Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
We’ve mentioned Milwee isn’t big on recruiting but there are numerous ways to positively affect recruiting. From someone who knows the dynamic:

“He’s also masterful with breaking down film for game planning but also with recruiting. It’s one of the primary reasons he is Sark’s #1.”

From a different person who reads this board:

“Extremely smart and analytical. Really good QB too, if you look up his HS and college career. Think his Dad was a coach as well. Double check me on that. 100% Hayek guy to continue your analogy...”

Still don’t know who the DC is. I’m not sure Sarkisian does yet, either. I think it’s narrowed down to a couple but I don’t know who. I‘m expecting it to be a name we haven’t discussed much. Which is exciting, and scary.

Blake Gideon is friends with the North Shore OC. Kyle Flood has pulled two offensive linemen from the school in back to back years. Bo Davis coached there many moons ago.

UT should be okay recruiting the former pipeline school.

Terry Joseph can be the corners coach on a good recruiting staff but he’d be safeties coach on a great recruiting staff. It’s still to be determined what type of staff this will be.

He’s a better recruiter than given credit for.

There are a lot of advocates for Joseph’s coaching ability.

Blake Gideon is seen as a bridge to the younger group of Texas high school coaches. He’s friends with some notable ones. His relationships may not be what lands key recruits but he may unlock the door for others to do so.

He’s also seen as a very good ST’s coach. We’re still unsure what other position designation he’ll have.

Have heard there will be a concerted effort to make sure Sarkisian knows who all the key people are in the high school ranks right out of the gates. It sounds similar to when Mack Brown was immediately introduced to the head of the THSCA (his name escapes me) upon arrival. Mack took it from there.

So Nahlin continues to claim Milwee isn’t big on recruting while providing absolutely 0 evidence to support that, but his quoted source literally says Milwee’s “masterful” at recruiting.  Ok, Eric. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

I honestly love the idea of having coaches on the staff who can help strengthen the relationship with high school coaches across Texas. That was something Mack was masterful at. Strong didn't care to do anything beyond coaching and he wasn't even good at that. Herman was arrogant enough to think people would just fall in line. Hopefully Sark has the wherewithal to realize that alignment in the program means he needs to make sure Texas has good relationships at the high school level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, alincoln said:

And Mack's coordinator search in 2011.  Strong was also shot down by some of his targets.  

Oh, the great Charlie Strong coaching search.

Strong: "Can I have Tom Herman or Chad Morris?"

Patterson: "No, those are two unattainable options."

Strong: "Oh well, I guess I'll have to hire Shawn Watson." 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I don't buy that Football scoop article claiming Arnett is or has always been our top target. If that is true we have gone about this in a profoundly idiotic way. Could have locked him up days ago before Oregon got involved and certainly while LSU was still jerking itself to the idea of Freeman. We could still get Arnett but now it'll come with a 3 way bidding war driving up his price. So why wouldn't that have already been taken care of? Were we holding out for Quinn? That would be a pretty fucking dumb reason as him staying in the NFL was predictable as hell. 

The Raymond ghosting stuff is just bizarre and I'm not even going to bother trying to understand it until the hiring process is over. I'm a bit concerned we are trying to slow play him because Sark prefers Tosh and knows there isn't room for both plus the primary DC but Raymond is the kind of a guy where if you are getting a yes you take a yes and just write off whatever your 'alternative' plans were. 

Ash ultimately being the guy would feel like a bit of a dick punch but I went into this process reconciled to his return and being mostly okay with it so despite some sexier names having come and gone I guess I can't bitch if he is the choice. Especially if we just keep Hutzler. Would make that Joseph hire.. just fucking weird though since he isn't that great a complimentary piece to Ash. Lots of overlap in skillset and specialty. 

Football Scoop didn't say Arnett was the top target just that he was a top target - implying one of a possible few top targets.  I think if Arnett was the guy he'd have an offer by now and wouldn't be interviewing all over the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Really hoping the "Sark isn't returning Raymond's calls" thing is just misdirection. I like the Joseph hire but him being the main secondary coach isn't ideal imo, if we could pair him with an established CBs coach it'd be fantastic.

I don't think either are necessarily bad coaches but not sure how I feel about a secondary coached by Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon.

