas has to intentionally slow him down to essentially let Hamilton be able to fly down the road without anyone impeding. If Max doesn't get to P2 by turn one, then it might be already over. 

19 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Also, crazy composure from Max to not be enraged and punching shit.

Dad looked like Donkey Kong during that slow-motion tantrum they showed though. 

That was a hell of a lap until it wasn't. 

Hope that both championships are as close as possible going into the final race. 

• Like 1

Well, it was likely someone would put it in the wall in Q3. Tsunoda or maybe Charleclair. I wouldn’t have thought it’d be Max. That was a lap absolutely on the edge. Two tenths up but one blip of the brake pedal into the final turn. From pole and driving off into the distance to maybe starting 8th if he broke the gearbox  

What a season. 

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Dad looked like Donkey Kong during that slow-motion tantrum they showed though. 

That was a hell of a lap until it wasn't. 

Hope that both championships are as close as possible going into the final race. 

Yeah it really was. He was absolutely flying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Wow. Just getting caught up now. I gasped when he struck the wall because I was already on the edge of my seat. This track is a nightmare.

I'm a Max fan, but I can't blame the track. It's like Monaco. You make a mistake, and there are consequences. IMHO, we need more tracks that automatically penalize mistakes ... whether it be by the use of grass and gravel, or walls.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, wood said:

I'm a Max fan, but I can't blame the track. It's like Monaco. You make a mistake, and there are consequences. IMHO, we need more tracks that automatically penalize mistakes ... whether it be by the use of grass and gravel, or walls.

Oh for sure. I mean nightmare in the best possible way. 

• Hook 'Em 1