Clemson vs Notre Dame in A Conference Clash

notre dame joe

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. Aggy's argument is "no Trevor in the first game" but they conveniently ignore the fact that ND's resume is comparable even if you completely ignore that game (which you can't). Plus his backup threw for 400+ yards anyway.

It was interesting that Kirk and Fowler weren't even really debating if ND would make it. They had OSU more on the bubble (which is kind of dumb)

So Brian Kelly's post-game campaigning was "we have 2 top 15 wins, including one over Clemson, and we've played 11 games"

Jimbos was basically "1 loss secsec"

Side note but if they knock ND out, it's a pretty big indictment on CCG's. Basically punish the ACC for having it while rewarding Aggy for missing theirs

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So Brian Kelly's post-game campaigning was "we have 2 top 15 wins, including one over Clemson, and we've played 11 games"

Side note but if they knock ND out, it's a pretty big indictment on CCG's. Basically punish the ACC for having it while rewarding Aggy for missing theirs

I was waiting all week for ND to come down with the covid and just cancel the game and let the committee sort it out. We all knew what was coming today. Clemson was going to roll with Lawrence and their defensive players back. This was their best chance. It was a big spread for a 2 vs 3 game because Clemson is light years ahead of ND in terms of talent and coaching. They proved it a few years ago and did it again today.

The only team who really benefits this weekend from these games is Ohio St. They desperately needed another win and win their conference. ND, Clemson, Bama could all have their games cancelled and they would all be in.

I just hate the committee punishing teams for going to this game and losing and rewarding teams who did not even win their division and did not even put themselves at risk. Bama benefited from this twice in 2011 and 2017.

I do not want to see Clemson buttfuck ND again in a few weeks but I think their resume is better than aggy. Eye test or paper, ND had a better season. It's just ND lost today and it is fresh and people forget aggy got dismantled just like ND did when they played Bama.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was waiting all week for ND to come down with the covid and just cancel the game and let the committee sort it out. We all knew what was coming today. Clemson was going to roll with Lawrence and their defensive players back.

The only team who really benefits this weekend from these games is Ohio St. They desperately needed another win and win their conference. ND, Clemson, Bama could all have their games cancelled and they would all be in.

I just hate the committee punishing teams for going to this game and losing and rewarding teams who did not even win their division and did not even put themselves at risk. Bama benefited from this twice in 2011 and 2017.

I do not want to see Clemson buttfuck ND again in a few weeks but I think their resume is better than aggy. Eye test or paper, ND had a better season. It's just ND lost today and it is fresh and people forget aggy got dismantled just like ND did when they played Bama.

Yeah the fact that ND has a win over Clemson makes it interesting. I think they could still make it in over aggy because of that and being a bigger name.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Yeah the fact that ND has a win over Clemson makes it interesting. I think they could still make it in over aggy because of that and being a bigger name.

ND also has a win over top 15 UNC which more or less cancels out the Florida win. Assuming the losses cancel out, ND's win over Clemson takes it. 

Then there are the unofficial considerations - do we want a Bama-Aggy blowout rematch in round 1? No. Do we want to reward a team for not making their CCG while punishing another? No.

In short, I think ND gets in. Herbie and Fowler made it sound like they didn't think it's really in question.

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Since aggy didn’t win conference, I think they are out no matter what and probably also with selection’s committee because LSU beating Gator should give ND the edge over aggy since Gator will have three losses if Bama wins.  If Gator should pull the upset tonight, then it will be chaos.

Reason #8 Conferences are dumb is that the 'championship game' is often not even the 5th most interesting game of the season.  Seeing Bama crush Missouri or OU crush  . . . Misssouri doesn't tell us who was best in show. 

36 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The PC has consistently picked the 11-1 school with the best helmet.  And that team is usually better than than the G5 or hot 2-loss team.

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Trevor Lawrence might be the most sure thing since Peyton Manning. He's just that good. He really doesn't have many weakness, except maybe speed when he runs, but he still gets it done on the ground anyway. He should convincingly win the Heisman, and I usually don't give a shit about that award. 

Lawrence has serious competition for the Heisman but I agree with you.  He is a more than adequate rushing qb and his decision making/ability to make all throws define him as what I consider the best player in CFB this year.  ND had no answer for his ability to avoid the rush, move the chains, and hit the open receiver consistently. Big time player whose record in big games speaks for itself. Who knows what the voters are going to do here-after the decision to award the 2005 trophy to Reggie over Vince the significance factor went down the shitter for me. Loved it when Vince said no thanks in 2010 when offered the vacated 2005 award.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, wildturkey8 said:

Ohio State doesn't belong in the playoff.  They have looked average in a mediocre Big 10.

You're absolutely, unequivocally correct.  But they're an automatic in because college football has absolute shit for integrity.  There is no way, none, that they're one of the 4 best teams this year.  None.  Nevertheless, all this playoff garbage is now is a money contest.  Well, make it rain, bitches!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

You're absolutely, unequivocally correct.  But they're an automatic in because college football has absolute shit for integrity.  There is no way, none, that they're one of the 4 best teams this year.  None.  Nevertheless, all this playoff garbage is now is a money contest.  Well, make it rain, bitches!

Now? That was known from the very first year it was put together. 

6 hours ago, pch said:

Lawrence has serious competition for the Heisman but I agree with you.  He is a more than adequate rushing qb and his decision making/ability to make all throws define him as what I consider the best player in CFB this year.  ND had no answer for his ability to avoid the rush, move the chains, and hit the open receiver consistently. Big time player whose record in big games speaks for itself. Who knows what the voters are going to do here-after the decision to award the 2005 trophy to Reggie over Vince the significance factor went down the shitter for me. Loved it when Vince said no thanks in 2010 when offered the vacated 2005 award.

Well said. I do agree he has some serious competition in Devonta Smith, tho. I don't believe Mac Jones (lol) or Najee Harris is going to be that close. Smith? Sure. He's a superstar in the making.