Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Even if Coleman won't be used as a recruiter, his WR group was nothing special this year. Couldn't beat press coverage on the outside.

Bringing him back is not the recipe for replicating Alabama's WR attack.

I don't disagree our WRs didn't play very well, but I'm not sure bringing up tweets about the team's lack of empty formation usage, of which the WR coach has no control over, helps make your point about the WR coach. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. I admitted to the stupidity of Texas and its penchant for such behaviors, so I'm not "acting as if" anything can't happen. The "cross" line was a joke that some picked up.

We should place a bet though. I think this is a hill you and I should die on, for sure. We could do avatar replacements, money, board banishments forever, some other digital feat of stupidity or instability, you name it.

LOL....I've been accused of my avatar being a self portrait, so I'm not sure it would need to be changed if I am wrong. This is certainly no hill I choose to die on, as I have learned that nothing that happens with this program is easily predictable, accept for the shit show we have seen on Saturdays. I am simply ready for this coaching shit to be put to bed, and hopefully we don't have to do this again in 4 more years.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Even if Coleman won't be used as a recruiter, his WR group was nothing special this year. Couldn't beat press coverage on the outside.

This was in part due to Ehlinger frequently not being accurate down the field, and guys like Black and Schooner not being able to chase down or track deep balls even when they were accurate 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I don't disagree our WRs didn't play very well, but I'm not sure bringing up tweets about the team's lack of empty formation usage, of which the WR coach has no control over, helps make your point about the WR coach. 

His whole point is that was the only way to consistently scheme our WRs open, because they weren't doing much on the outside. Teams knew they could press Moore/Washington and take them out of the game for long stretches. Not to mention Black/Schooler...

Edited by satyanash

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hopefully Sark will stop recruiting the big guys who can't do anything and get more small, quick twitch types like what OU has been kicking our ass with forever. Give me Hollywood Brown types over Brennan Eagles and Collin Johnson's all day long.

Edited by GeoffE
correct spelling
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

hmm.  interesting.  when the analyst thing got started by Saban (and under Mack) I thought the rule was they just look at game film and talk to coaches(no field, no player interaction, no recruiting).  maybe the rule is vague and teams have been exploiting it.

If I remember correctly:

1. They coach in practice

2a. They recruit on the phone and during recruiting visits. They are NOT allowed to recruit off-campus. 

2b. The off-campus rule is easily enforceable.

3a. They can be on the sideline on gameday, but are NOT supposed to coach or have much contact with the players.

3b. Alabama, and others, have been accused of breaking this rule, but it is really hard to enforce.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

His whole point is that was the only way to consistently scheme our WRs open, because they weren't doing much on the outside. Teams knew they could press Moore/Washington and take them out of the game for long stretches. Not to mention Black/Schooler...

Yah, I thought about that a little more after I responded. True enough. Still not sure if that's all on the WR coaching, though.

Edited by UncleBuck

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It's weird, because he hasn't seriously been rumored in any of the already available jobs... but all the sudden Philly comes open and that's "the one?"

It's been a banner year for Coach Bro/sprinting midget and Baker Mayfield while Sean McVay is holding himself together with Goff.  Too easy to look back into the college ranks and expect to pull out another hat.

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why FloridaHorn, are we cross? What an ugly tone. I tell you what, we should have a bet on it. You can take the position that Texas will release the assistant coaching list right before gametime of the college football national title game to "make the biggest splash" and I'll take the position that that reads like fantasy and will not happen. Let's bet something on it. 

Also, that's the dumbest fucking PR move ever if they actually do that. Tomorrow would be a great day to do that shit. Tonight is terrible timing and just stupid. So, hey, maybe it does happen since Texas always does stupid shit like that. 

Also also, remember that time right before the Bama/ND semifinal in which they announced Sarkisian to Texas in order to "make the biggest splash?" Yeah, me neither. 

tenor.gif?itemid=16977289

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Ha. I admitted to the stupidity of Texas and its penchant for such behaviors, so I'm not "acting as if" anything can't happen. The "cross" line was a joke that some picked up.
We should place a bet though. I think this is a hill you and I should die on, for sure. We could do avatar replacements, money, board banishments forever, some other digital feat of stupidity or instability, you name it.

No fisting or meat? How boring!

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You quoted me as though I’ve offered a value judgment on keeping Coleman. I didn’t. I’ve offered ways in which he could still be on staff that aren’t just “he’s the on-field coach.” I don’t know whether keeping him in any capacity is good or bad. I lean towards “next man up” and showing him the door, but that wasn’t in my post. 

In reality, I have a hard time forming an opinion on Coleman because:

a) Tom Herman’s predictable and shitty offense limits any particular group’s effectiveness and

b) Whatever anyone thinks of Sam Ehlinger, he was never accurate with throwing to the outside or deep, and this year he sucked shit through a straw at both. I don’t care about why that happened, it simply did happen. 

So maybe Coleman sucks, maybe he doesn’t. I won’t be excited if he’s retained in his current capacity, but will be mostly pleased if he’s used off the recruiting trail as an extra coach. 

