Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Back when ABC coverage maps were a thing a poster asked if Bandera would be getting the Texas game (when it should be obvious that Bandera would get it).

http://www.hornfans.com/threads/ut-vs-isu-coverage.8389/

After clicking the link and taking a stroll down memory lane, I typed in HornFans.com and holy shit, that site is still up and running? There's actually traffic there? Wow.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Having been a Cal fan my entire life, I wouldn't wish that on anyone

Bad attempt at a joke on my part, I guess.  There's an occasional theme that UT admin and AD - in their occasional perceived apathy or inaction - are trying to turn the UT AD "into Cal" with academic standards and other agendas.  If Cal was able to get Marshawn Lynch and DeSean Jackson on the field, their "academic standards" are allowed to slide...

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Our band canceled themselves so no worries.

I haven't read further down the thread yet, but I am assuming when Sarkisian stepped off the plane, CDC was there, playing rousing renditions of The Eyes and Texas Fight on a kazoo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm more irritated that the admin has decided to use FCB as their mouthpiece.  If you're going to do that, at least use a "reporter" who hasn't actively tried to hurt the school and the team.

Kurt Bohls?  

Leonard Sarcasm Sign GIFs | Tenor

1 minute ago, boilerhorn said:

Bad attempt at a joke on my part, I guess.  There's an occasional theme that UT admin and AD - in their occasional perceived apathy or inaction - are trying to turn the UT AD "into Cal" with academic standards and other agendas.  If Cal was able to get Marshawn Lynch and DeSean Jackson on the field, their "academic standards" are allowed to slide...

They werent terrible students but those days are over at Cal.  They're closer to ND and Stanfurd these days in who they admit.  Think they're allowed 1 sub 3.0 gpa admit per class or something these days.

And frankly, considering Cal's budget challenges and struggles to hold onto top notch faculty, I suspect Texas's academic rep is closer to Cal's than most realize these days

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

So Nahlin continues to claim Milwee isn’t big on recruting while providing absolutely 0 evidence to support that, but his quoted source literally says Milwee’s “masterful” at recruiting.  Ok, Eric. 

I cannot forecast to you the mental processes of Nahlin.  He is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, but perhaps there is a key.  That key is IT's monetary interest.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

At least it seems we are keeping our creative team. 

Yes it’s my understanding a lot of them work on non-football stuff too and they were all told right after Sark was announced. Don’t know if everyone was kept but key ones were 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

They werent terrible students but those days are over at Cal.  They're closer to ND and Stanfurd these days in who they admit.  Think they're allowed 1 sub 3.0 gpa admit per class or something these days.

And frankly, considering Cal's budget challenges and struggles to hold onto top notch faculty, I suspect Texas's academic rep is closer to Cal's than most realize these days

Overall academic reputation - yes; absolutely.  Athletics, on the other hand, will not be encumbered in a similar fashion.

Can't see Charlie back to Texas happening in any form, but is the board consensus that there is no role we would be ok with? I think for me it looks like: 

DC: fuck no, we riot

LB: eh, sure I could talk myself into it under the right defensive coordinator who can keep him focused as a teacher/recruiter 

analyst: would be happy with it, can't have enough over-qualified big-names around the facility

• Like 1

He goes from it’s not Arnett to it might be Arnett

[mention=429]closetojumping[/mention] is going to love it
26BD8A7C-470C-45F3-8D35-853C2F9EC3D9.thumb.png.e84b3dc08a85174ed41faa9b8ce7abf9.png

Not that Nahlin knows anything, but it’d be very Texas for things to erupt into a bidding war for a DC with one year of P5 experience at Mississippi State.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Can't see Charlie back to Texas happening in any form, but is the board consensus that there is no role we would be ok with? I think for me it looks like: 

DC: fuck no, we riot

LB: eh, sure I could talk myself into it under the right defensive coordinator who can keep him focused as a teacher/recruiter 

analyst: would be happy with it, can't have enough over-qualified big-names around the facility

Are we sure Charlie is over qualified for an analyst position?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So fucking tired of us just saying, welp let's just roll with it this year and see if it works, if not, we'll replace them. Meanwhile ou wins another conference championship. Hire the best possible now and quit fucking around.