There isn't a chance in hell that Sarkisian is ignoring the calls from one of the best DB coaches in the country. Not sure where this rumor started, but it reads like total made up bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Lol imagine admitting that you literally dont know shit to your subscribers

Nahlin said as much a couple days ago when posters were trying to decipher his 'code' - f they knew who the hire was they would let the site know - even if they didn't 'report' it.  But they don't.

I mean - if the hire hasn't been made and Sark is still interviewing guys - what should the sites be reporting? 

• Hook 'Em 3

Legitimate question, so flame away if needed; but were they his guys? 
Were they not who Herman hired?
(and yes I’m assuming Herman, being the smartest football Mensa’ing coach to walk the earth told his DC whom to hire)

Valai was. Beyond that, no not really.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

And don't forget rape (Riep)

There is more than players missing wrong with tOSUs defense.  Imagine being a defense in 2020 and not having any sort of match zone coverages. #B1GFootball

Edited by JBJ

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think the guys mentioned today are as follows:

Milwee

Flood

Gideon

Becton

Joesph

and possibly Bo Davis.

add in some support staff and this is probably the right list of dudes

again, it is really really weird to have this many defensive hires announced w/o a DC

37 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This job would help him become the future head coach of Wisky.

He's already in line for the job. How does leaving his current job make the HC gig open up sooner?

34 minutes ago, alincoln said:

After years (decades) of settling for 4th and 5th options for staff positions, you would think we would understand that Texas can't just money whip elite coordinators and assistants into coming here.  

We have more evidence that says money-whipping doesn't work, or we're not willing to do it. I can't actually think of one instance we have money whipped an elite HC/assistant to come to Texas. And yet, it's the proposed solution every single time there is an opening on the staff. "Just money-whip so-and-so". 

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Wrong. Strong and Herman were the problem not Texas. Texas can money whip.

We are paying a premium because we understand we are disadvantaged. That's what a money whip is. You can't simultaneously say we can money-whip but blame our inability to do so previously on the head coaches. If the job was a good one, at a stable program under a great head coach, then you don't have to money whip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry, man, but the "Strong got shot down on his OC offers" premise is bullshit, flatly. He half-assed a search and waited long enough to justify bringing in Watson.

Frankly, I disagree with your general premise about the money-whipping issue. We haven't even attempted it enough in our lifetimes to take the position that it's not enough to get people to Texas. That's also just bullshit. I wish we'd tried it way more often. Mack Brown was able to get people by money-whipping them repeatedly, by the way. Robinson, Muschamp, Chizik, Diaz, Harsin. They were all first choices and paid way above prior salary levels to come here. It works just fine, just like at every other big program, when there's a hope or belief that the guy in charge isn't a fucking imbecile or dead man walking.

Nahlin is always impressive when it comes to ignoring actual facts and data points and pressing forward with his own bullshit narrative. He was straight up fucking wrong on Golding. He manufactured that premise out of whole cloth and got others to bite on it. It had the stench of his worst traits from the jump.

The same is exactly true with his "Milwee sucks at recruiting" premise. He's pushing that out there and others are picking it up as fact, and there is literally no truth to it. Nahlin doesn't know a motherfucking thing about Milwee's recruiting prowess and he can't just shut the fuck up about it and admit it. Just let it play out and then create judgment against performance. Nope, he's got to let everyone know ahead of time that he, in fact, knows. Well, he doesn't.

Nahlin didn't fucking follow Milwee's recruiting at Akron. I am not going to be surprised when his dumbass attempts to claim he did, or that "he spoke to someone close to the Akron program while Milwee was there", but neither concept is, or will be, true. That's pure fiction.

At Alabama, I'm fucking closer to people there than he is, and they don't really know much about Milwee's recruiting either. He's doggedly energetic on evaluations and enjoys interacting with targets, which are great signs. But he was a fucking analyst at Bama, so how much beyond the halo effect of being there can he get credit for? On the flip, there isn't a soul there that doesn't think he can recruit.