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why FloridaHorn, are we cross? What an ugly tone. I tell you what, we should have a bet on it. You can take the position that Texas will release the assistant coaching list right before gametime of the college football national title game to "make the biggest splash" and I'll take the position that that reads like fantasy and will not happen. Let's bet something on it. 

Also, that's the dumbest fucking PR move ever if they actually do that. Tomorrow would be a great day to do that shit. Tonight is terrible timing and just stupid. So, hey, maybe it does happen since Texas always does stupid shit like that. 

Also also, remember that time right before the Bama/ND semifinal in which they announced Sarkisian to Texas in order to "make the biggest splash?" Yeah, me neither. 

You had that whole conversation with yourself, that's pretty damn impressive. You set the bet up, gave argument for both sides, and then closed hard. Rule number one about fight club.....

• Hook 'Em 2

Wiki:

Patricia played at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) where he was a four-year letterman as a center and guard with the Engineers football team from 1992 to 1995. While in college, Patricia was indicted for sexual assault stemming from an incident during a visit to South Padre Island. The charges were later dismissed.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

a) Tom Herman’s predictable and shitty offense limits any particular group’s effectiveness and

b) Whatever anyone thinks of Sam Ehlinger, he was never accurate with throwing to the outside or deep, and this year he sucked shit through a straw at both. I don’t care about why that happened, it simply did happen. 

This is where I'm at with it. I won't lie, once apathy set in this season, I didn't pay attention to the in-game game as much as normal, but 

a) goes without saying

b) a QB with good sideline and out throws helps that situation out tremendously, and that wasn't Sam, this year or ever.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Matt Patricia is a giant fucking asshole.  His ego makes Herman's look reasonable.  He shit the bed in Detroit.  He hasn't coached in college for almost two decades.  He was with the Patriots for something like 15 years and didn't learn a god damn thing.

Do not want.

It could explain the Bo Davis 😮

I would think Patricia would be an analyst hire, if at all. I don't see him jumping from HC of the Lions right into a college DC gig. That seems an odd fit. Especially with his name tainted a bit by his experience in Detroit. But joining a staff as an analyst and give something to do while he waits for his next real opportunity? Would make sense and explain those zoom calls with Sark (assuming the guy isn't just completely full of shit, which he probably is). Edit: Difference between Patricia and someone like Quinn, who I think did get real DC consideration, is Quinn was a DC in college before. Patricia hasn't done college work other than grad assistant shit at Syracuse

Side note about Coleman: maybe this is an insane suggestion but couldn't he simply be coaching TEs if we are also getting Wiggins? A lot of programs basically combine the two units for the lion share of their drills and practice time and then shuffle the TEs in with OL for blocking scheme stuff. All his comments about Coleman 'working with the wideouts' would absolutely be true if half the time he is helping run WR drills along with Wiggins. The complete lack of names being floated for TE coach (I don't buy the Banks talk) has me thinking something like that is at least possible if unlikely. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Wiki:

Patricia played at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) where he was a four-year letterman as a center and guard with the Engineers football team from 1992 to 1995. While in college, Patricia was indicted for sexual assault stemming from an incident during a visit to South Padre Island. The charges were later dismissed.

stripes.png

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I would think Patricia would be an analyst hire, if at all. I don't see him jumping from HC of the Lions right into a college DC gig. That seems an odd fit. Especially with his name tainted a bit by his experience in Detroit. But joining a staff as an analyst and give something to do while he waits for his next real opportunity? Would make sense and explain those zoom calls with Sark (assuming the guy isn't just completely full of shit, which he probably is). 

Side note about Coleman: maybe this is an insane suggestion but couldn't he simply be coaching TEs if we are also getting Wiggins? A lot of programs basically combine the two units for the lion share of their drills and practice time and then shuffle the TEs in with OL for blocking scheme stuff. All his comments about Coleman 'working with the wideouts' would absolutely be true if half the time he is helping run WR drills along with Wiggins. The complete lack of names being floated for TE coach (I don't buy the Banks talk) has me thinking something like that is at least possible if unlikely. 

Coleman's background is with wide receivers and special teams. It makes no sense to put him at TEs, especially when he's supposed to be a better coach than recruiter.

The only thing that would make sense is that we go back to the two-coach setup for WRs, with the inside WRs guy being a recruiter who also takes TEs.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Coleman's background is with wide receivers and special teams. It makes no sense to put him at TEs, especially when he's supposed to be a better coach than recruiter.

The only thing that would make sense is that we go back to the two-coach setup for WRs, with the inside WRs guy being a recruiter who also takes TEs.

This may be accurate and if that is the case then it doesn't sound as bad. Apparently the IT guys are saying Coleman is damn good at developing relationships with the recruits.

Coleman TE's/Inside WR's with a Simmons/Wiggins as outside WRs coach and other applicable titles

Edited by BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Clearly Cade Brewer is simply going to be a Player-Coach for the TE position

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, GeoffE said:

Hopefully Sark will stop recruiting the big guys who can't do anything and get more small, quick twitch types like what OU has been kicking our ass with forever. Give me Hollywood Brown types over Brennan Eagles and Collin Johnson's all day long.

Beating press coverage was one of Collin Johnson's biggest strengths. He would have been a huge asset on the outside for last year's offense.

Edited by satyanash