I wouldn't consider this a welp let's roll with it situation. He may actually be the best option left with Boom, Odom, and even Freeman out. And he'd bring continuity. Although Sark must be talking to people we aren't even discussing so maybe there are better options I haven't considered.

Everyone has risk so it's just an added benefit that he's got an easy out if we want to go chase Boom or another whale next year. 

7 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Yep, looks like the Citation X initially predicted. Model appears to match. And it was operated by XOJets - they brand the engines with their company name and you can't make it out in the video but the one Stark stepped out of is clearly branded. 

Edit: And the only other contender just left MIA. The one linked above was the only MIA arrival in ATX since the game, timing of posting video checks out. I'm certain we were correct.

Are we talking about the plane in the video?  That's definitely a Challenger.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

God dammit, where’s the band???

You haven't been paying attention. Our band pussed out this season in spite of the fact that the team and University had come to an agreement regarding The Eyes.

CDC greeted Sarkisian with our school songs on a kazoo.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Haha 1

Yep, looks like the Citation X initially predicted. Model appears to match. And it was operated by XOJets - they brand the engines with their company name and you can't make it out in the video but the one Stark stepped out of is clearly branded. 
Edit: And the only other contender just left MIA. The one linked above was the only MIA arrival in ATX since the game, timing of posting video checks out. I'm certain we were correct.

That’s not an X (the one in the sark vid).

5 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Are we sure Charlie is over qualified for an analyst position?

No...I guess I'm not sure about that but I doubt he couldn't do any damage.

Hire Herman for an analyst role that he feels like he is too good for and his asshole energy probably fucks with with whole building. At least people seem to like Charlie? 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:
We’ve mentioned Milwee isn’t big on recruiting but there are numerous ways to positively affect recruiting. From someone who knows the dynamic:

“He’s also masterful with breaking down film for game planning but also with recruiting. It’s one of the primary reasons he is Sark’s #1.”

From a different person who reads this board:

“Extremely smart and analytical. Really good QB too, if you look up his HS and college career. Think his Dad was a coach as well. Double check me on that. 100% Hayek guy to continue your analogy...”

Still don’t know who the DC is. I’m not sure Sarkisian does yet, either. I think it’s narrowed down to a couple but I don’t know who. I‘m expecting it to be a name we haven’t discussed much. Which is exciting, and scary.

Blake Gideon is friends with the North Shore OC. Kyle Flood has pulled two offensive linemen from the school in back to back years. Bo Davis coached there many moons ago.

UT should be okay recruiting the former pipeline school.

Terry Joseph can be the corners coach on a good recruiting staff but he’d be safeties coach on a great recruiting staff. It’s still to be determined what type of staff this will be.

He’s a better recruiter than given credit for.

There are a lot of advocates for Joseph’s coaching ability.

Blake Gideon is seen as a bridge to the younger group of Texas high school coaches. He’s friends with some notable ones. His relationships may not be what lands key recruits but he may unlock the door for others to do so.

He’s also seen as a very good ST’s coach. We’re still unsure what other position designation he’ll have.

Have heard there will be a concerted effort to make sure Sarkisian knows who all the key people are in the high school ranks right out of the gates. It sounds similar to when Mack Brown was immediately introduced to the head of the THSCA (his name escapes me) upon arrival. Mack took it from there.

You can get more info from our podcast than this shit ass writeup. More "fucks" too. 

Really excited to see what happens in the next 48 hours. We may delay taping to thursday if some big moves haven't happened by then, but tomorrow seems to be a good day to bet on more hires being announced. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Doubtful. That's a prop plane owned and operated by an aero-medical provider

Their leadership page mentions LSU and the flight came straight from Starkville to BR. Obviously not gonna get him to Austin later but may need to keep an eye on that airport if he is getting flown to town today or tomorrow.