He was literally the first guy picked to join a staff by two solid offensive minds in Butch Jones and Steve Sarkisian. That flies in the fucking face of the idea that he can't recruit or doesn't know how to do so. Anyone carrying Nahlin's water here on this one will get negged every time by me, and I hope the other recruitniks. If Milwee turns out to be a shit recruiter, fine, we'll all see it, but there is zero foundation in that now and it is fucking board noise from an easy liar when it suits him.

it's a really weird direction to take when as you say there is no way of knowing for him. it isn't like he has a history of recruiting in Texas (so his info isn't coming from TXHSFB coaches/staff/players), he absolutely isn't close to the Akron football program and he wasn't recruiting on the road at Bama anyway - and even if he was involved with on campus recruiting (which is one place EN could get information from players/coaches who went on visits there) he isn't going to be the main recruiter across the board.

there is just no reason for him to say this shit when there is no way for him to know - or if he does know then he would be posting literally any actual information around why he is saying this.

there is reading the tea leaves and pushing forward with what you think they say and then there is just making shit up - based on everything EN has said, or to be more clear NOT said, about Milwee and recruiting it pretty clearly is falling in the "making shit up" category.

Edit: the number of folks who truly "suck at recruiting" are generally people like John Chavis who hate leaving campus and rarely do. even if you aren't good at it (Oscar Giles) you can look great at big programs when you have someone like Carrington backing you up or you are getting help from people recruiting specific areas who have those relationships. to say that Milwee sucks at recruiting without being very specific about the reasons why shows a lack of ethics from a guy who has a pretty well known history of making shit up for clicks in the past.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin said as much a couple days ago when posters were trying to decipher his 'code' - f they knew who the hire was they would let the site know - even if they didn't 'report' it.  But they don't.

I mean - if the hire hasn't been made and Sark is still interviewing guys - what should the sites be reporting? 

They should be reporting just that - "we don't know, however we do know interviews are happening, and when we know more, we'll tell y'all." Instead, they fed the "it's Golding" take by the time the title game arrived.

That notion came from Bama honks, entitled in their minds to perennial top 5 defenses, tweeting that Golding would be cut loose after the season following the Ole Miss game. The tweets led to Bama board discussions. Months later, Golding, a golden boy of Saban's, is getting his ass kicked out the door for, wait for it, Will Muschamp riding in on a white horse to Tuscaloosa. Oh by the way, with that, now apparently Golding is coming to Texas as an also-ran with Sark. Golding was not mentioned anywhere by anybody until last Wednesday. By last night, he was a done deal. Today? Nope, was never happening. Fucking ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Sadly, this hits close to home, as Texas Football has been quite the circus the past 10years or so...🙁😖😣😡🤬

11 years.

• Hook 'Em 7

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

at this point is EN going to rip off his mask to show he was Jason Higdon the whole time?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Nahlin keeps shitting on Milwee's recruiting chops, when the only point of reference is his time at Akron, as if Nahlin was somehow intimately involved with the Zips program. He wasn't, and here's a newsflash for you....recruiting to Akron is a bit tougher than recruiting to Texas. He was by all accounts Sark's right hand at Bama, and I doubt that Sarkisian turns over his QB room to a guy that he thinks can't relate and get talent to join into said room. 

Edited by FloridaHorn
did not see CTJ's post above...

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He's already in line for the job. How does leaving his current job make the HC gig open up sooner?

We have more evidence that says money-whipping doesn't work, or we're not willing to do it. I can't actually think of one instance we have money whipped an elite HC/assistant to come to Texas. And yet, it's the proposed solution every single time there is an opening on the staff. "Just money-whip so-and-so". 

We are paying a premium because we understand we are disadvantaged. That's what a money whip is. You can't simultaneously say we can money-whip but blame our inability to do so previously on the head coaches. If the job was a good one, at a stable program under a great head coach, then you don't have to money whip. 

He leaves.  Makes more money.  Whiskey defense takes three steps back.  Chryst gets fired.  Leonhard returns. Makes more money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Re Milwee, how do you judge someone's recruiting at Akron?  Or Toledo?  You're likely getting sloppy fifths after the Big ten cleans up.  Let's be honest, Milwee looks like an introverted dweeb herego, lazy journalists and surly mouth breathers say "he's really intelligent, studies a lot, but not much of a recruiter."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He leaves.  Makes more money.  Whiskey defense takes three steps back.  Chryst gets fired.  Leonhard returns. Makes more money.

again...he is from Wisconsin, he played there, he was an All American there, he spent his gap year basically as an analyst there, he has only ever coached there, he is well compensated by them - what would lead you to think he wants poor results for them just so he can get his first job as a head coach at any level there?

