2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

Goddamn....those pics of Kawhi with Toronto are jarring. I hate that mother fucker more than I’ve ever hated anyone. Except maybe Bob Stoops and any Texan that plays for Ou.

Username checks out. Fuck it. 

• Haha 1

https://projectspurs.com/2018/07/20/two-financial-questions-after-derozan-leonard-trade/

Here's the possible options with Gasol. The Bazemore scenario would be interesting if we weren't already guard heavy.

Either way, this is almost certainly the last year Gasol is with the Spurs. If there isn't a viable trade option they will just waive him before July 1st and stretch the $6.7 million over 3 years. 

Edited by texasstrong12

https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/In-Walker-the-Spurs-coach-sees-another-Manu-13092194.php

"In Walker, the Spurs coach sees another Manu" 

Interesting. I would have never guessed this would be the player comp for Walker. 

During the draft, Billups or whoever the former player was, compared him to Dwyane Wade. I’m holding him to that.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:47 PM, Hate said:

Goddamn....those pics of Kawhi with Toronto are jarring. I hate that mother fucker more than I’ve ever hated anyone. Except maybe Bob Stoops and any Texan that plays for Ou.

This really should be renamed "The Kawhi Leonard Turned into a Bitch-Ass, Malingering Prima Dona and Broke Our Hearts" thread.

#metooKLfu

• Like 3

Tobias Harris is why I'm not upset with the DeRozan trade. 

This is likely the type player we probably had a realistic chance with next offseason. Key word realistic. Maybe Kyrie or Jimmy Butler would give us a look but doubtful for a small market team. 

You might think $83 million for DeRozan is bad but how would you feel about 4 years of around $100-$145 million for Tobias Harris? 

ESPN.com's Early Rankings has the Spurs as the first team out in the West:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24165876/nba-power-rankings-how-lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-change-everything

sa.png?w=110&h=110

13. San Antonio Spurs (9)
2017-18 record: 47-35
Result: L, West Round 1
Previous rank: No. 6

The Summer of Kawhi finally came to an end, delivering DeMar DeRozan and Jakob Poeltl to San Antonio in return (plus a protected first-round draft pick). The Spurs have had a major offseason of change. San Antonio managed to lose two former Finals MVPs in Leonard and Tony Parker. The Spurs also lost Swiss Army knife Kyle Anderson to Memphis. DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge are now running the show for this team that refused to rebuild, and look for rookie Lonnie Walker IV to potentially make an impact for Gregg Popovich. --Youngmisuk

• Key additions: Lonnie Walker IV, Chimezie Metu, Marco Belinelli, Dante Cunningham, DeMar DeRozan and Jakob Poeltl

• Key subtractions: Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Kyle Anderson

I think we are going to have a scrappy high IQ team this season. 50 wins. 4-6 seed. 2nd round exit.

2019-20 we might make a run. Conference finals. Durant gets bored. We sweep raptors for number seis. Kawhi yells at uncle Dennis on the court after the game and quits basketball.

32 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I think we are going to have a scrappy high IQ team this season. 50 wins. 4-6 seed. 2nd round exit.

2019-20 we might make a run. Conference finals. Durant gets bored. We sweep raptors for number seis. Kawhi yells at uncle Dennis on the court after the game and quits basketball.

https://gifer.com/en/QqSP

Lol Danny Green had misdiagnosed torn groin last season. Kawhi and his uncle are idiots but for an organization like the spurs that prides itself on being at the forefront of everything like this... This is something that needs to be fixed. Terrible look indeed. 

Of course, their practice facility is sharing space with their medical folks so it's not like there is any conflict of interest. 

So much for being the model franchise in all of pro sports. You might as well bring back Bob Bass and John Begzos at this point. 

51 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Appears that way

I don’t follow this logic at all.

Kawhi’s docs took over in August and didn’t have him ready even through the following April.  And he still hasn’t proven they’ve gotten him healthy.  How is that an indictment on the Spurs’ staff?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welch said:

I don’t follow this logic at all.

Kawhi’s docs took over in August and didn’t have him ready even through the following April.  And he still hasn’t proven they’ve gotten him healthy.  How is that an indictment on the Spurs’ staff?

Because Kawhi was faking and is a malingerer.

Michael c wright on Lowe post pod (paraphrasing)

"Spurs wanted to rule Kawhi out for the year, but he wouldn't let them because he was trying hard to get back. People who were at the rehab workouts in NYC say he was working his ass off to get right, it just never got better."

"Tony arranged the players only meeting. Kawhi stood his ground about not coming back til he was ready. Kawhi told teammates he would do anything for the guys in the room, but not necessarily for the organization."

5 hours ago, Kermit said:

Maybe the Spurs need a new medical staff.

How interconnected are the Spurs medical staff with the medical school in San Antonio? The medical school almost lost its accreditation in 2011 and was on probation from 2011-2013.

I know these are 2 completely separate issues, but it does make me wonder what the fuck is going on. Do the Spurs have the best doctors in the country, or just medical school sports medicine professors proclaiming to be the best in the country? 

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Because Kawhi was faking and is a malingerer.

Well, that’s pretty much where I stand.  Again, though, that’s not something the Spurs’ doctors could have prevented.

And fuck Kawhi and his “trying hard to get back” nonsense.  Only thing he was trying hard to do during the playoffs was catch a game at Dodger Stadium.