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They should be reporting just that - "we don't know, however we do know interviews are happening, and when we know more, we'll tell y'all." Instead, they fed the "it's Golding" take by the time the title game arrived.

That notion came from Bama honks, entitled in their minds to perennial top 5 defenses, tweeting that Golding would be cut loose after the season following the Ole Miss game. The tweets led to Bama board discussions. Months later, Golding, a golden boy of Saban's, is getting his ass kicked out the door for, wait for it, Will Muschamp riding in on a white horse to Tuscaloosa. Oh by the way, with that, now apparently Golding is coming to Texas as an also-ran with Sark. Golding was not mentioned anywhere by anybody until last Wednesday. By last night, he was a done deal. Today? Nope, was never happening. Fucking ridiculous.

11 years.

I suspect Nick wants to keep Golding.  

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And while I recognize Wisconsin is a slightly different animal than UT and Leonhard appears to be a golden child there, I could also see their AD having some degree of hesitation over elevating someone to HC that (currently) has only been a coordinator for four seasons and a CFB coach for a total of five. 

Edited by derpyhorndog
math is hard
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

again...he is from Wisconsin, he played there, he was an All American there, he spent his gap year basically as an analyst there, he has only ever coached there, he is well compensated by them - what would lead you to think he wants poor results for them just so he can get his first job as a head coach at any level there?

My post was in jest but Bryan Harsin played QB at Boise St, lived in Boise, lost his virginity in Boise and yet he still joined Mack?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Anyone know Bo Davis actual twitter account?  Found an unverified Bo Davis account that is following a shit ton of JUCO and FCS players/recruits but hasn't tweeted since 2017.  None of the 9.95'ers follow that account so I assume its bullshit.

this was his Bama coaching account it looks like: https://twitter.com/coach_bdavis - roach follows this one btw

this was his UTSA account i think: https://twitter.com/coachbodavis

betting he doesn't really tweet or have an actual account

43 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Just did an new survey of recent arrivals and inbounds to all ATX-area airports (ABI, Exec, HSB, Georgetown and San Marcos). No planes from MIA leaving after final whistle of the championship game have arrived yet. There are only two currently in-route or scheduled that would be here before the 4 o'clock presser: the one already posted/discussed in the thread that's in the air and arriving at 10:39 a.m. local and this one that hasn't left MIA but is scheduled for a flight arriving in Austin at 2:22 p.m. local. Absent another one popping up last minute, it has to be one of those two.

Also, not to fan the flames, but the sole scheduled/in-bound flight to Georgetown Muni airport right now is coming in from Baraboo, WI airport, which is about 35 miles from Jim Leonhard's home in Cross Plains, WI (40 min travel). For reference, the Dane County airport in Madison is roughly 20 miles from Cross Plains (30 min travel). Probably a glitch in the matrix but a fun happenstance observation.

Looks like that Georgetown flight is the Nelson family. They own the Kalahari waterparks and are from Wisconsin. Opening one in Round Rock. So...not Leonhard.

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

I don't see  how LSU is an attractive alternative for coordinators at this point. It seems they are still on the page we've already turned. I don't see the Ogre, as "colorful" as he is, surviving more than 2 more seasons.

What isn't attractive about signing a guaranteed 2 or 3 year contract and only working one?  Gotta think Yurcich and Ash are pretty good right now.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Is Jim flying with them?

I'll let you know once the plane gets back in wifi range and I can get the feed from my lavatory spycam. Unless of course Jim decided not to take one of his ceremonial mid-flights dumps in celebration of taking a new coaching gig, in which case we're shit out of luck. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Looks like that Georgetown flight is the Nelson family. They own the Kalahari waterparks and are from Wisconsin. Opening one in Round Rock. So...not Leonhard.

Holy shit, we are putting a waterpark in for our guys. This is going to be so much better than that shitty slide and miniature golf course at Clemson.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3